• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twin Peaks Season 3 OT |25 Years Later...It Is Happening Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zach

I've been thinking about the meta elements of this show, especially in light of Lynch starting FWWM off with a TV being destroyed...

Spoilers for all 4 parts:

First there's the fact that a young guy is forced to watch a glass box that does nothing for an extended period of time, and has to have his complete attention on it.
The pace of this season is slow, which is somewhat parallel to this. On top of this, we have the knowledge that a millionaire funded the box, much like how Showtime funded the show. Then, when he has a girl over and they start getting frisky instead of watching... they're murdered. Lynch feels pretty passionately about there being a 'right' way to approach watching film (his commentary on watching a movie on a cellphone) so this adds to that idea.
The message here seems to be "you need to pay attention and appreciate the slow moments".

Love it. Thanks for your thoughts.

Anyone else struggling to watch other shows in this post NuPeaks world?

I've loved Better Call Saul this year, but I didn't enjoy the latest episode at all. And I haven't even tried American Gods this week (I loved the book when I read it a decade or so ago).

I've loved Better Call Saul this year, but I didn't enjoy the latest episode at all. And I haven't even tried American Gods this week (I loved the book when I read it a decade or so ago).

I can't bring myself to watch the last episodes of American God's or Fargo yet. Not really for any reason but that I just can't bring myself to be interested. I want nothing but Twin Peaks at this time.

I've loved Better Call Saul this year, but I didn't enjoy the latest episode at all.
Yeah, BCS is (was?) hands down my favorite show currently airing, but I'm still not sure if this week's episode was just a little weak (tho the ending of the episode was superb) or if TP ruined it for me. I think the episode just wasn't as good as the last two (but still top notch IMO.)

I can't bring myself to watch the last episodes of American God's or Fargo yet. Not really for any reason but that I just can't bring myself to be interested. I want nothing but Twin Peaks at this time.

This is me too. I can watch comedy but prestige drama while I'm in the peaks fever isn't doing much for me at all.

Elchele

I've been thinking about the meta elements of this show, especially in light of Lynch starting FWWM off with a TV being destroyed...

Spoilers for all 4 parts:

First there's the fact that a young guy is forced to watch a glass box that does nothing for an extended period of time, and has to have his complete attention on it.
The pace of this season is slow, which is somewhat parallel to this. On top of this, we have the knowledge that a millionaire funded the box, much like how Showtime funded the show. Then, when he has a girl over and they start getting frisky instead of watching... they're murdered. Lynch feels pretty passionately about there being a 'right' way to approach watching film (his commentary on watching a movie on a cellphone) so this adds to that idea.
The message here seems to be "you need to pay attention and appreciate the slow moments".

The feel of the show in general is off from the original, but at times it comes back.
This happens especially during Bobby's moment staring at Laura's picture. We get the melodrama. We get the love theme. It all seems rather out of place at this point though.
It's in contrast to a Twin Peaks where there's no emotional music playing all of the time. To me it almost felt like a big FU to nostalgia. Bobby just needed a minute to get over it.
Of course... then we get the quirky as hell Wally Brando scene...

I'm sure there are more examples that I'm not thinking about at the moment, but it seems like Lynch and Frost are really operating on a meta-level with a lot of this. In some ways it seems like they're directly addressing the expectations and the fanbase, and at times even poking fun at them. I'm not sure if there's some bigger thematic purpose for that though, or if it's just another aspect of the show.

ha! nice.
Still I think the "monster" shows up because they are about to have sex. The things in the lodge are attracted to fear and desires of the flesh (sex).

I don't enjoy other television, this revival is the first time I've sat down and actually watched live television in around 8 years. There are other shows I've liked but they're either long finished or have stuck around long enough to become terrible.

I've probably missed this discussion, but we have logically
attributed the electricity theme to the tree, right
? I mean that seems to be a running theme through the whole thing so far and so it feels like it's all
"stemming" from the tree

? I mean that seems to be a running theme through the whole thing so far and so it feels like it's all
"stemming" from the tree

I'm not sure if we can really say if it's something involving The Arm, but the electricity in general and it involving transportation between these worlds has been a theme since FWWM at least.

Blader

"stemming" from the tree

Electricity seems to be a Black Lodge thing in general. I can't remember if it was a thing in the original series, but there was a lot of electric humming and buzzing associated with the Lodge spirits in FWWM.

I like Fargo. But very few shows on TV appeal lately.

Mark Frost is still co-writer though.

If Cole suddenly starts saying A small Mexican Chi-WOW-WOW, or if people start randomly saying "The Owls aren't what they seem", by all means complain away. But the visual aspect with things like Cooper's reaction to coffee and giving a thumbs up, and by all intentions showing signs of being Cooper....you're insane.

I was half expecting Cooper to say "New Shoes" when he lost his shoes if he got new shoes, and that would for sure be fan service, but I feel like it'd be so minor and small I would have absolutely loved it.

Maligna

Banned
I just released my podcast reviewing the first two episodes.

Overall I liked it, but my cohosts and I aren't nearly as glowing as other reviewers I've read/heard. So if you have some concerns about the new season, perhaps you'll like our take.

http://twinpeakspodcast.blogspot.ca/2017/05/episode-49-return-part-01-has-been.html

We're back again!

After 25 (27?) years Twin Peaks has finally returned, and it looks very different than it did before. Do the hosts like this new direction, or are some of them seeing red? Take a listen and find out if the wait was worth it.

nachum00

If Cole suddenly starts saying A small Mexican Chi-WOW-WOW, or if people start randomly saying "The Owls aren't what they seem", by all means complain away. But the visual aspect with things like Cooper's reaction to coffee and giving a thumbs up, and by all intentions showing signs of being Cooper....you're insane.

I was half expecting Cooper to say "New Shoes" when he lost his shoes if he got new shoes, and that would for sure be fan service, but I feel like it'd be so minor and small I would have absolutely loved it.
Oh I ain't one to complain about any fanservice that may or may not show up. Just pointing out that Lynch isn't the only creative mind behind Twin Peaks.

The wait for episode 5 continues.

giphy.gif

Does anyone in the UK know when Sky is airing the episodes? Will they always be live or was that just the premiere?

Sky Atlantic is simulcasting every episode, at least in the UK. So every episode should be up on their catch-up/NowTV services immediately after to watch later in the morning.

So if you have some concerns about the new season, perhaps you'll like our take.]

It can't be worse than some of the takes I've seen in a couple of YouTube reviews with lines like "There's no iconic moments I feel could be turned into a meme on tumblr" or "It seems more inspired by American Horror Story".

Maligna

Banned
Twin Peaks Podcast finally put their first episode out.

Good to hear that Nance quote again finally.

Hey, that's me! :p

Sorry, I intended to put it out yesterday but I caught the flu from my niece.

- Matt

It can't be worse than some of the takes I've seen in a couple of YouTube reviews with lines like "There's no iconic moments I feel could be turned into a meme on tumblr" or "It seems more inspired by American Horror Story".

Hmm, yeah I don't think we get quite that cynical.

Hey, that's me! :p

Sorry, I intended to put it out yesterday but I caught the flu from my niece.

- Matt

Hmm, yeah I don't think we get quite that cynical.

Awesome, guess I should have seen that a couple posts up.

I actually came out of the episodes expecting you guys not to be in love with it going by how you guys reacted to the movies as opposed to the show.

I'm not sure if we can really say if it's something involving The Arm, but the electricity in general and it involving transportation between these worlds has been a theme since FWWM at least.

Electricity seems to be a Black Lodge thing in general. I can't remember if it was a thing in the original series, but there was a lot of electric humming and buzzing associated with the Lodge spirits in FWWM.

Yeah, it was also a theme in Eraserhead. When we got to that box and it focused on it with the electrical humming I was like oh boy here we go.

Maligna

Banned
Awesome, guess I should have seen that a couple posts up.

I actually came out of the episodes expecting you guys not to be in love with it going by how you guys reacted to the movies as opposed to the show.

It was definitely not at all what I wanted or expected. But now that I know what it is, I'm not as disappointed when I go back and watch it again.

It was just about getting over those initial expectations that had been building for so long.

It was definitely not at all what I wanted or expected. But now that I know what it is, I'm not as disappointed when I go back and watch it again.

It was just about getting over those initial expectations that had been building for so long.

Not sure if you guys have watched ahead at all yet, but I'd definitely say you get more of what you guys expected from the 4th episode.

I'm pretty sure Showtime wanted to put out to that episode almost for that reason.

Maligna

Banned
Not sure if you guys have watched ahead at all yet, but I'd definitely say you get more of what you guys expected from the 4th episode.

I'm pretty sure Showtime wanted to put out to that episode almost for that reason.

I've heard episode 4 gets a little back on track to what Twin Peaks used to be. I'm looking forward to it.

Although, even if the tone lightens up, if it doesn't take place in the town of Twin Peaks it will still never really be the same.

Seems we get about 5-10% of each episode taking place in the town itself.

Blader

I'm way way WAY more interested in Coop's journey and everything that that entails -- from the lodge to the doppelganger to
Gordon and Albert's investigation
. So the new season is so far completely delivering for me. Dropping in on Twin Peaks and seeing the old characters from time to time is nice, but (with the exceptions of the relevant bits, like Hawk) are ultimately diversions from what the biggest hook for me is.

I've heard episode 4 gets a little back on track to what Twin Peaks used to be. I'm looking forward to it.

Although, even if the tone lightens up, if it doesn't take place in the town of Twin Peaks it will still never really be the same.

I expect this will become less of an issue the deeper we get into the season. Frost said the story is set up in multiple places around the country, but will ultimately all come together. I'm assuming that means this is an "all roads lead to Twin Peaks" journey.

Maligna

Banned
I expect this will become less of an issue the deeper we get into the season. Frost said the story is set up in multiple places around the country, but will ultimately all come together. I'm assuming that means this is an "all roads lead to Twin Peaks" journey.

That's what I'm hoping. Hope it's not just for the last episode or whatever. I'd like to spend at least 50% of the season there. It's the name of the show after all.

I'm way way WAY more interested in Coop's journey and everything that that entails -- from the lodge to the doppelganger to
Gordon and Albert's investigation
. So the new season is so far completely delivering for me. Dropping in on Twin Peaks and seeing the old characters from time to time is nice, but (with the exceptions of the relevant bits, like Hawk) are ultimately diversions from what the biggest hook for me is.

Agreed. If the show never goes back to wacky soap opera antics ever again, it will be too soon.

I kind of look at it as a bridge for the 25 years to now. I don't think Lynch would be happy just finding a way for it all to get back to TP after 2 hours or not fully getting a grasp of how things have possibly progressed or widened in the 25 years. It will all converge to Twin Peaks were just seeing the set up.

Don't fault you guys for not loving it at all. You guys fell in love with Twin Peaks. I more fell in love with Mulholland Drive then came into Twin Peaks so I'm loving every second lol.

Turin

Banned
I'm not a big Lynch fan and only checked out Twin Peaks because it had a good word of mouth and it's been said that there'd be no Hannibal or True Detective Season 1 without Twin Peaks.

Liked the goofy show a lot but FWWM was actually more up my ally. The current seasons insanity has me downright giddy.

TheCool69

Neo Member
Enjoyed the new episodes.. was confused about Lucy.. i remember that se was little foolish in a good way on the ole series.

But now she is rolling her eyes and acting like she has brain damage.

Did i miss something??

Maligna

Banned
Enjoyed the new episodes.. was confused about Lucy.. i remember that se was little foolish in a good way on the ole series.

But now she is rolling her eyes and acting like she has brain damage.

Did i miss something??

I agree. I think her characterization is a bit off.

Fantastic new interview with Lynch for EW

Some choice parts:

My experience of the show, after four parts, is similar to the subplot in Part 1, where the young lovers grow a monstrous entity inside a giant glass box, then get killed by it. It's fascinating watching it slowly take shape and form, and occasionally, it bursts through the glass and blows my mind away.

Well, that's good!

Were you trying to give the audience an allegory for TV-watching or how to watch the show?

No. But that's an interesting way to think about it.

It seems, though, that the world you're presenting outside of Twin Peaks is a place gone bad due to the roaming spirit of this evil Cooper. What are we calling this character, by the way? I'm calling him Dirty Cooper.

I just call him Cooper's doppelgänger. You're allowed to call him whatever you want.

One of the images of evil I'm speaking about was the man in the jail cell who seemed caked in mud or burnt to a crisp and contorted in agony. He seemed to be attending the misery of accused murderer Bill. We saw him turn to vapor and his head floated away. Was there a specific inspiration for that?

That's an example of what I'm talking about. An image came; it was all about translating. And by the way, about that guy, you just keep watching.

On the focus on other cities in relation to Twin Peaks proper:

Given how much of the story that's happening right now is taking place in other cities, I was curious to know if these scenes set in Twin Peaks are meant to serve more as a bass line, or at least, an indication or promise to the audience that eventually, we'll be getting here.

No. It's not like an anchor like that. Twin Peaks a place that is, um, super important to what's going on. [Laughs]

On the Arm:

There's a very strange new character in the Black Lodge, a talking tree, an evolution of The Man From Another Place, also known as the Arm (Michael J. Anderson, who did not return for the new series).

Yes. Necessity is the mother of invention.

The head on top — is it a talking brain, pituitary gland, or neuron?

It's just a head.

It looks like a brain to me.

It's just a head.

lol. Kinda spoilers for part 4 below:

There are scenes in the first four parts involving tender moments with the Log Lady (Catherine Coulson) and Albert Rosenfield (Miguel Ferrer) that are even more poignant knowing the actors have since passed away.

I fell in love with Albert on this trip through Twin Peaks, and I just loved working with Miguel. This relationship between my character, Gordon Cole, and Albert is so important to the story. Now knowing that he's gone, I'm even more grateful we did this and it was captured on film. It's just really sad he's gone. And I've known Catherine since 1971, and I see her on the screen, and it's... well, it just doesn't seem right that she's not here.

Gordon comes on strong in Part 4. He steals the show for me.

Well, the actor who portrays Gordon is awfully good. But talk to Sabrina about him. He's a pain the ass! [Executive producer Sabrina MacFarlane, in another room, yells: ”He's really high maintenance!"

I love this man. More at the link.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom