• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Persona 5 English Cast Revealed

-Horizon-

So watching the atlus usa trailer for the protag, was that him saying "show me your true form"?

And the font...is kind of...ehhhhhh.

Zhao_Yun

I can't think of a worse idea than this.

Oh, I know that the idea is terrible, but it would still work better for me. The best option would obviously be dual-audio, but that's not going to happen.

I feel you especially when one lives farther away from the big cities it's a major pain/impossible if you miss the timing finding a screening with the OV. I could never imagine myself watching the last Lincoln film in dub *shudder*.

Yep, even in cities you have to go within the first two weeks or you'll have to wait for the Blu-Ray Release.

Squire

Banned
Pretty excellent casting here. Mobus and Harlacher are headed straight to the top. Morris and Lindbeck (who I REALLY wanted to be in this) are pros. Yusuke sounded surprisingly masculine in the anime, so Mercer seems like a good pick. Leigh is an old pro. She's been waiting for this.

Robbie Daymond is voicing fucking Prompto in FFXV. I'll believe it when I hear it as far as Goro is concerned.

Morgana is quite nice. That font better not be final :p

Edit: I only recognized the "FINISH IT" as morgana. Not feeling the first line. At ALL

antibolo

Banned
To be honest, I would be fine with the game being dub-only if they would completely change the setting for the game just as in Ace Attorney. Just change it from Tokyo to a random fictional US City. At least the language spoken would fit the setting then.

Holy shit please don't give them ideas.

Also nobody should ever be praising the whitewashing localization of the AA games.

Skinpop

Yeah, see this is why I made the "voice acting is subjective" post. The way you worded it sounds like "people who like the dub have no taste" as opposed to "man I'm tired of dub only because it just doesn't work for me" and that off puts a lot of people, especially when we do this song and dance for everything.

Also, you'd still partially get the 'Americanized' version because most dual audio games only have 1 text track.

Here's some other stuff to think about.
for the record I speak japanese. my reading isn't the best though and I rather not look up kanjis every 5 minutes if there's lots of text. also it's beside the point, even if I didn't speak japanese I would always take the original. Just like how I'd never watch the Swedish dub of a foreign movie.
Those things to "think about" could be applied to any kind of media. well do you watch the dubbed versions of kurosawa and ozu movies as well, or the bergman movies, chinese italian and so on? Would you be ok if that was the only audio available? It's not only that dubs changes content but also the mood and experience of listening to different languages are inherently different and that's a big part of the appeal.

antibolo

Banned
It's always going to be hard to disassociate the original voice actors from the characters now that so many of us have heard it for so long. I honestly think people don't mind the majority of dubs, given they haven't heard the original actors first.

I've avoided hearing any original Persona 5 voices so far (gameplay footage, the prequel anime, etc.) for this very reason. Coming into the game with no prior knowledge of the original voices will make it easier for me to accept the dub that Atlus will most likely force down my throat because Atlus gotta Atlus.

Nachos

Sojiro seems to be Richard Epcar. Also:

SECONDA ROUND MEDIUM. PLEASE.

aNXLWkX.jpg

Zhao_Yun

Holy shit please don't give them ideas.

Also nobody should ever be praising the whitewashing localization of the AA games.

Just to be clear, I am not praising the localization of the AA games. I just wanted to express that an English dub would work better for me if the setting was actually a place where people speak English.

Kthulhu

Just to be clear, I am not praising the localization of the AA games. I just wanted to express that an English dub would work better for me if the setting was actually a place where people speak English.

I'm sure you can track down a copy of Revelations Persona pretty easily these days.

bryt

I have no clue who any of these people are and I'm not watching the trailer since I want to go into this game blind. Hope they're good.

My main worry with the dub was Morgana's voice. And now I see I was kind of right. The problem is not the voice itself but the delivery of the actress: Morgana can be cute, bratty, show disdain to the main cast in just few words, while in what's been shown so far there are no changes to the tone of voice. Perhaps I need to hear more before judging but what I've heard so far is kind of disappointing.

Lunar15

My main worry with the dub was Morgana's voice. And now I see I was kind of right. The problem is not the voice itself but the delivery of the actress: Morgana can be cute, bratty, show disdain to the main cast in just few words, while in what's been shown so far there are no changes to the tone of voice. Perhaps I need to hear more before judging but what I've heard so far is kind of disappointing.

We've heard one line from the game, so I'm not going to freak out too much just yet. I'm not exactly hopeful though.

asagami_

Banned

Cassandra Morris, as I have heard in three games, can be your typical old friend, a tsundere or a polite deadly assasin. I'm sure she will do an amazing job as Morgana.

FSLink

Banned

We've heard only like three lines and an E3 voiceover that was for promotion reasons only and not in-context.
Let's not worry about it until we hear more.

Logash

I find it weird that they release a trailer with like 4 or 5 lines that are all said by different people and call it a protag trailer...

Shouta

Cast seems fine but the clips from the MC trailer don't seem very good. Hopefully it starts to shape up better with more samples.

Morris might be the actual best actor in the main cast.

In Xenoblade X she managed to take the little-girl role that should have seemed like it'd be obnoxious, and actually make her sound pretty realistic and likeable. That alone gives her plenty of brownie points from me. She and Max Mittelman (and Xanthe Huynh, not familiar with her but that's nice for me) are the casting choices I'm happiest about.

Glad to see Xander Mobus going places even if I don't know how talkative this Protagonist is.

Cassandra Morris, as I have heard in three games, can be your typical old friend, a tsundere or a polite deadly assasin. I'm sure she will do an amazing job as Morgana.

We've heard only like three lines and an E3 voiceover that was for promotion reasons only and not in-context.
Let's not worry about it until we hear more.

We've heard one line from the game, so I'm not going to freak out too much just yet. I'm not exactly hopeful though.

My point here is that even with one line, Japanese Morgana can show a lot of personality while so far, the few lines we've heard from the English dub don't tell you much. It doesn't help either that in Japanese, Morgana uses a lot of archaic language and mixes it with English and slang, which might be pretty difficult to pull off in the English version. I'm really not hopeful either.

My point here is that even with one line, Japanese Morgana can show a lot of personality while so far, the few lines we've heard from the English dub don't tell you much. It doesn't help either that in Japanese, Morgana uses a lot of archaic language and mixes it with English and slang, which might be pretty difficult to pull off in the English version. I'm really not hopeful either.

Wouldn't the equivalent be like being mainly verbose and erudite and then randomly dropping in slang words or turns of phrase?

FSLink

Banned

Okay. We've still only heard very little of it. It's also a localization, it doesn't have to be a 1:1 translation. I'm in the middle of my JPN playthrough and I'm curious to see where they'll take the voice direction for the ENG one. I'd rather wait and see instead of being pessimistic over 3 lines of dialogue.

Wouldn't the equivalent be like being mainly verbose and erudite and then randomly dropping in slang words or turns of phrase?
I suppose that would work, but it's just one of the multiple facets of Morgana's personality. In my opinion Morgana is the best character in the game.

With Japanese Morgana there's a bunch of stuff going on. First of all I think the seiyuu that voices him is the same girl that voices Pikachu. I also always thought he way of speaking was a reference to this book: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Am_a_Cat

Was only kind of hoping for Goro to be voiced by Brad Swaile (Light Yagami's dub voice actor). I don't have much faith in Atlus localizations anymore (that font choice...). Buuuut that's also why I just imported the game.

Giolon

I feel like I'm the only one who likes the English VA for Morgana.

Cassandra Lee Morris is both Edea Lee in Bravely Default and Lin Lee Koo in Xenoblade Chronicles X. She can do really good work. I'm going to wait and hear more, but I didn't think what was there was bad.

I think people just have an instinctive aversion to high pitched voices around here.

Was only kind of hoping for Goro to be voiced by Brad Swaile (Light Yagami's dub voice actor). I don't have much faith in Atlus localizations anymore (that font choice...). Buuuut that's also why I just imported the game.

Brad's based out of Vancouver, most of the Ocean's dub people aren't in much anime stuff anymore.

Shouta

With Japanese Morgana there's a bunch of stuff going on. First of all I think the seiyuu that voices him is the same girl that voices Pikachu. I also always thought he way of speaking was a reference to this book: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Am_a_Cat

Font choice, at least for the one attack scene text box, is probably a placeholder

aadiboy

"Bizarre and utterly unpalatable - This was supposed to be a work of art depicting a group of Tokyo youth, living life in modern day Tokyo. Sorry America, you can keep this wierd practice to yourselves. I'll be spending my money on the respectfully handled Yakuza Zero instead."

lol

Top Bottom