• Register
  • TOS
  • Privacy
  • @NeoGAF

Cpt Lmao
(09-12-2017, 02:25 PM)

Originally Posted by EhoaVash

It's a busy season. Only the cream of the crop shall get played

I can't imagine there will be many new games that will outscore 88 over the remainder of the year.

Mario Odyssey, Xenoblade 2..?

That might be it actually, what else is coming out this year?
JonnyDBrit
Nice to see reviews like this. Been interested in the game for sure - it'd be my first Metroid if I pick it up.

Happy for Mercury Steam too. This was clearly a passion project for them - they had pitched a Fusion remake after all - and so to be rewarded with this kind of acclaim, and hopefully good sales, should be encouraging for their future.

Between this, Rabbids, and Hyrule Warriors, Nintendo's got plenty of evidence that loaning their IPs to third party partners works.
BanjoLayleeYookaKazooie

Originally Posted by nynt9

No? Calm down. Don't freak out because I didn't use the praise words you approve of. I didn't mean fine as a backhanded compliment. It's a good thing.

Well it's hard to tell here sometimes, I know it too well as I was castigated for deciding on passing on Knack 2 in its thread the other day due to one review and was told that game's reception was 'glowing'.

It's all good :)
tolkir
(09-12-2017, 02:26 PM)

Originally Posted by OfficerRaichu15

Up to 88 on metacritic after 24 reviews.

OrbitalBeard

This highlights my fears about the combat:

"There's also something off about how Samus Returns folds in some of the more combat-heavy leanings of Other M - that most divisive of Metroids - into this remake. Samus now has a free aim, and is reliant on counter attacks that open up the defences of enemies. The problem is how a majority of enemies require that counter in order to be dealt with, leading to a staccato rhythm to the action as you're constantly stopped in your tracks for such one-note encounters. It's all counter to the free-form exploration that the rest of Samus Returns dictates, and it's not helped by a slight sloppiness that can be felt in the controls."

Honestly, I don't necessarily trust a lot of reviewers to hone in on what makes combat good/bad, so I'll have to see for myself. Always thought adding more combat to metroid was an extraneous idea.

At least it's nice to hear the game is overall fine.

Jeremy Parish of Retronauts had the same criticism. I don't think it'll bother me too much in the end, but it's a legitimate concern for longtime Metroid fans.
Smellycat
I am glad this one is getting good reviews. Back on track :)
Moz La Punk
Hallo ich bin Karl.
Ich fixe deine Kabel.

Originally Posted by Servbot24

For healthy series, yes.

At this point in Metroid's life the best thing for it is to simply get its feet underneath it again. Another OM-like misstep would have been disastrous.

Agreed. Leave the risk taking for Metroid Prime 4. This is a return to form!

That sounds better, thanks.

YW!
J@hranimo
Banned
EhoaVash is not worth the responses.

Damn, now I gotta pick this up too but I'm not done with Mario+Rabbids yet! D:
Moz La Punk
Hallo ich bin Karl.
Ich fixe deine Kabel.
(09-12-2017, 02:27 PM)
By the way, what I wouldn't give for a Switch-port down the line ;)
balladofwindfishes

Originally Posted by Majine

Ugh, I despise this kind of thinking.

I want games to take risks, damn it!

Releasing a new Metroid game in 2017, developed by a no name developer, is actually kind of a huge risk.

Had this failed, and was another Other M, it very well might have killed the series.
theaffection

Originally Posted by Cpt Lmao

I can't imagine there will be many new games that will outscore 88 over the remainder of the year.

PUBG on Xbox One
BassForever
Metroid is back baby :D
wwm0nkey
(09-12-2017, 02:28 PM)

Originally Posted by Moz La Punk

By the way, what I wouldn't give for a Switch-port down the line ;)

If it doesn't happen I hope Citra can run it at some point so I can dump my cart and play it
Cow Mengde
Banned
(09-12-2017, 02:29 PM)
I want 2.5D Metroid Prime 4!!!!
Moz La Punk
Hallo ich bin Karl.
Ich fixe deine Kabel.
(09-12-2017, 02:29 PM)

Originally Posted by wwm0nkey

If it doesn't happen I hope Citra can run it at some point so I can dump my cart and play it

The Pro Controller would be perfect for it. It would end one of my biggest critisisms, that the control of the game on 3DS is just a TAD unprecise and the 3DS doesn't have enough buttons for the many moves.
FunkyDealer
Banned
(09-12-2017, 02:30 PM)
Congratulations to MercurySteam!

Hopefully this means they'll get to continue this interesting partnership and make a sidescrolling Metroid for Switch.
wwm0nkey

Originally Posted by Moz La Punk

The Pro Controller would be perfect for it. It would end one of my biggest critisisms, that the control of the game on 3DS is just a TAD unprecise and the 3DS doesn't have enough buttons for the many moves.

Well Prime 4 is a ways out, maybe they will do a HD version on Switch before that comes out if this sells well enough (I am sure it will)
Porcile
The folks at MercurySteam must be feeling real good right now. Well deserved.
Vampirolol
(09-12-2017, 02:31 PM)

Originally Posted by FunkyDealer

Congratulations to MercurySteam!

Hopefully this means they'll get to continue this interesting partnership and make a sidescrolling Metroid for Switch.

I hope so, they earned it. I can see myself playing this over and over.
Mr Swine
Banned
(09-12-2017, 02:32 PM)
Bu..but Sakamoto has destroyed Metroid! Mercurysteam are bad devs! This was supposed to suck!

Joking aside I'm so freaking glad that Metroid is back with great review scores!
Cpt Lmao
(09-12-2017, 02:33 PM)

Originally Posted by theaffection

PUBG on Xbox One

Isn't that already out on PC? Is that definitely coming out on Xbox One this year? Will it be polished enough to surpass 88?
NotLiquid
(09-12-2017, 02:33 PM)
The ball is in Nintendo's court now.

If Metroid Prime 4 ends up good we'll be looking at a bonafide Metroid renaissance.
Moose84
(09-12-2017, 02:34 PM)

Originally Posted by Duffk1ng

IGNs review actually reads a little more positive than the score suggests IMO.

The review is very positive but I think IGN are being less generous with scores in general these days, which is probably a good thing. Now if they can just go with a 10 point scale...
plagiarize
Banned
(09-12-2017, 02:35 PM)

Originally Posted by NotLiquid

The ball is in Nintendo's court now.

If Metroid Prime 4 ends up good we'll be looking at a bonafide Metroid renaissance.

It goddamn better.

I never had any doubt about this game though, after the reveal and first hands on demos during the E3 Treehouse stream.
Schucky Ducky
Banned
(09-12-2017, 02:35 PM)

Happy to see that Metroid is back!
Yukinari
(09-12-2017, 02:36 PM)
It feels very satisfying to read the IGN review purposely calling out Fed Force and Other M as the wrong turn of the franchise.

Im glad someone on these sites gets it.
Exterminieren
Banned
Sounds good, although the Eurogamer review's got me adjusting my expectations slightly.

Still glad to have a decent 2D Metroid to play. :)
Jonneh3003
Banned

Originally Posted by Yukinari

It feels very satisfying to read the IGN review purposely calling out Fed Force and Other M as the wrong turn of the franchise.

Im glad someone on these sites gets it.

Isn't that how everyone feels?
emag
(09-12-2017, 02:37 PM)
Can I play the physical cart on a soft-modded 3DS? Is the game significantly better on a new 3DS (vs OG)?

Originally Posted by VOOK

Our review: http://www.vooks.net/metroid-samus-returns-3ds-review/

"the game is a feast, if not slightly uninspired"

No, that's not how that construct works. "X is Y, if not Z" is saying "X might not reach the level of Z, but it's definitely at least Y."
KayMote
(09-12-2017, 02:37 PM)
I'm really surprised by the game's length. I don't think it took me more than 6-7 hours to finish a 2D Metroid on the very first playthrough.
The Iron Weasel
(09-12-2017, 02:38 PM)
Pre-ordered, Amazon.ca still isn't showing a delivery date after a week. Hoping it'll be release date delivery.
Jonneh3003
Banned

Originally Posted by KayMote

I'm really surprised by the game's length. I don't think it took me more than 6-7 hours to finish a 2D Metroid on the very first playthrough.

My first playthrough lasted 6 hours and 50 minutes whereas 100% took just under 12 hours.
Neiteio
Me after Eurogamer review: larrydavidnotsure.gif

Me after Easy Allies review: disgunbgud.gif
Yukinari
(09-12-2017, 02:39 PM)

Originally Posted by Jonneh3003

Isn't that how everyone feels?

There have been so many vehement defenders of both games on sites including Gaf that im glad a major review site weighed in on it.
KayMote

My first playthrough lasted 6 hours and 50 minutes whereas 100% took just under 12 hours.

That sounds more like what to expect from a 2D Metroid. Thanks for the clarification!
DJwest

Originally Posted by theaffection

MercurySteam detractors took the L for this one

I'm really happy for them!
Nemesis_
As someone who has finished the game, the counters are a little bit jarring in the opening of the game. When you're running around with powerful weapons and you might miss an enemy or two the counter represents a fantastic opportunity to fight back against enemies you might have missed while running and gunning.

I guess the best way to put it is that it takes some getting used to.
TheDarkKnight774
(09-12-2017, 02:40 PM)

Originally Posted by Neiteio

Me after Eurogamer review: larrydavidnotsure.gif

Me after Easy Allies review: disgunbgud.gif

My game tastes line up with Ben Moore a lot. So this is a no brainer
ToonLink
Awesome reviews. Can't wait for my Legacy Edition to ship.

Unless it doesn't for some reason... either way, can't wait to play this game.
Jonneh3003
Banned

Originally Posted by Yukinari

There have been so many vehement defenders of both games on sites including Gaf that im glad a major review site weighed in on it.

I enjoyed attributes of Other M and Federation Force but even if I didn't hate them I don't have any trouble saying that they've brought down the quality of the franchise. Samus Returns brings it back.
maxcriden
(09-12-2017, 02:41 PM)
Anyone know of the game runs any worse on an OG 3DS?
Jonneh3003
Banned
(09-12-2017, 02:41 PM)

Originally Posted by maxcriden

Anyone know of the game runs any worse on an OG 3DS?

I played on OG 3DS and performance was consistent. Nothing bad to say!
Nemesis_
(09-12-2017, 02:42 PM)

I don't want to point this out specifically but the 3DS Play Time app thing says a different time to what the game says.

My first playthrough lasted 10ish hours and my 100% was closer to 18. The game itself reported lower speeds / times than what I actually played.

And no, I didn't leave my 3DS lying around without playing.
Lights and Waves
(09-12-2017, 02:42 PM)
These reviews are wonderful. Can't wait to play it!
Dark Cloud
(09-12-2017, 02:43 PM)
Great reviews all around! I have the game preordered to get day 1.
Moz La Punk
Hallo ich bin Karl.
Ich fixe deine Kabel.
(09-12-2017, 02:44 PM)

Originally Posted by Nemesis_

I don't want to point this out specifically but the 3DS Play Time app thing says a different time to what the game says.

My first playthrough lasted 10ish hours and my 100% was closer to 18. The game itself reported lower speeds / times than what I actually played.

And no, I didn't leave my 3DS lying around without playing.

Exactly. 6 hours? Don't want to doubt the poster that said that but damn, couldn't imagine that on my first playthough.
FelipeMGM

Originally Posted by Cpt Lmao

South Park and Wolfenstein II maybe? Those are really promising
zooL
What a beautiful day! 😭
maxcriden

I played on OG 3DS and performance was consistent. Nothing bad to say!

Awesome, thank you!