• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 Social-Link/Confidant discussion |OT| Laughing Banana is Makoto's husbando

Zafir

About Hawaii:

Maybe the answer you choose the day before in the conversation about the type of girl you like affects the ones that send you a message?

I had both Makoto and Hifumi links on level 6 and after choosing the "Smart Girl" option I only got a message from Hifumi the next day.

Which is weird because I thought the "Smart Girl" option was refering to Makoto

That's really bizarre considering my first playthrough, I said smart girl, I got Makoto and Ryuji as my options. Makoto was only at rank 5 because of the silly level 5 charm requirement. Hifumi was at rank 2 or 3 or something at that point.

I don't think what you say the night before changes much, to be honest.

I think you have to be in a relationship to get Ann and Kawakami regardless. Especially with how the scenes play out.

About Hawaii:

Maybe the answer you choose the day before in the conversation about the type of girl you like affects the ones that send you a message?

I had both Makoto and Hifumi links on level 6 and after choosing the "Smart Girl" option I only got a message from Hifumi the next day.

I chose the smart girl option as well and got messages from both Makoto and Hifumi (both were at rank 5).

I chose "smart girl" and, again, got no one. Now I'm wondering what the hell I did wrong to be so shunned.

Ultimadrago

Regarding maxing out all links:

Does the player have to make use of that hidden stat using the arcana to max everyone out or is that just to make it go faster?

Hm, I don't know if it's required actually, but I certainly made use of it the whole game through. Perhaps gifts can offset it?

Ultimadrago

Thanks. Guess I'll do my best to make sure I have the right persona with me and also try giving gifts

If you cover yourself on matching arcana, you shouldn't need to give gifts. I didn't with plenty of free time by the end for the first playthrough. I think you'll be alright with just the right Persona, which yes, is annoying as it sounds earlier on. I hated all of those filled slots.

vypek

If you cover yourself on matching arcana, you shouldn't need to give gifts. I didn't with plenty of free time by the end for the first playthrough. I think you'll be alright with just the right Persona, which yes, is annoying as it sounds earlier on. I hated all of those filled slots.

Okay. I'm early on and what I'm worried about is having full slots and needing to go to the velvet room to buy a persona of a different arcana and eventually just not having enough money for anything.

Ultimadrago

Okay. I'm early on and what I'm worried about is having full slots and needing to go to the velvet room to buy a persona of a different arcana and eventually just not having enough money for anything.

The level of the Persona doesn't matter for matching, so you can manage the space as you'd like and delete/purchase the cheapest needed of a given Arcana for the job. It'd maybe be a few thousand assuming you have one of the lower ones. If you really are chopped for space for capturing new Persona or another Confidant, just delete your cheapest/weakest option and buy them back later.

Make sure to Register them beforehand though, if they mean anything to you because once you get rid of the original, the Compendium is all you have left to get that one back.

Griss

About Hawaii:

I picked 'Hot girls' because I don't like to lie and was striking back at Ann's ludicrously bad logic. I got only Hifume (and Ryuji of course) the next day.

vypek

The level of the Persona doesn't matter for matching, so you can manage the space as you'd like and delete/purchase the cheapest needed of a given Arcana for the job. It'd maybe be a few thousand assuming you have one of the lower ones. If you really are chopped for space for capturing new Persona or another Confidant, just delete your cheapest/weakest option and buy them back later.

Make sure to Register them beforehand though, if they mean anything to you because once you get rid of the original, the Compendium is all you have left to get that one back.

Thanks for the tips. :) Persona don't register automatically? I thought they did

Seems like this is more manageable than I thought

Ultimadrago

Thanks for the tips. :) Persona don't register automatically? I thought they did

Seems like this is more manageable than I thought

They do when you first obtain them (like capturing and fusing). However, let's say you caught a Pikachu that only has Agility.

Later on, you leveled him up to have Thunderbolt as well, but want to delete him now temporarily. If you delete him without Re-Registering, you will only have Pikachu with Agility in your Compendium to re-summon. All changes to Persona have to be registered, so if you rely on a certain one for battle, want to keep moves added after the initial encounter, or just want their "Experience" saved, you need to update it. That's all~

vypek

They do when you first obtain them (like capturing and fusing). However, let's say you caught a Pikachu that only has Agility.

Later on, you leveled him up to have Thunderbolt as well, but want to delete him now temporarily. If you delete him without Re-Registering, you will only have Pikachu with Agility in your Compendium to re-summon. All changes to Persona have to be registered, so if you rely on a certain one for battle, want to keep moves added after the initial encounter, or just want their "Experience" saved, you need to update it. That's all~

Ooooh. Okay. That makes a lot of sense. :) Thank you again

hqdefault.jpg

....I still have time to decide.
She's a female Kamen Rider who likes Yakuza movies. Of course I'm gonna pick her.

About Hawaii:

I picked "Smart Girl" and got messages from Makoto, Hifumi, and Ryuji. I know Ryuji asked me some weird question about boobs in Hawaii too. Maybe it's a combination of that + Ann's question + Social Links.

mollipen

About Hawaii:

It doesn't seem to, at least in some situations. I was in a position where Makoto contacted me but not Ann, yet I was higher with Ann at the time. I went back and picked the option for Ann in that question instead of Makoto, and nothing changed.

12/24 and 25

FUCK YOU JOKER! HOW COULD YOU HIDE THIS FROM FUTABA! SHE FUCKING WAS SO DEJECTED WHEN SHE WENT HOME! AND NOW SHES HUNCHED OVER THE BAR CRYING

For Hawaii

I picked the Hot Girls option, got messaged by Hifumi, Makoto, and Ann the next day. I was rank 5 with Makoto and Hifumi, rank 9 or 10 with Ann

StereoVsn

Ok, here are some comments and thoughts on characters after finishing 3rd palace. Surprisingly I actually dislike the majority of them unlike P3 and P4/P4G. They are just not a bunch of likable people. Hopefully they change for the better.

I am in the beginning of July and this is completely opposite of characters in P4G especially or with P3P FMC. P3 FES was still ahead of P5.

The only ones I liked so far are the politician (rank 5) and the doctor (rank 7). Both are interesting characters with major issues in the background.

Teacher is mildly likable. I have her at Rank 4 and I can see potential issues driving her behavior. Not a great character but hopefully she will get better.
Sojiro - He is alright but there was a weird event where he hit on Ann by asking if she has a boyfriend. It's either a localization issue or maybe he was asking for the MC, not sure, just came off sounding wrong. Have him at Rank 3.
Reporter - seems alright, but haven't interacted with her much.

Riuji - Loudmouth, gets the party into problems, doesn't think. I have him at Rank 6 and admittedly he is better in the social link vs the storyline.
Ann - not a great character. She is a complete airhead in her s.link and storyline (s.link up to rank 7) and just doesn't seem likable.
Yosuke - weird, annoying. I only have his s.link to rank 2 though.
Cat - no redeeming qualities as far as talking to him goes. Understandably insecure but greatly annoying.

Sae - I think localization completely kills this confidant. It's terrible, the setup is annoying and overall it's just meh.
Mishimo - he is asking for a punch to the face. He is a horrible person all around.
Makoto - see Mishimo. I haven't really interacted with her much but she seems conniving and somebody they should have dealt with by grabbing her phone and wiping the data or just denying everything vs answering her whims.
High School Detective - too smug for his own good. Also asking for a punch/slap/pick your action.
I am really hopeful that everyone's social links will improve, but man, I am surprised by this unlikable bunch of people. It could be on purpose or it could be an issue of localization or I am just being grumpy (take a pick). I do like that you are forced to interact with these rejects because of what happened to you, and the game/story is proceeding with quite a pizzazz so I guess I will see what happens.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
That's really bizarre considering my first playthrough, I said smart girl, I got Makoto and Ryuji as my options. Makoto was only at rank 5 because of the silly level 5 charm requirement. Hifumi was at rank 2 or 3 or something at that point.

I don't think what you say the night before changes much, to be honest.

I think you have to be in a relationship to get Ann and Kawakami regardless. Especially with how the scenes play out.

If you romanced Ann at that point, does the hotel room scene change?

Because if does not, then it would be incredibly jarring.

Jintor

You finished palace 3 and still dislike Makoto? No hope for you, go directly to jail, do not pass go, do not collect 200 yens

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Ann telling the guys they have no game when she was already rank 10 and romanced at that point. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

Don't lump him in with Mishima.

So even if you have her at a romanced 9 or 10, she would still ask what kind of girl do you like regardless during the hotel room scene?

Saprol

So even if you have her at a romanced 9 or 10, she would still ask what kind of girl do you like regardless during the hotel room scene?
Is that the thing about the
hot / smart girls? I received that prompt. Answered smart wait I remember now I dodged the question and said I didn't have a type because I was gonna date everyone. My options were Ryuji, Ann, and Makoto. Don't think Kawakami or Hifumi were ranked very much in comparison.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
S-Links in a nutshell.

Is that the thing about the
hot / smart girls? I received that prompt. Answered smart wait I remember now I dodged the question and said I didn't have a type because I was gonna date everyone. My options were Ryuji, Ann, and Makoto. Don't think Kawakami or Hifumi were ranked very much in comparison.

Well then, if at some point I decide to romance Ann then I suppose the prudent thing to do is not upgrade her Confidant to 9 before the trip.

Otherwise it's just wayyy too immersion breaking. That's just so lazy from ATLUS since the only check you need is whether the player is in a romance with Ann or not to make changes accordingly.

DNAbro

Start dating Ann
Ann invites me to the movies
"your such a good friend"

Atlus really needs to work on that "acknowledge you're dating" thing

StereoVsn

You finished palace 3 and still dislike Makoto? No hope for you, go directly to jail, do not pass go, do not collect 200 yens

I need the yens for the maid!

Makoto is just not a great character at least as far as I can tell so far. I shall see what her social links do afterwards I guess.

Jintor

I need the yens for the maid!

Makoto is just not a great character at least as far as I can tell so far. I shall see what her social links do afterwards I guess.

Ehhhh I love mako and even I don't think her social link is that amazing.

It's really about her in the main story and with the rest of the gang. (And her date stuff)

Zafir

If you romanced Ann at that point, does the hotel room scene change?

Because if does not, then it would be incredibly jarring.

Nope, not at all.

The scene in the reception changes if you go out with Ryuji to the beach,
Ann says she saw you guys at the beach and that you looked sad.
That's about it...

Brakke

Banned
Yeah I very much enjoy this game but the extent to which it feels like PS2-ass Persona 4 is disheartening. They really need to step their game up mechanically. Slink system total overhaul pls.

Well then, if at some point I decide to romance Ann then I suppose the prudent thing to do is not upgrade her Confidant to 9 before the trip.

Otherwise it's just wayyy too immersion breaking. That's just so lazy from ATLUS since the only check you need is whether the player is in a romance with Ann or not to make changes accordingly.

Immersion? You're talking about the game on a message board. Hasn't that ship sailed?

mollipen

Ok, here are some comments and thoughts on characters after finishing 3rd palace.

Makoto
- see Mishimo. I haven't really interacted with her much but she seems conniving and somebody they should have dealt with by grabbing her phone and wiping the data or just denying everything vs answering her whims.

giphy.gif

StereoVsn

Think about it. Because of her stupid college recommendation, instead of going to say her sister or police, she got MC involved in the whole thing, fully knowing that MC was on probation. She also ignored all the issues with Kamashida and the team. Finally she got MC and team into direct confrontation with basically Yakuza.

Yeah, yeah, she had a whole change of heart. However, unlike the other team members, even Yosuke, she was one kind of an unlikable person and changed into merely different kind. I am not certain where the love for this character is coming from. Although that's opinions and all.

Also, so far from MC's romance perspective, he is going solo.
Ann, Makoto are meh. There is no way after knowing them, MC wouldn't have trust issues there (and after his own experience that got him a criminal record). Teacher and Shady Doctor would be crazy to go for since he is on probation and it's probably illegal on their side as well. Futaba is just not a romance option. Fortune Teller - yeah, no way. Maybe Haru or the Shogi player later on but so far it's all a miss

LotusHD

Banned
I have never once found Makoto to be unlikable, it's pretty hard not to feel sympathetic towards her, even with her
spying on me and being briefly antagonistic. Hell,
even when she finally finds out, she's pretty chill about it all things considered, as opposed to the normal response which is to call the cops on my ass.

But then again, it's a lot harder to dislike someone when they're clearly going to join your team.

StereoVsn

I have never once found Makoto to be unlikable, it's pretty hard not to feel sympathetic towards her, even with her
spying on me and being briefly antagonistic. Hell,
even when she finally finds out, she's pretty chill about it all things considered, as opposed to the normal response which is to call the cops on my ass.

But then again, it's a lot harder to dislike someone when they're clearly going to join your team.

I don't see why MC can't dislike somebody
even if they join the team. That absolutely happened in P3. As far as the cops go, what evidence, the cell phone recording? Can you imagine getting that to stand up as evidence... of what exactly?

Astral

Makoto is a badass before she even gets her Persona. The way she tries you early in the game is so intimidating and attractive.

Also, Queen is an awesome code name. It's my favorite so far (I'm at the 4th dungeon). Lamest is Fox. Like, really? Should've gone with Kitsune.

LotusHD

Banned
I don't see why MC can't dislike somebody
even if they join the team. That absolutely happened in P3. As far as the cops go, what evidence, the cell phone recording? Can you imagine getting that to stand up as evidence... of what exactly?

Thought it was obvious, but I'm talking about myself... You do you lol

As for
the cops, sure it wouldn't hold up, but my main point if it were some average student, things would've been a lot more annoying to deal with. Whereas she at least gave me an opportunity to prove we're not bad people.

StereoVsn

Thought it was obvious, but I'm talking about myself... You do you lol

As for
the cops, sure it wouldn't hold up, but my main point if it were some average student, things would've been a lot more annoying to deal with. Whereas she at least gave me an opportunity to prove we're not bad people.

The whole exchange pissed me off to no end. MC and Co. shouldn't have bothered to prove anything and rather stone-walled her and denied, denied, denied. Better yet, grab the phone, erase the evidence (and cloud storage :p) and then deny :p.

How is blackmailing MC and crew into doing dangerous work a good thing?

LotusHD

Banned
The whole exchange pissed me off to no end. MC and Co. shouldn't have bothered to prove anything and rather stone-walled her and denied, denied, denied. Better yet, grab the phone, erase the evidence (and cloud storage :p) and then deny :p.

How is blackmailing MC and crew into doing dangerous work a good thing?

I didn't say it was a good thing or not dangerous, just probably ultimately less irritating than dealing with some random person that would give no fucks about outing us,
not to mention they wanted a bigger target anyways. Taking him down is something they'd do once presented to them, especially since it involves their fellow classmates, while also showing Makoto that they're good people. 2 birds, 1 stone.

The only thing I'd criticize is how Makoto just casually strolled on up to Kaneshiro's hideout.
Now that was undoubtedly stupid and dangerous, even though you understand that she did it out of an increasing need to feel useful.

mollipen

Yeah, yeah, she had a whole change of heart. However, unlike the other team members, even Yosuke, she was one kind of an unlikable person and changed into merely different kind. I am not certain where the love for this character is coming from. Although that's opinions and all.

See, I don't read her like that at all, and don't think she really changed much. She was the student council president, and because of that, she felt certain responsibilities to the school and the student. So, that's part of where her suspicious of "punks" like MC and Ryuji came from. In terms of her bigger "mission", she's being pushed by the principle, and it's clear even early on that she's not really enjoying being in that position or doing what she's doing.

Plus, early signs are there that she isn't the kind of person you think she is—such as her walking around with her face buried in a manga. It's not that she changes, it's that you get to learn the real her, not the "professional" mask she puts on because of her position and responsibilities at the school.

Jintor

that whole sequence is yeah because Makoto is feeling under the gun and completely useless

The stuff with her sister tips her over the edge

I thought the whole arc for her before joining was really fantastic. She's isolated because if expectations and does what she can while remaining trapped, but ultimately it's not enough until she faces herself

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
The ending scenes with Futaba were nice,
the way Sojiro eggs you on for Valentine's Day and then realizes what's happening and gets overprotective, lol. Best dad.

Jintor

i'm also very into the way
best family is not actually blood related to one another and it's never treated as anything other than genuine

though I guess that's not really anything super new for Persona. Now if they could just get super progressive in other areas too...

Having now romanced Ann, Makoto, Ohya, Kawakami, and Tae I can safely say this game has the weakest romance stuff in the series. Most of the confession scenes and pay off scenes are all rather disappointing.

Top Bottom