• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You can tell a lot about a person by how they refer to Nintendo's ~La Snesse~ (SNES)

wihio

When I was young, my father always called it a Super Pretendo... I often think of it as that but definitely say Super Nintendo out loud.

D.Lo

I say hahahaha piece of kiddie shit didn't have blast processing.

Also my uncle is a lawyer and he says that because of the way the law works in Japan and because of Nintendo's failures abroad, Sega will own Nintendo. So stop pinning your hopes on the Ultra 64 Nintenclowns, it's never oming out.

Mario game on the Dream cast at launch. It's happening.
Memories...

Back when, lacking any actual real sales figures or company financials, all sides could claim their console or favourite game 'sold millions more in Japan' and that the others were 'going out of business'.

EraErr0r1

I usually refer to it as the Super Nintendo so the mere non-gaming mortals know what I'm talking about.

Having said that, I have to admit I'm guilty of throwing around "The Snesss" with my closer gaming buddies.

Ban Puncher

There was some nerd in school that called it the 'S.U.P.E.R. N.E.S.' as in he would say each letter every time. 'S.U.P.E.R.' was it's own acronym he had proudly created which I mostly forget except that the 'S' stood for 'Super'.

OP, were you this nerd?

People in France said both "Super Nintendo" and "Sness". Saying "S.N.E.S." sounds good in English but not in French, so when French people see "SNES", they pronounce it "Sness" naturally.

NewGame

Banned
ZSNES

oops

I mean SNES

Yeah

SNES

tenor.gif

Menchi

Living in the midlands UK, having been old enough to have on around release, I've literally only heard two people call it anything other than Super nes or Snes. Everyone else was firmly in the Snes or Super nes camp.

Spelling out the acronym just sounds weird when there's a perfectly prounouncable word for it

Atomski

Super Nintendo and Super N.E.S. was always my go to.

When I first heard someone say snes on a podcast it weirded me the fuck out.

balohna

"Super Nintendo" was what everyone said when I was a kid. I sometimes say S.N.E.S., but mostly in text form ("SNES").

NES was "Normal Nintendo" or "Regular Nintendo". Good times.

I first heard "Sness", or actually more like "Snezz", in the '90s. On a video came competition show. As said by this dude:
video-arcade.jpg

People actually pronounce it "Sness"? Man, I need to get out more. Although I'd probably smack the first person I hear saying it this way.

The "Vinyls" thing does bug me and I see people write that out in forums all the time.

jonno394

Born in uk 1986, got a SNES in about 94. It's SNEZZ to me but i mostly refer to it as the Super Nintendo now.

NEZZ-SNEZZ

Spenny

I for the most part call it the Super Nintendo. Sometime I'll say S.N.E.S. I never heard Sness until some jerk said it on YouTube.

Released

I speedrun SNES games and grew up playing them and also know a ton of people in the same boat. Almost all of us call it the 'sness' because it's one freakin syllable. If you have to say it a lot, you aren't going to waste your breath with 'Super Nintendo' every time.

Laieon

I'm sitting here actually trying to figure out what I refer to it as, because I'm legitimately not sure when the last time I had a conversation about that system was (if ever). I guess maybe just Super Nintendo.

Macka

I say Sness.

Was not aware it wasn't an officially recognized term until now.

I will continue to say Sness.

As a kid it was always the Super Nintendo to me, though.

Soodanim

Gold Member
British.
Snez.
Mega Drive. (I much prefer that name)

When I first heard the way Americans refer to the SNES I thought they were all being very long winded in saying Super N.E.S. Took some getting used to. I think Super Nintendo is the safe ground though, everyone gets that and doesn't have a problem with it.

Top Bottom