• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 OT |25 Years Later...It Is Happening Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joqu

I'm pretty sure that exact same Lucy gag is in the Missing Pieces actually, except not taken as far because of a lack of any cell phone. Doesn't she scream at the sight of Harry who she thought was still in the interrogation room with Andy on the phone? That's how I remember it, I thought it was a really cute nod to that.

And yes, I think David Lynch is a genuinely good actor.

I'm pretty sure that exact same Lucy gag is in the Missing Pieces actually, except not taken as far because of a lack of any cell phone. Doesn't she scream at the sight of Harry who she thought was still in the interrogation room with Andy on the phone? That's how I remember it, I thought it was a really cute nod to that.

And yes, I think David Lynch is a genuinely good actor.

Yes. Then a similar bit with Andy. That scene is now canon to me (as is 'Is it future or is it past?' bits).

Joqu

Yes. Then a similar bit with Andy. That scene is now canon to me (as is 'Is it future or is it past?' bits).

Ah I'm glad I remembered it right! Though I watched it not too long ago, so it would've been sad if I didn't...

I've already said I'm considering it all canon anyway, but either way I'm really glad season 3 hasn't been afraid of referencing Missing Pieces content. I love that.

Ah I'm glad I remembered it right! Though I didn't watch it that long ago, so it would've been sad if I didn't...

I've already said I'm considering it all canon anyway, but either way I'm really glad season 3 hasn't been afraid of referencing Missing Pieces content. I love that.

How do you explain Jeffries line on looking at Gordon's calendar and going 'February 1989?' out of interest?

For me that's a step too far. Like sure, you can claim that he's making a prediction for when the killer will strike again, but that's clearly not the intent of that moment.

Bread

Banned
Must've been an absolute exercise in keeping your face straight while filming that. No way I could've. Cera is a beast.
the way Andy and Lucy kept their hands on his shoulder and looking over to Truman was so funny, it just kept getting funnier by the second.

grumpy

I just love that Lynch made himself one of the central characters this season. I hope that if I ever live long enough to reach 70 I'll be as cool then as he is now.

I mean, look at this handsome motherfucker
F6SpbC7.gif

Plus, you know that there's no way in hell
he's not kissing Mädchen Amick
again.

The table drawing and the detailed description had me rolling.

Specific right down the Parmesan crackers. I loved it. Also from that interview (episode 4 spoilers):

Part 4 also establishes that apparently, Cole has had some dubious history with younger female agents. How did he get that reputation?

Oh, you don’t want to know.

lol.

Lynch's hair really is phenomenal.

Joqu

How do you explain Jeffries line on looking at Gordon's calendar and going 'February 1989?' out of interest?

For me that's a step too far. Like sure, you can claim that he's making a prediction for when the killer will strike again, but that's clearly not the intent of that moment.

I'll be honest here, I just consider it a continuity error and pretty much ignore it! That's fine by me, but I probably can't give you an answer you'd find satisfying.

Now I recognize it's an especially big error, but that stuff happens quite often in media, Twin Peaks included. And in Jeffries' case it's a date which I actually do find a whole lot easier to ignore because I really don't care much about timelines not matching up in this kind of work... I barely know the dates myself. That's just not how I approach Twin Peaks.

Of course I know it's a mistake, but for me personally it's one I find it easy enough to explain away anyway, yeah. I don't even view it as a prediction, just as Jeffries being in a very confused state and getting it wrong, but still recognizing something's up with the date. That's clearly not the intention but it works for me.

Also, if I really can't reconcile something I'd just say that one line of dialogue isn't canon, I'd never go and dismiss the rest of it. That's just not how I approach those things. And I'd especially never wait for a reference in season 3 to say, Leland teaching some Norwegian. There are absolutely no issues there and it's a lovely scene, the waiting for acknowledgment approach isn't really something I get, that's definitely not me.

That make sense to you? :s

So is the assumption that Part 5 will be posted on Showtime's site around the same time 3&4 air on TV correct? Or are we waiting until June 4th for the next bit?

I'll be honest here, I just consider it a continuity error and pretty much ignore it! That's fine by me, but I probably can't give you an answer you'd find satisfying.

Now I recognize it's an especially big error, but that stuff happens quite often in media, Twin Peaks included. And in Jeffries' case it's a date which I actually do find a whole lot easier to ignore because I really don't care much about timelines not matching up in this kind of work... I barely know the dates myself. That's just not how I approach Twin Peaks.

Of course I know it's a mistake, but for me personally it's one I find it easy enough to explain away anyway, yeah. I don't even view it as a prediction, just as Jeffries being in a very confused state and getting it wrong, but still recognizing something's up with the date. That's clearly not the intention but it works for me.

Also, if I really can't reconcile something I'd just say that one line of dialogue isn't canon, I'd never go and dismiss the rest of it. That's just not how I approach those things. And I'd especially never wait for a reference in season 3 to say, Leland teaching some Norwegian. There are absolutely no issues there and it's a lovely scene, the waiting for acknowledgment approach isn't really something I get, that's definitely not me.

That make sense to you? :s

Yes.

But it's not really a mistake. If you haven't read the shooting script, you mightn't know this, but originally that scene *was* meant to take place in 1989. You'll notice (espescially now that I've pointed it out) that the line about Agent Chester Desmond having just gone missing is ADR (added after the fact... said by someone who isn't on screen at the time).

When Lynch cut the movie down, he moved a number of the events around. That's a big one, but it means that the final version of the movie clearly establishes those events as happening in 1988.

So for me, I don't see the missing pieces as canon, at least until the series directly references them. That's just me though!

aravuus

Just spent all night drinking with a bunch of friends who all liked or loved the original Twin Peaks, but almost none of them have had the time to watch the new episodes yet.

Goddamn I had a hard time not spoiling anything for them. I sort of almost forced a couple of them to watch the new episodes tomorrow and now I'm pretty fucking excited to hear their reactions lmao

e: think I'm gonna rewatch the first 4 parts myself tomorrow, should go perfectly with the massive hangover I'm probably gonna wake up with

Joqu

Yes.

But it's not really a mistake. If you haven't read the shooting script, you mightn't know this, but originally that scene *was* meant to take place in 1989. You'll notice (espescially now that I've pointed it out) that the line about Agent Chester Desmond having just gone missing is ADR (added after the fact... said by someone who isn't on screen at the time).

When Lynch cut the movie down, he moved a number of the events around. That's a big one, but it means that the final version of the movie clearly establishes those events as happening in 1988.

So for me, I don't see the missing pieces as canon, at least until the series directly references them. That's just me though!

I see, that's interesting stuff. I know it's available but I've never read the script. I'm usually no good at noticing ADR but I'll pay attention to it next time I watch it!

But as you've probably guessed that doesn't change how I feel about the matter. And while I do understand feeling that way about contradictory scenes like the Jeffries one we're discussing, waiting for references to any of the other scenes doesn't make much sense to me to be honest. I can't imagine we'll ever get a reference to stuff like the mill scene, the lamp scene, things like that, and scenes like that are so inconsequential that assuming they're not canon by default feels like a bit much to me? I just don't see the harm with those. But yeah, that's just me I guess. ^^

Wollan

Watched the three first episodes on premiere day and the fourth episode the day after.

I can only add that I find every minute super intriguing. There's great television and then there's the timeless entertainment happening that feels completely unique and one only gets to witness a handful of times.

I just love that Lynch made himself one of the central characters this season. I hope that if I ever live long enough to reach 70 I'll be as cool then as he is now.

I mean, look at this handsome motherfucker
F6SpbC7.gif

Plus, you know that there's no way in hell
he's not kissing Mädchen Amick
again.
David lynch really is one of the coolest dude around

Fuck this waiting​ is torture, why did I let Bob force me to watch 3 and 4 instead of holding out so the wait wouldn't be as bad?

grumpy

Fuck this waiting​ is torture, why did I let Bob force me to watch 3 and 4 instead of holding out so the wait wouldn't be as bad?

After living with that shitty cliffhanger for nearly 13 years, not to mention waiting over a decade for a major Lynch project there was absolutely no force on earth that could prevent me from binging on all four eps in one night.

hydruxo

After living with that shitty cliffhanger for nearly 13 years, not to mention waiting over a decade for a major Lynch project there was absolutely no force on earth that could prevent me from binging on all four eps in one night.

Yep, having to wait an extra week sucks but it's a small price to pay for getting 4 episodes all at once

What was going on with that
Michael Cera
scene and why was it the best thing ever?

He's trying to act like his hero
Brando
, and it's awful which
Sheriff Franklin Truman
is all too aware of, but
his parents think he's amazing
so he just politely puts up with it.

Also...

Your dharma...

(ツ)_/¯

grumpy

I've been rewatching the first two episodes and I just realised that the music that plays when
Hawk goes searching through the woods is the same one that plays when Cooper is in the same place trying to find the Lodge's entrance and during the "How's Annie" scene in the final episode of S2.
Does anyone know the name of that track?

Hi folks, just wanted to share a classical/flamenco solo guitar arrangement inspired by the new series. :) It's Badalamenti's "Voice of Love," with Laura Palmer's Theme as the intro...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ab-DrFZJzC8

That was pretty good. Subbed :)
moar plz

Artanisix

Never heard of Twin Peaks til I saw this thread... and holy shit how did I never know Lynch made this? Just started watching Season 1 and it's been blowing my mind at how well it holds up even now. Very excited to catch up.

Flipyap

Fantastic new interview with Lynch for EW
One of the images of evil I'm speaking about was the man in the jail cell who seemed caked in mud or burnt to a crisp and contorted in agony. He seemed to be attending the misery of accused murderer Bill. We saw him turn to vapor and his head floated away. Was there a specific inspiration for that?

That's an example of what I'm talking about. An image came; it was all about translating. And by the way, about that guy, you just keep watching.
Jesus Christ, David K. Lynch, tag your spoilers for Parts 3-18 (YESSSS, gimme more Motionless-kun, so glad he's not a one-off gimmick... not that there's anything wrong with it, some of my best lodge friends are one-off gimmicks)

I've been rewatching the first two episodes and I just realised that the music that plays when
Hawk goes searching through the woods is the same one that plays when Cooper is in the same place trying to find the Lodge's entrance and during the "How's Annie" scene in the final episode of S2.
Does anyone know the name of that track?
Dark Mood Woods

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
The density of the narrative is astonishing. Lynch likes to say things just appear to him, thoughts put on screen, but there is a cohesiveness that is compelling versus a show like Lost that felt like thrown paint.

Elchele

Never heard of Twin Peaks til I saw this thread... and holy shit how did I never know Lynch made this? Just started watching Season 1 and it's been blowing my mind at how well it holds up even now. Very excited to catch up.

I wish I was you

then I remember the filler episodes of S2.

I think I'm good

This thread is a minefield of spoilers for episodes 3 and 4. I finally caught up with them all today because I had to wait to watch with my wife.

This season is a masterpiece. I can't believe how perfect I feel it is. My favorite Lynch is latter (Mulholland, Inland) and this feels like an amazing culmination of those and the best parts of TP. In my wildest dreams I don't think I imagined it would be so good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom