• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameInformer: Yes, Destiny 2 Is Worth Checking Out If You Hated The First Game

ShdwDrake

Banned
Strange, I play it from time to time and have 285 Light without getting rewards from Raid (got flawless in Trials tho). There's no grinding in this game, I already have almost full collection of weapons in my Vault lol. Compared to D1 "grinding" here is a joke with clan rewards and easy weekly activities.

Maybe I should clarify. I am at 289 light and I feel like the progression is really slow unless the light level is meh and doesn't mean too much when it comes to progression itself. It's just once you hit a certain point its like your playing the game but nothing is happening.

Normally this is where I would play the PvP but I'm not really a fan.

Tiops

Eh, I read his argument but I can't say I agree. I'm currently playing Destiny 2 and it's basically a bigger and more polished version of the first game. The only major improvement would be the story, but it's an element that doesn't matter that much in the end game.

It's an awesome game for people that did like Destiny 1 (or didn't play it and would like to try it), but I definitely wouldn't recommend it otherwise.

dugdug

Banned
This would be fine for me if we're talking the moment-to-moment gameplay; the shooting and the wandering around were both fine. It's the sheer lack of anything interesting to do as a solo player that killed my interest, and from the article it sounds like Destiny 2 only partially addresses this. Saying the campaign is about on par with one of the weaker Halo campaigns is really not a good way to sell someone on the game if they're not interested in finding a bunch of other hardcore Destiny players who can do high-level raids. Anybody who was already doing that is probably already playing Destiny 2.

Yeah, if the shooting and walking around weren't enough for you the first time around, I would only say this adds a really basic story to that, and, if that's enough, give it a go.

I just worry articles like this would lead players to believe you do anything more in this game other than shoot a bunch of shit and walk up to things while holding down the square button.

I think if you "hated" the first one - this would be a really bad purchase.

If you liked the first one, but found it disappointing and didn't hold your interest - this one has a better chance of doing so.
Very true. I fall in the 2nd category and I think D2 is a wonderful loot game

I was severely disappointed with Destiny 1 but feel this one addresses a lot of my issues. BUT it's going to need a lot more weekly support and building out in the basic PvE gameplay for those of us not all about PvP.

Totally agree. Wasnt the biggest fan of the first game but really enjoy Destiny 2.

Many improvements makes it much more enjoyable.

Dissent-

Neo Member

If you liked the first one, but found it disappointing and didn't hold your interest - this one has a better chance of doing so.

I hated the first one with so much passion that I got in to heated arguments at work over it. I got the game for free and was disgusted with it after trying to enjoy it for about 6 hours of gameplay. I never returned to it.

That said, I am loving Destiny 2. Everything that I disliked and found dreadfully boring about Destiny 1 seems fixed or at least done better.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
definitely this, they’re the same in almost everything.

To me, there's really only 3 major differences

- 1, an actual story that you can follow

- 2, various QoL improvements, e.g., you don't need to always wear your highest light items

-3, guided games

Other than those 3 things, it's pretty much the first game all over again. I loved D1 so that's fine with me. But I don't think those 3 things are enough to change a nonbeliever into a believer.

Maybe I should clarify. I am at 289 light and I feel like the progression is really slow unless the light level is meh and doesn't mean too much when it comes to progression itself. It's just once you hit a certain point its like your playing the game but nothing is happening.

Normally this is where I would play the PvP but I'm not really a fan.

This game has a bizarre way to progress light levels. Only certain accomplishments grant gear to really boost you, and unless you know ahead of time and plan accordingly, you can get "stuck" at a light level until the weekly reset happens which will allow you to get those big boosts again.

I thought I was stuck for a bit too but then I raised my characters light levels significantly with the "powerful" engram rewards.

Head.spawn

This seems about right.

I think most of the people saying they "hated" the first game but love the second game just have their language stuck on hyperbole+1.

It's really not all that different from the first game. Some things are improved, most things are exactly the same.

I did enjoy the gameplay a bit more in the second one, probably because I was playing it on PC, but I thought the gunplay was the best part of the first game anyways. And in the end it still wasn't enough to seal a purchase either of them. The reasons I detested the first game are absolutely still there for the second game and it's not likely to change at any point with this game or the third game, it would take a gaming miracle to get me to change my mind.

Ushay

I strongly disliked the first one, but really like the second game. Still displeased with the timed content for Xbox, but it isn't a deal breaker.

We'll see if Destiny can hold me when Anthem arrives.

I hated 1 but really like 2.

That's great and all but as someone who loves both I find it really hard to understand.

They're nigh on identical gameplay wise. The meta game is only slightly changed and the story is decent but hardly has much to do with what makes Destiny, Destiny.

Anyway, happy for the converts.

angry-joe-vs-corporate-o.gif

Heard enough about MC and DLC before reviews even came out. Gave Destiny 1 a chance but sorry Bungie, no more.

LordOfChaos

I never liked the first one and am enjoying 2 quite a bit.

Hated is a strong word though. It did leave a bad taste at times, but there were enjoyable parts.

N7.Angel

To me, there's really only 3 major differences

- 1, an actual story that you can follow

- 2, various QoL improvements, e.g., you don't need to always wear your highest light items

-3, guided games

Other than those 3 things, it's pretty much the first game all over again. I loved D1 so that's fine with me. But I don't think those 3 things are enough to change a nonbeliever into a believer.

The story is terrible, the script is terrible, the dialogues are terrible, the narration is still as bad as the first one, everything is narrated by your ghost in two or three sentences... we’re still missing the grimoire or something to explore the lore more.

I really think the game as a potential as a series but coming to Actvision was a mistake...

Cranster

Banned
LMAO, hell no. Maybe when I can get all the content for under $30, but until then Bungie will not be getting anymore of my money.

Dissent-

Neo Member
That's great and all but as someone who loves both I find it really hard to understand.

They're nigh on identical gameplay wise. The meta game is only slightly changed and the story is decent but hardly has much to do with what makes Destiny, Destiny.

Anyway, happy for the converts.

Part of it for me was that I was playing it on PS3 and it looked awful, played awful and told a boring story. The multiplayer felt like a confusing unbalanced mess and the lore was not consumable at all. Words and concepts being thrown around that it felt like they wanted you to understand but it was just too much to process while trying to learn the basic systems of the game. Destiny 2 paces everything far better in my opinion.

What makes Destiny, Destiny? From someone who never played it.

The seamless mulitplayer,like when a bunch of people turn up to help with a public event.

The art style and overall presentation.

I massive gap in difficulty between what's easy and what's hard.

Amazing gunplay.

Loads of grinding if you want.

ethomaz

Banned
If that helps there little to no grind in D2... every piece of gear is higher than you own level making every drop useful.

I reached 275 pretty fast.

The gunplay is perfection.

And while the game still have flaws it is overall the best gaming experience launched this year.

psychotron

I grew tired of the first very fast. It was a disappointment to me on so many levels. That said, I can't stop playing 2.

Part of it for me was that I was playing it on PS3 and it looked awful, played awful and told a boring story. The multiplayer felt like a confusing unbalanced mess and the lore was not consumable at all. Words and concepts being thrown around that it felt like they wanted you to understand but it was just too much to process while trying to learn the basic systems of the game. Destiny 2 paces everything far better in my opinion.

I never played on PS3 but man I hated the controller for first person shooters.

I'm having difficulty following the dialogue in D2 because I'm so used to filtering it out in the first game.

The story in 2 is good in that you can ay least follow it. To me it feels like they bolted a few episodes of a Saturday morning cartoon on to Destiny 1.

Again, saying this as someone who absolutely loves Destiny 2.

StoveOven

Banned
Maybe I'll try it if it's on sale one day, but there are too many games I know I'll enjoy for me to spend money/time on a sequel to a game I found utterly uninteresting.

This game seems a lot different. A lot less of a grind to higher levels than I recall from the first game. I feel D2's approach is catering more to casuals that cannot focus on the game like the hardcore and that is a good thing.

The seamless mulitplayer,like when a bunch of people turn up to help with a public event.

The art style and overall presentation.

I massive gap in difficulty between what's easy and what's hard.

Amazing gunplay.

Loads of grinding if you want.

Thanks, I'm tempted. Is it more sci-fi or fantasy?

I’m not falling for this trap.

What bothered me more than hating the last game was that other people kept playing it because they thought it was good. Humans deserve better.

I will suppress the interest I have for Destiny 2 because it doesn’t deserve my time or money and I already let it rob me the first time. Instead I’ll wait and let the next Borderlands scratch the itch.

Perineum

I got 5 different friends to pick it up who all weren't into D1 at all or didn't try it.

All of them are hooked. There is more to be not a fan of here if you are a veteran who is critical of the franchise, but as a newcomer or someone who lightly messed with D1 then this is a good purchase. Maybe you won't hold onto it for hundreds of hours, bu with each content drop you can come back and add more time/fun to enjoy it.

Right now at launch you can easily get 50+ hours without even going grind heavy or raid heavy if you enjoy the PvP.

Strakt

What bothered me more than hating the last game was that other people kept playing it because they thought it was good. Humans deserve better.

I will suppress the interest I have for Destiny 2 because it doesn’t deserve my time or money and I already let it rob me the first time. Instead I’ll wait and let the next Borderlands scratch the itch.

LOL wut

mas8705

I'm actually in this camp too. It wasn't that I hated the first game, but I lost all interest in it before I was half way done. Here though, I'm actually enjoying the game for what it provides. Don't know why, but it does feel like an improvement.

orborborb

Well I put hundreds of hours into Destiny 1 and could barely force myself to play most of the content even once in Destiny 2. It's clear to me that the people most responsible for the world building and combat design that was inherently engaging in the original game (no matter what silly loot system they kept changing around it) are no longer involved. It just feels like a shitty Blizzard game now.

GhaleonEB

The author defines what he means by "hating" in the early part of the article:

It would be an understatement to say that I did not like Destiny upon its release in 2014. Years later I still maintain that it's a bad game. Not even a mediocre one. Straight up bad, with its environments composed of endless, barren plains with enemies surging toward you horde-style, its constant grind with diminishing returns, and let's not forget the awful, non-existent attempt at storytelling culminating with a character saying "I don't have time to explain what I don't have time to explain." Admittedly, expansion packs like The Taken King and Rise Of Iron helped fixed a lot of those problems by inserting mini-campaigns into the game and filling out what was essentially a clunky proof of concept with the kind of content that should have been there in the first place, but it still felt like a bandaid on a broken bone, as none of Destiny's locations or activities were as interesting or satisfying as its gunplay.

This overlaps pretty heavily with the reasons a lot of folks here say they disliked Destiny 1. If you hated the game for different reasons, then Destiny 2 might not be your cup of tea, either. But it does hit the issues he outlined pretty hard (as the article covers in greater detail)

Protip: if you are not interested in the topic of a thread - in this case both the game and the article that prompted the thread - don't hit post.

What a crock of shit.

You can not like a game for any reason you want but being bothered that other people play it "because they thought it was good. Humans deserve better. " is ridiculous.

I mean I think sports games are the most boring drivel imaginable but I'd be a right dickhead if I pitied the people that enjoyed them and played them obsessively.

Tawpgun

The game has content in the early and midgame out the wazzoooo. You don't even have to do the more grindy stuff or even touch PvP if you don't want and you'll still have easily 40-50 hours worth of VERY solid content.

I'll be honest I fell in love with D1 because of the people I played with. The raids were almost worth the purchase alone but the game was a horrendous mess.

Destiny 2 SHOWERS you with loot and increases your power VERY generously. It slows down considerably after you hit 265, and if you don't want to do the high level stuff for more powerful loot there is nothing wrong with beating all the PvE missions and putting the game down.

Top Bottom