• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 4 Golden |OT| Love is the only gold.

Make one out of this.

n4cY9.jpg

Oh, get bent. Get bent long time.

Yeah, I don't remember cabbage at all and I've played through the game one and a half times (got about halfway through the second time then Persona 4 Golden was announced so I stopped). Steak is definitely mentioned by Chie a few times though.

LuchaShaq

Banned
Just wondering something about Risky. Did P3P did the same with the Exp in Maniac?

Whenever I play the game I'll play it on risky, but something tells me that either I do a low-level run or I'm going to grind like a Maniac :)lol)

What I didn't like in maniac was that you couldn't bring a newgame+ in so charisma etc was all level 0.

kewlmyc

Same here, I've beaten the game a couple of times and I've never seen the context of the cabbage.

If you randomly talk to Adachi in Junes in the original P4, he mentions he's buying cabbage since cabbage can go with anything and how easy it is to cook. He also mentions how that's pretty much all he eats. That's it. Now Adachi is associated with cabbage on the internet.

End Game Spoilers:
Didn't the Adachi Boss look like Cabbage?

Beaches and Shores!
I'm pretty sure it was supposed to be a fog machine.

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
If you randomly talk to Adachi in Junes in the original P4, he mentions he's buying cabbage since cabbage can go with anything and how easy it is to cook. He also mentions how that's pretty much all he eats. That's it. Now Adachi is associated with cabbage on the internet.

I'm pretty sure it was supposed to be a fog machine.

WHO'S GOT THE GLOW STICKS *drops some E*

Wow, I'm shocked the adachi/lettuce thing doesn't really have much to it. All that insane fanart about it, and its just a throwaway line....

Thanks for clearing me up though. Was really bugging me.

Cheska

YAY! Went to go pay off my Solid Gold Edition and turns out my Gamestop is having a midnight release after all. Week=made :D

1341502638029.gif

mrklaw

MrArseFace
playasia.com (free shipping option available)

US version?

Any DLC/online pass issues likely for this?

if its my first toe dipping into the Persona world, is there an earlier version on Europe PSN that I can play while waiting for the EU release next year?

Dantis

It was a joke. The anime doesn't pair anyone with Yu as to not piss off the childish fanbase

Also, Persona 4 fans have singlehandedly made me hate the word "swag".

Oh man, so much.

US version?

if its my first toe dipping into the Persona world, is there an earlier version on Europe PSN that I can play while waiting for the EU release next year?

There's some VERY minor online functionality, but it's region free. No DLC or actual online play.

US version?

No DLC/Online Pass for this - you could get one of the Persona 3 versions available on PSN (P3P or P3FES) to play in the meantime. It's a pretty good game, I personally recommend P3FES. On the US PSN they are on sale 50% off during November 2012, IIRC.

Roubjon

US version?

Persona 1 through 3 are all on sale on PSN. I bought Persona 2 and and it's really holding my attention. The battle system is a breath of fresh air from Persona 3 and 4 and I really like the flow of the game in general. The story actually progresses at a reasonable rate too, it's great! I also find it hilarious that there is a female main character who loves kung fu in this. I had no idea chie was a recycled character, albeit more manly than Lisa.

Persona 1 through 3 are all on sale on PSN. I bought Persona 2 and and it's really holding my attention. The battle system is a breath of fresh air from Persona 3 and 4 and I really like the flow of the game in general. The story actually progresses at a reasonable rate too, it's great! I also find it hilarious that there is a female main character who loves kung fu in this. I had no idea chie was a recycled character, albeit more manly than Lisa.

Both Chie and Rise are born from aspects of Lisa, and Yosuke and P3's Junpei are modeled on the bro character Eikichi is, albeit way less flamboyant.

Coconut

Banned
So I have been playing P3P it's my first Persona game. It's neat, except I'm finding the social link stuff a little stiff and robotic. Are the Social link things less binary in P4? On top of that are the social interaction less constructed and guiding. I feel like the game is beating me over the head by constantly having characters ask me what deal with yukari and I. And I myself never mix business with pleasure.

So I have been playing P3P it's my first Persona game. It's neat, except I'm finding the social link stuff a little stiff and robotic. Are the Social link things less binary in P4? On top of that are the social interaction less constructed and guiding. I feel like the game is beating me over the head by constantly having characters ask me what deal with yukari and I. And I myself never mix business with pleasure.

This is tough since many aspects are percieved relatively to the player but I would say that Persona 4 is similarly guiding. That said, I think that P3P lacks the cutscene-like quality of P3 or P4's links; less isn't more in the case of P3P.

Coconut

Banned
That's a shame that have created some neat characters and they could flesh out that life sim stuff a little more and it wouldn't hurt the game in my eyes.

That's a shame that have created some neat characters and they could flesh out that life sim stuff a little more and it wouldn't hurt the game in my eyes.

I think you'll enjoy P4 more than P3P if you are interested in life-sim aspects; P4's offset has you living with your uncle and cousin ( both with touchy-feely links) and there are part time jobs and w/e to fit into your schedule of friends/dungeons. P4 felt like there was a lot more to do each day than P3 where many days might have no link activity at all.

fernoca

Make one out of this.

n4cY9.jpg

Yay! Moar Kanji! XD

By the way, any place to get the anime? I'm not a big fan of anime in general, aside a few, but I like Persona 4's characters; been playing Arena over the last days. So, any Blurays of the series?

cjkeats

Yay! Moar Kanji! XD

By the way, any place to get the anime? I'm not a big fan of anime in general, aside a few, but I like Persona 4's characters; been playing Arena over the last days. So, any Blurays of the series?

The blurays are dubs only and only the first half is out, you can get them at most anime retailers liek rightstuf, or even amazon. It's also on the Anime Network to stream legally for guests.

_woLf

The game is realllyyy good. All the vibrant colors really look awesome on the Vita's screen....and I'm not really being bothered by Chie nor Teddie's voice acting.

Also, the new stuff is fit in really well. Easily the defining PS Vita title.

More involved and branching story/character interactions based on your response to the characters in the life sim aspects of the game.

The anime is on Hulu and amazon prime.

This is one of the major flaws of the social link system, and I think its even more apparent in P4 when characters who developed far in the social link completely backpedal randomly in the story.

The game is realllyyy good. All the vibrant colors really look awesome on the Vita's screen....and I'm not really being bothered by Chie nor Teddie's voice acting.

Also, the new stuff is fit in really well. Easily the defining PS Vita title.

Yeah I like new Chie, sounds a lot like Erika from Catherine. Love it.

This is one of the major flaws of the social link system, and I think its even more apparent in P4 when characters who developed far in the social link completely backpedal randomly in the story.

Yeah, this stuff needs to be more dynamic - let's cross our fingers for Persona 5! Also, the cell phone needs some work.

AkuMifune

Banned
Think I've got a cold. This would be the perfect weekend to lay in bed and play this game. Gods why can't I get sick next week?

There must be a shop in Austin that would sell it early. I just don't have the energy to try. :(

I've always been very interested in this game as a long-time fan of JRPGs but I never got the chance to pick it up. I'm pretty much sold on the game at this point but I'm a little worried about all of the dating/weird fan-servicey stuff that's in the game or has been added. I know it probably gets annoying hearing this brought up all the time but I was just wondering how important that stuff is as far as overall enjoyment of the game. Even in games like Mass Effect I avoid the "romancing" stuff because it seems silly and contrived so if that is a huge part of this game it could be a deal-breaker for me.

Sorry to bring this up again, I'm just trying to figure out if this is really significant or if it's being blown out of proportion because of the "interesting" additions.

Venfayth

I've always been very interested in this game as a long-time fan of JRPGs but I never got the chance to pick it up. I'm pretty much sold on the game at this point but I'm a little worried about all of the dating/weird fan-servicey stuff that's in the game or has been added. I know it probably gets annoying hearing this brought up all the time but I was just wondering how important that stuff is as far as overall enjoyment of the game. Even in games like Mass Effect I avoid the "romancing" stuff because it seems silly and contrived so if that is a huge part of this game it could be a deal-breaker for me.

Sorry to bring this up again, I'm just trying to figure out if this is really significant or if it's being blown out of proportion because of the "interesting" additions.

You can turn down all dem girls. The core gameplay is still dungeons and personas and fusing and time management (getting s. links)

Nice, that sounds good.

In the fighting game sequel even, the MC doesn't seem to have gone with any of them or at least its not completely obvious, so it is a totally viable way to go, as you get the same benefits from maxing a friend link for a girl that you do for maxing the lover link, at least in the original.

In the fighting game sequel even, the MC doesn't seem to have gone with any of them or at least its not completely obvious, so it is a totally viable way to go, as you get the same benefits from maxing a friend link for a girl that you do for maxing the lover link, at least in the original.
Even better! So it's not like I'll be missing out on a bunch of interesting side-story stuff, then.

Dantis

The dating thing gets blown way out of proportion. Ignore it. Terrible fanbase getting attached to the wrong aspects of the game etc. etc.

EDIT: In fact, I'll even go as far as to describe the S Link system:

In the day-to-day parts of the game, you can spend the day with various characters. Some are girls, some are not. S Links have a rank from 1 - 10, which is pretty much the progress of that character's story. If the character is female and the same age as the protagonist (Most are), then when you reach S Link rank 9, you can choose to date them. This leads to a different rank 10 event. After rank 10, the S Link is over with. As an aside, at rank 9, you can also choose to remain just friends. No harm is done.

Top Bottom