• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sucker Punch, can you get rid of Delsin's stupid hat-beanie... thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is why 90% of video game protagonists are just bland and shitty characters. Developers are so afraid to make a protagonist that could in any way offend or disrupt the fantasy of inhibiting a perfect character, that they deliberately make every character some amalgamation of "cool, perfect, and likeable action hero", or "anti hero badass" in order to fulfill some player fantasy. No where is this more telling than the reception to Connor in AC3. Here we have a character who actually feels like a human; has flaws, is naive, brash at times, etc. But because he's not as "likable" as Ezio people hate him and say he's a bad character, when he's actually one of the more nuanced and interesting protagonists I've played in a game.

Just imagine if Michael Corleone was a video game protagonist. "Like wtf, why is this douche so unlikable. He gets angry and hits his wife, what a dick." I'm usually open minded about people's opinions on video games, but some seriously need to grow up when it comes to evaluating video game protagonists. I've grown so tired of hearing the words "likable" and "unlikable" as some end all metric when evaluating a protagonist.

Hey man.

I liked Connor. I wanted to play as him again, but nooooooooo we're gonna be a Welsh pirate now.

Which is also okay, I guess. I did really like Connor. Fuck Desmond though.

Also, I like Deslin. I just don't like his hat. Important distinction.

Toxi

Banned
Huh, I didn't realize Delsin was Native American.

I think he looks like a douchebag, but that's okay. We have an entire game for him to grow into a bigger douchebag or a sombrero-wearing hero.

(We need more sombreros)

Gbraga

I like it and I hope they keep it. I lost pretty boy Cole but that made sense for people to complain, but it is my turn now.

If they wanna change the way he looks, just make him full Troy Baker.

I like Delsin's design. It's one of the more "real life" designs I've seen. What I mean is that he's dressed how a normal person would dress in real life.

The beanie is like those ugly hats in Pokemon X/Y that you can't take off. Ironically, the beanies are the only hats I can tolerate in that game

TaroYamada

I agree that the hat is stupid looking but my opinion shouldn't factor into Sucker Punch's decision on the basis that I won't own a PS4 anyways. Also make a new Sly Cooper, that should factor into your future decision making.

fvng

What's the worst one?

the recent one about changing game titles to have the word butt which reeks of the immature high schoolers meme

3cc.jpg

Cheska

Do we remember the last time a beanie was removed off a character Troy Baker voiced? The results weren't pretty..

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Beanie is fine, it's the denim vest I don't really like, I'd rather he just have a regular leather jacket on or something. But even then I think his design is pretty great, it has personality.

the recent one about changing game titles to have the word butt which reeks of the immature high schoolers meme

Clearly you missed the point of that thread, which was just to lighten up the mood since there was high tension on the forums.

The Lamp

This game has received many stupid complaints.

Seriously. What is with the InFAMOUS series and stupid complaints by the fanbase? Hair? Hats? Pants? I've heard it all since Cole in I2.

Play the game Sucker Punch wants to you to play with the protagonist they designed damn it.

I shave my head and my head is too large for most fitted hats. Beanies are really the only viable alternative to keeping my head warm. Haters can shove it.

KlotePino

Reading this forum can be so fatiguing sometimes...If you honestly think developers should be taking complaints like this into account because it doesn't fit your taste we should have a serious talk about priorities.

sappyday

You know, if Delsin plays in a Nirvana cover band, his appearance is totally justified and acceptable.
It's already obvious with the inclusion of the song that they had the whole grunge scene in mind when designing Delsin and probably the world too.

watership

This game has received many stupid complaints.

I don't think hating the main characters face and hat is a stupid complaint when you have to look at it all the time in gameplay and cutscenes. The game looks AMAZING. I love them particles.

But I hate his face with the passion of 1000 suns. Not a stupid complaint at all.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
It's already obvious with the inclusion of the song that they had the whole grunge scene in mind when designing Delsin and probably the world too.

No, no, I don't mean that if he's involved in the grunge scene it makes sense. I mean, specifically if he's in a band that plays only Nirvana covers. I completely understand his character if that's the case. In fact, they might have to douche it up a bit more to really match that sort of backstory.

Let's hope they don't cave in to fan complaints about the beanie as they did when they changed Cole's look for inFamous 2... the new design they had for Cole was way better... and i also happen to dig Delsin's look... i say let him keep the beanie.

vulcanM3CH_187

Neo Member
I find it really annoying when people complain about such minor things, and then turn around AND complain that developers are not being creative enough or that we are not seeing a lot of creativity in games. Let the developers make the games and don't dictate creative decisions for them. Ironically this is very much akin to when we complain that suits are running game studios and stifling creativity. We as gamers are doing the same by trying to dictate to developers, artists, level designers, animators and programmers on how to do their craft.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom