• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sell me on Twin Peaks?

big ander

Have not. I may give it a shot eventually.

Ah shit I forgot he did Elephant Man, which I loved. Though I guess that's not really his material.
It's totally his material. Not only did he co-write it but it's...I mean it's directed by him. Direction is not anonymous. Composition and rhythm and motion matter—are the thing that matters most— in a visual medium.

Dalek

It's totally his material. Not only did he co-write it but it's...I mean it's directed by him. Direction is not anonymous. Composition and rhythm and motion matter—are the thing that matters most— in a visual medium.

That said-The Straight Story SEEMS like it shouldn't be a Lynch movie because it's sweet and rated G, but it's all about small town folk.

Hell of a movie too. I'm getting goosebumps just thinking about it.

The number one response I ever see to people making rightful criticism about shows/movies is condescending and meaningless statements like "you just don't get it" or some other total nonsense. There are plenty of people who get exactly what Lynch is doing and are still right to think it sucks.
Perfectly reasonable to understand what Lynch is doing (with Twin Peaks and in general) and still not like it.

But "So bad it's good" is a complete misread of what Twin Peaks is or intends to be, full stop.

Kaizer

Banned
eK6vbftyc6gOmMuidEPoFzXR9o-Mph7Avblnx3JnNLCkv0k0KWLzqlQdGyPfqIlE1xuM6Pn3FIcXP0-MkkmynYsQ-I9d0Q3_ztM8BnjXz7otpq7UwQ=w349-h261-nc

I almost quit watching the show during this scene, it was REALLY pushing the boundaries of drawn-out stupidity for me.

McLovin

That show is not what it seems, it goes off into weird territory later. S1 is great, S2 is garbage for the most part. I would look up an episode guide to tell you what to skip.

I just started rewatching and it is definitely straddling the line between so bad its good and just good. Like the first dream when we see the midget dancing and his voice is randomly fast forwarded was a good laugh.

gabbo

we see the midget dancing and his voice is randomly fast forwarded was a good laugh.
If only it was that simple. He recorded his lines backwards and then had them played forward. Michael J Anderson was the man... from another place. Best dancing arm

I loved season one. Couldn't finish season 2. Started Season 3 yesterday and disliked the first episode.

Overall I still like Twin Peaks a lot, but I feel it's such a mixed bag.

Too bad. The horror/supernatural aspect is so well done

Hell the new season has some incredible silent hill-esque stuff in there. Which is fitting considering how much Lynch has influenced it

Best thing I've seen all year. In tv or film. The original show was really dope too. It does carry a cheesy soap opera tone to it but it's really fun. And one of Lynchs strongest ideas in his work is depicting a seedy and dark underbelly of small town America. When the show dives into the creepy aspect it's always 🔥🔥

I don't care to convince anyone to watch it or not but if you do watch it, watch the whole thing. I see no point in skipping anything. Art is about the whole experience, not finding the bits and pieces you think you might like. There's plenty of art out there to spend your time on. You will never be at a loss for that. So if you don't think yoill like something don't bother with it. But if you want to experience it, go all in.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
It took a while for it to click with me. I tried several times to get into it previously.
It is part deconstruction of the worst Soap Opera tropes and part unnerving horror.

Even the worst episodes of S2 have something entertaining in them.

That show is not what it seems, it goes off into weird territory later. S1 is great, S2 is garbage for the most part. I would look up an episode guide to tell you what to skip.
The episode guide I saw like 2 months ago called the beginning and ending of s2 great and a huge middle stretch terrible and I think I just got to the bad part.
I haven't been able to relocate that same guide tho

so i have 3 episodes left before FWWM and the new season.

op, i was kinda like you at first. i had heard about this great show for so long, and honestly thought people must have been joking. the acting, the music, the camp. i thought it was terrible.

but i'm a sucker for a whodunit and wanted to take the time to understand something that so many people who i trusted genuinely loved, so i kept at.

it's tough to really describe when i started to like it, but this show, town and cast of characters slowly drew me in. i can't remember anything quite like it. it's at times funny, unnerving, scary, campy, melodramatic- or just plain bad. but it's always interesting.

also i completely understand issues with the music. i'm used to it now, but if you've watched the golden age of tv -> peak tv, the soundtrack to Twin Peaks is aggressively in your face, kinda dated, and at times repetitive.

that isn't to say it doesn't set the mood right or isn't effective.

cr0w

Old Member

What I meant was it was a true story and not original material of his. He didn't take Merrick's life and add little people, demons and other surreal stuff into it. It was pretty straightforward compared to much of his other material.

Violet_0

Banned
somewhat related question, can you jump from S1 straight to S3? I have no real interest in watching S2, and it super long as well. Does the show mostly continue with the otherworldly elements, or do they go back to working on a case?

somewhat related question, can you jump from S1 straight to S3? I have no real interest in watching S2, and it super long as well. Does the show mostly continue with the otherworldly elements, or do they go back to working on a case?
You're missing a ton of stuff by not at least watching the last few episodes of season 2.

Dimmle

You need to watch about half of S2 as well as its finale. I can't imagine getting to the end of S1 and not wanting to start S2. People seem to forget how incredible the first half of S2 is.

shamanick

Twin Peaks is art, and art can be difficult

If you don't want to put the time in you shouldn't expect the reward

Most people don't like Lynch and that's just fine

also i completely understand issues with the music. i'm used to it now, but if you've watched the golden age of tv -> peak tv, the soundtrack to Twin Peaks is aggressively in your face, kinda dated, and at times repetitive.

that isn't to say it doesn't set the mood right or isn't effective.

I was legit missing Laura's theme watching the new season
until Episode 4 and then I aggressively cheered
, but you kinda have to be into moody synth background music or be raised around stuff like that (I grew up with the Bruce Faulconer DBZ track on TV so that probably settles it).

To OP, Twin Peaks isn't a show I'd suggest to most people these days unless they have a very specific taste / willing to sit through experimentation. Put it this way: If you walk through MOMA and find it more offputtingly weird instead of fascinating, Twin Peaks probably ain't for you.

The first 9 episodes of season 2 are important (and good). The season 2 finale is also great and very important, and the film Fire Walk With Me too should be watched before S3. The back half of season 2 aside from the last couple of episodes is much weaker but it has some important elements; if you have to skip anything skip those but I'd at least read/watch a synopsis of them. If you enjoyed season 1 enough to want to watch season 3, I don't understand why you'd want to skip the good stuff in season 2.

zethren

Banned
Definitely do not watch Season 3 without AT LEAST (bare minimum) watching the last few episodes of Season 2.

Still I would recommend watching all of season 2. But if you get passed the first half and find that you can't push through the lesser episodes of that season, definitely at least skip to the last 2 or so.

Fire Walk With Me is a great addition to getting ready for S3 as well, as it provides A LOT of great backstory.

Jackpot

Banned
Respectfully, why the fuck would anybody want to try to convince you to like it? Not only have you already admitted to not giving an entire episode a chance and reductively lumped it in with the asinine so-bad-it's-good viewing trend (melodrama/soap opera has an extensive tradition outside of fucking The Room, and it usually requires a viewer not be narrow-minded or closed-off like someone scoffing at a person crying about a raped and murdered teenager might be), but it's one of the most written-about tv shows ever. You can go to www.google.com and convince your own self, and seeing as you already skimmed one article and made a decision I don't see what the point of this is. Don't watch it.

He said he didn't like a TV show. He didn't kill your first-born.

gabbo

Watch the first maybe 3 episodes and then from episode17 to 22. It might seem like a lot, but it's the best parts of the season and a lot of it really does have impact on season3

big ander

no

I mean technically yes. You can just watch 13 random minutes from every episode if you really want to, too. Or not watch it at all, nobody's forcing you.

But if you wanted to watch the show you'd...watch the show. Beyond the length (it's not super long, it's 1. the normal length of a tv season 2. Shorter than s3 is going to be) andd the erroneous reputation of s2 (it's not "mostly bad", it's 10 amazing episodes including some of the high points of the series followed by 10 unfocused episodes with some zany side plots that nonetheless have some incredible scenes and are superior to 95% of the dreck on tv then and now followed by 2 essential episodes) it's part of the show.

Everybody stop trying to hack art.

Wensih

It's suppose to be melodramatic. It's alluding to the soap operas that were a mainstay of television. There's even a fictional soap opera within the world that mimics the events happening in the town.

Snagret

I think his is the key to enjoying Lynch's stuff. He isn't being arbitrarily weird, he's drilling in and exaggerating the way people actually behave. The very bits that films almost universally streamline away, or gloss over.

Like, in a normal show, if a character enters a small town diner, everything's centered on them and the story, like these people never existed before this moment unless they have something to directly offer the viewer in service of the plot.

In Twin Peaks, everybody knows each other and have their own inner lives and quirks. It seems bizarre compared to what you expect from the medium, but it's really just a heightened version of what it feels like to actually wander into a space like that: the inside jokes you hear, the interest in local topics and hobbies you have no context for, etc.

And when the emotional or horrifying moments hit in the middle of all that, they land hard. And Lynch leans in even closer.
This is a great description of Lynch's style. There's very little "accidental" about what he wants his audience to feel. He taps into frustration, impatience, discomfort, and anxiety in the audience in really unique ways using tools that a lot of directors do not.

Also, the Twin Peaks pilot maybe the best television pilots I've eber seen in my life. It's introducing tons of characters and plot threads while also serving as one of the strongest examples of tone and setting in the series. It gets even more impressive when you rewatch it because of how relevant so much of it is to the rest of the series. Almost every detail gets picked up and carried forward in some way through the rest of the season.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Not everything is meant for everybody. I didn't watch Twin Peaks when it originally aired in the 80's, mainly because it wasn't my type of show back then. Igot into it about 12-13 years ago with my now wife, who had been a fan since the 80's. Her mom didn't let her watch it, so she'd sneak and check it out.

I loved the original run. It had some fun characters, crazy imagery and storylines, and an intriguing murder mystery wrapped up in everything from aliens to possession, drugs and prostitution.

I'm 3 episodes into this new season...and I hate it. I just don't think it's very good, and doesn't feel like it captures the quirky charm of the original run. My love of Twin Peaks has me powering through it, and I'm hoping the remaining episodes are better, but I am not enjoying it.

andymcc

Banned
Not everything is meant for everybody. I didn't watch Twin Peaks when it originally aired in the 80's, mainly because it wasn't my type of show back then, but I got into it about 12-13 years ago with my now wife, who had been a fan since the 80's, but her mom didn't let her watch it.

I loved the original run. It had some fun characters, crazy imagery and storylines, and an intriguing murder mystery wrapped up in everything from aliens to possession, drugs and prostitution.

I'm 3 episodes into this new season...and I hate it. I just don't think it's very good, and doesn't feel like it captures the quirky charm of the original run. My love of Twin Peaks has me powering through it, and I'm hoping the remaining episodes are better, but I am not enjoying it.

Episode 4 is about as quirky as TP gets, soldier through.

Wally will save you.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Episode 4 is about as quirky as TP gets, soldier through.

Wally will save you.

I certainly hope so. I don't think I've ever yelled "just get on with it!" when watching Twin Peaks. I'm usually all over the slow, deliberate pace and setup, but I'm not feeling it so far.

eot

Banned
Not everything is meant for everybody. I didn't watch Twin Peaks when it originally aired in the 80's, mainly because it wasn't my type of show back then. Igot into it about 12-13 years ago with my now wife, who had been a fan since the 80's. Her mom didn't let her watch it, so she'd sneak and check it out.

It aired in the 90's

pringles

I'd say give it at least 2-3 episodes. I remember really starting to get sold when Cooper throws rocks at bottles in order to advance the investigation. The show has elements that have aged badly, and on my current rewatch the second half of S2 has been just painful to get through, but it's still fantastic and anyone who gives up after 30 minutes is missing out.

Dan-o

I would go so far as to say that Twin Peaks is the worst place for someone to start with discovering David Lynch, despite it containing some of his best work. I think it's wonderful and fulfilling, but it seems that new audience expectations are in the wrong ballpark. You have to have a taste for Lynch in general before you dive into such a large undertaking. For what it's worth: I love S1 and some of S2. I think FWWM is under-appreciated, and this new season is fantastic.

That said, only watching 30 minutes of the pilot, or having it on in the background while playing video games? Why bother?

Nope, I'd say that the OP should downright skip TP until/unless they explore some of DL's other work first. My personal favorites are Mulholland Drive and Lost Highway, but if I was introducing someone to Lynch for the first time?
Eraserhead - the beginning of it all.
Blue Velvet - a taste of what you're in for
Lost Highway - damn near perfection

If they enjoy those and want more:
Mulholland Drive - more perfection
Dune

After that, I'd point someone to Twin Peaks and the rest of his work. I'd leave Inland Empire for dead last, though. I personally need to give it another chance, but right now, it sits at the very bottom of the list.

And for what it's worth, if Lynch ain't your thing, no worries. I don't fault anyone for not liking what he has to offer; at least after giving it one real fair chance without distractions.

For TP, specifically, you have to watch the pilot and first two episodes. If you're still not into it by then, it's not for you.

Nielm

For me, this new season seems more interesting, maybe I'm in the minority?

One of the appealing things about Twin Peaks is that there's really no other show on TV like it. However, this makes it divisive.

Top Bottom