• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Sega master system appreciation thread of SegaScope 3D!

This shit ever happen to you in Shinobi World?

Ahh, when instruction manuals mattered.

Speaking of the SegaScope 3-D... My friend and I made a video about it and the games it plays:

http://youtu.be/-iv-Lbhey_s

Great video.

californiagames.jpg

YES. My God, roller skating used to infuriate me.

Lots of giggles watching the screen pass the woman in mid-dive during "Flying Disc". BMX was my fave.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I actually really like Lost Stars, it's probably my favorite of all the Alex Kidd games. Mainly because it's not nearly as punishing as Miracle World and all the surreal shit going on in the game (seeing the bare-assed punk guys shitting green balls at you was amazing back in the day).

Master System didn't have too many games that really wet my whistle but it had the single most mindblowing game experience I ever had, and it gets tons of points for that.

Exis

Umm Lost Stars was OKAY. It had farting naked guys and dogs that yelled BOW WOW.

I remember there was one part of lost stars that took me months to get past, then one morning before school i finally got past it and left my master system on pause for the timeI was at school and feared i would get back and find it melted.

Eventually I could beat lost stars in one life.

Krelian

I only started playing video games with my Mega Drive in '93. A friend of mine had a NES so I was familiar with it but hardly anyone had a Master System. Years later I did buy a SMS but mainly to have Phantasy Star in cart form. Consequently my complete SMS "collection" looks like this:
I think I'll get some other games eventually. It's not a priority though. The built-in title is Sonic 1, so in total I have three games :)

For SMS fans, there's a very nice book in the iTunes bookstore called Sega Master System Encyclopedia: Volume 1. Part 1 is out so far, but eventually every game will be cataloged. It has nice screenshots and videos.

catmincer

For SMS fans, there's a very nice book in the iTunes bookstore called Sega Master System Encyclopedia: Volume 1. Part 1 is out so far, but eventually every game will be cataloged. It has nice screenshots and videos.

That sounds awesome. Is it an IOS thing? Or can i view it on my pc?

Neff

I'm just playing Dragon's Trap for the first time and it's fucking incredible. Game was rocking modern game ideas/philosophies back in the late 80's! At one point there's two paths you can go down, one is intended, the other is definitely not. Way harder enemies populate the one road, but they don't stop you from exploring this route or trying your best to fight your way through. Games are still doing this shit (see something like Demon's Souls, or way before that, King's Field, or even the original Zelda). It's funny when you think about it, nothing much has changed in 20 some years. We're still fundamentally doing the same shit we've always done/made, only now the approach is different. That shit's fascinating to me.

If anything, games like Demon's/Dark brought that philosophy back. It's decidedly brutal, retro thinking to hinge your failure or success entirely on taking the game's challenge for granted. And over the last decade, there have been a lot of games you can take for granted. A bit of fear is a good thing in gaming, I think.

Good for you, btw. Glad you're enjoying it so much.

IrishNinja

Hmmm... I gave my Master System to my cousin some years ago, I can check if he still has it. If he doesn't, I know it's somewhat easy to get some of those games online here. If you're interessed, PM me and I can help you.

really? that's awesome of you man, might just take you up on that in a bit!

I still haven't completed Miracle Warriors...

man one summer i got very close to the end of my best friend's copy, before his battery died...ah well

This shit ever happen to you in Shinobi World?

oh god, yeah that does not look fun. gonna have to look that one up i think

man i want a print version of this so bad!

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
oh god, yeah that does not look fun. gonna have to look that one up i think

That's the section I was talking about getting stuck at. I have no idea how I even got past that shit back in the day. And I had no idea you could do that trick to turn Alex into a fireball, as the game never, not once, mentioned you could do that.

SMD

My first ever console was a Master System, before it I had an Atari and a PC. I had all the Sonic games and loved them, even though they had ridiculously unbalanced difficulty. Sonic 1 was fine up until Scrap Brain Zone then you had to do I think 3 levels without any rings. Sonic 2 was probably the toughest Sonic game I've ever played, getting all the emeralds was more of a challenge than the special stages.

Sonic Chaos was the easiest game I'd played, the first day I got it I managed to get to the final boss and within a couple of weeks I'd already mastered it. It was a shame cos it was the only one I'd bought full price on release.

I had to sell my first Master System to go towards my Saturn, wish I'd kept it though. I rebought two Master Systems, one with Sonic built in the other with Alex Kidd, then I let my mate borrowed it and his step mum left it outside in the rain *facepalm*.

Definitely need to get another one. Wonderboy III was legendary, still have it.

What built in game(s) did you have with your Master System? There were several different built in games version of the console. Most Common was Alex Kidd.

Mine was Hang ON. Quite good game too.

IrishNinja

I had OG model 1 with only snail. brought hang-on/safari hunt cart, though!
did later models have changes in sound/video card like some genesis' did?

Kurod

Banned
This thread almost feels like it was meant for me.

The Sega Master System was my first very own console. I would stay up way past my bedtime playing Phantasy Star, Ghost House, Ghostbusters, Rocky, Zillion 2, Shinobi, Enduro Racer, Hang On/Safari Hunt, and Wonderboy in Monsterland. I don't think I'll ever again feel the sheer amount of joy for playing a video game as I did on my old Master System.

I had OG model 1 with only snail. brought hang-on/safari hunt cart, though!
did later models have changes in sound/video card like some genesis' did?

The Master system II lost the DIN port so you could not have RGB Scart video. Sound was always bad. But the Japanese Master System (not SG1000) did have the FM hardware built in that was lost ion the western versions.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Loved the Master System. I got one in 1987 when all my friends were getting the NES. Had some wonderful times with that machine. Space Harrier, Zillion, Aztec Adventure, The Ninja, Astro Warrior...so many good games!

And I love the SMS shout outs in Regular Show :)

My first console was an Atari 2600 and had fun with it even if it was already old in late '80. Almost all my friends had a Sega Master System, so my parents bought one to me some years later, and that was our most played console between late '80s until 1994

Some notable games not mentioned before:

Spellcaster, a mix of graphic adventure, platforming and action/rpg

2320.jpg
73077-spellcaster-sega-master-system-screenshot-izumo-villages.gif

73093-spellcaster-sega-master-system-screenshot-shimoni-ports.gif
images

Miracle Warriors, turn based rpg

images
94200-miracle-warriors-seal-of-the-dark-lord-sega-master-system-screenshot.png
Miracle_Warriors_SMS_ScreenShot3.gif

map:
$(KGrHqVHJFQE88fBbRj,BPRzLiD1!g~~60_35.JPG

Mortal Kombat and Mortal Kombat II

they were of course inferior to the 16 bit versions, but they were pretty good for the system, especially the first one. All the moves, digitized sprites, fatalities, they were all there. Some characters went missing due to memory limitations.
Mortal Kombat 3 also came out for the system, but it was a Brazilian only release and was awful

MK1
581818-mkms_ss06.jpg
mk1.gif

mortalkombatue017pm5.gif
Mortal%20Kombat_Jul20%2019_09_26.png

MK2
smsmk2-1.gif
SEGAMASTERSYSTEM--Mortal%20Kombat%202_Dec15%2013_36_21.png

SEGAMASTERSYSTEM--Mortal%20Kombat%202_Dec15%2013_36_43.png
89793-mortal-kombat-ii-sega-master-system-screenshot-kitana-s-fan.png

Masters of Combat, this one was a beat 'em up exclusive for the system, it came out in 1994 and is one of the rarest and valuable releases. It was really a good game

Masters+of+Combat002.png
579128-masters-of-combat-sega-master-system-screenshot-hit-by-gonzaless.png

mqdefault.jpg
masters-of-combat-1227673882.png

IrishNinja

man, i bet that Miracle Warriors map woulda helped at the time

just got SpellCaster a while back, it's a prequel to Mystic Defender, yeah? not a bad game...never even seen that last one though, interesting

Awesome thread. I have some questions for the Master System masters in here.

I'm tinkering with a pair of Master System 3-D glasses, but i'm not sure if my adapter is broken, or the glasses. anyone know of a cheap pair of 3-D glasses that would work on the Master System I could use as a control?

I'm also curious if there's any games besides the built-in snail maze and F-16 Fighting Falcon that cannot be played on the Power Base Converter.

man, i bet that Miracle Warriors map woulda helped at the time

just got SpellCaster a while back, it's a prequel to Mystic Defender, yeah? not a bad game...never even seen that last one though, interesting

Yes it was a prequel to Mystic Defender for the Genesis/Mega Drive

But Mystic Defender was action/platform only

I played a lot of this game, I loved it. Tricky, but not as difficult as Alex Kidd. Disney games in the 8-bit and 16-bit 2D era weren't that bad.

MS-DonaldDuckTheLuckyDimeCaper-0Coverboxart_160w.jpg
Lucky_Dime_Caper_Starring_Donald_Duck.png

Jill Sandwich

the turds of Optimus Prime
Yes it was a prequel to Mystic Defender for the Genesis/Mega Drive

But Mystic Defender was action/platform only

I thought that looked familiar! Mystic Defender was one of those oddly compelling games that weren't very good but there was something that kept you playing.

My first console was an Atari 2600 and had fun with it even if it was already old in late '80. Almost all my friends had a Sega Master System, so my parents bought one to me some years later, and that was our most played console between late '80s until 1994

Some notable games not mentioned before:

Spellcaster, a mix of graphic adventure, platforming and action/rpg

2320.jpg
73077-spellcaster-sega-master-system-screenshot-izumo-villages.gif

73093-spellcaster-sega-master-system-screenshot-shimoni-ports.gif
images

I always used to get this game mixed up with the incredibly difficult Kenseiden.

Kenseiden_SMS_ScreenShot1.gif

kenseiden-1.png

image002.gif

Does anyone remember Cloud Master? LOVE THAT GAME!

1.jpg

cloudmasterjuesms00.png

IrishNinja

that's funny; i only got Kenseiden earlier this year, and pics in magazines used to have me kinda confuse it with Lord of the Sword

c0de

OMG, these memories! I played a lot of games that were posted here...
Shinobi (worst ending ever!)
Alex Kidd in Miracle World (was built in in ROM) (was hard to beat - platforming at its best)
California Games
Summer Games
review-summergamessms-big-1.jpg

World Games
world_games_03_sega_master_system.jpg

Thunder Blade (which I *never* beat...)
Double Dragon
Mortal Kombat 1 (figured out myself how to activate the gore-mode ;))
Gauntlet (the game that never ends...)
105586-gauntlet-sega-master-system-screenshot-the-future-starts-looking.png

Monster Boy - Dragon's Trap (only finished it with emulator, the japanese area was too much for me back then ;))
Hang-On (came on one of the small cards)
and some more which I can't remember now ;)

that's funny; i only got Kenseiden earlier this year, and pics in magazines used to have me kinda confuse it with Lord of the Sword

What do you think of it? I don't think I ever got past the 3rd level.

Yes, I remember looking at the Master System game catalogues, and I wanted to play it, but I never found it in stores.

It's a pretty cool shmup, worth... checking out... >_>

Here are two games I'd put in the wtf category

transbot-cover.jpg

TransBot3.jpg

global-defense-cover.jpg

global_defense.gif

Jill Sandwich

I had Transbot, it was absolutely rubbish. My friend could play it for hours - he seems to be attracted to crap games. ARGH now I have the looping theme in my head!

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Yeah, I'm another TransBotter. The game really wasn't very good at all, but somehow I still managed to have fun with it. It was pretty damn short though, you could probably complete it in less than 30 minutes (and then the game would just start all over again at the beginning).

I had Transbot, it was absolutely rubbish. My friend could play it for hours - he seems to be attracted to crap games. ARGH now I have the looping theme in my head!

I had to refresh my memory

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8kzmHCYnSQg

The nightmares return D:

I just didn't GET IT... the game seemed to loop forever and never end.

Yeah, I'm another TransBotter. The game really wasn't very good at all, but somehow I still managed to have fun with it. It was pretty damn short though, you could probably complete it in less than 30 minutes (and then the game would just start all over again at the beginning).

Oh shit.

I just didn't GET IT... the game seemed to loop forever and never end.

Hahaha oh man, yes. I used to get so frustrated with the game because of this. Sometimes the hatch to the boss level would appear after a little bit, while other times it'd seemingly take forever to show up. I think it depends on how many enemies you shoot down?

Jill Sandwich

No no no, you had to get the power up that transformed you into a robot, then at the end of the cratered wasteland stage, a hole would show up that you sunk into for the next levels. If you weren't a robot at that part, the game would loop again.

They never tell you this important info.

No no no, you had to get the power up that transformed you into a robot, then at the end of the cratered wasteland stage, a hole would show up that you sunk into for the next levels. If you weren't a robot at that part, the game would loop again.

They never tell you this important info.

Ah! Thanks, haha. I'll probably give the game another shot one day. Maybe.
Probably not.

Ill Saint

My Mum was able to beat Cloud Master without losing a life. I could never beat that game as a kid.

Loads of great memories from the SMS. Golden Axe, Wonderboy in Monster Land,Wonderboy III: Dragon's Trap, Phantasy Star, Ultima IV, Spellcaster were real highlights.

SMS is my jam. My first console was an SMS 2 with Alex Kidd and Sonic.

Sold most of my collection in the last couple of years, but still got a good number of games.

SMD

Aladdin was rock hard on the Master System, took me ages to beat. Same as Castle of Illusion.

Hardest game, though, was Ninja Gaiden. Was amazing at the time though, the movement and the music was top notch.

Hightower

Banned
I had both the NES and the Master System and it floored me at the time just how much BETTER everything looked on the MS.

I had Rampage for the Master System and it was so close to the arcade version. I played that endlessly. Hell, I even beat it!

Top Bottom