• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone SE |OT| A Dazzling Display of Common Sense (again)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I jumped ship and got myself a iPhone SE 32GB rose gold. Went from a Galaxy s7 Edge.

Oh how I missed iOS. Still the best smartphone OS there is. I hope Apple returns to this design in the future cause it's so classy.

Only the camera is not as good, but I knew that beforehand.

Please make a SE2 with edge to edge screen.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
SE AT&T $200 at Best Buy but can someone explain the meaning of this "prepaid"

also that color is kinda ugly in the back idk.. I just want something to hold me over until the 8
Prepaid means you pay less month to month, but "full" price for the phone (Or whatever the sale is) unsubsidized, but you have no contract. Like Virgin is prepaid. Boost Mobile is prepaid. AT&T of course has a prepaid plan. Plan prices vary from carrier to carrier. (I'm on Virgin and it's $35 a month, $30 with automatic top-up. And I get 5GB LTE a month and unlimited text and talk.) Basically you aren't locked into a contract. You can jump ship at any time and not pay anything. Switch phones at any time and not have to wait for an upgrade period or pay an early fee.

But depending on the carrier, the service might not be as good. It varies from carrier to carrier.

emag

Er... pre-paid phone plans are those in which you pay for service before you use it (sometimes with a certain amount of credit/minutes, sometimes monthly) rather than being billed after (post-paid). Pre-paid plans are typically more limited than post-paid plans and are meant for people with poor credit.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prepay_mobile_phone

(Edit: For further clarification, post-paid plans with the big US providers do not require long-term contracts or offer discounted phones. And with those providers, post-paid plans are generally less-expensive than pre-paid plans with unlimited data, and much less expensive when considering family plans. The only truly consistent difference between pre-paid and post-paid is right there in the name: pay before use vs. pay after use.)

I'm an ATT subscriber can I buy that and just make it a regular phone with my account ?

maybe swap the SIM cards or something? I don't know anything about that

Ovid

Er... pre-paid phone plans are those in which you pay for service before you use it (sometimes with a certain amount of credit/minutes, sometimes monthly) rather than being billed after (post-paid). Pre-paid plans are typically more limited than post-paid plans and are meant for people with poor credit.

Or...for smart people with great credit that only want to pay for what they use.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior

Or...for smart people with great credit that only want to pay for what they use.
Yeah. I have great credit but I use prepaid because I like not being locked in. And there's no limits over here. I still get the same service as Sprint users would and pay less per month. I pay more for the phone, but it's a trade-off I'm happy to make.

Nyx

Just renewed my subscription with Vodafone and got the SE 32GB as a new phone, coming from an iPhone 5 it seemed like the best choice for me as I definitely don't want a bigger phone.

Another plus is that I'm going to pay 20 euros a month less and get twice the monthly data, good deal all around.

ITSMILNER

My IPhone 6 has seen better days and I need to get a new phone. I only use the IPhone for listening to music, surfing the web and the CarPlay stuff (plus texting of course)

Is this a good phone? Will it be good enough for what I want to use it for?

Lo-Volt

My IPhone 6 has seen better days and I need to get a new phone. I only use the IPhone for listening to music, surfing the web and the CarPlay stuff (plus texting of course)

Is this a good phone? Will it be good enough for what I want to use it for?

It’s a lot faster than the 6, and has more RAM on board in addition to the better processor. Fewer pixels to fill, so that helps nudge its graphics performance compared to big sister.
But if you like the size of the 6, it might be worth a demo first. I played with one and reading on it was jarring to be honest.

ITSMILNER

Cool, thanks peeps, my phone is knackered now so I need a new one straight away sadly, going to pop down Carphone warehouse tomorrow to see if I can pick one up

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Slightly random question - giving my iPhone to my son and waiting it out for the 7s/8. In the meantime in need a cheap replacement. What's the cheapest phone that'll take a nano SIM?

Guess Who

Banned
Slightly random question - giving my iPhone to my son and waiting it out for the 7s/8. In the meantime in need a cheap replacement. What's the cheapest phone that'll take a nano SIM?

If by "cheapest phone that'll take a nano SIM" you mean "an iPhone" and "without an adapter", probably a used 5 or 5C.

Galava

Bought an SE 32GB for 339€, brand new. After my 5C died, this feels like a huge upgrade, same form factor but fast af. Loving it.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
If by "cheapest phone that'll take a nano SIM" you mean "an iPhone" and "without an adapter", probably a used 5 or 5C.

Nah literally the cheapest piece of crap that'll take the sim. Hadn't considered an adapter - doh. Maybe I can use my wife's Xperia m2

ascii42

Nah literally the cheapest piece of crap that'll take the sim. Hadn't considered an adapter - doh. Maybe I can use my wife's Xperia m2

My iPhone 6 died recently and I'm using an Alcatel IdealXCite that I got for $30 from Walmart. It's one of those pay as you go phones, but you can just swap out the SIM and it works fine.

Blackhead

Redarse
Apple May Launch Galaxy Note 8-Sized iPhone With 6.4-Inch OLED Display Next Year
With reduced bezels, the overall physical sizes of the 5.85-inch and 6.46-inch iPhones could be similar to the iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus respectively.

In May, South Korean publication The Bell reported that Apple was planning to launch new iPhones with 5.28-inch and 6.46-inch OLED displays next year, but ETNews claims development of the 5.28-inch size has been abandoned.

"This is because consumers have preferred to use a large screen, and technologies such as full-screen or bezel-less have been developed that can enlarge the display while keeping the overall size of the smartphone small," it said.

The bottom line here is a second source lending support to rumors of a 6.4-inch iPhone launching next year. It might seem early in the cycle, but iPhone 8 rumors first surfaced in March 2016, nearly a year and a half ago.

:| I want a no bezel SE

Timbuktu

Would now be a stupid time to move from my 5s to an SE? I am still relatively with my almost four years old 5s, but I dropped it and the screen has cracked again. It might be me being a luddite, but I still kinda prefer the design and form factor of the 5s to the X or the latest Samsung offerings.

It would be nice if they do update the SE, but I am kinda worried that it would be given the iPhone 6/7/8 form. I would love for it to stay small and can possibly see them reducing the bezels and go with glass back for wireless charging and a return to iPhone 4 aesthetics.

Blackhead

Redarse
Would now be a stupid time to move from my 5s to an SE? I am still relatively with my almost four years old 5s, but I dropped it and the screen has cracked again. It might be me being a luddite, but I still kinda prefer the design and form factor of the 5s to the X or the latest Samsung offerings.

It would be nice if they do update the SE, but I am kinda worried that it would be given the iPhone 6/7/8 form. I would love for it to stay small and can possibly see them reducing the bezels and go with glass back for wireless charging and a return to iPhone 4 aesthetics.
Do it.

I got my SE last week through the Best Buy deal except it was 149.99. I came from an iPhone 6 and I feel like this phone is way better. Perfect performance/size and a stellar price! Besides if you get the att version you can unlock it after six months. Anyone hesitating on SE deals, don't, it's an excellent buy!

Edit: and OH! That battery life. I can get through about a day and a half on a charge.

Yep. I love mine. Actually I have to take mine to the Apple store (or whatever the fuck they want us to call them now) this week before my 1 year warranty runs out. The screen on mine makes an audible ‘click’ sound whenever I press somewhat hard on it, as if it’s separated from the device itself.

I got my SE last week through the Best Buy deal except it was 149.99. I came from an iPhone 6 and I feel like this phone is way better. Perfect performance/size and a stellar price! Besides if you get the att version you can unlock it after six months. Anyone hesitating on SE deals, don't, it's an excellent buy!

$150 and you own it outright? I might do that. Coming from an iPhone5 the SE is still a big upgrade.

I'm loving mine, I'd say go for it.

My 5S is becoming unreliable, and I'm looking to upgrade. I stumbled upon this phone by chance when I was comparing 6s and 6s plus. I don't like big phones, I can use my 5s case and it supposedly has slightly better battery life than the 6s makes it very desirable to me.

Haribokart

Banned
My 5S is becoming unreliable, and I'm looking to upgrade. I stumbled upon this phone by chance when I was comparing 6s and 6s plus. I don't like big phones, I can use my 5s case and it supposedly has slightly better battery life than the 6s makes it very desirable to me. Too bad it comes only in 16gb or 64gb.
32GB & 128GB

emag

Yeah, I was reading the op and had that stuck in my head. I forgot there are more options now.

If a SE2 comes next year, what's the earliest it could release?

No idea. The SE was released entirely out of band, so there's no meaningful history to go off of. March? Not that there are no credible rumors about what an "SE2" would even be.

openrob

I've been seeing these phones go cheap and described as 5SE which seems crazy to me. Do these often do cheaper than the 6?

emag

I've been seeing these phones go cheap and described as 5SE which seems crazy to me. Do these often do cheaper than the 6?

The SE is essentially iPhone 6S internals in the body of a iPhone 5/5s. MSRP is $349, but there are all kinds of carrier-specific offers. If you prefer (or don't mind) the smaller size compared to the 6s/7/8, the SE is the obvious choice.

Vashetti

Banned
The SE is essentially iPhone 6S internals in the body of a iPhone 5/5s. MSRP is $349, but there are all kinds of carrier-specific offers. If you prefer (or don't mind) the smaller size compared to the 6s/7/8, the SE is the obvious choice.

From my understanding it also on average runs better than both 6S models because it's driving a lower resolution display.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
iPhone SE 32GB Silver for 289 Euro, should I get it?

They're £299 at currys in the UK too. Interesting because they're £349 officially - wonder if they're getting discontinued at some stores?

if the form factor suits you, get is - its a great phone and will last ages (basically a 6s in tight clothes)

febLey

They're £299 at currys in the UK too. Interesting because they're £349 officially - wonder if they're getting discontinued at some stores?

if the form factor suits you, get is - its a great phone and will last ages (basically a 6s in tight clothes)
I'm thinking about switching to iOS. I was always a huge fan of Android and I'm currently using a Nexus 5X, but I'm pretty unsatisfied with some things with Android in general. Also I do have a MacBook and I've heard that the integration between macOS and iOS is pretty good. Initially I wanted to wait for a SE2, but this seems like a good opportunity to get my feet wet with iOS and see if it fits me before dropping more bucks on a version with more storage. Maybe I'll just sell the SE if a SE2 comes out.

I got a 32gb this past week and the battery life seems pretty good so far.

What is the best practice for charging iPhones to ensure longevity? I know batteries degrade over time, but is there a way to charge it in order to keep the battery lasting as long as possible? I've seen some conflicting things online saying you should let it drain completely or that you shouldn't let it go below 10-15%, so I'd just like some clarification.

Erebus

I got a 32gb this past week and the battery life seems pretty good so far.

What is the best practice for charging iPhones to ensure longevity? I know batteries degrade over time, but is there a way to charge it in order to keep the battery lasting as long as possible? I've seen some conflicting things online saying you should let it drain completely or that you shouldn't let it go below 10-15%, so I'd just like some clarification.
  • Charge often, your battery doesn't need to run low to plug it in.
  • Don't let your battery drain completely
  • Keeping it between 40-80% is best.

RM8

I actually went from a 5C to a SE like two weeks ago. Cotdam I was using ancient technology, this thing is blazing fast and I don't want to live without touch ID again. I hope they eventually release another small iPhone with higher specs, these phones feel perfect to me.

Maedre

Banned
I actually went from a 5C to a SE like two weeks ago. Cotdam I was using ancient technology, this thing is blazing fast and I don't want to live without touch ID again. I hope they eventually release another small iPhone with higher specs, these phones feel perfect to me.

Just think about an edge to edge SE with an A11 chip! That would be a dream.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom