• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

BBQ GAF - Smokin' Your Meat, USA Style

As it stands Kingsford has been avaliable most anywhere and is priced pretty well and works excellent but if theres something better in the same price range id definately be interested. Ive only used the bottom rack for baked beans but thanks for the thought ill try that out next time!

Also anyone here used simpily marvelous rubs? Heard they are really good. Gonna try the $99 multi pack to test em out. https://www.bigpoppasmokers.com/simply-marvelous-rubs. Also i remember promising someone here some rub from my boy who makes it homemade,still waiting but I promise ill deliver when he finally comes through.
Still waiting. Gotta wait a few more weeks before the tomatoes come in. Then I can start making sauce again.

ag-my001

Thinking about getting a Pit Barrel. Thoughts?
My friend really likes his. It's sensitive to outside temperatures, so you'll have to learn to adjust as the seasons change. It is also much better for the smaller things, so chicken, ribs (cut into half racks) and the like do better.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
I don't think I have a problem with Royal Oak or Kingsford blue. Whatever is cheapest between the two. Found them both to be pretty consistent. Though I typically just go with the blue because of how easy it is to find on sale.

This is me too. Kingsford is on sale frequently enough that I can stock up. I know how it burns so I am used to it. There may be better, but not really enough reason to change from something that is working fine.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
I made eggs benedict and subbed the english muffin with a toasted bun and the ham with a pile of BBQ pulled pork. Probably one of the best BBQ related dishes I have ever made. If I had a restaurant, I'd probably sell that.

There really is no limit to the things you can make with BBQ pulled pork.

Stubbs is good but I can't find it anywhere near me. I was using Royal Oak briquettes and loving them, but last summer I got a 2 pack for $7 and change, now they are $6 a bag, and the bags are smaller than the 18.6lb bags of Kingsford I got 2 for $10.

Try Lowes and Home Depot the ones here in NJ carry them.

ColdPizza

Banned
I made eggs benedict and subbed the english muffin with a toasted bun and the ham with a pile of BBQ pulled pork. Probably one of the best BBQ related dishes I have ever made. If I had a restaurant, I'd probably sell that.

There really is no limit to the things you can make with BBQ pulled pork.

Pulled pork is so damn versatile

Tacos/burritos
Pulled pork nachos
BBQ pizza
Egg rolls (you can buy wonton wrappers and fry them yourself)
BBQ spaghetti

zbarron

Try Lowes and Home Depot the ones here in NJ carry them.
That's where I always get charcoal, also Walmart.
Pulled pork is so damn versatile

Tacos/burritos
Pulled pork nachos
BBQ pizza
Egg rolls (you can buy wonton wrappers and fry them yourself)
BBQ spaghetti
I made home made Mac n cheese and topped it with pulled pork and drizzled BBQ sauce over the whole thing.
32937650924_2982e301dd_b.jpg

snacknuts

we all knew her
After all the praise I've seen for the Slow N Sear, I finally pulled the trigger on one last night. Looking forward to taking my first stab at smoking here in the next couple weeks. Will probably do chicken wings to start.

Do I have a gem sitting under my nose all this time???

I called weber a few weeks ago to order new handles. I have newerish grill with the ash pan below and riveted handles with old wooden grips. The wood long came off the bowl handles and the lid one is sorta hanging on. They told me they didn't have replacements for that one but for my other grill with screwed on handles. In the mail came the plastic covers for the riveted handles.

So I called weber up to say I didn't get the right ones. I never paid close attention to it or the small minor differences between the obvious weber and the old black kettle that I've been using for years. The sales rep was asking for identifying marks, and I felt really stupid after finally noticing that I just played dumb (He couldn't find the grill on his end). Instead of the traditional weber branded damper, I finally noticed the handles say "The Happy Cooker" on them.

A little bit of online searching, I have a black kettle SC500. Besides one broken handle, it's in really good condition. I've favored it on my smokes because of the inside ash pan and the three small daisy dampers on the bottom side. Apparently there are collectors out there for it, but I don't think I'd want to part with it even if I could buy a replacement weber with it.

Chris R

So, anyone have a preferred bluetooth temp probe? Trying not to break the bank, sub $100 would be ideal, but even cheaper is fine if it's a semi decent quality.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Last night was my first-ever attempt at smoking something and I would consider it a huge success.

zVq3pBi.jpg

Good stuff! I love doing wings on my kettle.

I usually do my pork shoulder on the WSM, but mine is in storage right now, so I had to do it on the kettle yesterday. I am so rusty about doing pork shoulder on the kettle that I let the temps get a bit too high at times. Plus it rained alot of the day so it was a challenge. It turned out good, but not nearly as good as I am used to.

Last night was my first-ever attempt at smoking something and I would consider it a huge success.

zVq3pBi.jpg

Great job there,how long did they take to smoke and what temp did you run em at?

That's where I always get charcoal, also Walmart.

I made home made Mac n cheese and topped it with pulled pork and drizzled BBQ sauce over the whole thing.
32937650924_2982e301dd_b.jpg

Damn that sounds tasty.

Pulled this little butt of the grill earlier today. Smoked it overnight to have it ready for game night tonight.

Great bark on there!

snacknuts

we all knew her
Great job there,how long did they take to smoke and what temp did you run em at?

I was targeting 325° and let it go for a little over an hour. I think they were pretty much perfect.

EDIT: Have any of you seen a DIY table build for a kettle grill that you really like? I'd like to build something like the below, but I don't have any woodworking experience and I don't have a lot of patio space to work with. But my biggest gripe when grilling right now is not having any kind of work surface alongside the grill.

zbarron

I just wanted to brag about my library for a moment.

They have a program where you can ask them to buy any book they don't already have and they will, and you get it first. I did that with Meathead's BBQ book. It is really nice and I recommend grabbing a copy.
34243227215_8d7738d183_b.jpg

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
EDIT: Have any of you seen a DIY table build for a kettle grill that you really like? I'd like to build something like the below, but I don't have any woodworking experience and I don't have a lot of patio space to work with. But my biggest gripe when grilling right now is not having any kind of work surface alongside the grill.

I am working on something like that for mine but making the top out of concrete. Well I am not building it yet, just planning it out on paper before going into Sketchup. I'd like to have a nice size counter top to form pizza dough and other prep work right there by the grill. But I have other projects to finish first, I probably won't get to it until next year.

If you don't have the tools or experience to build it, there are several people on Etsy that make and sell units similar to that. But they aren't cheap.

You can buy basic workbench tables from Home Depot or Lowes. Then you can adjust it to fit your needs. Use the lid as a guide line and cut out a circle about 1-2" smaller so the bowl doesn't fall through (angled is you have the skill). You might also want to get some sort of rubber or silicon (heat proof) that you can line the ring with to help avoid heat transference and add grip. Then finish it off with some hook around the side for tools.

I bought an outdoor workcart from Ikea at the end of last summer. They had extra bases and no tops to go with them. So they ended up in the as-is section for $10. I spent about $20 on a nice piece of birch plywood to make a top. I'm considering adding planks of oak or another dark wood to the top to make it thicker and look nicer. I currently use it indoors, but I started out using it outdoors.

http://m.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/spr/49931802/

Be careful at the height of the table. If it's too low, it will strain your back if you do your prepping outside.

Dan-o

I just wanted to brag about my library for a moment.

They have a program where you can ask them to buy any book they don't already have and they will, and you get it first. I did that with Meathead's BBQ book. It is really nice and I recommend grabbing a copy.

Good find! I just checked and my local library has this. I'll be picking it up today. :)

I think I'm going to do brisket for the first time on my WSM 18". I've been reading Meathead's tips and watching others' YouTube videos. I think I'm ready.

Good find! I just checked and my local library has this. I'll be picking it up today. :)

I think I'm going to do brisket for the first time on my WSM 18". I've been reading Meathead's tips and watching others' YouTube videos. I think I'm ready.

As long as weather is good, I'll be throwing on a brisket this weekend as well. But I'll just be using my kettle. About a month ago, Home Depot had a WSM on clearance for $179. I really really wanted it, but I knew I couldn't spend the money, even if it was nearly half off.

Any last words of wisdom for me? It's a pretty windy day, but it's supposed to calm down tonight and be pretty pleasant for tomorrow. I usually throw my meats on between 12 and 1am, so there's enough time to let them rest before the afternoon. I was also able to get a strip of butcher paper from a local shop to wrap it mid way. I won't go more complicated than some salt and pepper. I'll show some pictures once I get started. Right now the brisket is sitting in the sink defrosting (still packaged). I want to get it up to room temp before I put it on the grill.

Any last words of wisdom for me? It's a pretty windy day, but it's supposed to calm down tonight and be pretty pleasant for tomorrow. I usually throw my meats on between 12 and 1am, so there's enough time to let them rest before the afternoon. I was also able to get a strip of butcher paper from a local shop to wrap it mid way. I won't go more complicated than some salt and pepper. I'll show some pictures once I get started. Right now the brisket is sitting in the sink defrosting (still packaged). I want to get it up to room temp before I put it on the grill.

Watch out for pesky neighbours just "dropping in" once the sweet smell of that smoke drifts around

Dan-o

How big is your brisket? I trimmed mine this afternoon. Took way longer than I had hoped. I split the point from the flat, though, since the whole thing was too long to fit in my WSM. Putting it on in a couple hours I think.

I didn't do too much trimming on mine, the fat cap didn't seem that thick, so I limited my trimming. I usually do my smokes on a kettle, but my piece went from side to side. So I'm trying something new.

I've never tried it before, and the fire pit is brand new. I had to modify it just a bit by covering the grates. I used long sheets if foil foled over a couple times. The pit came with it's own solid cover. My neighbor brought over a pork butt as well and put that on my grill.

So I killed the flat, and the point turned out alright. Everyone ate off the flat end, so now I have the point as leftovers. An unexpected pork butt turned out pretty good, but it got done much earlier than I needed it to be. My neighbor brought it over and asked if I could smoke it for him. I also made some chorizo burgers and chicken tacos.
Here's some pictures...
E04AACA5-BEB0-4650-B30C-1DE643FEE70D_zpsj4aofh1u.jpg

AA5C0734-0157-4681-BBB9-0B165565EC26_zpskoyvnrf8.jpg

08F0C19A-4DB2-4C59-B9F2-CDDD6D50EE32_zpsxbxtgzms.jpg

And the one thing I didn't have to cook
16D521F1-53C7-44A1-98C4-658CEB53A064_zps94qjurpo.jpg

Got some new rubs in that are super delish. Doing two whole racks of St Louis ribs tommorow split in two each so I can try 4 of the rubs I got in. Taste test Tuesday baby yeahhhhhh!

Shit Id love to get a copper or green Webber Kettle to add to the family,gotta get a WSM first.

Also PMs sent to Zbarron and Eye for an Eye

I saw this a few uears ago and thought it was the perfect thing, but it dissappeared and this is the first time seeing it in a while.

https://www.worldmarket.com/product..._source=outdoorfurn&CAMP=200211&RRID=37674621

It's a good working height, even if it can't hold the grill inside. It can still offer the work space for prepping and serving.

ColdPizza

Banned

Yeah, any sort of open wood cooking or slow cooking with wood is okay by me. It's not only a way to cook, but I consider it quite relaxing too, whether sitting next to a camp fire like this, or sitting next to my smoker with a beer.

hoserx

Yeah, any sort of open wood cooking or slow cooking with wood is okay by me. It's not only a way to cook, but I consider it quite relaxing too, whether sitting next to a camp fire like this, or sitting next to my smoker with a beer.

Agreed. Slow cooking that chicken at 3400 feet is about as good as it gets.

TeddyBoy

Right GAF, I need some help.

So I'm hosting a rather large party this saturday and on Sunday I plan on making the survivors a nice BBQ lunch as quite a few of them have long journeys back home so I figured it would be nice.

Now there's actually more people coming than I thought which means I need some supplies, I've got a disposable BBQ but haven't bought any of the meat or the sauce yet.

Can anyone give me a rough guide to how much meat and sauce I'm going to need for 20-30 people?

(For the sauce I want to marinade the meat the day before and just take it out for the BBQ since I will be quite hungover and unable to do anything too crazy).

captive

Joe Six-Pack: posting for the common man

So I'm hosting a rather large party this saturday and on Sunday I plan on making the survivors a nice BBQ lunch as quite a few of them have long journeys back home so I figured it would be nice.

Now there's actually more people coming than I thought which means I need some supplies, I've got a disposable BBQ but haven't bought any of the meat or the sauce yet.

Can anyone give me a rough guide to how much meat and sauce I'm going to need for 20-30 people?

(For the sauce I want to marinade the meat the day before and just take it out for the BBQ since I will be quite hungover and unable to do anything too crazy).
my mom always told me figure about half a pound per person. But if you're doing ribs go with closer to a pound per person as theres a lot of rib bones.

You don't need to marinate the meat, just throw some pappy's or other rub mix on about 30 min before cooking. Most meats cook a little better if left to sit for a bit.

Ribs are great, but take time. At least a few hours to get a good smoke.

Split chickens take about 40 mins.

Tri tip takes about 90+ minutes for rare.

Party wings about 30 minutes.

Burgers about 20 minutes.

Pork loins also turn out pretty good on the grill. It's been a while but I think its near an hour.

I guess it just depends on how much time you have to devote to cooking and how much effort you want to put into it. I usually have two grills going. One for meats, and the other for sides and sautéed onions, mushrooms, and peppers are always a hit. If I'm doing a long cook, I'll make wings or something as an appetizer while the meat rests.

For that many people though, the lazy man way would be smoking a whole pig overnight. Then they can just dig in right off the grill.

zbarron

Are you talking BBQ or grilling? What disposable BBQ did you buy?

Top Bottom