• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameInformer: Yes, Destiny 2 Is Worth Checking Out If You Hated The First Game

K.Sabot

If you thoght the issue with Destiny 1 was that the RPG aspects of the game were too streamlined and shallow and that was a dealbreaker... it hasn't gotten better, in fact it's gotten worse / more streamlined outside of giving each of the 3 classes a new ability...

The game still feels like the same quality shooter that Destiny 1 was, but now it has a 6/10 Halo campaign instead of a 2/10 Halo campaign attached to a very poor facsimile of an MMO.

It's PSO with shooting gameplay, less depth, somehow a worse story and lore, and decent loot but not as good as PSO either.

7/10 it was pretty good.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
I think the new game is junk and still would handily call The Taken King top-tier Destiny without question.

That said, I get the appeal of being pleased to play a dumb shooter with friends while swapping new guns and outfits every few feet for minimum dozen hours or more. It delivers on that surface level fluff at a base level. $60 well spent for many until Battlefront 2 or CoD or whatever new flavor comes along. I get it and I too stuck around the last couple weeks for at least as much as I could pretend to care any longer.

it's got severe issues and I cannot ever condone such an inflated score even considering the above. Almost snake-oil levels of insanity for those that may wish for more than a turgid campaign and legendary gift explosions every few minutes. But yea, friends and chat and headshots can win out for many.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I really hated Destiny but man 2, is one of the biggest upgrades I've seen for a game like this. It feels so much better.

Floody

I agree, but if you still didn't like it after the Taken King you probably still won't.
Though if you hated 1 you probably didn't play post Taken King Destiny, so should probably rent it first.

I'm not entirely convinced that if you hated the original Destiny, that you will love Destiny 2. It really depends on what you hated about Destiny that makes the determination.

If, for example, for the original, you were expecting a more narrative-focused game along the lines of Halo, but massively expanded, then no you probably won't like Destiny 2. Same applies if you were expecting the MASSIVE variety and (general) balance of Halo's multiplayer. If you especially hate the repetitive MMO/PSO-like and loot grind aspects of the original, then you definitely won't like 2.

From what it seems like, there is a significant portion of people who didn't like Destiny because of what the core game actually was when they were expecting it to be something else. Given that Destiny 2 only improves on those core aspects, if you never liked it in the first place then you were never going to like the sequel(s) regardless.

Raven117

I think the new game is junk and still would handily call The Taken King top-tier Destiny without question.

That said, I get the appeal of being pleased to play a dumb shooter with friends while swapping new guns and outfits every few feet for minimum dozen hours or more. It delivers on that surface level fluff at a base level. $60 well spent for many until Battlefront 2 or CoD or whatever new flavor comes along. I get it and I too stuck around the last couple weeks for at least as much as I could pretend to care any longer.

it's got severe issues and I cannot ever condone such an inflated score even considering the above. Almost snake-oil levels of insanity for those that may wish for more than a turgid campaign and legendary gift explosions every few minutes. But yea, friends and chat and headshots can win out for many.

Did you get to the endgame? Kinda sounds like you didn't.

I'm not entirely convinced that if you hated the original Destiny, that you will love Destiny 2. It really depends on what you hated about Destiny that makes the determination.

If, for example, for the original, you were expecting a more narrative-focused game, something along the lines of Halo, but massively expanded, then no you probably won't like Destiny 2. If you especially hate the repetitive MMO/PSO-like and loot grind aspects of the original, then you especially won't like 2.

From what it seems like, there is a significant portion of people who didn't like Destiny because of what the core game actually was when they were expecting it to be something else. Given that Destiny 2 only improves on those core aspects, if you never liked it in the first place then you were never going to like the sequel(s) regardless.
Pretty much this.

If you don't like popping off headshots while bsing with your buddies (and some occasional endgame difficult content, but otherwise just chillin), then nothing in Destiny 2 will convince you otherwise. If you liked the above, but there were certain aspects of the grind (maybe story) that just didn't convince you, then D2 will assuage you of such fears and you should jump on in. With the NeoGaf community, there can be hours of fun grouping up and running the tough stuff.

The way I see it the restrictions on weapons, pvp, and slapping a timer on the Nightfall just so you can't chip your way through it solo is a big nofunallowed.jpg fuck you to players. Cancelled my PC preorder.

Brandon F

Did you get to the endgame? Kinda sounds like you didn't.

Pretty much this.

If you don't like popping off headshots while bsing with your buddies (and some occasional endgame difficult content, but otherwise just chillin), then nothing in Destiny 2 will convince you otherwise. If you liked the above, but there were certain aspects of the grind (maybe story) that just didn't convince you, then D2 will assuage you of such fears and you should jump on in. With the NeoGaf community, there can be hours of fun grouping up and running the tough stuff.

Only thing I haven't done is the raid and nightfall yet. At LL 250 or so right now.

But I kinda argued the same as that blurb you responded to the other poster with so why the question?

Magnus

I'm experiencing some serious FOMO on this game due to how overwhelmingly popular it is. I know a lot of my friends are playing it, and I LIKE loot-heavy/MMO-built games, but I just don't care for Destiny's world, its art design, its music, etc. So I'm struggling to get interested. And yet, the FOMO is strong. I just gotta ride it out or jump in I guess, and stop shitting in between.

jadedm17

Destiny 2 is amazing, just wish we got more enemy variety and - as Angry Joe pointed - improved AI.

Great game worth $60-100, but it's more or less a better Destiny 1 imho

5O9W_f-maxage-0_s-200x150.gif

Clearly thebondigty does

Can't stand Angry baby Joe and his ugly leather jacket. I review you angry Joe and I you deserve a 5

Mooreberg

Hearing that people are blasting through everything quickly has unsold me on picking it up next month for PC. It is precisely what I hated about the first game, and the gap between release and DLC is going to miniscule. I will wait for a GOTY package like I should have with the original. There are too many shooters out to be putting up with that again.

Quonny

The RPG mechanics seem just as shallow and unrewarding as the first game, so I seriously doubt I'll like the sequel at all.

Hopefully Anthem strikes the right balance for me.

Hearing that people are blasting through everything quickly has unsold me on picking it up next month for PC. It is precisely what I hated about the first game, and the gap between release and DLC is going to miniscule. I will wait for a GOTY package like I should have with the original. There are too many shooters out to be putting up with that again.

Well yeah, people are playing it wrong (in my opinion). People try their hardest to power level and then get upset when there's not much content left. If you actually explore the game and play all the content (adventures, lost zones, etc.) there's a lot of content there, especially in comparison to the first game.

Brandon F

Well yeah, people are playing it wrong (in my opinion). People try their hardest to power level and then get upset when there's not much content left. If you actually explore the game and play all the content (adventures, lost zones, etc.) there's a lot of content there, especially in comparison to the first game.

Arguably you don't really need to work hard to power level though. It happens naturally without any real commitment(aside from maybe the jump from 265-300 which I am now beginning). But normal progression is in the player's favor so much that it hardly feels like a climb and rather a giant slide into Legendary and Exotic gear for minimal effort.

There is an Ubi-level checklist of collectibles and sidequest adventures to keep busy for many hours beyond the campaign, but they tend to lack proper challenge and satisfying rewards(endless repeat drops and limited variety in armor variants for one).

But sure, it does present more to see and do on a direct comparison basis to Destiny 1 at launch.

that's interesting considering Bungie's decisions burned me off D1 and i have no interest in D2 until i see a serious change in the way their business is conducted. matter of fact is has only seemed to get worse with the micro transactions etc

Peroroncino

I think if you "hated" the first one - this would be a really bad purchase.

If you liked the first one, but found it disappointing and didn't hold your interest - this one has a better chance of doing so.

I don't know, I hated the game after D1 alpha, didn't buy it to this day as a result, I impulse bought D2 and I'm addicted to it since the release.

that's interesting considering Bungie's decisions burned me off D1 and i have no interest in D2 until i see a serious change in the way their business is conducted. matter of fact is has only seemed to get worse with the micro transactions etc

That microtransactions 'controversy' was blown way out of proportions.

Zeneric

Only bout one month to go till the PC version release. Sweet. The PC beta version solidified my Pre-order purchase.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
The original game didn't "rub me the wrong" way - I just had no desire to keep playing it after I finished whatever it had that passed for a campaign. And absolutely nothing I've seen or heard from Destiny 2 has convinced me that would change.

This. If the sequel didn't fix the end-game grind (light levels, lol), I'll continue to have no interest in getting a copy.

katsais

Didn't Game Informer have a shit ton of exclusive D2 pre-launch content and coverage? Wouldn't giving D2 a bad review score be a conflict of interest?

Both IGN and GI aren't trutstworthy to me because they both probably had content/overage deals with Bungie/Activision.

WoolyNinja

I don't understand why so many sites have articles like this trying to get people to purchase Destiny 2? It makes me wonder whats in it for them.

EDIT:
Didn't Game Informer have a shit ton of exclusive D2 pre-launch content and coverage? Wouldn't giving D2 a bad review score be a conflict of interest?

Both IGN and GI aren't trutstworthy to me because they both probably had content/overage deals with Bungie/Activision.

Yep, exactly

ElfArmy177

If you hated Destiny 1, I highly doubt you will enjoy Destiny 2. It's fun but it largely has the same flaws of the first title, it fixed a lot but it's not a monumental difference.

I disagree. I absolutely couldn't stand destiny 1 for more than a few levels. Hated everything about it. Destiny 2 is leagues better, actually has a story, it's smoother, the gunplay seems more refined, levels much more developed and artistically pleasing to look at.

joe_zazen

I disagree. I absolutely couldn't stand destiny 1 for more than a few levels. Hated everything about it. Destiny 2 is leagues better, actually has a story, it's smoother, the gunplay seems more refined, levels much more developed and artistically pleasing to look at.

Not really a shades of grey kind of guy, eh?

Strakt

Here come the conspiracy theories. Easy Allies also had pretty launch content and they gave the game an 8. A gaming site is writing articles for a new popular game... Must be being paid by Activision! Almost every gaming site is covering destiny 2..cause its new.

I bought Destiny 1, but I doubt I'll get the sequel. It just wasn't a fun game solo, and I don't get the impression that it massively improved in that area like Titanfall 2 did. I'm just not MMO people. I only gave the first one a shot because it was Bungie and I was sort of holding out hope that there was a decent Halo-style single player campaign to be had somewhere.

D3VI0US

I strongly disagree with Game Informer and think they are giving people terrible advice. I was hugely disappointed with the first Destiny because it was a boring pedestrian ass shooter. There are a lot of things I hate in this game and the sequel is worse in almost every way other than story, not saying the story is good mind you, because it's not, it's fucking terrible, but it is integrated into the overall game better. I'm not interested in grinding their boring missions to get gear to grind boring ass raid to get different guns with higher numbers. If that's the reason you hated the first game you'll also hate this "sequel".

If you want to play a good campaign with actual epic scope and scale then go play Titanfall 2.

Vanilla Destiny sucked ass. I asked for and received a full refund for that bullshit after a long weekend of realizing it had no content. On the other hand, I purchased the Collection recently for $20 and feel like it's overall much better...so much so that I might have actually been happy paying full price for the game at launch had it released with all the DLC content.

I get the sense from talking to many friends who bought into both at launch that D2 probably isn't worth it to someone like me who despised the first game at launch since it suffers from a similar lack of content despite being polished up and refined. So the articles premise sounds like bullshit to be blunt.

Strakt

I strongly disagree with Game Informer and think they are giving people terrible advice. I was hugely disappointed with the first Destiny because it was a boring pedestrian ass shooter. There are a lot of things I hate in this game and the sequel is worse in almost every way other than story, not saying the story is good mind you, because it's not, it's fucking terrible, but it is integrated into the overall game better. I'm not interested in grinding their boring missions to get gear to grind boring ass raid to get different guns with higher numbers. If that's the reason you hated the first game you'll also hate this "sequel".

If you want to play a good campaign with actual epic scope and scale then go play Titanfall 2.

I don't think they're giving advice.. its more like they are giving their opinion which is why their article is called:

Opinion: Yes, Destiny 2 Is Worth Checking Out If You Hated The First Game

The article states the reasons of why he "hates" the first game and what makes the second one so much better in his opinion. The author is basically saying if you hated the game for the same reasons he did, then most likely the second one will be a pleasant surprise. Most people don't play destiny for the campaign, they play for end game activities.. and while you may find them boring, a lot of people don't because they like shooter looters (The main attraction of destiny).

Varna

I was considering giving this a go when the PC version hit. Bunch of my employees are playing the game but everything about this game sounds pretty awful.

Most agreed that the forced story is just a boring 6 hour tutorial that doesn't teach you shit. Then the rest of the game is just the same mindless grinding you do in every single MMORPG. Also, something about getting a bunch of dupes and the RNG in general being bull shit.

They are definitely hooked though. At least four people have already logged 100+ hours into the game. So there is definitely something to like I suppose.

Varg

Banned
First one didn't hold my interest at all but for some reason this one has me hooked . Will be attempting my first raid with my buddies this weekend .

Aggie CMD

I HATED Destiny. Oh my god the Helium Element loop on the Moon. It is the only game I've deleted and hid from my download list on my Xbox. If I could discard the digital license I would. I would pay a fee to discard it.

Fast forward to Destiny 2. I fell victim to peer pressure and bought the game ready to be disappointed. Secretly I'd hope everybody would hate it or get bored of it really quickly. Well, the stellar campaign sucked me in and know I'm totally into the game. My friends and I have a Fireteam Activity Readiness Assessment built out as an Excel macro and are compiling a Field Guide in OneNote.

Destiny 2 has a great story-driven campaign plus a wealth of post game content. Cayde is the best. My only complaint is that it is easy. Once you out-level a mission or activity it's a walk in the park, granted I haven't done a Nightfall or Raid yet. It does a good job of making you feel like a badass though.

D3VI0US

I don't think they're giving advice.. its more like they are giving their opinion which is why their article is called:

Opinion: Yes, Destiny 2 Is Worth Checking Out If You Hated The First Game

The article states the reasons of why he "hates" the first game and what makes the second one so much better in his opinion. The author is basically saying if you hated the game for the same reasons he did, then most likely the second one will be a pleasant surprise.

Well I didn't read the whole article but sounds to me like they are advising people who played the first game to check out Destiny 2. I only read the quotes in the OP not the whole article and it doesn't make a strong argument for why the sequel is better. As someone who played the first game and all the expansions and finished all of Destiny 2 story mode and strike in a just weekend of playing to me it's just more of the same old forgettable shit. This is coming from a person who gave the series a second chance because I don't have anything better to play and I still don't want to play that garbage again. I used to be a huge Bungie fan when they were working on Halo but now I'm just sad.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
He mentions the expansions, but based on the improvements he mentions I'm curious if he ever actually played them himself. Because with TTK the story was finally good, the loot systems were finally satisfying, there was tons to do and the environments matched the ambitions of the story. These are all the things he cites.

His feedback wouldn't be all that noteworthy a week or so ago but now that a lot of players have exhausted the content, raided and are out of the honeymoon phase with D2, his article seems to stand in contrast to much of the feedback coming from the community about a game that has improved in some ways but takes steps back while maintaining many of the problems we've seen before.

I've been watching streamers like Gothalion and my favorite guy, Krafty since launch work their way through all the new systems and content and I watched two groups complete the raid. They love the game, but as someone who spent hundreds of hours with D1 and completed all of its expansions, I have yet to see anything that feels like a dramatic change. It feels and looks like a reboot of D1 with minor improvements, many of the same issues, along with some new ones.

GhaleonEB

Yeah, I think people should take caution that the actual gameplay of Destiny 2, outside of a couple QOL adjustments, is almost exactly the same as D1.

Yikes. Steering clear of this one.
This is an interesting exchange, because it both defines "gameplay" very narrowly, and calls a top to bottom re-architechcting of the surrounding game systems "a couple of QOL adjustments" - something readily accepted by someone not familiar with the game. It's instructive to me, because I define "game play" much more broadly.

To elaborate, I just got done playing for an hour or so tonight. Here's how it went.

I decided to finish up the Nessus Flashpoint, which rewards legendary gear for completing activities on the Nessus destination. I went there by pulling up the director and selecting a landing zone near both an incoming public event (incoming and active ones are marked on the map), and close to an adventure I wanted to clear.

I landed and went over to the event site, which started just before I got there. Three others were gathered (since they could also find them and plan where to gather), so I helped one of the other players to trigger the heroic version of the event (every public event has a heroic variant, triggered by specific, unique actions in each). That drew out a large boss in the middle of the fight which has to be killed to get the heroic level gear.

Event done, I went onto the adventure and triggered it (the activate like a patrol, by selecting a flag in the game - not from orbit). Adventures are about as long as Destiny 1 story missions were, but here they are side quests, and typically cobble together several mechanics across a few phases, mixed with some narrative exposing a bit of lore about the destination. This one started out with a kill/collect cycle similar to a patrol mission, then moved into platforming across the branches of a giant tree to gather energy nodes.

The energy nodes introduced a mechanic central to the adventure: the Vex developing a new type of shield technology. I had to collect the energy nodes which empowered me for about ten seconds after - that's the window you have to take down the shields of a nearby powerful Minotaur, who is otherwise invulnerable.

Mechanic established, we move to a large central interior, where a big set piece takes place. There's a generator in the central chamber, and the goal is to destroy it. But you can only expose it by killing the guardian Minotaurs, who drop a glowy ball when killed which is used to de-power the shield for a short time. And you can only kill the Minotaurs by collecting the energy nodes dotted around the arena and taking them down before the 10-second empowerment phase expires. You go through this cycle three times, while managing some formidable swarms of adds and quite a bit of platforming (Destiny 2's concurrent AI count is ~50 vs. D1's ~20, and many missions demonstrate it).

That small battle in a side mission has more mechanics than any single mission in Destiny.

I did this while using three classes of weapons that were not in vanilla D1 (the sword and sidearm are expansions, the SMG is new), weapons I juggled because I was working through several quests that had requirements to use them. I also made extensive use of the new clamber mechanic as I platformed around. Nessus has a lot of verticality, so it comes in handy. The combination of new weapon classes and mobility made the game flow very differently than D1.

The adventure rewarded some gear that nudged my light level up a notch, and a faction token to redeem for rep. I did so and got a new legendary scout rifle, which is fully unlocked already because you no longer have to work to unlock anything on gear. The scout was higher light than my current one, too.

I went to the local map and found another adventure to do, on the far side of Nessus. I fast traveled there because the destination is so large it takes several minutes to get across when using a sparrow. When I got there I killed a couple of "high value targets", each of whom drops a treasure chest to loot. I won't cover that adventure in detail, but it turned out to be one that was a direct prelude to the raid, with some interesting fiction and a midway fight that blew past Destiny 1's concurrent AI limit so far that I was constantly on my back heel.

I then went straight to the social space, skipping going to orbit, and got my flashpoint reward: one of the best AR's in the game and one I was told to look out for just earlier today. (It also nudge my level higher.)

That's a pretty different evening than I ever experienced in Destiny 1. If I wanted a public event I set up camp in a destination and either read GAF and wait, or go to a website to look up educated guesses for the timers they ran on. Odds are good I'd try to complete it solo because no one else knew when they would happen, either. I'd be spending a lot of time driving or running around because there's no fast travel and just one landing zone, and going to orbit and back down to start new activities. I'd run a main mission only to fight two small encounters, and then scanned a light column and worked through three add waves before someone told me they didn't have time to explain WTF was going on, while getting gear that didn't advance me, but which I had to grind to unlock its perks. That describes an actual mission in D1 BTW, as compared to over 30 or so side quests in D2 all of which feature lore and most of which have unique mechanics such as the one I described.

Now, the shooting mechanics are very similar to Destiny 1, and base movement is similar. The core gameplay is refined and tweaked but largely intact from the first game. It's the "same", but thoroughly re-contextualized by the game flow and surrounding systems and mechanics. To the point where calling D2 the same with some QOL improvements is thoroughly misleading, and telling people unfamiliar with the game that it is like that even more so. Which is why articles that actually go into a bit of why D2 plays differently might be useful to folks who didn't like the first game.

From what I've seen of the game, it really doesn't look like it's that much of an improvement either in terms or story or encounter design, so I'll pass. I have plenty of other RNG loot pinata games to play.

Kadin

I thought that the majority of players of Destiny 1, at this same amount of time into its release, were pretty happy with the game... network issues aside. I didn't think the 'hate' and complaints came until later. I say this because isn't it a bit early to start saying Destiny 2 is so much better, or is that simply for comparison's sake and not looking at it on its own?

Ennosuke

Absolutely agree.

Destiny 1 is my single biggest disappointment this generation, I loathed the non existent story, hollow campaign, the tedious and broken progression system, and basically everything about the game.

Destiny 2 is by no means perfect, but it fixes all of that and it's FUN.

I agree, I had no fun with Destiny 1 and had to force myself to finish the campaign.
Destiny 2 is really a fun game, decent campaign, fun and a godd variety of activities and amazing graphics and ost.

I thought that the majority of players of Destiny 1, at this same amount of time into its release, were pretty happy with the game... network issues aside. I didn't think the 'hate' and complaints came until later. I say this because isn't it a bit early to start saying Destiny 2 is so much better, or is that simply for comparison's sake and not looking at it on its own?

I agree with this. I was fairly satisfied Destiny when it first came out, but by the second month I was pretty much hating it.

I tried the Destiny 2 beta and it didn't hold my interest at all. I didn't even care enough to complete the story portion.Yet for some reason I'm still interested in Destiny 2 but idk. I feel like the same thing that happened the first time will happen again. I love the raids, but I'm not really that interested in the other shit.

Top Bottom