• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien: Covenant - The Prologue footage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fj0823

I dont see David hurting Shaw after those lines of dialogue.

I think Shaw might be in hyper sleep during the whole movie

jwk94

What was David's last line? I couldn't understand him.

that's the one thing I don't want to happen :(
she should just sleep and be the main character again in the next movie

as one of the few people who liked prometheus, I enjoyed this prologue a lot

Agreed fully. I actually didn't know she was in this, so I'm happy to see them both. I thought they said this wasn't a sequel to Prometheus though?

I honestly don't understand the conniption people have trying to explain how the Xeno lifecycle works.

When there is no queen, egg morphing happens. The bodies are walled in goo and eventually the goo breaks them down into eggs. You can see this in a fantastic deleted scene that should have been in the movie.

In Aliens, I think the presence of more than one Xeno automatically causes a biological function for them to hive, eventually one of those xenos either becomes a Queen, or a queen egg is made somehow, probably by an additional process or maybe even just by the presence of multiple xenomorphs.

Even Alien: Isolation hints at
egg morphing and the presence of a queen
, which technically implies that perhaps the goo they wall people up in will inevitably turn them into eggs. Which jives with the idea of some kind of terraforming biobombweapon, instead of some birthed from beyond the pale space horror.

This looks better than Prometheus, but I kind of liked Prometheus it just needed to be more...art house. Like the first moments of discovering the derelict stretched into a nightmarish cosmic horror film.

Leynos

I don't think Shaw knew that David was the reason why Holloway got infected.

She absolutely knew that David infected Holloway when David explicitly stated that the contagious element wasn't airborne. She then gave him a look of disgust/hatred. How else would David know that it wasn't airborne unless he knew specifically what did cause the infection?

he kinda has to, now. David creates the xenomorph. We know the xenomorphs life cycle thanks to Cameron creating a queen (now that the Alien using organic material to transform things/people into eggs is out via Ridley cutting the scene from the original), so now, considering this entire series is all about taking vague, inexplicable "lore" and turning it into prequel fodder, he's gotta figure out a way to squeeze the queen into these movies somehow.

Unless he's planning on pushing ALIENS out of the canon. (such as it is)
David couldn't have possibly created the Xenomorph, the Space Jockey in Alien was fossilized, unless there are some incredibly contrived plot ideas thrown in the next movies the Xenomorphs must've existed for a long time. The fact that there was a deacon mural in the Engineer temple also supports this.

Since the original idea was eggmorphing, we don't know what Ridley will do but the Queen is not the only option. Fun fact: the original Alien Engineers script, from which some ideas in Covenant come from, did have different "strains" of Aliens. It's perfectly possible that David may be creating his own variation of the creature and that the Alien eggs in LV-426 might be slightly different, maybe the Queen is only generated by a certain strain while others reproduce differently.

David couldn't have possibly created the Xenomorph, the Space Jockey in Alien was fossilized, unless there are some incredibly contrived plot ideas thrown in the next movies the Xenomorphs must've existed for a long time. The fact that there was a deacon mural in the Engineer temple also supports this.

David apparently creates the xenomorph in this movie. So I'm guessing there's some incredibly contrived shit coming. Considering the movie this film is following after, incredibly contrived shit is a very distinct possibility going forward.

We don't know what Ridley will do but the Queen is not the only option.

I know, (I've already mentioned a couple times in this thread I'm very familiar with the original conception of the creature's lifecycle) which is why I was asking whether or not Ridley's going to even squeeze one in or not. Or if he's going to ignore it, or introduce his own notion and essentially retcon ALIENS out of continuity.

But the entire point of these movies is to serve as a succession of origin stories for the universe. He's specifically set out to explain how the xenomorphs came to be, and how that ship crashed on LV-426.

He's destroying mysteries, not creating them.

wolgoen

Just watched a segment of Covenant at the cinema as part of the Alien Day super ticket.

Not a spoiler but I'll tag it anyway, but I'm concerned there is going to be too much
humour and bad dialogue in this. The word 'tits' was said twice in the segment. I mean really???? In an Alien movie???? It happened during a really cringe bad joke part of dialogue that felt so out of place. No surprise it came from Danny Mcbrides character Tennessee, Mcbride who has done how many serious movie roles?....none.

I left feeling a little disappointed and my Covenant hype has dropped somewhat.

liquidtmd

Banned
Prometheus' numero uno problem - characters. The audience needs to kind of like them. Find them relatable. Find them abrasive. Evoke...Something.

Ripley. Ash. Dallas. Kane. Lambert. Parker. Hicks. Newt. Hudson. Apone. Burke. Fuck me, even half the guys in Alien3 were memorable. Distinct.

Thinking back to Prometheus, I remember a lot of the visuals but not much of the characters and zero of the dialogue. The plot, yeah sure I remember but beyond Shaw and David I'd be struggling to remember anyones names.

The geologist guy who likes rocks who said 'I like Rocks'?

Unless Covenant addresses this, I don't care how many CGI Xenos they wave at the screen

David apparently creates the xenomorph in this movie. So I'm guessing there's some incredibly contrived shit coming. Considering the movie this film is following after, incredibly contrived shit is a very distinct possibility going forward.
No doubt about that, still, let's not forget the Xeno mural in Prometheus, these creatures already existed in one form or the other before David tampered with the black goo.

I know, (I've already mentioned a couple times in this thread I'm very familiar with the original conception of the creature's lifecycle) which is why I was asking whether or not Ridley's going to even squeeze one in or not. Or if he's going to ignore it, or introduce his own notion and essentially retcon ALIENS out of continuity.

But the entire point of these movies is to serve as a succession of origin stories for the universe. He's specifically set out to explain how the xenomorphs came to be, and how that ship crashed on LV-426.

He's destroying mysteries, not creating them.
We still have some movies to go until Alien, also there were tons of eggs in the cargo by of the derelict, even if Ridley is adamant on introducing his own vision of the Xeno's origins I doubt he'll kick the Queen out of the canon, there may be just different kinds of Xenomorphs.

Savitar

I don't believe Shaw knows David caused the outbreak to happen, she likely thought it happened in the place they investigated which was a natural assumption to make since that's where they found everything. You don't exactly save the person who is the reason for everyone getting killed, especially your boyfriend that resulted in a freaking alien being born in you. Giving back Davids body and trusting him after all that otherwise would be outright stupid and Shaw was not suicidal like that.

As for David and his motives, I wonder if he will say why. There are certainly reasons why he might be doing all this but for now can only speculate. The other engineer ripping his head off likely made him feel a strong sense of rejection from what he hoped would be beings that would appreciate him, especially if the humans did not. And much like them wanted to be the creator of something new and unique.

You think he wouldn't be able to hurt people but perhaps his programming is unique, or faulty as the models that Ash was like.

What was David's last line? I couldn't understand him.

First words uttered were probably engineer language and the very last one was "and despair"

Percy Shelley's "Ozymandias"

I met a traveller from an antique land
Who said: Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
Stand in the desert. Near them, on the sand,
Half sunk, a shattered visage lies, whose frown,
And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them and the heart that fed:

And on the pedestal these words appear:
'My name is Ozymandias, king of kings:
Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!'
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.[4]

David couldn't have possibly created the Xenomorph, the Space Jockey in Alien was fossilized, unless there are some incredibly contrived plot ideas thrown in the next movies the Xenomorphs must've existed for a long time.

The harsh atmosphere of LV 426 fossilized the Space Jockey in a short time. Send me my check!

Erigu

She absolutely knew that David infected Holloway when David explicitly stated that the contagious element wasn't airborne. She then gave him a look of disgust/hatred. How else would David know that it wasn't airborne unless he knew specifically what did cause the infection?
Could also be that he examined Holloway's corpse and learned something while she was unconscious.
But yeah, you'd expect some follow-up questions at some point.

"And who would have guessed leaving a bunch of directions to our weapon factory would have negative consequences down the line?"
Heh, I think it's okay to call that good old idiocy.

Number_6

The thematic point is made blunter and more loudly (which means Ridley would love it more) if it is their home planet, and the android literally just bombed the gods and became one himself on their blighted graves.

Cool, thanks again!

Maybe I have a narrow viewpoint, but that seems almost counter to Ridley's comments and edits on Blade Runner, in which he does his best to muddy up the theme by insisting that Deckard is a replicant. Or maybe he felt it was too simplistic and was just trying to backstep into having a "cool twist".

Ridley Scott is the David of the Aliens franchise.

Whoa.

Got

Banned
Prometheus is a super polarizing movie. Personally I loved it and think it is very much worth watching. No matter what, odds are you've wasted time on much worse movies or shows.

if anything it's gorgeous to look at. the story has obvious and major flaws but I can't help watching it over and over again.

Man, I love the voice filter they add to injured androids. And jeez, what a size difference between the Engineer suits we see in this prologue and the size of the suit in Alien.

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Is this in the film or was it just for promotional material like the last supper scene they uploaded the other week?

Bob White

WTF?! All this time I thought this story would go unanswered and Covenant would just "forget" about the last movie.

Fucking hype!

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
ice_cube_wtf_gqvqs30u.gif

suaveric

Why do the
Engineers
look like shit this time round?

According to that major spoiler/leak someone posted above you:
those are "lessor" Engineers, the ones who created us and the black goo are maybe evolved versions of those guys on that planet.

Salz01

Before I click is this part of the movie or some marketing thing, that's not part of the upcoming movie?

Anung

Un Rama
According to that major spoiler/leak someone posted above you:
those are "lessor" Engineers, the ones who created us and the black goo are maybe evolved versions of those guys on that planet.

Ah, as long as there's a decent plot explanation that's cool.

I'm attending a screening of this tomorrow, curious to see how it turned out. Not gonna watch the prologue, though, I feel like we've been bombarded with enough spoilers already.

Edit: Should have been more precise, there'll be a screening of the first 20 minutes of the movie in my city. I really shouldn't post when tired.

jett

D-Member
Ridley Scott is the David of the Aliens franchise.

Hah.

It's funny watching the Prometheus doc that came with the bluray and seeing literally every artist working on the picture against the idea of turning the Space Jockey into a spacesuit. Ridley Scott gives no fucks.

RaidenZR

If you're going to comment about spoilered links and stories, tag that shit. Or someone change the thread title to mention there's spoiler talk in here. Fuck's sake.

I'm attending a screening of this tomorrow, curious to see how it turned out. Not gonna watch the prologue, though, I feel like we've been bombarded with enough spoilers already.

Edit: Should have been more precise, there'll be a screening of the first 20 minutes of the movie in my city. I really shouldn't post when tired.

Watching 20 minutes of a movie isn't going to tell you much bud. And the prologue isn't part of the movie so it's only going to add more to the experience if you watch it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom