• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Apple iPhone SE |OT| A Dazzling Display of Common Sense (again)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Downshifted from iPhone 6S Plus to SE today, loving it. It's beautiful. And powerful. It's so nice to be able to reach everything, and sit with my phone in my pocket.

XfhaNFt.jpg

Saya

Upgraded from the iPhone 4S to the SE two days ago. I love it so much. The perfect size and it feels so snappy. The last iOS update really slowed down my 4S too much. So many apps kept freezing or just became extremely slow. So, I thought it was time for an upgrade.

I hope Apple will keep making this SE series. In a few years, when I am ready for another upgrade, I definitely would love another phone in this size with more powerful specs.

I also got this slimfit case by Likgus for it. It's amazing. Good grip.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Either the battery life on the SE is considerably worse than 6S Plus, or I use it considerably more because it's such a pleasure to use compared to the Plus - either way, barely get through the day.

jbueno

Finally getting mine next week. Been thinking about a good case, want to try the Megadrive one but I'm afraid it won't do much to protect the phone.

RbqLcl6.jpg

TheWorst

Either the battery life on the SE is considerably worse than 6S Plus, or I use it considerably more because it's such a pleasure to use compared to the Plus - either way, barely get through the day.

You must just be using the phone a lot. I could probably get through two days if I wanted to.

My partner got a rose gold SE recently and after looking at it closely, I think it is the best designed iPhone Apple have sold. I have a 6 and whilst it is nice enough, the design completely pales once you get an SE in your hand.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Doesn't seem right to me. You don't have GPS enabled constantly do you? I notice it is on.

Good catch. Yeah it seems to be constantly on. Pokemon Go?

EDIT - nope, Pokemon Go location is set to 'while using'. Might be Waze, BA or Facebook. Switched them all off now.

holygeesus

Banned
Good catch. Yeah it seems to be constantly on. Pokemon Go?

EDIT - nope, Pokemon Go location is set to 'while using'. Might be Waze, BA or Facebook. Switched them all off now.

The weather app was doing the same on my phone, every time I swiped down to fetch notifications, for some reason. Must be a bug as a reboot sorted it.

Chittagong

Gold Member
The weather app was doing the same on my phone, every time I swiped down to fetch notifications, for some reason. Must be a bug as a reboot sorted it.

Hmm, still burning after setting all location-always apps to when-used.

Went to gym with 20%, and hour later of phone in the locker it was 13%.

EDIT: I'll try and do a hard iOS reinstall without restore and see if problem persists. That's the only route Apple accepts into replacement phone, in cases their diagnostics don't detect any battery problems. And they never do, I had the same thing with a 6S Plus - had to go through the same hoops but finally got a replacement - which worked beautifully.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Surely this can't be normal?

Since last 100%, about 15 hours ago:

6eBgSA5.jpg

Apple offered to email me tips on 'how to maximize my battert life'

6eBgSA5.jpg

Well, a few things here could be an issue. You have Bluetooth turned on and GPS services which can be somewhat heavy on battery life, and you're also using music and 4G. Combined, they can be pretty intensive on the battery. Some things you could do are ensure auto-brightness is on (or dim the brightness), use WiFi rather than 4G when available, possibly turn on the Low Power Mode if you can, turn off background app refresh, fetch for mail manually, turn off parallax effect (assuming this is a feature of the SE) in Accessibility, and see if you're in an area of low/poor-coverage. Those might be able to extend the battery life a bit long. 15 hours doesn't sound too abnormal to me, and AnandTech's battery life tests puts the SE pretty high relative compared to others too, but of course maybe others here will be able to give their own impressions on it too. Have you tried calling Apple about the battery life and seeing what they say?

6eBgSA5.jpg

You need to show your usage stats. Just showing us the apps with the percentages and the times under the apps isn't going to help anyone. You also need to understand that the usage times per app sometimes won't add up to the total amount of usage hours vs. standby hours.

Show us the rest, and we can try and troubleshoot from there. Your iPhone SE should be lasting just as long as an iPhone 6S Plus and I usually get 8 Hours Usage/12 Hours Standby when I'm in below 5% or so at the end of the day.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Well, a few things here could be an issue. You have Bluetooth turned on and GPS services which can be somewhat heavy on battery life, and you're also using music and 4G. Combined, they can be pretty intensive on the battery. Some things you could do are ensure auto-brightness is on (or dim the brightness), use WiFi rather than 4G when available, possibly turn on the Low Power Mode if you can, turn off background app refresh, fetch for mail manually, turn off parallax effect (assuming this is a feature of the SE) in Accessibility, and see if you're in an area of low/poor-coverage. Those might be able to extend the battery life a bit long. 15 hours doesn't sound too abnormal to me, and AnandTech's battery life tests puts the SE pretty high relative compared to others too, but of course maybe others here will be able to give their own impressions on it too. Have you tried calling Apple about the battery life and seeing what they say?

Thanks, I will try these too. I already did a clean iOS reinstall via iTunes with no iCloud restore, but that didn't help.

You need to show your usage stats. Just showing us the apps with the percentages and the times under the apps isn't going to help anyone. You also need to understand that the usage times per app sometimes won't add up to the total amount of usage hours vs. standby hours.

Show us the rest, and we can try and troubleshoot from there. Your iPhone SE should be lasting just as long as an iPhone 6S Plus and I usually get 8 Hours Usage/12 Hours Standby when I'm in below 5% or so at the end of the day.

Where do I find the usage stats, is there a 3rd party app for that or? Battery life definitely seems much worse than my 6S Plus was, so something must be off.

warthog

:/ haven't had an iphone since iphone 3, but it's really hard to resist this 1.

4 months is what it took, now I bought it. Haven't unboxed it because I have to get a nanosim tomorrow instead of the microsim I have now.
Glad to get rid of my blackberry passport. Not a bad phone, but damn those apps really blow.

Thanks, I will try these too. I already did a clean iOS reinstall via iTunes with no iCloud restore, but that didn't help.

Where do I find the usage stats, is there a 3rd party app for that or? Battery life definitely seems much worse than my 6S Plus was, so something must be off.

Usage stats are just at the bottom of that battery page you're on

For those that have "below-expected" battery life, I find that having tons of notification listeners enabled has a noticeable effect. I disabled all the notifications that I just don't care about and it really was the difference between ending the day at 5% and 20%.

emag

I've been pretty satisfied with the battery life on my SE, but it does go down faster than I'd expect when playing audio (whether local or streamed). Haven't listened to anything for a couple days, though, and this is what things look like this morning.

Pretty sure I can make it to the end of the day today as well.

Azerare

Wow the SE is a great looking phone and i did love my old 4s design. Currently rocking the S6Edge but i may just switch to it now.

I bought one a few weeks ago, and I asked the Telus guy how they were selling. He said it is their most popular iPhone. I was surprised since I knew that I preferred the small form factor, but apparently I am not alone.

I know several people who are actually "stepping down" to a smaller form factor phone. I came from a 6 plus, my wife gave up her 6 and we both have SEs now and we're both very happy with it. Anecdotally, I've spoken with several others at work who have done or are on the verge of doing the same thing.

TheWorst

Misplaced my debit card a couple days ago, so I've been using Apple Pay on this thing, and damn. Why did nobody tell me this was so dope? It's so convenient that I might start intentionally leaving my cards at home sometimes.

Also, I finally got the leather case from Apple, and it's really nice!

takoyaki

Might be changing from a 6s to SE soon. I don't anticipate a refresh for the SE this fall, so I think it's a safe bet.

I switched from a 6s to the SE this spring. It takes a few days to adjust to the smaller screen/keyboard, but after that I never thought about going back to the 6s. I owned both a 6 and 6s but never felt comfortable holding them/using them with one hand.

There could be a minor refresh at the September Apple event (e.g. 128GB), but since there's no rumors I'd expect the next SE to show up in March or June 2017 (if Apple will do yearly refreshes)

Voidance

I switched from a 6s to the SE this spring. It takes a few days to adjust to the smaller screen/keyboard, but after that I never thought about going back to the 6s. I owned both a 6 and 6s but never felt comfortable holding them/using them with one hand.

There could be a minor refresh at the September Apple event (e.g. 128GB), but since there's no rumors I'd expect the next SE to show up in March or June 2017 (if Apple will do yearly refreshes)
The bolded part is exactly why I want to switch.

Blackhead

Redarse
I guess I'm one of those people that never charges their phone with headphones on, Never. just to uncomfortable plus always had cheap android phones that would melt if you would do that, so I didn't

... you almost had me believe you there before added the hyperbolic nonsense.

Coxy100

Banned
Got mine yesterday - upgraded from a 5S. Obviously the same size (I have an iPad so don't want a big phone) and I love it. Obviously so similar, but some nice small improvements.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Anyone selling a 64GB model? Must be unlocked. Looking for $300-ish. PM me.

Xun

Mine has been absolutely fantastic, although I encountered a rather bizarre battery drain yesterday.

It seems fine now, but I t dropped 5% in a couple of mins when I went on a couple of apps on 3G first thing in the morning?

I guess I'm one of those people that never charges their phone with headphones on, Never. just to uncomfortable plus always had cheap android phones that would melt if you would do that, so I didn't

As one of those people that listen to music at work - I need to be able to do both otherwise my phone would have no charge for the evening

I think Apple should have the se line appeal to fans of older smaller phones with the full feature set and let the newer lines do the experimental stuff!

The battery was initially better than my 6S last year, but drops much faster since the iOS 10 update. I think my warranty has run out and I can't be bothered to do anything until the next cycle comes out.

Blackhead

Redarse
The battery was initially better than my 6S last year, but drops much faster since the iOS 10 update. I think my warranty has run out and I can't be bothered to do anything until the next cycle comes out.

Your warranty is for a year (longer in EU/Australia) so can NOT have run out as the SE was released 9 months ago

SaiyanRaoh

Anyone happen to know what firmware are the current crop of Verizon SE's are on? I'm hearing a jailbreak is imminent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom