• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why I sold Destiny.

Better get off GAF then.

Also, I can't wait for OP's "why I rebought Destiny" thread.

iceburn.gif

Not really a fan of Destiny because I bought into the hype and was sorely disappointed. At least I got a white PS4 to match my Xbox, I guess.

Didn't sell it, though. I might get the urge to jump in one day.

Why I sold Destiny? I had my fill, the loot sucked and the story was garbage. Traded it in for Mordor, which I traded in for DAI. Come at me.

You didn't like the game, you have the right to sell/return it, no need to argue with kids.

As for your reasoning in that believing $60 pricetag shouldn't be on games with no single-player and must require an Internet connection, well, that's subjective on your part.

You didn't like the game, you have the right to sell/return it, no need to argue with kids.

As for your reasoning in that believing $60 pricetag shouldn't be on games with no single-player and must require an Internet connection, well, that's subjective on your part.

10 years from now, the servers for Destiny may not still be up, and there may not be anyone playing it. So 10 years into the future, the $60 investment is moot.

However, those $60 games with single player modes, will always have single player modes, forever.

And for the record, I did not return Destiny, or buy it on its own and sell it. Like I said in the OP, I got the Destiny bundle (I played the beta over the summer and liked it, I just didn't like the idea of an online only game) and just sold the game.

THEaaron

Considering the ridiculous amount of "offline" games coming out all the time, I doubt this.

The online portion will grow bigger and bigger. The amount of big online games is insane in this generation and still increasing.

Think the next generation will have at least half/half online/offline title.

Games as a Service will be the big thing in the future. On software level, many big products are switching to a service model like Office and Photoshop.

Maybe it will last longer, but what MS tried with the Xbox One at first will be repeated. And with enough gamers from a younger generation and a broader acceptance through services like EA Access and Playstation Now that portion of the market will just take a bigger piece of the cake.

Not quite happy with that myself, but the investments and technology acquisitions from the big players are insane and won't be for nothing.

Ominym

Banned
I'm really glad that when I experience minor disagreements my first thought is to forget about it and not, "GOTTA GO TELL GAF."

Whoa

I'm still new to this neogaf thing. Got a lot to learn. Like, I don't get a lot of the in-house references you guys make when I'm in threads sometimes. Does a thread usually get like 25+ posts in 15 minutes?!

Anyways yes I sold a game that I didn't like but my point was that it was because of the mode of playing the game, not the gameplay itself. That's the thing to judge here, if I'm being irrational about it (or wrong about my assessment of it) or not

If you are a full member then you aren't that new, took me a year from signing up to not be a junior haha.

Also, you shouldn't argue with children, it's a fruitless endeavour.

If you are a full member then you aren't that new, took me a year from signing up to not be a junior haha.

Also, you shouldn't argue with children, it's a fruitless endeavour.
Na I got full member quickly. But I still don't know the ups and downs and tidbits about neogaf. When I say "kids" I just mean people 2-3 years younger than me. I'm in my mid 20s but I think they just could not comprehend fully what I was trying to explain to them, or they vehemently couldn't accept the criticism I was trying to make about that game.
The online portion will grow bigger and bigger. The amount of big online games is insane in this generation and still increasing.

Think the next generation will have at least half/half online/offline title.

Games as a Service will be the big thing in the future. On software level, many big products are switching to a service model like Office and Photoshop.

Maybe it will last longer, but what MS tried with the Xbox One at first will be repeated. And with enough gamers from a younger generation and a broader acceptance through services like EA Access and Playstation Now that portion of the market will just take a bigger piece of the cake.

Not quite happy with that myself, but the investments and technology acquisitions from the big players are insane and won't be for nothing.
like I said, as long as devs like Naughty Dog will be around, so will single player moded games.
I thought you can't resell the copy with the bundle!

Sold it on ebay. Not back to retail.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I don't really agree with you, but the beauty is that I don't have to, and you can go on with your life.

GRaider81

Unfortunately I was taken in by the hype and bought the digital guardians version so I can't sell it.

I had a ceremonial deleting of it though.

BokehKing

Banned
I have never seen one game get so many hate threads, yet it has a very strong community.

I'm surprised mods have not made one "I hate destiny, the ot" where all these threads get dumped, it would probably grow faster than destiny OT 12

oni-link

Well, that's the reason I returned it. Bought it in a stupid mindset when I was picking up games for my new PS4, disregarded online functionality. It turned up and I realised I didn't want to buy a disc that was unplayable in 10-15 years

I understand this reasoning but it's why i got the game at launch, it was going to be a game i wanted to experience when everyone else was for the first time, and after 90 hours or so i think i'm done with it

I generally really worry about preserving games, as a lot of games from 2006 onwards have patches that are essentially on Sony and MS servers that won't always be live, and if your PS3/360 dies and you can't redownload that essential patch for another game, then that disc is unplayable as well

Also most people don't go back and play older games all that much, and its looking more and more likely that when they do it will be because a game has been rereleased or remastered anyway

lmao kudos OP

Out of all the reasons gaf has been complaining about the game, you picked the most random one I agree with most.

Long live SP!

FYI, I bought Desinty at $40 and am loving it. I definitely got my values worth playing with friends and all.

Gave the expansion a try... for a day. Beat the raid, I'm ready to sell it. I realize the potential of the game will never be realized. Maybe if a second Destiny comes out some day, but even then I wont buy it at release.

I agree and understand your reasoning all the way up to the part about multiplayer games not being worth $60. I believe the contrary. Atleast multi lasts.

kiguel182

10 years from now, the servers for Destiny may not still be up, and there may not be anyone playing it. So 10 years into the future, the $60 investment is moot.

However, those $60 games with single player modes, will always have single player modes, forever.

And for the record, I did not return Destiny, or buy it on its own and sell it. Like I said in the OP, I got the Destiny bundle (I played the beta over the summer and liked it, I just didn't like the idea of an online only game) and just sold the game.

You are not investing 60 bucks.

You are spending money to be entertained for a while. The game works almost 100 per cent of the time now.

Who cares if I won't be able to play it in 10 years. There will be other stuff to play then.

grimmiq

WIsh I hadn't bought the Limited Edition and redeemed the season pass while it installed..I'll pick it up again if/when I see it under $20.

jesu

I mostly only played Destiny single player and I enjoyed it for 15-20 hours.
Don't why OP didn't think it was decent in single player.
He should have sold it after he played it.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Im glad I never bought the game. Games doesn`t have to be good these days. Just hype and review embargo will do the trick.

Q

qizah

Unconfirmed Member
After my co-workers kept telling me to get Destiny I finally caved, despite knowing I'd probably hate it.

I sold it shortly after. It's a bad game, and it's incredibly boring.

spacebeers

Neo Member
The online only thing didn't bother me until I tried to pick it up again after a few weeks off. Turns out it was the same day the first DLC was released and the servers were a mess. It's back in it's box now as I started AC: Unity instead.

Sold my copy too, don't miss it.

I can't sell mine because I bought it digitally and I wish I could. So even if you are selling it prior to giving it a chance, it isn't the wrong choice.

Weren't you two some of the most active members in the OTs? I put nearly 200 in and I can't be bothered to play it anymore. When the new expansion came out I loaded it up once and completed the last level of the Crota mission with my brother. After hearing about trading in my weapons to Xur and what not I was just done. I feel all the grind I did in the initial 3 months was for not now that the new system is out. If you never played the game it may be a good time to jump in if you feel supporting Bungie's (most likely Activision's) business model. I wish I could sell mine and get my money back for prebuying the expansions. Let that be a lesson to me to not buy things before they come out.

McLovin

I told a friend I stopped playing Destiny because you have to spen most of your time grinding doing the same stuff over and over. He disagreed, as he was farming for helium.

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member
I stopped playing Destiny when they closed the loot cave. I honestly had more fun there dancing with randos and playing the engram lottery than I did with any other part of the game...

Edit:
There is a "single player campaign", you can beat it in 10-12 hours and it's pretty damn good.

Destiny Singleplayer:

1) Dinklebot - "Come on Guardian, we have to find X!"
2) Dinklebot - "It looks like some kind of ancient lock. Hold off the enemies while I try to decrypt it"
3) Dinklebot - "Oh boy! I tripped some sort of alarm. Hold off the enemies while I finish decrypting the lock!"
4) Dinklebot - "Come on Guardian, we have to find Y!"

Rinse and repeat for 10-12 hours.

Selling a game because you THINK the servers won't be online in 10 years time isn't really a good reason to sell a game you may enjoy for the next 10 years.

Top Bottom