• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why I sold Destiny.

I was having an argument with some kids as to how I sold the game (after getting the white Ps4 bundle) because I wasn't interested in a game that was always online.

I was trying to tell them that there is no dedicated single player campaign, because there isn't. They're saying there is, but I'm pretty sure the single player gameplay was made to played with other players, was it not?

You also HAVE to be online to play the game. If the servers are offline, you cannot play the game at all. If there was a dedicated single player, you could resort to playing that if the online play wasn't working.

They were calling my reasoning stupid but I think they were just being stupid for not fully comprehending what I was conveying to them. It is not a game like Uncharted or Halo that have dedicated single player campaigns. It is online only. And even if you play the campaign alone, I'm pretty sure Bungie themselves said yeah you could do it, but it won't be nearly as fun as playing it with other people (hence, no dedicated single player)

It's not that I have a problem playing a game that has to be always online (but isn't that one reason why everyone hated the xbone when it was first revealed), I just don't think it is fair to charge $60 for a game that has no single player. You have to always be online and the servers may not be functional in 10 years, nor may there be many people playing the game to accompany you online.

Whereas those games with single player modes (or even just single player and nothing else, not even online), will always have single player modes, forever. This summer I felt like going on a little nostalgia trip and played Tekken 4.

Hes stupid, theyre stupid, youre stupid, shes stupid everybody is stupid.

You sold a game because it did not suit your needs. Standard.

All I can think of now is some 20 or 30 year old guy almost getting into fisty cuffs with a bunch of annoying teens over a videogame that neither side seems to have any idea about.

I can't sell mine because I bought it digitally and I wish I could. So even if you are selling it prior to giving it a chance, it isn't the wrong choice.

Valnen

So online only means a game should be inherently worth less? Not sure I agree with that reasoning. One thing that I consider more important is how many hours I'll get out of a game before I never want to play it again. A 20 hour single player campaign is not going to last you more than a few playthroughs before you never want to play it again in most cases. An online only game may last you hundreds of hours.

Semantically, a game can be single player and always online.

I remember Ubisoft implemented always online DRM in several of their PC games, like Prince of Persia.

On another note, I played Destiny to the story end by myself. It's like any MMO that allows you to play through the story without depending on other players.

Mooreberg

So online only means a game should be inherently worth less? Not sure I agree with that reasoning. One thing that I consider more important is how many hours I'll get out of a game before I never want to play it again. A 20 hour single player campaign is not going to last you more than a few playthroughs before you never want to play it again in most cases. An online only game may last you hundreds of hours.
This is sound logic, but in Destiny's case, a lot of people are coming to the conclusion that there is not enough unique content. I used to have the same viewpoint about about the hours of entertainment provided, but it ends up falling short when you don't want to continue playing a game because the people online are fucking assholes.

poopninjamvc3mk

I sucked six dicks to get this tag.
Why were you arguing with kids over Destiny?

Also, Tekken 4 is the worst in the series.

It has an amazing OST though also
I wish Harada had kept going the Tekken 4 route and refined the gameplay in later entries tbh. Even though T4 was a unbalanced pos it had some nice ideas

ISee

You sold a game because you do not like it.
What is there to argue about?
Also why do you even start argueing with kids in the first place?

To be fair, I was never that interested in Destiny because of the focus on online play although some of that disinterest was also because Bungie never satisfactorily explained what the hell the game was supposed to be anyways but whatever there was a beta I guess.

With one of them shouting Worldstar in the background as he films vertically.

lmao

It has an amazing OST though also
I wish Harada had kept going the Tekken 4 route and refined the gameplay in later entries tbh. Even though T4 was a unbalanced pos it had some nice ideas

Tekken 4 definitely had some great ideas, but it's impossible to play competitive. It is a real shame that they didn't expand on it properly, but I'm happy with Tekken 5 and further going back to 3's style.

Rurunaki

The better man would've just walked away. Reasoning with kids is like punching a wall - you're only hurting yourself.

Whoa

I'm still new to this neogaf thing. Got a lot to learn. Like, I don't get a lot of the in-house references you guys make when I'm in threads sometimes. Does a thread usually get like 25+ posts in 15 minutes?!

Anyways yes I sold a game that I didn't like but my point was that it was because of the mode of playing the game, not the gameplay itself. That's the thing to judge here, if I'm being irrational about it (or wrong about my assessment of it) or not

Jamiaro

I am very happy that I swapped my preorder-copy from Digital Guardian to retail-copy.

I played the game for two weeks, had a good time with it (although the second weeks grind began to weigh on me).

Then I was sick for three days without playing at all. After I got better, I started the game... played for half an hour. The magic had worn off. Traded the game in a week later. No regrets.

I feel like I just saw what the game truly is: Solid co-op with non-existing content. Not for me. :/

While I prefer Titanfall for fun-factor, it is actually more guilty of this than Destiny since there is truly NO WAY to play alone. Respawn should have included bots. As it stands when the online community dies, TF is literally worthless. Although I dislike Destiny as a boring monotonous grind-fest, at least its playable alone after the community fades away.

*buys online only game. complains it's online only*

Do you also rent a historical drama when you wanted watch a comedy? I mean come on. How hard is it to read one review or impression that illustrates what a game is like before you pay for it?

Some Nobody

The online thing didn't bother me...I just didn't think it had enough content to sustain long-term play. The insidious thing about Destiny is Bungie realized this didn't matter; people wired for the grind already have a high tolerance for repetition. They only needed to make the shooting mechanics solid, which they did, and then market the game right (that part's obvious).

The more I think about it the more I realize Bungie likely won't make the substantial changes they should for the sequel, because they don't need to.

Majine

Banned
Well, I don't pay 60 dollars to invest that money that far into the future as when the servers go down, or when the games community is entirely dead. The issues that certain games have today because of its online-only architecture are unfortunate however.

*buys online only game. complains it's online only*

Do you also rent a historical drama when you wanted watch a comedy? I mean come on. How hard is it to read one review or impression that illustrates what a game is like before you pay for it?

I see what you're saying, but I'm leaning towards this not really being a fair criticism since its not as if there are a lot of alternatives to Destiny which offer similar gameplay elements but do not require online. If someone wanted to experience Destiny and see if it lived up to the considerably misleading hype there was no way to experience it without buying it (or borrowing/renting it) until the Demo droped recently. Reviews are a good barometer but most die-hard Bungie/Halo fans wouldn't have believed Destiny was as mediocre and boring as it turned out if a million reviews said so. So, really, for many playing is believing. And everyone WANTED ti believe in this game based on pedigree alone.

If the demo was out day 1 then I think your point is more relevant.

Mooreberg

While I prefer Titanfall for fun-factor, it is actually more guilty of this than Destiny since there is truly NO WAY to play alone. Respawn should have included bots. As it stands when the online community dies, TF is literally worthless. Although I dislike Destiny as a boring monotonous grind-fest, at least its playable alone after the community fades away.
Titanfall is like Brink, and they were pretty clear about what the game is. My problem with Titanfall is that A. they don't actually replace players (in this case, "pilots") with bots like Brink does, despite each match being littered with AI. B. If you want to do anything other than Team Deathmatch, you enter lobby hell.

This is where the "value" of a lot of online games has taken a nose dive for me in the past five years. Everybody either just playing TDM, or treating every objective mode like TDM, shaves hundreds of hours of potential play time off the game for me. It's just so fucking boring.

Destiny would have been the game to really maneuver around this with the focus on co-op missions, strikes, patrol mode etc. but the content just isn't there.

Sold my copy too, don't miss it.
I had sensed a distinct lack of Assassio movement in the XMB leaderboards lately. Jeffgoldblumthereitis.gif

Filben

Man, I don't know about Destiny, either. I grabed it for 40 bucks (I never buy console games new, for more than 60 bucks). The gameplay is nice, visuals, too and playing with a buddy is fun. But there is so little content. I have the feeling playing on the same map over and over again. Once at daytime, once at night and once with rainy setting won't help that much. I liked the idea that you don't get fucked with tons of loot that makes you stop and comparing, makes the game(play) stop. So you keep moving and therefore playing and items feel more unique than those soon-to-be-trashed items like in Diablo or Borderlands. BUT if the gameplay doesn't offer you anything else, at least not much, and there is no thrilling story driving you towards, then looting is everything you have. That keeps me playing those other games.

Then there was this weekend I finalley get myself up to play Destiny. Guess what. Servers were down. "Okay, then I'll play something I can have fun with instead". After that weekend two weeks passed and I fired it up just once to play with a buddy. After that never played again. That's, I think, over a month ago.

I've already thought about selling it but another friend said he'll probably buy a PS4 and we could play Destiny together so I'm still waiting.

I have the feeling Bungie charges double because I find the content delivered by the fee required DLCs is the content that should be there right from the start. And there were people complaining about map diversity in BF3 back then. Destiny is far worse.

lewisgone

Well, that's the reason I returned it. Bought it in a stupid mindset when I was picking up games for my new PS4, disregarded online functionality. It turned up and I realised I didn't want to buy a disc that was unplayable in 10-15 years. Amazon were kind enough to let me return it,

Not sure it's worth getting in an argument about. Different people value different things when it comes to a games purchase. Some are all about having fun in the moment and don't care that the game is effectively being "rented" because they don't go back to old games. Some people like me value old games very highly, play them just as much as new games, and hold little value in games that will inevitably shut down and cease to exist. I'd do think it's worrying seeing the number of online only games releasing which have a questionable need to always be online. From what I've seen of The Crew, I don't see why an offline mode couldn't have been done, even if you just had AI partners or something. I haven't seen much of Destiny so can't comment here. The Division will also be always online. It feels wasteful in some ways, to make games that will some day be abandoned and worthless. EA hopefully learned their lesson from SimCity, as the Sims 4 seems to have shown.

I don't have anything against always online if the game is something like an MMO. Only when a game is always online, but an offline mode was totally feasible.

I did play FFXIV for a while recently, but I suck at MMOs and never make any friends in them or talk to anyone. Just walk around doing the fairly generic quests, and it becomes a fairly pointless exercise for me because I'm so bad at talking to new people in games. I understand for a lot of people though community is very important, and it's great that there are so many games that can deliver that focus.

Gears

I traded it for advanced warfare. Pretty good trade. I know its not really a reply to your ot, but if you haven't tried the new wolfenstien, jump on it. Single player goodness.

Top Bottom