• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You can tell a lot about a person by how they refer to Nintendo's ~La Snesse~ (SNES)

Kelegacy

XBOX - RECORD ME LOVING DOWN MY WOMAN GOOD
I said S.N.E.S.

This is what I say. Giant Bomb is the first place I heard it called a Snes. Can't stand that name. I don't call the N.E.S. a Ness. I think that's stupid.

Or just call it a Super Nintendo, which is how I refer to it colloquially. Or ever Super N.E.S.

Mr_Moogle

In Australia it was commonly referred to as the snes. I don't know why anybody would want to refer to it as the S.N.E.S. It's just annoying to say it that way.

Stiler

My friends and I always called it "snes" we never said "super nintendo."

Genesis we always said either "genesis" or just "sega," Never "Sega genesis."

ASaiyan

Banned
flat%2C440x400%2C075%2Ct.lite-1u1.jpg

In my housssse we alwaysss say Snesssss.
Not "Ness" though, that'd be weird, lol.

120v

hate to trot out my old man card... but back in the day it was almost never referred to as "snes"... i mean, maybe it's something random people said, i don't know. but the only time i recall seeing that was in some gamepro issue circa 1990.

it was 'super nes' 99% of the time, for whatever reason

antitrop

When I was a kid, I and everyone I knew said both Super Nintendo and S.N.E.S. I never heard anyone ever say "Sness" until well after the 16-bit generation had ended. I think the first time I ever heard Sness was from a games journalist on some podcast in the mid-2000s.

Stencil

Super Nintendo. Rarely Super N.E.S. Also I used to say "Mare-ee-oh" just to be weird/bug people. But now I say it because that's how my recently deceased grandpa used to pronounce it, and he was the one who introduced me to VGs when he bought an NES for me and my cousins.

fester

Banned
I grew up always saying it as S-N-E-S or just calling it Super Nintendo to folks who wouldnt know what it stood for. I didn't hear anyone call it the "sness" till like a decade later. Its terrible and it should have been stopped before it spread.

Pretty much this, although it was mostly "Super Nintendo" for me, even with friends. "Sness" is an abomination. I guess some people just revel in being wrong.

Island

Almost everyone in my circle of friends says S.N.E.S, or sometimes Super N.E.S., or Super Nintendo. SNESSS is said by people that dont understand the history of the Nintendo Entertainment System.

I also say Mare-e-o

I called it Super Nintendo or Ess-En-Ee-Ess. I never called it the "nesss" or "snessss," and didn't know anybody who called it that. Everybody I know called it Super Nintendo or S-N-E-S.

Didn't know snes or ness was a thing until YouTube really.

Wozzer

It's Snes (sness). I don't have time to say Super Nintendo, I'm a busy man.

It's also N64 and not Nintendo 64.

It's also Xbone and not Xbox One.

It's also PS4 and not PlayStation 4.

It's also PC and not Personal Computer.

It's also Neogaf and not Neo Gaming Age Forums.

It's also the god damn Megadrive. Come at me.

In my experience When it first came out I knew it as Super Nintendo. As the popularity of the original Nintendo decreased and the popularity of the Super Nintendo increased, the Super Nintendo pretty much took over the name Nintendo. A bit later is when I heard people call it SNES though it had been known as that all the while. I don't think I ever heard sness before 2012 and only on the internet.

Number_6

I used to say Nintendo and Super Nintendo growing up.

Now I'm a teacher, and I say NES and SNES so that the young people can understand.

nikos

"Vinyls" is the worst. The plural of vinyl is vinyl. You can call them records, wax, whatever; anything but "vinyls." Ugh.

Also, it was always Super Nintendo when I was a kid. Nobody called it anything else.

bionic77

My experience echoes that of the OP's.

Everyone called it a Super Nintendo or a Super NES in the moment.

I did not hear SNES until much later.

g11

Es En Ee Es?
Su-per Nin-ten-do?

e65.gif

SNESS. It's one syllable. You barely have to open your mouth to even make that sound. It's beautiful!

Weebos

Banned
-"Sness"

You probably guessed it before clicking on the thread but this is the real reason we're here, to deal with this problem. I want to believe that you weren't alive at the time and so you just don't know any better. Like how you bought a used "VHS Player" to play your "VHS's" and you collect "Vinyls". You weren't around at the time when it was common to hear "Super Nintendo" spoken in public and so when you see the shorthand "SNES" written somewhere it's natural to want to sound it out phonetically and then use it in conversation. Well, you're wrong. Stop doing that.

I say this and I was alive, but only by a few months. I enjoy saying SNES because it's a dumb sounding syllable.

That said, I have talked with people about the SNES in real life maybe a handful of times.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Actually said all three. Bought it on day 1. I couldn’t even tell you why or where we would say it one way instead of another.

NES was the same way. Nintendo, NESS or N E S.

/shrug

Either you weren’t alive at the Time or just grew up sheltered I guess.

Es En Ee Es?
Su-per Nin-ten-do?

e65.gif

SNESS. It's one syllable. You barely have to open your mouth to even make that sound. It's beautiful!

That's just sounds lazy... And sounds like something that would be filled with phlegm.

Team S.N.E.S

In the commercials it was called Super N.E.S. So S.N.E.S was the natural evolution.

red720

I always called the NES the Nintendo or 8 bit Nintendo after the Super Nintendo came out.

Super Nintendo is obviously Super Nintendo.

I was born in 1980 BTW

AdropOFvenom

Neo Member
People who say Sness are monsters who need to be stopped.

It's an acronym, not a word. You don't say Psss 4. You don't say 3 Dssss. I don't know where this stuff began, but I never saw it prior to like the youtube age, nobody in my childhood ever said that.

Weebos

Banned

It's an acronym, not a word. You don't say Psss 4. You don't say 3 Dssss. I don't know where this stuff began, but I never saw it prior to like the youtube age, nobody in my childhood ever said that.

I definitely do this half the time. Also PissForce. I also say Thradis for the 3DS (Thanks Altano).

Synth

I bet you say GAF rather than "gee ayy eff". Try to work out what it and "sness" have in common that your examples late.

I either say Super Nintendo, SNES or Super NES (rarely). Absolutely under no circumstances have I ever uttered the phrase sne.....I can't even type it.

Top Bottom