• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

You can tell a lot about a person by how they refer to Nintendo's ~La Snesse~ (SNES)

I still refer to it verbally as the Super Nintendo but don't talk about it much in person relative to how much I talk about it in writing. There, I go with SNES, but always hear it in my head as an abbreviation rather than an acronym (S-N-E-S).

Tall Paul

I once had a parent come to the shop I worked at asking for a 'Nintendo Playboy' for her 7 year old son....pretty sure she's the only one to have called it that.

molnizzle

I bet the fecal-lord, Shitman, is disgusted to know some people call his emulator 'N E S tickle'.

The last "s" gave it the same effect. N.E.S. tickle was a great emulator.

S.N.E.S. 9x was better though.

There's a whole world out there, 'murica.

Not in the 90's there wasn't. If y'all think American Exceptionalism™ is annoying now, you ain't seen shit. In the 90's the rest of the world was living in mud huts and squatting over ground toilets.

Another UK person here to confirm that you pronounce it 'Snez'.

Everyone knows that a 'Super Nintendo' is an ugly looking grey and purple box, whereas a Snez is a beautiful machine with colourful buttons ;)

gelf

I and every kid I knew at school back in the day said Snez and Nez and I'll continue to do so because I'm not spelling it out every time.

Eusis

I tend to say Super N.E.S. and Super Nintendo, and almost type SNES because who the fuck likes typing out full names all the time? Do you always write or type names like United States of America or United Kingdom? Then there's things FBI where we don't really have a shorthand alternative like America or Britain.

Sness is a thing of madness however, I'll agree to that.

woopWOOP

I say Super Nintendo to relatives who vaguely know what consoles are and remember that thing
I say sness to everyone else

Gonna enjoy that sness mini when it releases

So what do you call the people who pronounce it as "Zeb-is" instead of "Zeebz"? I wanted to reach in the TV and smack that Monita robot in Nintendo Land when it said the former.

weekev

Banned
I don't mind the folks that call it Super Nintendo, I can even let Sness slide (although that mildly irks me) I just can't believe anyone in their right mind would spell out the abbreviated version. I mean, come on guys, you're not for real right?

FinalAres

America your SNES wasn't even the right colour, so I don't think you should be telling us how to pronounce the name of the console.

Snez

SirNinja

"Super NES" is the best. Rolls right off the tongue.

"Super Nintendo" sounds like what an out-of-the-loop parent would call a PS4.

I've heard someone say "snezz" exactly once in my life. He was an idiot, and drunk at the time.

mooksoup

didn't realise SNEZ was mostly a British thing? Was always said SNEZ as a kid. Who has the time for all those other syllables

SystemUser

Super Nintendo was most common for me. I also called it the Ess En Ee Ess (S.N.E.S.) and sometimes "The Super".

I definitely notice that Sness is more common with people that are younger than me. I used Ness usually only when referring to the Nes Max and the Nes Advantage. I didn't call the SNES Advantage the "Sness Advantage" though.

I think Sness isn't going to be used for you if you were part of the Nintendo Sega console wars. These were heated times for middle schoolers. I think using Sness at the time would be the same as a rabid MS fanboy using Xbone or Xboner around the time of the launch of the XB1. Sness sounds weak compared to the Super Nintendo. I mean it's fucking super.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Super Nintendo is the way.

Rarely, AND THE ROCK MEANS........RARELY, do I call it SNES or Super NES.

Sness can piss off. Always hated that description.

chekhonte

I said super nintendo when I had the system now I say Sness. The SNES as a console was relevant for about 5 years of my life where I said super nintendo to when talking about it with friends. I then moved on to the PSX and PC in the middle of the SNES' lifetime. In 1997 I played snes games only on the zsnes. That's 20 years now that the supernintendo has been zsnes to me and the console has become the SNES in my mind since I pronounce the emulator z-sness

Super Nintendo is the way.

Rarely, AND THE ROCK MEANS........RARELY, do I call it SNES or Super NES.

Sness can piss off. Always hated that description.

I don't think it's a description. It's just saying the abbreviation how you'd pronounce it if it wasn't an acronym. I don't get whats so horrible about that.

While we're on the subject of awful abbreviations, I want to say I find the word 'Ninty' fucking atrocious. I'm pretty sure it originated from gaming publications here in the UK in the 90's. I still see people using it on GAF, and it really needs to stop.

Top Bottom