• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why I sold Destiny.

-Ryn

Banned
Those kids are dumb.
Though arguing with kids is likely not gonna go anywhere. Getting back to the subject at hand however:

Online only rarely has any good reason to exist with the exceptions being MMOs like WoW. In those cases the game is completely designed around its multiplayer on a massive scale. It is a terrible design choice that I truly hope doesn't become the norm. Destiny has no good reason to be online only. The in world cap isn't in any way large nor are the worlds you inhabit something the console couldn't handle on its own. It is completely possible to play on your own so the fact that you need to be online always is arbitrary.

Another thing; charging $60 for an online only game, especially in the cases where a subscription is involved, is a major rip off. There's no way you can justify that.

westman

It's not that I have a problem playing a game that has to be always online (but isn't that one reason why everyone hated the xbone when it was first revealed), I just don't think it is fair to charge $60 for a game that has no single player. You have to always be online and the servers may not be functional in 10 years, nor may there be many people playing the game to accompany you online.

I would never pay $60 for Destiny's single-player experience either, but I was happy to pay $12 (including shipping and fees) for buying it new, playing it as much as I wanted, and then selling it after a few weeks (using the local eBay equivalent for both buying and selling). Since you already had the game, and sold it anyway, your overhead cost and effort would have been even less. For $12, I think Destiny was good value even though I mostly played it as a single-player game.

You buy games worrying about if you can play them in 10 years? And you're treating £50 like a huge amount of money.

But really, well done OP, such an interesting topic and a great discussion starter, I'd not heard about this Destiny game before.

Some people do it seems.

I mean I know that not everyone has the money to just throw around but when you get people buying a console day 1 then a year later and the holiday deals are out they say “God, I wish I had waited and got myself this deal, I regret getting it day 1” I just think ‘would you really wait a year just to save £100-£150? Surely the amount of time you put into the console in that year covers that money.

-Ryn

Banned
Some people do it seems.

I mean I know that not everyone has the money to just throw around but when you get people buying a console day 1 then a year later and the holiday deals are out they say “God, I wish I had waited and got myself this deal, I regret getting it day 1” I just think ‘would you really wait a year just to save £100-£150? Surely the amount of time you put into the console in that year covers that money.
It's not just about money.

It's also about for lack of a better word at the moment... history. There are still games that I played over a decade ago that I like to pull out on occasion and relive. If the game is online only though and the servers go down, I can't relive that. There's no way to go back and experience the game and how great it was. It's just dead and for what reason? I certainly can't think of a good reason for Destiny to be online only.

oni-link

It's not just about money.

It's also about for lack of a better word at the moment... history. There are still games that I played over a decade ago that I like to pull out on occasion and relive. If the game is online only though and the servers go down, I can't relive that. There's no way to go back and experience the game and how great it was. It's just dead and for what reason? I certainly can't think of a good reason for Destiny to be online only.

If you could go back and play Destiny in 10 years time, alone, with no one else, no PVP no Strikes, no Raid, no other players on patrols, then it wouldn't be worth replaying

That's ignoring the fact they have planned for the game to be a 10 year project, and considering how little content the first game has, I'm sure they'll be bringing it along for Destiny 2 as well

Coconut

Banned
"I was having an argument with some kids as to how I sold the game"

Were you just walking around picking fights with kids?

-Ryn

Banned
If you could go back and play Destiny in 10 years time, alone, with no one else, no PVP no Strikes, no Raid, no other players on patrols, then it wouldn't be worth replaying

That's ignoring the fact they have planned for the game to be a 10 year project, and considering how little content the first game has, I'm sure they'll be bringing it along for Destiny 2 as well
Destiny is a shadow of what it was supposed to be. It's lack of content is a testament to this.

That aside, just because a game sucks doesn't mean I wouldn't or shouldn't be able to play it in the future. It's a good way to remind yourself of what went wrong and what not to do. Ultimately I would still play the game. Sort of. As in I would go back and explore while maybe replaying my favorite missions.

One of the biggest problems with the game is that it relies on the players to make the experience fun as opposed to just being fun. That's a whole other issue though.

hydruxo

It was pitched as always online from the very beginning, not sure what you expected. I've played around 300 hours of Destiny and it's already pretty bland with other players in the patrols and tower. Without any players at all it'd be a ghost town. It's going to be even more common to have online only games this gen so best avoid them if you want games with SP campaigns that don't require you to be connected to the internet.

I remember having similar discussion with my cashier at a games store. Like OP I got a free copy with My Xb1.

I remember telling him I intended to take it around the corner to sell it and he spend a good 10 mins trying to convince me that id be missing out on the game of year (before anyone asks, we are on friendly terms and the shop was quite empty).

Alot of his responces were basically copy paste from what ive read in XB1 threads pre 180

"But if you are always online anyway what does it matter"
"Bungie needs the game to be online to create a connected experience"
"People generally play single player for a weekend, then never touch it again"

and the best one

"By concentrating on online connected modes, the developer can create far more content and craft a better experience than a typical multiplayer mode"

Time and time again, this last point has been proven to be bullshit.

Diablo 3
Sim city
Titanfall
Destiny
The Crew

Every single one of these games claimed in the lead up to their release that the game would be somehow enhanced by being an online only title and every single one has be shown that it was absolute bullshit.

Always online serves one purpose :- giving publishers more control over the game. Whether its to serve as anti-piracy DRM, to make it easier to sell microtransactions, or to drive greater player addiction, The benefits of an online-only title are rarely felt by its player base.

Infact, with most of these games, the only benefit to buying an online online title is that it exists so you can play it, assuming it may not of been greenlit (or in titanfalls case, completed) if it wasn't online only.

For that reason I cannot and will not spend my money on a online only title. Ill try a F2p one, but i still have no intention of spending a red cent on it, not matter if I like it or not.

Hugstable

Banned
Is Destiny really that bad? I just bought a PS4 for my brother for Christmas and trying to figure out a coop game we could play together and he always sounded interested about Destiny, and I enjoyed what I played during the beta. I just became dissappointed when I heard the the portion of Earth with saw in the beta, was literally the entirety of the planet in the actual game.

Makki

You shouldn't have argued with kids, unless you are a kid, then it makes more sense. Single player online only can exist though to their defense.

Na I got full member quickly. But I still don't know the ups and downs and tidbits about neogaf. When I say "kids" I just mean people 2-3 years younger than me. I'm in my mid 20s but I think they just could not comprehend fully what I was trying to explain to them, or they vehemently couldn't accept the criticism I was trying to make about that game.

like I said, as long as devs like Naughty Dog will be around, so will single player moded games.

Sold it on ebay. Not back to retail.

Holy shit, I'm laughing so hard my throat hurts.

I thought the situation was like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FytN0o1V-gQ

Now the whole situation changed into something much more ridiculous.

Aces&Eights

I sold crack to pay for weed.

but can you smoke it offline?

OP, I think the reason you are getting some "well, la dee das" from people is due to the fact the "Destiny: Worth It Or Shit On It?" threads have been done to death. Aside from that one guy marooned on a small island in the South Pacific, every single person on the planet has already formed their opinion on the game.

but can you smoke it offline?

OP, I think the reason you are getting some "well, la dee das" from people is due to the fact the "Destiny: Worth It Or Shit On It?" threads have been done to death. Aside from that one guy marooned on a small island in the South Pacific, every single person on the planet has already formed their opinion on the game.

Agreed. On that note, I'm going to boot up Destiny.

Head.spawn

I can think of plenty of reasons to sell Destiny, or to just not buy it at all.. But your reasoning is probably the worst thrown together argument I've ever seen.

"No dedicated single player"
What? Granted it's awful, repetitive and lacks a decent story, but it does have a campaign to play through.

"But it's not a dedicated single player"
Because it can be played co-op? If that's the argument, than no Halo game has had a "dedicated" single player campaign either, since they are "better when played with other people".

"Online only..."
If you have horrible internet connectivity performance problems, this is a solid reason I guess. Is that the case?

I'm not even a fan of the game at all, but maybe those kids won this argument.

VASPER

Banned
Hes stupid, theyre stupid, youre stupid, shes stupid everybody is stupid.

You sold a game because it did not suit your needs. Standard.

Whoa level headed GAF I was not sure people like you existed.

I loved the game while I played It, mostly MP tho after maybe 20 hrs of SP.

Jesus, GAF... what a sad response. Yeah, we get it, he argued with some kids. No need to fucking spam it in every post.

He brought up a great point here that these little shits are growing up with online only and don't understand what has made gaming great all along: the single player, story-driven, gameplay-rich immersive adventures.

They're going away because of this trend of online gaming, popularised by Microsoft and their fine Xbox Live and its classy denizens. Thanks, Microsoft!

Sirim

Jesus, GAF... what a sad response. Yeah, we get it, he argued with some kids. No need to fucking spam it in every post.

He brought up a great point here that these little shits are growing up with online only and don't understand what has made gaming great all along: the single player, story-driven, gameplay-rich immersive adventures.

They're going away because of this trend of online gaming, popularised by Microsoft and their fine Xbox Live and its classy denizens. Thanks, Microsoft!
OP is in mid twenties and little shits were 2-3 years younger.

oni-link

Destiny is a shadow of what it was supposed to be. It's lack of content is a testament to this.

That aside, just because a game sucks doesn't mean I wouldn't or shouldn't be able to play it in the future. It's a good way to remind yourself of what went wrong and what not to do. Ultimately I would still play the game. Sort of. As in I would go back and explore while maybe replaying my favorite missions.

One of the biggest problems with the game is that it relies on the players to make the experience fun as opposed to just being fun. That's a whole other issue though.

Yeah i'm not opposed to this, even if they just let you do the story missions, and gave you MP bots, same with Titanfall

But they won't do that because they don't want you to see the game as a product, they want you to see it as a brand, or a service, something you subscribe to

They don't want anyone playing Destiny or Titanfall when the sequels come out, at that point the original games are disposable, a means to an end, and they'll gut them anyway and bring all the parts people liked to the next game

I kinda agree with the "kid" though.

As someone that played pretty much all of the story content solo on my first playtrough, I can confidently say, asides from the Raids and Strikes (and even then, you can probably solo some of them), the game can be played as a single player game without too much of a problem. I played most of the game Solo, and I still do most of the stuff solo. I'm always like this in coop games. I want to experience the game by myself first, to learn the ropes and to be self-sufficient, THEN I can play the game with randoms or friends. There's nothing I hate more than people that leech XP, that do not carry their weight, that barely have any knowledge of a stage or boss because they always played it coop and have no idea of everything that has to be accomplished to succeed.

The fact that there's the Warlock class that can self-rez is also extremely well tailored to playing solo, allowing you to die in Darkness zones and get a second chance.

We all scream about always online, but I mean, this is the norm nowadays and you're not forced to play people most of the time.

I guess the point I'm trying to make is that I think the Kid was kinda right in claiming your reasoning was bad. And no, the campaign is not "less" fun when you play it solo. It's about as dull as it is in coop... Joking asides, it's probably actually more interesting since you gotta be really careful and really learn to survive on your own, and you do have to kill three times as many enemies on your own...

I still think selling the game was probably a good thing though. A 14 hours campaign with hundred hours of repetitive grind is rather meh in my book.

Thank you. Although they're relatively close to my age. I shouldn't have written "kids" in the OP. The biggest analogy I should've brought up
OP is in mid twenties and little shits were 2-3 years younger.
I still think the rest of my point stand. They didn't fully understand what I was telling them.

If you don't like it, you don't. I was in the beta and thank god I got to play it because I didn't see the hype behind it. Saved me $60.

Artex

Banned
I sold it because in the 1 week I owned it I died maybe 3 times. The game felt like a job; it wasn't a challenge and it was only sort of fun. After having played a crap ton of TLOU multiplayer in the weeks prior it just made the fact that the PvP was not fun just that much more in my face. It wasn't my cup of tea, indeed.

Sirim

I still think the rest of my point stand. They didn't fully understand what I was telling them.
Yeah, my only point to the poster I quoted was that this isn't a case of ignorant kids who grew up without experiencing more single-player oriented generations. Given their age range, they almost definitely did. Unless they just started gaming in gen 7.

Which I guess is certainly possible, though I find it unlikely.

Yeah, my only point to the poster I quoted was that this isn't a case of ignorant kids who grew up without experiencing more single-player oriented generations. Given their age range, they almost definitely did. Unless they just started gaming in gen 7.

Which I guess is certainly possible, though I find it unlikely.

I'm sure they've had enough experience as gamers, but they just didn't understand what I was saying. Bungie themselves said the game wouldn't be as fun if you played it alone, because it was made to be played with other people.

The analogy I should've used to explain it to them was TLOU. A game with a dedicated single player campaign, completely separate from its multiplayer. Now, if TLOU's campaign had an online coop mode where one person plays as Ellie and the other as Joel, that's kind of a different story. In fact, that would put Destiny in line with TLOU, yeah?

Chris1

I remember having similar discussion with my cashier at a games store. Like OP I got a free copy with My Xb1.

I remember telling him I intended to take it around the corner to sell it and he spend a good 10 mins trying to convince me that id be missing out on the game of year (before anyone asks, we are on friendly terms and the shop was quite empty).

Alot of his responces were basically copy paste from what ive read in XB1 threads pre 180

"But if you are always online anyway what does it matter"
"Bungie needs the game to be online to create a connected experience"
"People generally play single player for a weekend, then never touch it again"

and the best one

"By concentrating on online connected modes, the developer can create far more content and craft a better experience than a typical multiplayer mode"

Time and time again, this last point has been proven to be bullshit.

Diablo 3
Sim city
Titanfall
Destiny
The Crew

Every single one of these games claimed in the lead up to their release that the game would be somehow enhanced by being an online only title and every single one has be shown that it was absolute bullshit.

Always online serves one purpose :- giving publishers more control over the game. Whether its to serve as anti-piracy DRM, to make it easier to sell microtransactions, or to drive greater player addiction, The benefits of an online-only title are rarely felt by its player base.

Infact, with most of these games, the only benefit to buying an online online title is that it exists so you can play it, assuming it may not of been greenlit (or in titanfalls case, completed) if it wasn't online only.

For that reason I cannot and will not spend my money on a online only title. Ill try a F2p one, but i still have no intention of spending a red cent on it, not matter if I like it or not.
Why lump Titanfall among there? The game NEEDS to be online only, because it's a multiplayer focused game. I guess they could have added local coop, but very few games have that nowadays. The game has no single player (if you count the campaign, respawn even said before launch that it was tied into multiplayer games... so bringing that up is silly). I think they said they focused on Multiplayer because it has more longevity and they didn't have many resources, which I can understand as they were a small team that were already having problems developing the game due to lawsuits, hell they even needed MS to step in with cash to keep them developing the game since EA wouldn't fund it any more. Sure they could have delayed the game a year+ and stuck a single player in it but I don't think it would have been worth it, it's not like they flat out lied about it like Sim city, for example.

The rest I get, but Titanfall is the odd one there.

Top Bottom