• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sucker Punch, can you get rid of Delsin's stupid hat-beanie... thing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dinjooh

We've discussed this before - and our results were:

3vYgSh4.jpg

This is what happens when you let a vocal minority impact your development decisions.

Do whatever you want Sucker Punch, new Cole looked better than old Cole and Delsin looks better than either of them.

Jarate

Banned
people who complain about this is beyond me

maybe the main character is supposed to be an annoying twat to begin the game, because of something called character growth. Plus it's not like they're taking a well established character and turning it into that, it's a brand new character being presented. Plus, it's not like it's something that someone wouldn't wear today or in the future.

People who complain about this shit deserve bald space marines in every game. Let the artists do their job, and sit back and judge whether the character is good or not after the game is done.

KoopaTheCasual

...or in this case, culturally-ambiguous white guys.

This game generates many hilarious complaints. Last week a guy said he couldn't understand the art decision behind making Seattle foggy in so many scenes. Seriously.

The funny thing is he's part Native American. I really dig the strange background and design of Delsin. Feels very natural and organic. He doesn't have to be super cool armor or perfect hair dude. He can be grimy, biracial, young adult guy.

Sucker punch should be able to do with its characters whatever the fuck it wants. The whole Cole redesign reversal with I2 really bothered me - whiny players deciding a developers design decisions.

Muffdraul

After what happened with Infamous 2, I will never complain to Suckerpunch about their character designs ever again. We could have gotten a mildly annoying looking character, but after we bitched about it we ended up with a guy that looked like some kind of bloated foetus, or a clone that wasn't quite finished developing yet.

If they do get rid of the guy's beanie, they'll probably replace it with a top hat, or a rainbow wig.

maybe the main character is supposed to be an annoying twat to begin the game, because of something called character growth. Plus it's not like they're taking a well established character and turning it into that, it's a brand new character being presented. Plus, it's not like it's something that someone wouldn't wear today or in the future.

People who complain about this shit deserve bald space marines in every game. Let the artists do their job, and sit back and judge whether the character is good or not after the game is done.

Oh, you know what, this is good.

So at the beginning, Delsin's a total dick, right? But as he grows in character, he comes to terms with his selfishness and character flaws and begins to believe in a higher ideal. He believes that he must become the hero that this city deserves. There's an uber-dramatic scene where he stands on a skyscraper and sees a burning city, a city in chaos that needs a champion to save it... and he takes off his beanie and tosses it away before jumping into the fray to be the hero he was always destined to be. It's an important life-changing moment. The hat represents his selfishness and adolescence, his narcissistic rebellion. But when it comes time to for the true hero to be revealed, he no longer cares about the way he looks, but the way he acts.

Ohhhhhhhhhh, I got it, Sucker Punch. You sly dogs. You did this shit on purpose. Oh yeah. Yeah, I see where this is going.

You know what, keep that hat. I get where you guys are going with this. Clever.

The funny thing is he's part Native American. I really dig the strange background and design of Delsin. Feels very natural and organic. He doesn't have to be super cool armor or perfect hair dude. He can be grimy, biracial, young adult guy.

I know. That was the entire point of my post, and the subject of my conversation with the other posters, Crafty and Kade.

Empty

i agree but i do have an irrational hatred of beanies

people say that delsin is hot but the beanie kills it dead.

oh well. hopefully it suits his character.

synce

Seriously my only problem with this series is the main character always looks like a douche. Otherwise the gameplay seems fun from the demo I tried

Troy Baker generic douche confirmed?

TBH, I just hate these hats with a passion. I've hated them since I was a little kid (I'm 38) and they had little puff balls on top. This isn't some recent development for me. Won't stop me from playing the game but it will annoy me throughout.

This game has received many stupid complaints.

Really getting desperate around here ...

we found something dumber than wobble-gate

Second worst thread of the year. What the fuck GAF

If anyone at SP happens to be reading this. Ignore OP and keep the beanie.

you can't always get what you want

NO ONE CARES

I swear, the dumb shit I've seen people complain about.

Particularly with this game.

What a stupid thread.

Let's let them decide. They know what they're doing.

srsly.

Scrabble

This is why 90% of video game protagonists are just bland and shitty characters. Developers are so afraid to make a protagonist that could in any way offend or disrupt the fantasy of inhibiting a perfect character, that they deliberately make every character some amalgamation of "cool, perfect, and likeable action hero", or "anti hero badass" in order to fulfill some player fantasy. No where is this more telling than the reception to Connor in AC3. Here we have a character who actually feels like a human; has flaws, is naive, brash at times, etc. But because he's not as "likable" as Ezio people hate him and say he's a bad character, when he's actually one of the more nuanced and interesting protagonists I've played in a game.

Just imagine if Michael Corleone was a video game protagonist. "Like wtf, why is this douche so unlikable. He gets angry and hits his wife, what a dick." I'm usually open minded about people's opinions on video games, but some seriously need to grow up when it comes to evaluating video game protagonists. I've grown so tired of hearing the words "likable" and "unlikable" as some end all metric when evaluating a protagonist.

UrbanRats

Wearing a beanie = Annoying twat.

What? I can understand the awkwardness of something as anachronistic as a fedora, but a beanie?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom