• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameInformer: Yes, Destiny 2 Is Worth Checking Out If You Hated The First Game

I have no idea why someone who didn't like the first game would like this one. It's basically the same. Yes the story at least makes sense but it's still just avg. The rest of the game is Destiny with new coat of paint and barely that.

Monocle

Yes. The missions are large and varied, some mix in vehicles, vast open spaces, objectives, platforming, etc. Very few defensive stands and in general are very different than D1. I went into detail what playing a side mission was like, here, as a point of contrast. It's a night and day difference in mission and encounter design, with about 4x the raw territory to cover.

This is objectively false. Every system in the game was overhauled. The article goes into detail, as did I.

Very similar, yes.

Destiny 1 endgame, post-campaign: Strike playlist, Nightfall strike, Heroic strike, raid, Iron Banner.

Destiny 2 endgagem, post-campaign: ~3 dozen Adventures with various mechanics, comparable to full missions in Destiny 1; 15 or so lost sectors; numerous exotic quests; several quests consisting of numerious missions across the destinations; Trials of the Nine; Iron Banner; Nightfall strike (with rotating, high-impact mechanics); Nightfall strike hard mode, raid.

The campaign is much larger, missions are 2-3x longer each, and cover proportionally more territory.

There are around 40 single player missions, excluding quests, and before strikes (with matchmaking), and not including all the public events. I'm a few dozen hours in and am still working on quests, adventures and strikes (most of which I haven't seen yet).

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but there are measureable facts you are referencing and your facts are objectively wrong. You can still come out no liking the game, of course. But your post isn't grounded in reality.
Hnnnnnnggg, I can't wait to get into this game once my Destiny friends make the leap.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Yes. The missions are large and varied, some mix in vehicles, vast open spaces, objectives, platforming, etc. Very few defensive stands and in general are very different than D1. I went into detail what playing a side mission was like, here, as a point of contrast. It's a night and day difference in mission and encounter design, with about 4x the raw territory to cover.
Well damn. That was my main issue with the game. That and I really hated the UI (couldn't understand why people praised it). I wonder if I need to get it now...

Now that people are no longer being sold on it being some impossibly expansive space exploration game, absolutely. The levels are faaaar more interesting, the music is AMAZING, and they at least tried to give the characters some personality this time round. It's funny how much those add to the franchise, cause the core gameplay is essentially the same. But I'm having a blast playing Destiny 2, whereas I thought Destiny 1 was super dry.

Top Bottom