• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone SE |OT| A Dazzling Display of Common Sense (again)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow, I really hope the rumours are true that the SE-2 will be possibly getting released alongside the iPhone 8, or even that they will all be part of the same design, just in three size variants. I have an S7 currently and will have paid off my contract by next March and the SE is along the lines of what I want. Want pocketable, true one handed operation, great performance and battery life.

I really hope they can refine the SE. Will be awesome if it can use the same size but fit in an edge to edge screen. That would make the screen a great size without being too much. A better camera module would be appreciated, I'd rather not take a step down from the S7, hopefully. Other than that make it work as fast as the SE demo units I've tried in Apple Stores and let the battery last a full day as I believe the SE does (smaller lower res screen being the main reason I think) and I will jump on that as soon as I'm out of my contract!

I like your ideas for the SE2. 6S is great, but the small form factor and greater battery life would be welcome.

Would love to see them simply focus on having strong battery life.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I use the SE as my work phone. I already have a larger phone (Nexus 5X) for personal and did not want another large one. It's snappy and does what I need it to. It's a massive upgrade over my previous work 5c. And cheap too. Plus I get access to iMessages.

It's a really solid entry for what it is. Perfect as a secondary phone if you have the great fortune of needing to carry two phones.

KingV

perhaps helps that its a fraction of the cost of the other iphone models. I've now bought two for my family on contracts that would pretty much only get you a basic android device. They were on discounted offers but they're still great value.

This is a big reason I'm considering one for my next iPhone. Also that I just want a one hand phone again.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Now that I'm on my last few days of vacation, I'm getting ready to put down my 7+ and return to my SE model. I miss it a ton. Too bad it lacks the better camera and force touch.

jbueno

Have had my 64 GB for nearly a year now, don´t see myself giving it up. Hopefully they keep updating the internals and keep the Size / Form factor.

Yep, I really love mine too. A perfect design. Ideally, a new model with a better display will come out eventually, but who knows.

reKon

Banned
It would actually be perfect if it were a 4.8 inch edge to edge screen. You could still use it one handed and the screen size would be perfect.

The problem is that you all suck. Great to use one handed, but fuck 4.0 inch phones for any sort of long reading.

flyover

hugocésar;238767990 said:
Yep, I really love mine too. A perfect design. Ideally, a new model with a better display will come out eventually, but who knows.

That'd be great. But I'd be happy if they just kept bumping up the processor and RAM along with the flagship models (albeit delayed by half a year or so for spring/summer release), even if little else changes. I'd keep buying them annually.

holygeesus

Banned
Have had my 64 GB for nearly a year now, don´t see myself giving it up. Hopefully they keep updating the internals and keep the Size / Form factor.

Same. Literally the only thing I'd change would be to bring out the less rattly power button of the 5, but the might be a manufacturing variance or something. It only really bothered me for a day or so anyway. Don't notice it now.

tommyguns

Back to the SE. Sold my Google Pixel and picked up an SE for cheap. (Space grey 32 GB). I bought this with the intention to hold me over until the iPhone 8 is released in September. I enjoy this phone a whole lot, but a successor this fall would be amazing. Some changes I would like to see...

-Same physical phone size, larger 4.5-4.7 inch screen, by massively shrinking the bezels.
-Force touch added and general improvement for the screen. (This screen tech is quite old)
-No more rattly power button :p

Like a user posted above, dream scenario is the iPhone 8 comes in it's normal size and then a smaller version (SE 2) with the same design language with very little bezel and such. We shall see!

Mr.Shrugglesツ;239741027 said:
When is a refresh expected?

I want to buy one but don't want to get burned too bad.

The current on has touch I'd right?

The storage just got updated a month or so ago so I wouldn't expect any substantial update any time soon. And yes it has Touch ID.

emag

At this point, what price is a good deal for the se? How low does it go without commitment or other purchases?

$399 for unlocked/no-contract.

There generally aren't discounts of more than a couple dollars. Might get a gift card or accessory tossed in for special sales events (black friday, etc.).

robochimp

At this point, what price is a good deal for the se? How low does it go without commitment or other purchases?

I finally decided to upgrade from a 5.

Depending on who you use for service there are some good deals.

I was already on Straight Talk, and Walmart has the Straight Talk Space Grey 32GB on sale for 159.99 locked for 12 months.

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
How much does turning on bluetooth drain your battery? Right now I'm getting over six hours of battery life from using the SE, which sounds too small, but then I have it hooked up to my fitbit so I'm not sure if it's BT causing it or what.

holygeesus

Banned
How much does turning on bluetooth drain your battery? Right now I'm getting over six hours of battery life from using the SE, which sounds too small, but then I have it hooked up to my fitbit so I'm not sure if it's BT causing it or what.

I leave my bluetooth on all day (Apple Watch) and when I come home, after light use during a 9 hour working day, my battery is usually 67% remaining. My phone stays in my pocket all day and probably comes out for 40 minutes during my break. If you aren't using bluetooth directly I don't think it should drain the battery, even if it is enabled. I guess mine drains when the Apple Watch pings it.

Blackhead

Redarse
Any rumors about SE2? I went from an iPhone 5 to iPhone 6 plus to a s7 edge but I miss the old design and a small phone in my pockets.

Wait for September or just buy an se now?

zero rumors of an SE2. Buy one now if you want...

I've been getting some performance problems with my SE though. Safari keeps freezing and Castro often crashes on startup.Needs more RAM :/

Lil Marco

Banned
The rest of the world is slowly catching on that a bigger phone doesn't necessarily mean it's a better phone.

Yeah, no.

The phone hits a critical entry-level price point for both developing markets and the US + the people that wanted it are an extremely vocal niche so they would obviously rave about it at every chance they get. This will consequently skew customer sat ratings, and evidently, your opinion.

Bigger screens were a natural progression in smartphone design as our digital media consumption becomes more robust and diverse (HD and 4K content, working on documents, more complex AR social media, bigger and better games). Samsung caught the trend early, perhaps unknowingly as they were likely just trying to out-spec iPhone with bigger numbers.

Blackhead

Redarse
Yeah, no.

The phone hits a critical entry-level price point for both developing markets and the US + the people that wanted it are an extremely vocal niche so they would obviously rave about it at every chance they get. This will consequently skew customer sat ratings, and evidently, your opinion.

Yeah I don't think you understand how customer sat surveys work

Samsung caught the trend early, perhaps unknowingly as they were likely just trying to out-spec iPhone with bigger numbers.

*smh*

digdug2k

Yeah, no.

Bigger screens were a natural progression in smartphone design as our digital media consumption becomes more robust and diverse (HD and 4K content, working on documents, more complex AR social media, bigger and better games). Samsung caught the trend early, perhaps unknowingly as they were likely just trying to out-spec iPhone with bigger numbers.
I always thought this, but the SE is actually kinda expensive here in Thailand. Around $550 USD or so. Its really not anywhere near the entry-level price point for developing markets. Samsung's entry level phones are ~$150.

The camera on my wife's SE looking shit lately. Anyone know if that's common?

Goldrush

Any rumors about SE2? I went from an iPhone 5 to iPhone 6 plus to a s7 edge but I miss the old design and a small phone in my pockets.

Wait for September or just buy an se now?

There is a rumor that Apple will release three models with one being SE size, but much bigger screen due to bezel-less. However, haven't heard anything about it being SE price.

Blackhead

Redarse
There's this, but iPhone rumors changes so often, I don't know what's current.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2017/05/10/apple-iphone-8-iphone-se2-new-iphones/#29489246578e
M0XrYSW.gif

Its not a current rumor

Social

Such a great phone, best one I have ever had. My wife has a 6s and clearly wishes hers was an SE too.

I love it especially because of the jailbreak though, the fact that I almost never have to press my home button and that I can hide apple apps, choose default browser and so much more, makes this my best phone.

Just ordered one of these with Virgin USA's new deal; excited to have a smaller phone with a decent battery life again. Had a Moto X for the past few years and really liked it, but honestly the weight and heat of the thing was kind of annoying at times. Looking forward to this new one

mlclmtckr

Banned
My SE's screen is really scratched :(. I don't know why, this never happened with my Moto G4, and I treated that phone like shit. I baby this iPhone but there's still scratches. Gorilla Glass ain't shit.

I ordered a screen protector, but does anyone have any tips for buffing out these scratches before I put it on?

(Overall though I am part of that tiny minority who wanted a small phone and is very pleased with the SE.)

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
I don't know what's going on with my phone. The battery drained 50% last night, and it seems like Gmail is the culprit. :/

perhaps helps that its a fraction of the cost of the other iphone models. I've now bought two for my family on contracts that would pretty much only get you a basic android device. They were on discounted offers but they're still great value.

Yeah, got one for my wife because it was a $400 iPhone so the price was reasonable. She'd rather have a larger phone, but for the price it's pretty good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom