• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Dead by Daylight |OT| - We Failed the DST Skill Checks

I have been playing for the last 2 hours on the PS4 the playerbase is decent as I keep getting games quickly. Is there an official gaf group?

I love the Friday 13th game on PS4.
But it feels like the German PS4 Community is already dying a bit which is a shame. :/
Would like to look if this gives me some kind of the same great multiplayer feeling, can you guys recommend any good let's plays?

So when I'm the killer, I like to stay near the hooks sometimes when I put people on them. I get a lot of hate messages about it on Xbone. I'm still pretty new at the game, what is the problem with this play style? If I stay near the hooks, run off and work on generators.

Horseticuffs

Full werewolf off the buckle
So when I'm the killer, I like to stay near the hooks sometimes when I put people on them. I get a lot of hate messages about it on Xbone. I'm still pretty new at the game, what is the problem with this play style? If I stay near the hooks, run off and work on generators.

The crazy thing about this game is that there are tons of crazy unofficial rules that everyone eventually learns. What you're describing sounds like "Hook camping" or "Face camping". It's all really dumb, and I wouldn't stress about it.

If I were one of the killers, knowing there's squads of dudes going around unhooking all my kills, why on Earth would I just let them do that? Now, if they're actively activating gens you may want to stop them, but I usual just do a short patrol of the area around my hook to look for rescuers.

In an ideal situation you've got a dude hooked, someone comes to save them, and you get that person too. Now their ability to repair gens is severely crippled.

MUnited83

For you.

It's a valid strategy. But for what it's worth, you'll get a better score if you just keep being on the move.

People often complain about it because a killer on the move is mutually benefitial to the killer and to the survivors.

Castef

Banned
I'm missing something.

Bought the game on PC (Steam)

Installed.

Entered a lobby for trying it (3 minutes wait)

Got kicked from the lobby.

Entered another lobby (3 minutes wait)

Got kicked from the lobby (maybe because I'm level 1?)

What's happening with the game?

arimanius

The crazy thing about this game is that there are tons of crazy unofficial rules that everyone eventually learns. What you're describing sounds like "Hook camping" or "Face camping". It's all really dumb, and I wouldn't stress about it.

If I were one of the killers, knowing there's squads of dudes going around unhooking all my kills, why on Earth would I just let them do that? Now, if they're actively activating gens you may want to stop them, but I usual just do a short patrol of the area around my hook to look for rescuers.

In an ideal situation you've got a dude hooked, someone comes to save them, and you get that person too. Now their ability to repair gens is severely crippled.

I had that happened to me last game. I was the killer and hooked someone and all 3 people came to try to save him. Why should I move from the hook when survivors are coming to me? Even got my very first hate message ever after the game calling me a camping scum and it was from the guy who escaped and had the most points lol

Just picked this up last night on PS4, and other than lag issues... I actually like this significantly better than Friday the 13th. Like the cat and mouse aspect more than the search for items aspect.

Interesting to see the discussion on "hook camping". I mean, Ill generally try to patrol generators since they are key, but if I hook someone and literally see you coming for them before I can leave... I mean... c'mon!

Interesting to see the discussion on "hook camping". I mean, Ill generally try to patrol generators since they are key, but if I hook someone and literally see you coming for them before I can leave... I mean... c'mon!

You have to understand. When you hook someone you have to go to the other end of the map and face the wall, only that isn't camping.

Drewfonse

This game is so fun. I have Meg up to 35 and Chloe to 9. Having a blast. I still feel like the Hag's ability to teleport to a tripped hex is not fair, especially when she can plaster the area around a hook with them, but otherwise it's great. And so much more tense and fun than FF13th, for me.

Man, when people whine, it's really annoying. I'm mostly a survivor main, so I decided to play killer some more. I did pretty well most of the time, and sometimes the survivors were too good (as soon as I hook someone, I just leave. Camping is zzz).

Anyway, I got accused of hacking when I killed everyone in one game. "You were seeing us through walls," said one of the players, and I just said I could hear or see them trying to be sneaky, so I would investigate. They would just challenge and dismiss my every explanation.

The best one was when I ruined a player's day or something by hooking him at the end. He took it so personally and attacked me and said I was a "bs camping killer" because I cut him off from going through the opened gate. He was Min, and Claudette was a little faster than him, so I stood in his way, and he "hid" behind a tree, so I looked for about two seconds and saw no movement. I went to attack him and downed him (and the Claudette later) near the exit. I picked up the Claudette, took her back a ways, but decided to hook the Min because she was my obsession and I hadn't hooked her at all yet, and the Claudette was on her last hook (and not very good), so I let her crawl to safety.

As soon as the camp accusations came, I just laughed it off 'cause it was ridiculous. He took that two-second staredown as camping, and he was harping on about how he got hooked and that I'm shit, etc. Then I was honest and told him why I hooked him and he was all, "oh, so you TARGETED ME," and I was just dumbfounded that someone could get so butthurt and then call me immature for trying to explain.

On the other hand, one guy did call me a good killer in a different match, so that was nice.

I always say ggwp no matter what after a game. Those games kinda soured my playing mood, though, haha.

My weakness as killer seems to be that I lose people a little easily during chases, but since I play a lot of survivor, I think like one when looking for them, and I'm usually on the money.

From what I have gathered, "face camping" is when you hook someone and then just sit right on them so that other survivors can't even try to get them off the hook. But people seem equally upset about hook camping. I was just in a match yesterday where I hooked someone, turned around to look for a generator, and saw two people sneaking around close to the hook. Why the fuck should I leave at that point when I can hit and potentially down someone else? So I roamed an area close to the hook and the hooked person eventually died because the other survivors never even tried, even though two were close by and at times I was a ways off hitting one of them. Of course I get hate mail after the match.

Or another game recently inside of that hospital or whatever, some person I hooked three times. Hooked them once, patrolled around, came back to the hook just in time to see the person get unhooked, chased them down awhile and got them back onto another hook. Run off somewhere for generators, come back to see the person unhooked again and chase again, eventually downed again and hooked for the kill. Got hate mail for camping. Like.. you had three fucking chances to get away. I chased you and downed you three times. That's why you died. Not from camping.

My reputation on XBL has went from pristine with no obvious mishaps I can think of, to fucking "avoid me" solely because of Dead By Daylight LOL. Fucking hell.

drotahorror

DZUDi0z.png

lol.

fucking pathetic

I wanted F13 to be the DBD killer, and I offered well-constructed and well-spoken criticism that was mostly met with vitriol and laughs. Not saying that everything that I said was how it should have been done but I do think there would be more of a playerbase if some massive changes were made.

In other news, the Huntress is busted and pretty fun to play as and against.

H1PSTER

Myers with M&A, Hex:Ruin, NC and Brutal Strength is fun but when you add Scratched Mirror and Jewelry Box it's just insane... It feels almost unfair.

lordkosc

Picked this up in the most recent humble bundle (I think it will be going on for a week), I have to say I am really enjoying it at the lower levels. Leveled up the hillbilly to rank 5 last night. I have heard there is a toxic community at the higher end of the skill spectrum?

The 1 vs 4 mechanic feels good in this.

I've been playing the fuck out of this since the humble bundle. I guess the thread here isn't very active, but I'm loving it so far. I'm already 49 hours deep, and I can see myself playing a whole bunch.

Sad that F13 didn't do what I wanted, but this game has everything I want.

Meccs

So how is this game if I only play solo? I've heard FT13th requires communication. What about this game?

So how is this game if I only play solo? I've heard FT13th requires communication. What about this game?

There is no in game communication so it's built around not being able to communicate.

Also playing as killer is fun and you would play solo.

dawgparty

It is much better with communication but not terrible alone. Mostly you'd want to use communication to find out if its save to save someone/if the killer is camping someone who has been hooked. A lot of the time I just go for it anyways because I like helping people and rounds aren't so high-stakes imo.

Oreoleo

It's totally fine. I've probably put in close to 100 hours as a solo survivor and reached rank 1 without playing in a group. You could even make the argument the game is harder to play with friends due to wanting to save them from the hook when you know it's too risky, so you end up not escaping as often.

Picked this up in the most recent humble bundle (I think it will be going on for a week), I have to say I am really enjoying it at the lower levels. Leveled up the hillbilly to rank 5 last night. I have heard there is a toxic community at the higher end of the skill spectrum?

The 1 vs 4 mechanic feels good in this.

Yeah, the community at the high end is pretty terrible. I've played online games for 20+ years and once you get to the top ranks this community is easily one of the worst I've ever seen. A lot of people will purposely de-rank once they get to rank 1, that's how bad it can be. Turning off pre/post game chat is the best thing you can do, especially if you play killer.

I LOVE Texas Chainsaw but I'm kind of bummed at Leatherface being the new killer. I don't see the point with Billy in the game although I'm sure they'll play different. I realize it's not as easy as saying we're going to put so and so in the game and having it happen, but something like Pennywise, Pinhead, or Chucky would have been a lot cooler to me.

Oreoleo

Hey, that's pretty cool. Sounds like he plays differently enough from the Hillbilly, instead of just being a reskin or derivative.

I should really watch Texas Chainsaw Massacre sometime.

I realize it's not as easy as saying we're going to put so and so in the game and having it happen, but something like Pennywise, Pinhead, or Chucky would have been a lot cooler to me.
Yeah for me having Chucky in the game is the dream. They could have a lot of fun with the mechanics due to his size, but that's also why I don't think it'll ever happen- too much extra work to do it right compared to more traditional horror movie antagonists.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I just played 2 games, no idea what I'm doing. First game as survivor I fixed one generator and died, my team mates did nothing. Second game as killer I got 3 of them but 1 escaped. I get the basic idea but I guess there's so much I'm missing. I might watch a guide and give it another go, it's a pretty unique game.

voodooray

I just played 2 games, no idea what I'm doing. First game as survivor I fixed one generator and died, my team mates did nothing. Second game as killer I got 3 of them but 1 escaped. I get the basic idea but I guess there's so much I'm missing. I might watch a guide and give it another go, it's a pretty unique game.

This is perfectly normal, and brings back many memories =) I recall dying lots of times before even escaping the first time. I found watching streams on twitch helped me learn the most, and playing with friends.

Oreoleo

it gets better once you unlocked some skills.
On that note, I would recommend leveling either Meg or Claudette first. Sprint Burst and Self Healing are basically the two best survivor perks in the game. Jake's Iron Will is pretty good too (but works best in tandem with one of the other two IMO). Avoid Dwight.

Oreoleo

ha! I went dwight first! the skill that let's you see your teammates from a distance helps me a lot. especially when they're being chased, then I know I can continue to work on that generator.
I did too, actually. Way back before they lowered the bloodweb point requirements. Months later when I finally got around to leveling Meg and Claudette I realized how much time I had wasted on Dwight.

You're totally right that his perk that lets you see team mates outlines is useful, admittedly I kinda forgot that was a Dwight perk. I even use it on some of my characters that don't have a lot else to choose from, but it still doesn't hold a candle to SB/SH. The more independent of your team mates you can be in this game, the better off you'll be.

Akakage

Neo Member
There's a free trial happening on the XB1 and I can't find a single game :(

Is this completely dead on that platform?

I haven't tried today but I don't usually have to wait more than a few minutes to get into a game in the evening or the weekend. There is about 8000 people in the Dead by Daylight club but I would be very curious to see just how many people are playing.

I don't know if it's still needed but at one point going into survive with friends before trying to join a game sped things up. You can also just play as a killer since they're the ones who create the lobbies.

lol.

fucking pathetic

I wanted F13 to be the DBD killer, and I offered well-constructed and well-spoken criticism that was mostly met with vitriol and laughs. Not saying that everything that I said was how it should have been done but I do think there would be more of a playerbase if some massive changes were made.

Because some ppl online didn't listen to you the game has less players on one platform?

Both are niche games, Dead By Daylight having been out for quite a while now, been on sale many times, and even given as part of a major humble bundle deal, of course it's gonna have more players currently. F13th is not a blockbuster game, it's also higher priced, it's got alot of room to grow if properly supported and with some sales. Sadly the physical release is coming so it's gonna be at that high price point for longer which I think is the most damaging aspect of it all. Game should have been $30 at most

I leveled up Feng Mei at first...all the way to 50 and prestiged, then I lost my save. When they credited me back 6M BP, I went with Claudette instead and that was a great choice vs. redoing Feng. I think Lithe is a good perk but yeah, you can't beat the self heal or speed burst. SH is basically essential.

Game definitely gets a lot better/easier as you get more perks and items. And also as you start to understand how limited the killer's POV usually is and how easy it is to hide in plain site in most cases, especially in the 10-20 ranks. The first 10-15 hours were brutal though.

Agree with the suggestion to watch Twitch or YT vids of people playing. I had no idea how to effectively use the Flashlight until I watched a YT vid on it. I never would have thought to drop a pallet and then turn and blind the killer, for example. I had just been using it to try and make them drop people they were carrying...which I still can't do lol.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
it gets better once you unlocked some skills. the goals are pretty simple. repair 5 generators to escape (for survivor) or kill all 4 survivors (for killer). the fun comes from juggling your goals with survival. as a survivor just walk around cautiously at the beginning, either find your teammates or figure out where the killer is, so you have a better idea what generator to repair first.

I always seem to have the problem that I'll kill 3 and the last will always have time to escape.

BTW, if anyone is trying the trial on PC add this to your engine.ini (C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Local\DeadByDaylight\Saved\Config\WindowsNoEditor) to remove forced VSync and frame rate cap, the game feels so much better as a result.

[/script/engine.engine]
bSmoothFrameRate=false
MinSmoothedFrameRate=5
MaxSmoothedFrameRate=144
bUseVSync=false

Hexer06

Tried this game for the first time last night. Played with a friend and it was more fun than I thought. It gets even more fun when you play as the killer. I was doing really well with the Hillbilly. Can't wait to play more tonight. If this stays fun for me, I will definitely consider buying it. How cool is Michael Myers to play as? Do you get to hear the Halloween theme when he's close by? :D

Anyone have any idea why does this game appears as I hace purchased it on the store. It aopears as in October 14, 2016.

Been sesrching if it was free for that time but nothing.

Lucent

Tried this game for the first time last night. Played with a friend and it was more fun than I thought. It gets even more fun when you play as the killer. I was doing really well with the Hillbilly. Can't wait to play more tonight. If this stays fun for me, I will definitely consider buying it. How cool is Michael Myers to play as? Do you get to hear the Halloween theme when he's close by? :D

The game wasn't fun. Generators exploded in my face left and right. =(

Oreoleo

How cool is Michael Myers to play as? Do you get to hear the Halloween theme when he's close by? :D
He is arguably the scariest killer to play against. At the beginning of the match he basically has no terror radius (the heartbeat) so he can sneak up on you really easily, but he has to power himself up (due to his ability, The Evil Within) by staring at a survivor so you'll be doing a generator, minding your own business, and look behind you and he is just RIGHT. THERE.

TEW has 3 levels and each time it levels up the Halloween theme plays. At level 1 he's kinda slow and easy to outrun but at level 3 (which only lasts 60 seconds at a time) he's really fast and has 1-hit downs (like No One Escapes Death) so you have to be vigilant in watching out for him and not let him sneak up on you unaware. It's a great mechanic tbh, he is a lot of fun to play against.
Anyone have any idea why does this game appears as I hace purchased it on the store. It aopears as in October 14, 2016.

Been sesrching if it was free for that time but nothing.
On Steam? I don't think it has ever been free-to-own. The Mike Myers DLC was released 2 weeks after that so Oct 14th doesn't seem to coincide with any kind of promos or discounts that would have been going on around that time.

drotahorror

Because some ppl online didn't listen to you the game has less players on one platform?

Both are niche games, Dead By Daylight having been out for quite a while now, been on sale many times, and even given as part of a major humble bundle deal, of course it's gonna have more players currently. F13th is not a blockbuster game, it's also higher priced, it's got alot of room to grow if properly supported and with some sales. Sadly the physical release is coming so it's gonna be at that high price point for longer which I think is the most damaging aspect of it all. Game should have been $30 at most

You can look at steamcharts.com . DBD has had an almost steady 10k+ a month average ever since it came out. The game sold a million before christmas without any huge price reduction. It never went below $13.99 I believe last year.

And not because people didn't listen to me holy shit. Anyways, fuck F13 and fuck the devs, game's garbage. I will clown on that game until it's completely irrelevant if someone brings it up around me. Yes it pissed me off that it sucked.

Leatherface does not suck. He's sick.

YoshiMax

Playing the XB1 free trial just now and enjoying it a lot. Wondering if the playerbase will go off a cliff come Monday though so holding off on full purchase.

Hasney

Playing the XB1 free trial just now and enjoying it a lot. Wondering if the playerbase will go off a cliff come Monday though so holding off on full purchase.

Can't say anything to XB1, but it's never an issue finding a game on PC, so hopefully the playerbase is there too.

Hexer06

He is arguably the scariest killer to play against. At the beginning of the match he basically has no terror radius (the heartbeat) so he can sneak up on you really easily, but he has to power himself up (due to his ability, The Evil Within) by staring at a survivor so you'll be doing a generator, minding your own business, and look behind you and he is just RIGHT. THERE.

TEW has 3 levels and each time it levels up the Halloween theme plays. At level 1 he's kinda slow and easy to outrun but at level 3 (which only lasts 60 seconds at a time) he's really fast and has 1-hit downs (like No One Escapes Death) so you have to be vigilant in watching out for him and not let him sneak up on you unaware. It's a great mechanic tbh, he is a lot of fun to play against.

That sounds awesome! If I get this game, I'll most likely buy him as well. I really like playing as the killers.

Top Bottom