• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 English Cast Revealed

D

Deleted member 518609

Unconfirmed Member
I immediately stopped watching the trailer when I saw this. I REFUSE TO GET SPOILED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

y86257.gif

That's from like the first 15 minutes of the game mate.

skypunch

Banned
Were I in a newly formed phantom thief group? Dude I wouldn't shut up about how awesome and cool and neat and such I'd look and I'd be making claims about how we're gonna show the world, become stars, etc.

I just can't take anime scripts and characters seriously anymore...

muteki

I can easily picture myself saying something like this to my friends back in high school. It sounds fine to me. I honestly think you're making a bit of a mountain out of a molehill here.
I don't necessarily see how aiming for realism in the dialog is desirable.

DVCY201

So the only overlap is Matt Mercer who took over for Kanji once Troy Baker got big. Coolio. This is a strong cast, I have complete faith that the dub will be fantastic

Also this, it's supposed to be a little over the top, that's the point.

There are PLENTY of grounded moments very, very early on in the game. But the lines they're reading now are indicative of moments where it's not supposed to be grounded.

muteki

Or to put it another way, the dialogue should fit the tone of the work, not just the age of of the characters. This is written by educated professionals not teenagers, if the dialogue can be made to a higher standard it should be.

Yasumi

Banned
Ryuji's line sounds like something a teenager who just discovered he had secret rockstar powers would say. So entirely appropriate.

Also, that's like a first-few-hours line, of course the characters are going to be at their most immature/ignorant.

mdubs

Banned
in any other media , like anime, movies or tv dramas it's expected to have access to original sound/va. one, because dubs are almost universally always worse or get things wrong or make bad tradeoffs and two because most serious consumers care about artistic integrity and experiencing the original product as it was intended without having it filtered through americanization(im form sweden for example) or other crap like that.

Oh please, speak for yourself! Localization rocks, and Atlus does a bang-up job. They just need to get rid of the honorifics and we are golden

Normally I would prefer the Original Japanese voice artists but Persona 4 Golden was so awesome that I am excited about the Dub version for P5.

Gonna have to disagree there, which is why I think it's best when companies offer dual audio, since everyone's satisfied.
Atlus USA are ridiculously out of touch for not doing so when virtually every tweet in response to this trailer being posted is asking for it. https://twitter.com/AtlusUSA/status/788787869343113216

In their defence my guess is it's Atlus Japan being stingy. The lack of dual audio as an option is a real shame though when every other publisher can manage it. Even Sega themselves for their games.

So the only overlap is Matt Mercer who took over for Kanji once Troy Baker got big. Coolio. This is a strong cast, I have complete faith that the dub will be fantastic

Max Mittelman and Erica Lindbeck were in SMTIVA, Cassandra Lee was in that, P4DAN and the P4 anime, but aside from those four these people are new to the series

zelas

Some of these guys sound like kids. Not high schoolers, like 5th graders. Kind of a bummer as a fan of the Persona 3 english cast.

Yasumi

Banned
Gonna have to disagree there, which is why I think it's best when companies offer dual audio, since everyone's satisfied.
Atlus USA are ridiculously out of touch for not doing so when virtually every tweet in response to this trailer being posted is asking for it. https://twitter.com/AtlusUSA/status/788787869343113216
If only those people had access to an imported Japanese version of the game that didn't have the apparently inferior English dub and script.

D

Deleted member 518609

Unconfirmed Member
If only those people had access to an imported Japanese version of the game that didn't have the apparently inferior English dub and script.

Not a single person there is asking for the Japanese script, they're asking for the dub, which is completely reasonable.

Strimei

In their defence my guess is it's Atlus Japan being stingy. The lack of dual audio as an option is a real shame though when every other publisher can manage it. Even Sega themselves for their games.

Wouldn't surprise me if its Atlus Japan influencing things. I know that Japanese companies often have a worry about reverse-imports and that'd be one way to fight against it.

0ed6c7cf4014fb1543618fe6758d19d5.png

It's really worth noting that the import itself is waaaaaaayy pricey. As much as I'd want the Japanese voices, that price is not worth it.

An option would be nice, but whatever. I don't want to whine about it or anything.

D

Deleted member 518609

Unconfirmed Member

I still find that difficult to believe. Even when Atlus USA localized a Spike Chunsoft title, Conception II, they cut the Japanese voice track. NIS America and Aksys Games on the other hand have localized Zero Escape and Danganronpa (other Spike Chunsoft games), and included dual audio for both. Heck, Spike Chunsoft themselves seem committed to dual audio, since they published Conception II on Steam recently with Atlus USA's translation and dub, but with a Japanese audio option. I can't see this being anything other than a decision Atlus USA makes.

I still find that difficult to believe. Even when Atlus USA localized a Spike Chunsoft title, Conception II, they cut the Japanese voice track. NIS America and Aksys Games on the other hand have localized Zero Escape and Danganronpa (other Spike Chunsoft games), and included dual audio for both. Heck, Spike Chunsoft themselves seem committed to dual audio, since they published Conception II on Steam recently with Atlus USA's translation and dub, but with a Japanese audio option. I can't see this being anything other than a decision Atlus USA makes.

Fair enough. I had no idea about that whole situation regarding Conception II, actually. Yeah, I don't know what exactly the issue would be (maybe it's the budget they're allotted, maybe there's something in negotiations, maybe just them not bothering for whatever reason - marketing, demographics, sales expectations?) but I can see how that would pin things directly to them. Weird.

barybll

Banned
We will likely never know.
I doubt the reason is the one they give us, but I won't fret over it, I already accepted the fate of atlus usa games never having dual audio. (apart from P4A of course)

Legitimately curious here; but in the case of something like Persona 5, what are the barriers to providing Dual Audio, outside of licencing?

I'll probably be fine with the Dub, but I think it's really backwards not to provide both for a project of this size. (Especially because smaller localization companies manage to provide it in their games)

Providing Dual Audio would be the easiest way to satisfy the most people, IMO.

Yasumi

Banned
Not a single person there is asking for the Japanese script, they're asking for the dub, which is completely reasonable.
Sorry, seeing certain posters go on about how inferior the dub is (it's not), and how automatically superior the sub is (it's not) just set off my snarkometer.

D

Deleted member 518609

Unconfirmed Member
Legitimately curious here; but in the case of something like Persona 5, what are the barriers to providing Dual Audio, outside of licencing?

I'll probably be fine with the Dub, but I think it's really backwards not to provide both for a project of this size. (Especially because smaller localization companies manage to provide it in their games)

Providing Dual Audio would be the easiest way to satisfy the most people, IMO.

Licensing is the only barrier here, unless Atlus USA are so technologically incompetent they can't even add the option to the game, but I seriously doubt that. Disk space is not an issue, the game barely fills half a bluray.
I'm willing to bet a lot that it's to maximize profits by saving money on licensing, which I find ridiculously stingy, given as you said far smaller companies manage to do so.
Edit: I also find it foolish, since the game is releasing on PS3, and many consumers will flock to an undub, which will mean less profit for Atlus USA anyway.

Sorry, seeing certain posters go on about how inferior the dub is (it's not), and how automatically superior the sub is (it's not) just set off my snarkometer.

You might want to get that thing checked.

I wouldn't say it's stinginess per se.

One, Atlus Japan's hands are likely similarly tied by Japanese contract law. It is very expensive to negotiate voice over talent to work on your game, and the contracts are usually bound to the country it was signed in. It's not stingy to hold back on expanding your legal team's expenses to include untangling international contracts for distribution of electronic products and laws regarding performance rights of actors from one or more talent agencies.
Two, there would need to be a business case for the extra cost associated with keeping dual audio on the disc. There would be extra programming work involved in supporting that, increasing the cost of every disc. Even if it were offered as extra DLC, there's work in QA and storefront maintenance to make sure the DLC is compatible for the supported lifetime of the product. Atlus would need to be sure they'd recoup their cost and then some, and this is not a guarantee. Given the tenor of these threads in the past (which involved people directly participating in the localization business), the added benefit of dual-audio is less than the benefit of a full localization including dubbing. Given that both time and money are limited resources, it pays to understand why dual-audio falls off, even at the cost of angering the few hundred people who never buy anything without it.

I guess what I really want to say is that it's personally frustrating to see people plant their flag on a mountain of 'respect for original artistic intent and artistic integrity' without at least acknowledging a modicum of respect for the existing effort to properly localize titles into a language the world can understand (English) in the first place. Sega very famously does not sell very many copies of their dual-audio games (assuming we're talking about Yakuza here). A handful of irate gaffers isn't enough to convince any branch of Atlus to look at their numbers and their industry and change their minds in the name of 'art.' Yes, it's annoying that your only choice is to put up with English dubs of generally sophomoric writing instead of Japanese dubs of identically sophomoric writing, but it's not like they're doing it to spite everybody.

One of the reasons why many who have played the game already find the story and dialogue better than in previous games is that the interactions between the cast felt more natural and real than in the previous entries.

In this particular case the VA in Persona 5 raised the bar considerably in terms of quality when you compare it to the previous entries of the series. Some Japanese voices in P3 and P4 were not as good as the ones recorded by some American actors (for example Igor, Chie or Teddy). The Japanese version of P5 is pretty good and I'm not really impressed by the few things they've shown so far.

While I agree that claiming dubs are atrocious by default is not fair nor true, including dual audio would benefit a lot this game.

I wouldn't say it's stinginess per se.

One, Atlus Japan's hands are likely similarly tied by Japanese contract law. It is very expensive to negotiate voice over talent to work on your game, and the contracts are usually bound to the country it was signed in. It's not stingy to hold back on expanding your legal team's expenses to include untangling international contracts for distribution of electronic products and laws regarding performance rights of actors from one or more talent agencies.
Two, there would need to be a business case for the extra cost associated with keeping dual audio on the disc. There would be extra programming work involved in supporting that, increasing the cost of every disc. Even if it were offered as extra DLC, there's work in QA and storefront maintenance to make sure the DLC is compatible for the supported lifetime of the product. Atlus would need to be sure they'd recoup their cost and then some, and this is not a guarantee. Given the tenor of these threads in the past (which involved people directly participating in the localization business), the added benefit of dual-audio is less than the benefit of a full localization including dubbing. Given that both time and money are limited resources, it pays to understand why dual-audio falls off, even at the cost of angering the few hundred people who never buy anything without it.

I guess what I really want to say is that it's personally frustrating to see people plant their flag on a mountain of 'respect for original artistic intent and artistic integrity' without at least acknowledging a modicum of respect for the existing effort to properly localize titles into a language the world can understand (English) in the first place. Sega very famously does not sell very many copies of their dual-audio games (assuming we're talking about Yakuza here). A handful of irate gaffers isn't enough to convince any branch of Atlus to look at their numbers and their industry and change their minds in the name of 'art.' Yes, it's annoying that your only choice is to put up with English dubs of generally sophomoric writing instead of Japanese dubs of identically sophomoric writing, but it's not like they're doing it to spite everybody.

Maybe "stingy" is the wrong word but I just find it surprising how Atlus is the last to the boat is all. It's not a hill I particularly care about dying on or anything so I'm assuming I'm not being referred to here, but more options never hurt anyone. I think it's key to be reasonable and respectful when talking about matters like this rather than "WTF ATLUS NO DUB/NO SUB = NO BUY" though, for sure. I just wanted to pipe in and offer my two cents quickly but I'll move on if this is derailing the thread.

Maybe "stingy" is the wrong word but I just find it surprising how Atlus is the last to the boat is all. It's not a hill I particularly care about dying on or anything so I'm assuming I'm not being referred to here, but more options never hurt anyone. I think it's key to be reasonable and respectful when talking about matters like this rather than "WTF ATLUS NO DUB/NO SUB = NO BUY" though, for sure. I just wanted to pipe in and offer my two cents quickly but I'll move on if this is derailing the thread.

Oh no sorry, I didn't mean to say you were the poster who was on the 'art or bust' hill. That was this dude. I just wanted to expand on the cost angle.

It's definitely the cost-to-benefit uncertainty that's partly to blame for holding back dual audio. But I wouldn't put it on anything nefarious. It's risk-aversion + corporate inertia. They're going to do what has worked and so far it's working for them.

kadotsu

Banned

WTF ATLUS NO DUB/NO SUB = NO BUY is respectful. Work that is below today's industry standard gets no money from me. And yes dual audio is industry standard for AAA JRPGs and even AA (or whatever you call stuff like Tales).

They'll get another chance when the Complete/Crimson/Platinum version comes out. I'd even be fine with DLC to test the water. But they aren't even trying with their biggest franchise. In the end I don't even blame Atlus USA because if stuff like the P4A lock is any indication the stupidity is coming from the Japanese branch.

muteki

One of the reasons why many who have played the game already find the story and dialogue better than in previous games is that the interactions between the cast felt more natural and real than in the previous entries.
I was responding to the previous statements that childish or teenager level dialogue was ok because in their real wild interactions with teenagers that is how they talk, which seems silly to me.

The interactions between main characters is much more genuine here and I think skewing the dialog younger when some serious (not necessarily supernatural) shit is going down would be a bad idea.

There are school mate npcs here that have the teenager dialogue schtick about girls, classes, etc., doesn't mean the main cast has to be.

Kthulhu

WTF ATLUS NO DUB/NO SUB = NO BUY is respectful. Work that is below today's industry standard gets no money from me. And yes dual audio is industry standard for AAA JRPGs and even AA (or whatever you call stuff like Tales).

They'll get another chance when the Complete/Crimson/Platinum version comes out. I'd even be fine with DLC to test the water. But they aren't even trying with their biggest franchise. In the end I don't even blame Atlus USA because if stuff like the P4A lock is any indication the stupidity is coming from the Japanese branch.

I wonder if they are bound by something that prevents them from saying why there is no dual audio.

It's time like these that I'm glad I've barely been watching any media regarding this game. If I watch an anime in Japanese then switch afterwards to an English dub ii is really jarring. However if I havent watched enough to associate voices to a character I'm usually ok with English.

I was responding to the previous statements that childish or teenager level dialogue was ok because in their real wild interactions with teenagers that is how they talk, which seems silly to me.

The interactions between main characters is much more genuine here and I think skewing the dialog younger when some serious (not necessarily supernatural) shit is going down would be a bad idea.

There are school mate npcs here that have the teenager dialogue schtick about girls, classes, etc., doesn't mean the main cast has to be.

I see.

To be fair though, in these games there always funny and childish moments too. P5 is no exception although the dialog in those moments feel more natural and less exaggerated than in P4.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Just out of interest addressing the people not super jazzed about what they showcased so far. As someone that generally prefers the original always for anything(movies, books, games, TV series) cases are rare where my initial reaction to the localization is positive. It gets all the more confusing when even other bilinguals seem to swear on the quality of something I personally have a hard time getting used to.

That said there are cases where I definitely thought the quality of a localization was so good I felt convinced from the get go. For JRPGs I think the most recent one for me was Ni no Kuni where I really liked both versions (Eng/JP) from the very first trailer to the final release. So back to what I wanted to ask initially to the people that are dub averse if they have similar experiences. Or if they're 100% consequently JP>Eng.

Cause I'm basically just trying to rationalize why I'm so insanely picky on this.
It doesn't seem to be a quality thing judging by the majority of opinions especially coming from bilinguals that I'm seeing.
And it's definitely not the actors skill cause people like Troy Baker fucking owns in so many of the western titles he is in and yet I never could get used to his Snow or Kanji.

Aeana

Licensing is the only barrier here, unless Atlus USA are so technologically incompetent they can't even add the option to the game, but I seriously doubt that. Disk space is not an issue, the game barely fills half a bluray.
I'm willing to bet a lot that it's to maximize profits by saving money on licensing, which I find ridiculously stingy, given as you said far smaller companies manage to do so.
Edit: I also find it foolish, since the game is releasing on PS3, and many consumers will flock to an undub, which will mean less profit for Atlus USA anyway.

You might want to get that thing checked.
Atlus USA has zero programmers. Atlus Japan has to add the option to the game for them.

D

Deleted member 518609

Unconfirmed Member
Just out of interest addressing the people not super jazzed about what they showcased so far. As someone that generally prefers the original always for anything(movies, books, games, TV series) cases are rare where my initial reaction to the localization is positive. It gets all the more confusing when even other bilinguals seem to swear on the quality of something I personally have a hard time getting used to.

That said there are cases where I definitely thought the quality of a localization was so good I felt convinced from the get go. For JRPGs I think the most recent one for me was Ni no Kuni where I really liked both versions (Eng/JP) from the very first trailer to the final release. So back to what I wanted to ask initially to the people that are dub averse if they have similar experiences. Or if they're 100% consequently JP>Eng.

Cause I'm basically just trying to rationalize why I'm so insanely picky on this.
It doesn't seem to be a quality thing judging by the majority of opinions especially coming from bilinguals that I'm seeing.
And it's definitely not the actors skill cause people like Troy Baker fucking owns in so many of the western titles he is in and yet I never could get used to his Snow or Kanji.

I'll always play in the original language, and cases where I prefer the dub are very rare for me. I'm like you in that I think Troy Baker did a fantastic job as the Joker or as Joel in The Last of Us, but I can't quite get behind him (or many other great English VAs) in dubs. I'm not sure if it's just an irrational feeling of uneasiness of playing a game in something other than its native language, or (sorry in advance) if most dubs are simply not as good as their original counterparts. I'm not a dub hater though, I'll often play with a dub on a second playthrough, but almost all of the time I'll still prefer the original.

I'm not dub averse, In my case I'd say that it depends on the overall quality. All the good dubs I remember are getting old: P3, P4, Tales of Vesperia, Disgaea, Dragon Quest VIII, recently Catherine were all pretty good and at times superior to the Japanese VA. I remember other that were bad like in Blue Dragon, Eternal Sonata, Devil Survivor, Suikoden Tierkreis all of them felt off. Blue Dragon's case was weird since I disliked both the Japanese and the English VO, I ended up playing it in French... and I liked it a lot that way.

So yeah, I cannot say that by default English dubs are bad.

I don't have any issues with the lines as written in the trailer, but it definitely seems to have the usual type of anime performances / deliveries of those lines, where P4 felt like it was one step away from that (even if it was a minor step; like an anime dub but with a bit of naturalism injected).

Still, hard to get a real feel for the dub from 40 seconds. We'll see once we've heard more.

Edit: Honestly, it might even just be that first line that sets a weird tone for me. That's the one part where the actual line itself isn't something a human would say, on top of the weird delivery.

bigjig

Maybe it's the quality of the VO direction or the localization? Troy Baker is good in those western titles because English is the primary language of the development team, whereas the Japanese developers can't directly communicate what they're going for in a particular scene as they would be able to with Japanese VAs.

I agree with you I thought Troy Baker was average as fuck as Kanji and Snow, but he did great as Joel in TLoU.

As you say a good dub isn't impossible though, FFXII still remains my gold standard as far as English dubs of a Japanese game go. This initial look at the English VO of P5 is on the more disappointing end of things, but maybe that's exacerbated by just how great the JP cast is.

PK Gaming

Gonna have to disagree with your disagreement.

AtlusUSA's localization are top class.

Voice acting is subjective, but the script quality is almost objectively amazing.

And it's been mentioned a lot but I don't think they're not including JP Audio out of spite; it's genuinely not an option for them, given their low manpower / money.

D

Deleted member 518609

Unconfirmed Member
Gonna have to disagree with your disagreement.

AtlusUSA's localization are top class.

Voice acting is subjective, but the script quality is almost objectively amazing.

And it's been mentioned a lot but I don't think they're not including JP Audio out of spite; it's genuinely not an option for them, given their low manpower / money.

Sorry if that came across as an attack on their script quality, it wasn't meant to be. I followed it up by mentioning dual audio would make everyone happy, I was talking about that. Minus the honorifics, their scripts are fine.

Of course they're not excluding the Japanese dub out of spite, but I don't think it's "not an option". If they're really unable to afford it, while virtually every other studio can (including ones that localize far less profitable games), then something is very wrong there. I think they're trying to maximize profits by cutting costs, but it's highly unlikely they can't afford it, not for a game guaranteed to sell as well as P5.

Nyoro SF

Sorry if that came across as an attack on their script quality, it wasn't meant to be. I followed it up by mentioning dual audio would make everyone happy, I was talking about that. Minus the honorifics, their scripts are fine.

Of course they're not excluding the Japanese dub out of spite, but I don't think it's "not an option". If they're really unable to afford it, while virtually every other studio (including ones that localize far less profitable games) can, then something is very wrong there. I think they're trying to maximize profits by cutting costs, but it's highly unlikely they can't afford it, not for a game guaranteed to sell as well as P5.

Your thinking is not wrong.

Atlus is known as a stingy company because of their reputation that they've earned themselves, and that goes beyond dual audio.

The infamous Atlus Tax, demanding that users choose between preorder bonuses and dual voices in a poll, and being called out by NIS America for being a stingy company; the only localization company on record having received such a public distinction from another firm (Imagine if Spike Chunsoft broke off a publishing deal with Aksys and publically called them a company that only cared about profits and not partnerships).

If there's anything rotten, it's the business being conducted at Atlus USA that focuses too heavily on squeezing out profit, and it's not something anyone should waste their sympathy on or feel like they're being annoying fans when they're not.

Top Bottom