• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 OT |25 Years Later...It Is Happening Again

Status
Not open for further replies.
The density of the narrative is astonishing. Lynch likes to say things just appear to him, thoughts put on screen, but there is a cohesiveness that is compelling versus a show like Lost that felt like thrown paint.

To be fair Lost didn't have the luxury of preparing an entire season in one go and knowing their end point.

It's easy to see how Twin Peaks lost its way when it was in a similar position.

I love Evil Cooper's intro driving scene. The music is so unsettling, and then he gets out of the car and the signature Lynch droning sounds get amped up when you see who it is. So damn good.

The song is even more impressive cause the original is like...completely different in tone lmao.

Yeah, it's amazing how slowing it down completely changes the mood.

Is it supposed to be indicative of Mr C's perception of time outside of the Black Lodge?

Drain You

I watched twin peaks way late to the party. Super stoked a new season was coming out. Realized there was a movie, Fire walk With Me. Love it so far, it's weeeeird.

I've been rewatching the first two episodes and I just realised that the music that plays when
Hawk goes searching through the woods is the same one that plays when Cooper is in the same place trying to find the Lodge's entrance and during the "How's Annie" scene in the final episode of S2.
Does anyone know the name of that track?

That was pretty good. Subbed :)
moar plz

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuzYfUz5dNM

Slaythe

You people always trying to look for otherworldly reasons lmfao.

"I wonder what the close up on Tammy's ass really means".

It means she has a pretty ass. That's it.

ActWan

Wew, I just noticed 2 cool things in episode 4:
When Booper greets Gordon he says "it's yrev very good to see you" and Gordon probably noticed that because later he said to Albert "I don't think he greeted me properly, if you take my meaning".
The other thing is that in this scene of Albert and Gordon talking - there is a blue filter on the screen, which is in line with the "blue rose" mentions.
And 4 is slowly becoming one of my favorite episodes, ever.

TheKeyPit

Banned
Wew, I just noticed 2 cool things in episode 4:
When Booper greets Gordon he says "it's yrev very good to see you" and Gordon probably noticed that because later he said to Albert "I don't think he greeted me properly, if you take my meaning".
The other thing is that in this scene of Albert and Gordon talking - there is a blue filter on the screen, which is in line with the "blue rose" mentions.
And 4 is slowly becoming one of my favorite episodes, ever.
I still think that "didn't greet me properly" was aimed at the lousy thumbs up. A simple thumbs up after 25+ years is not how Coop would've greeted him after all these years, hence Gordon's non-reaction to that gesture.

Dan-o

You're both right. :) I would add
the way bad Cooper addressed Gordon. It's hard to describe but it's like Sammy Jenkins in Memento... Faking familiarity. Obviously bad Cooper is in a strange state, be he also doesn't really know Gordon. Which is why his comments "it's very good to see you old friend " and "I miss spending time with you" are just attempts to get Gordon to think it's the real Cooper. But he screws up when he repeats himself. It's like he was practicing these lines prior to 2:53 in order to be able to say them in this... state.

Arkanius

Yep. We've already seen multiple references to it in these first four episodes.

That's what I feared.
The first three episodes were too deep in the Lodge territory and everyone seemed very familiar with it. The lodge only showed up in the last episode of Season 2 though.
Is it because of FWWM?

AoM

That's what I feared.
The first three episodes were too deep in the Lodge territory and everyone seemed very familiar with it. The lodge only showed up in the last episode of Season 2 though.
Is it because of FWWM?

A little, but most of that is entirely new territory from Lynch and Frost. What bits were most everyone familiar with?

Moff

I loved episode 1 even more on a rewatch, this is top tier lynch content

some things I noticed:
cooper arrives in the glass box after he was basically thrown down there by the arm doppelganger, so I guess the monster in the box shortly after went there after him may be the arm doppelganger itself, since the heads look similar

philipp jeffries says goodbye to doppelganger cooper, but shortly before that phonecall, daria speaks on the phone with ray and ray says he talked to jeffries and that she needs to kill doppelganger cooper. so jeffries is definitely an important character this season, but doppelganger cooper doubts if it's really him on the phone. I wonder if it's really him or an impostor, maybe due to david bowie obviously not being able to play the role. may he be the billonaire behind the glass box? the man behind the curtain so to speak.

I am still concinced this will not be able to find a mass audience, it's way too hard to follow. I mean I remember the hardcore cliffhangers in season 1. back then twin peaks was intended to grasp a mass audience, season 3 clearly isn't.

You're both right. :) I would add
the way bad Cooper addressed Gordon. It's hard to describe but it's like Sammy Jenkins in Memento... Faking familiarity. Obviously bad Cooper is in a strange state, be he also doesn't really know Gordon. Which is why his comments "it's very good to see you old friend " and "I miss spending time with you" are just attempts to get Gordon to think it's the real Cooper. But he screws up when he repeats himself. It's like he was practicing these lines prior to 2:53 in order to be able to say them in this... state.

I also believe that the
the video, not just the audio being pitched down, is slowed down when it comes to Evil Coop. Notice his slow blinking.

This has all probably been theorized, but (ep 3-4 spoilers)
I'm thinking Doop deliberately got himself arrested in the Buckthorn area so he could get into the same prison as Ray, get the "coordinates" from him, and then break out using the knowledge he gained from downloading the prison's blueprints. (Presumably he'll do this after the assassins kill Coop, freeing him from his diminished state.) Everything he said during the interrogation scene was something he somehow trained himself to say in advance.

Now watch me be totally wrong.

What are the FWWM references?

I caught:
*blue rose
*Phillip Jeffries

In FWWM
Laura has a conversation about what it would be like to fall through space, which is what happens to that woman in the beginning of episode 3.

Moff

This has all probably been theorized, but (ep 3-4 spoilers)
I'm thinking Doop deliberately got himself arrested in the Buckthorn area so he could get into the same prison as Ray, get the "coordinates" from him, and then break out using the knowledge he gained from downloading the prison's blueprints. (Presumably he'll do this after the assassins kill Coop, freeing him from his diminished state.) Everything he said during the interrogation scene was something he somehow trained himself to say in advance.

Now watch me be totally wrong.[/SPOILER]

I think it's pretty clear that this are his intentions

Daft_Cat

The saga of Phillip Jeffries is still the most inscrutable thing about the entire Twin Peaks mythology. I've seen the movie a couple times and I still can't wrap my head around that plot thread. I've even looked the character up online. No dice.

This amazing moment in particular is maybe the only time I've ever felt truly lost in a David Lynch movie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4msytla9wYU

Hoping season 3 sheds light on the whole thing.

Solo

To be fair Lost didn't have the luxury of preparing an entire season in one go and knowing their end point.

....but the show runners of Lost knew after season 3 that the show was going to end after season 6. They had three whole years to prepare and they most certainly knew their end point.

....but the show runners of Lost knew after season 3 that the show was going to end after season 6. They had three whole years to prepare and they most certainly knew their end point.

That's the only thing they knew lol. Everything else was them thinking up on the spot and writing themselves into a corner.

(I can't help but to talk shit about Lost whenever it's mentioned).

I love how he completely dismissed the "box is a television" theory.

I think Lynch is less interested in allegories that relate to the viewer, and more keen on symbolism that represents the scene or the characters emotions. I highly doubt he would write a scene like that with the audience's expectations in mind. He's more direct when he does that kind of thing (e.g. trolling an audience with the waiter in the season two premiere.)

Maybe I'm wrong though.

Dyle

I can't stop listening to the Chromatics, Shadow is such a beautiful song and a natural followup to Julee Cruise. I wonder how many more episodes will end with a musical number at the Roadhouse?

David Lynch is such a character. How can you not love him?

But I am so bothered by the fact that he lives in a Frank Lloyd Wright house and is handmaking this silly table all by himself. There's a whole community of craftsmen who focus on Wright furniture who could totally build him a table that would have all those bells and whistles but still be aesthetically sound. But I guess as long as he enjoys making it, that's all that matters.

xW1j8GX.gif

r8lpoZY.gif

DfBaV4j.gif

Best quality/rez my poor mac can reproduce right now : (

amazing!

Twin Peaks sets Showtime streaming record!

http://screenrant.com/twin-peaks-showtime-streaming-ratings-record/

hydruxo

I can't stop listening to the Chromatics, Shadow is such a beautiful song and a natural followup to Julee Cruise. I wonder how many more episodes will end with a musical number at the Roadhouse?

If the first four episodes are anything to go by, probably a fair amount of them haha. We got one at the end of 2, 3, & 4. Though I imagine as we get deeper into the season, it'll be tough for them to end episodes with a musical number when the shit really hits the fan. Maybe they still will though, who knows with Lynch.

I like the Cactus Blossoms song from ep 3 a lot

If the first four episodes are anything to go by, probably a fair amount of them haha. We got one at the end of 2, 3, & 4. Though I imagine as we get deeper into the season, it'll be tough for them to end episodes with a musical number when the shit really hits the fan. Maybe they still will though, who knows with Lynch.
Since 1&2 were meant as a single episode, we actually got one for everyone of them. And except the first one, the other two were unrelated to anything else, so I'd imagine that's what will happen going forward. It's a good way to let us know the episode is ending at least ;)

I'm actually not a fan of the endings in the Roadhouse. Just feels random and overused already. I'd much prefer a lingering, memorable final shot.

hydruxo

I'm actually not a fan of the endings in the Roadhouse. Just feels random and overused already. I'd much prefer a lingering, memorable final shot.

I kinda agree. That's mainly why I hope they don't do one every episode from here on out. Feels a bit forced but the songs have been good so far so I'm not opposed to them.

Blader

That's what I feared.
Is it because of FWWM?

There's probably more of the Lodge in that episode than in FWWM. But, that episode was kind of a big deal for the story lol

I like the Cactus Blossoms song from ep 3 a lot

Well, judging from the number of tracks on the soundtrack album... (apparently 20) it's quite possible, although I hope that we're also getting that remix of American Woman on there as well (but that isn't yet available for download with the mp3 version of the album as Shadow is...)

I hope so, anyways.

I'm also interested to see if they air Part 3 and Part 4 edited together like they did Part 1 and Part 2 tomorrow. Presumably not... but we shall see.

I've listened to a bunch of podcast about the series (mainly because a bunch of my friends are doing them...)

The Brad Dukes Show, The Red Room Podcast, Twin Peaks Podcast, Twin Peaks: The Return, while also listening to the Idle Thumbs: Twin Peaks Rewatch podcast.

And I don't even normally do podcasts. It's been really interesting hearing speculation limited to only Part 1 and Part 2... but damn it all to hell I am so desperate to hear all these people reacting to Part 3 and Part 4.

Whatever my own reactions to those parts are... they're certainly much more interesting to see other people reacting to.

Roll on next week I guess!

Maligna

Banned
I've listened to a bunch of podcast about the series (mainly because a bunch of my friends are doing them...)

The Brad Dukes Show, The Red Room Podcast, Twin Peaks Podcast, Twin Peaks: The Return, while also listening to the Idle Thumbs: Twin Peaks Rewatch podcast.

And I don't even normally do podcasts. It's been really interesting hearing speculation limited to only Part 1 and Part 2... but damn it all to hell I am so desperate to hear all these people reacting to Part 3 and Part 4.

Whatever my own reactions to those parts are... they're certainly much more interesting to see other people reacting to.

Roll on next week I guess!

(Matt from the Twin Peaks podcast here)
Did you think we were fair in our criticisms of season 3? I'm afraid we're going to piss off the hardcore fans again for not immediately loving this new series.

(Matt from the Twin Peaks podcast here)
Did you think we were fair in our criticisms of season 3? I'm afraid we're going to piss off the hardcore fans again for not immediately loving this new series.

I'm only 48 minutes into it so far.

It's good to hear a diverse reaction. The only bits that make me want to slap ya'll is Bob/Doppelganger stuff.
MR C ISN'T BOB GODDAMN IT

For people hoping for more Twin Peaks like it was (and you guys are 100% right to point out that the marketing mainly seemed to promise that) I can totally see this being the reaction so far.

I didn't universally love Part 3, and I certainly don't love everything in the original series (even in the Lynch episodes)... but this is much more up my street I think, as someone who loves Twin Peaks the more lynchian it is.

I was worried that I'd be where you guys sound like you are. I'm glad I'm not.

I'm going to keep listening :)

I don't begrudge anyone for disliking the new season as long as they are keeping their mind open and are willing to revisit the show.

It's somewhat hard to judge anyway because it's designed as one long movie.

I think the approach one should take to all David Lynch is just enjoy each scene for what it is. Don't think too much about how all the parts fit together. Save that for later.

Maligna

Banned
I'm only 48 minutes into it so far.

It's good to hear a diverse reaction. The only bits that make me want to slap ya'll is Bob/Doppelganger stuff.
MR C ISN'T BOB GODDAMN IT

For people hoping for more Twin Peaks like it was (and you guys are 100% right to point out that the marketing mainly seemed to promise that) I can totally see this being the reaction so far.

I didn't universally love Part 3, and I certainly don't love everything in the original series (even in the Lynch episodes)... but this is much more up my street I think, as someone who loves Twin Peaks the more lynchian it is.

I was worried that I'd be where you guys sound like you are. I'm glad I'm not.

I'm going to keep listening :)

Thanks. Glad you're okay with our take. :)

I can see myself coming around to this new series more as we get further into it, but we just watched episodes 3&4 and my wife/co-host Mel seemed to hate them.

What's your take on the Doopleganger seeing BOB in the mirror, similar to Leland when he was possessed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom