• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You can tell a lot about a person by how they refer to Nintendo's ~La Snesse~ (SNES)

Aleh

As someone who wasn't even born yet back then, I always called it Sness in my mind and even thought saying just Super Nintendo sounded dumb. You learn something new everyday lol.

Super Nintendo, but I always thought SNESS was a weird way of pronouncing it.

Technically since SNES stood as an acronym for Super Nintendo Entertainment System, and not some kind of weird word that makes me think of a fantasy creature sneezing.

I've always used snez not sness, but Super Nintendo, Super N.E.S., or snez. I generally use(d) a system where:

Pedantic - Super Nintendo Entertainment System
Formal - Super Nintendo
For effect - Super EN EE ES or ES EN EE ES
Informal - snez

Wasn't the NES commonly referred to as simply 'Nintendo' in the US? So it makes sense that 'Super Nintendo' would follow.

In the UK we called it the NES, because we had other consoles by different manufacturers and they all had different names. We didn't call them a 'Sega' or a 'Commodore' because that would be ridiculous.

And most of the names were abbreviated for ease of use during normal conversation.

So for the Super Nintendo Entertainment System we just popped the 'S' in front of 'NES' and our accent took care of the rest.

If Americans find it annoying, that's a job well done I guess?

LOL. My dad did that, too. Like he was trying to keep up with the times, but was 5 or 10 years too slow.

At least he tried to keep up. One benefit for my mother and aunts when the Wii came out was that the systems the little kids had were back to being "Nintendo's" so they were correct again after 10+ years.

.J.

Banned
It's always "Super Nintendo" for me. I'm from the states.

Side question: was the SNES classic thread locked? Can't find it.

nkarafo

Also, you say Super Nintendo is the right one because that's what the box says. So it's you who needs to take 15 minute breaks for every 1 hour of play as instructed in the manual, for the same reason, like you say in your OP.

/shrug

Accoun

Every time I see someone call a NES "Nintendo", I picture them as an elderly person buying it for their grandchildren. For whatever reason "Super Nintendo" feels more acceptable.

Zyrox

Thought this thread was going to be some disgusting "Sness" propaganda.
Thanks for walking the righteous path of justice OP.

Capra

I mean, you call it an "N.E.S.", right? Not a Ness or a Nintendo Entertainment System. So logically, the SNES is just an "N.E.S" with an "S" in front.

I was born and raised on a Snes though, OP. All the neighborhood kids would call it that. You can't tell me what to call my childhood friend. :'P

Shaneus

I say "Sness", because it's fewer syllables and more efficient. Unlike it's CPU, which is slower than the Genesis' one haiyooooo

Generally refer to it as the Super Nintendo but I have been known to call it the Sness.

And for what it's worth, back in the day, the NES was never referred to anything but "The Nintendo"

Every time I see someone call a NES "Nintendo", I picture them as an elderly person buying it for their grandchildren. For whatever reason "Super Nintendo" feels more acceptable.

I think more kids called the nez a Nintendo back in the 80s cuz the name was a new brand to most people.

No other mainstream nintendo thing came before it (unless you include game and watch, arcade, toys or cards). It was the first. It was The Nintendo.

daTRUballin

I have no problem with any of those different ways to call the system. I use all of those, including S.N.E.S. which the OP left out for some reason.

Although I do notice the one I use the least is the "Sness". I barely ever use it compared to the others.

Anybody who pronounces Mario as Mare-e-oh deserves to be slapped in the face though.

EDIT: Nvm. The OP did mention S.N.E.S. My bad :p

.J.

Banned
I have no idea. Something about it being a pointless megathread, It wasn't pointless, it was actually very helpful and also amusing.

Seriously. I secured a couple of preorders thanks to that thread. Hopefully they don't get cancelled. I was really relying on that thread to let me know when US sites went live so I could order there and cancel the other stuff.

I mean, you call it an "N.E.S.", right? Not a Ness or a Nintendo Entertainment System. So logically, the SNES is just an "N.E.S" with an "S" in front.

I called the Nintendo Entertainment System "Nez" and so did everyone else I knew.

Seriously. I secured a couple of preorders thanks to that thread. Hopefully they don't get cancelled. I was really relying on that thread to let me know when US sites went live so I could order there and cancel the other stuff.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Podge293

I don't think I've ever heard it anything but the SNES unless someone is explain what the acroynm means.

Obviously seen it typed every way you mentioned

I've been calling it either Super Nintendo or S.N.E.S since it launched. I hadn't heard it called Sness until a couple of years ago. It's an odd thing to hear...

Same with calling the "Nintendo" or N.E.S. "Ness"... Ness is the name of the character in Earthbound... Not the original system...

Axass

I love how both the OP and half the posters are oblivious to the fact that not all the world speaks English. "Sness" is way more natural to say than s.n.e.s in my language.

Still I've always called it Super Nintendo.

squidyj

I still remember the day i came home from school and my parents had bought me a sness. I played Mario for hours. Up until then we hadn't had any console and I had only sometimes played games on the ness at a friend's house. I was the first kid I knew who had a sness so my friends would come over and we would play sness all the time.

Fight me.

Top Bottom