• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK General Election 2017 |OT2| No Government is better than a bad Government

Status
Not open for further replies.

TimmmV

Come on guys. Let's talk about the real issue here.

YouGov have done a Harry Potter based poll and it's clear that the public think Theresa May belongs in House Slytherin.

Poor Olivia Coleman there lol

And Taylor Swift would defo be Slytherin, ranked way too low there

And while I know no-one here much likes the windbag...

Nigel Farage ✔ @Nigel_Farage
Mrs May's mistakes just cost the taxpayer £1 Billion.
11:59 AM - 26 Jun 2017

I think it serves an important point - the £1 billion is an easy figure to cite and remember as an example of Tory hypocrisy on austerity. The fucking magic money tree is real.

Maybe I'm being thick but the magic money tree was always real. Grow your economy, people spend money and that goes back to the state in the taxes, if you're prosperous with decent policies in the right areas there should in theory be money for most things.

The tories just don't want to do any of that 😂😂

Maybe I'm being thick but the magic money tree was always real. Grow your economy, people spend money and that goes back to the state in the taxes, if you're prosperous with decent policies in the right areas there should in theory be money for most things.

The funny thing is what you described is exactly how the Tories did say they'd pay for things during the campaign, things would be paid for with a stronger economy.

Spuck-uk

Banned

You would be correct.

The tories just want bigger payouts for them and their friends. Austerity is an ideology adhered to by idiots like Osbourne.

The point is that the Tories kept claiming it wasn't, as a common argument against Labour's economic policies.

Now suddenly they found an extra billion that was just laying around.

Actually the devolution and tax havens probably make sense from a Conservative perspective, it's what they were planning on doing in general anyway, what's it matter if NI gets a small headstart ? They can always just outdo them by dent of being a larger economy later.

Its only insane if you don't believe that the Free Market is infallible and that Trickle Down has no flaws.

Davidson will fall into line, there is not much she can do about it - she did what she needed to do, after all.

The questions do really now have to be:

1. Even with a working majority of 13, and the Tories probably treating the Brexit votes as to be as close to votes of no confidence as possible, can the Tories pass the Brexit legislation? Will Labour be whipped into supporting it like A50?
2. How long does May have? When does she go? Who replaces her?

These will be the defining political questions for the rest of the year.

Davidson will fall into line, there is not much she can do about it - she did what she needed to do, after all.

The questions do really now have to be:

1. Even with a working majority of 13, and the Tories probably treating the Brexit votes as to be as close to votes of no confidence as possible, can the Tories pass the Brexit legislation? Will Labour be whipped into supporting it like A50?
2. How long does May have? When does she go? Who replaces her?

These will be the defining political questions for the rest of the year.

You can't treat something as close to a no confidence vote or not. Precedent makes it clear what a confidence vote is. Besides secondary no confidence votes are pretty trivial matters if you otherwise hold a majority, you can just hold a vote of confidence immediately after to negate it. Its only a problem when the issue of effective no confidence makes your Government de facto non-viable: being unable to control the House or having no ability to fund the functions of Government.

The problem with that is that if the Brexit legislation does not pass then there's major issues with our laws and government - we have to be able to operate as a country after Brexit - so those laws *must* pass.

Theonik

Ah, so NI going to go down the same route that helped crater the Republic of Irelands economy. Well done lads.
Not really because the rest of the UK will be picking up the shortfall so NI gets to have their cake and eat it too!

each DUP MP is worth £150,000,000

edit: I hope from now on "DUP MP" becomes the measure of an expenditure. "That hospital costs 1.2 DUP MPs"
Let's stop sending 2.3 DUP MPs a week to Europe.
Give them to our NHS instead.

Devolving corporation tax is crazy. The DUP will go full Caman Islands and just demand more cash from Westminster when their tax receipts drop off.
And while "Enterprise zones" can be a sensible idea to promote industry in poorer regions, but they need very careful management to stop abuse and corruption.
Northern Ireland will be a hotbed of corporate corruption, and that's without any shady customs deals to keep Brexit from ruining the peace agreements.

I think George Osborne lives in a constant state of euphoria these days.

It seems Brexit is a more powerful more powerful drug than cocaine.

Let's stop sending 2.3 DUP MPs a week to Europe.
Give them to our NHS instead.

I have a better idea. Let's threaten to send 2.3 DUP MPs a week to Europe. They'll be dropping this "4 freedoms" stuff and introducing strict immigration controls within a month!

Theonik

Devolving corporation tax is crazy. The DUP will go full Caman Islands and just demand more cash from Westminster when their tax receipts drop off.
And while "Enterprise zones" can be a sensible idea to promote industry in poorer regions, but they need very careful management to stop abuse and corruption.
Northern Ireland will be a hotbed of corporate corruption, and that's without any shady customs deals to keep Brexit from ruining the peace agreements.
All of these corruption thingies sound like a very DUP thing anyway. They are kinda notorious for it.

I have a better idea. Let's threaten to send 2.3 DUP MPs a week to Europe. They'll be dropping this "4 freedoms" stuff and introducing strict immigration controls within a month!
Time to start a fleg situation in Brussels. The Europeans will be begging for a deal!

Well she can right piss off with that noise.

keep

As an EU national living in the UK for many years now with ageing parents in the continent, the thing that worries me the most right now is any issues I may have in the future if I ever need to spend time caring for them over there or I decide to bring them to the UK. All the conditionals they are putting in place for 'settled status' are vague as fuck and open to be overturned once the UK is 'free' from the UE shackles :rolls eyes: so I could find myself being unable to do both :-(

This whole thing is a fucking mess. I hope the EU Brexit team stands firm on their promise to the EU nationals and she has to crawl back. So far it's looked promising, but I think this will be a real litmus test.

CCS

Banned
Here's an idea: instead of getting into a stupid and time-wasting fight over how many rights we can take away from EU citizens, why don't the government give UK citizens the same rights as EU citizens and go from there?

Theonik

Here's an idea: instead of getting into a stupid and time-wasting fight over how many rights we can take away from EU citizens, why don't the government give UK citizens the same rights as EU citizens and go from there?
So remove their right to vote? I'm sure the Tories would love that if they could do it.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
apply for “settled status” in UK law.
Stopped reading there. I'm not going to fill in an 80 page document for you to throw legal hurdles at me for something I should have a right to.

How about you give me my settled status since I've lived my entire adult life here and pay my fair share of tax without voting rights.

Newline

Stopped reading there. I'm not going to fill in an 80 page document for you to throw legal hurdles at me for something I should have a right to.
Even the thought of having to do this makes me a little sick. This won't make the final deal unless it's a full on hard brexit crash. In which case staying here doesn't sound that appealing anyway.

Theonik

How about you give me my settled status since I've lived my entire adult life here and pay my fair share of tax without voting rights.
It's not the final process and if you read the article they are getting rid of the current processes for applying for a document and the new 'settled status' will be its own thing with a new 'more streamlined' process. Also people who applied for permanent residence will have to re-apply with the new process maybe saving some paperwork.

Presumably they want the EU to give the UK citizens such a shitty deal as well. That means UK citizens in the EU will be trapped in their countries. In contrast the EU wants to give free movement rights for their whole lives, even if you don't currently live in the EU 27 anymore! But hey, who cares about 'citizens of the world', because they're citizens of nowhere. They're not true Britons by daring to leave the best country on earth.

Theonik

Just read this. Apparently 'special' ID cards.

Maybe put a star on it?
Or 27.
Edit: Damn beaten

To be fair, even with treaty rights, Germany for instance had pretty annoying policy when it came to immigration. UK migration for EU citizens was seemless in comparison. Largely because they failed to implement immigration restrictions predicted in the treaties but still.

pswii60

They've already said the process will be streamlined and there will be no 80 page document.

The fact is that when the UK leaves the EU, the process of giving people like yourself settled status has to be formalised one way or another, otherwise how can someone like yourself be distinguished from anyone else coming over from the EU after the agreed period.

So the devil is in the detail with regards to just how streamlined they can actually make that process. Making it as simple and efficient as possible is in the interest of both citizens and the government, given they'll have at 3.2 million applications to process.

But then it would be even simpler again just to stay in the EU, so who knows.

Or 27.
Edit: Damn beaten

To be fair, even with treaty rights, Germany for instance had pretty annoying policy when it came to immigration. UK migration for EU citizens was seemless in comparison. Largely because they failed to implement immigration restrictions predicted in the treaties but still.

To be a registered resident in Germany for over 3 months I have to prove I have sufficient resources to support myself+ have health insurance.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Thanks PSwii60, I just meant you can't trust the government any more. The 80 page document destroyed all credibility it had in its processes. What detailed guarantees do we have that the next one isn't going to be just as bad? Why didn't the government do the same thing the EU did, which is offer a lifetime guarantee to British citizens? What is it hiding?

Maledict

75 out of 75 cladding on towers checked have been ruled unsafe....

So much for only a few being unsafe right...

The cladding itself is only part of the problem. Lack of sprinklers and internal fire prevention stuff was also a big factor in Grenfell. If you have a decent sprinkler system in place and working the cladding doesn't matter because the fire will be contained in its starting location.

Not saying we should leave it up, only it's not as simple as 'cladding = run for your life'.

jelly

Anyone get the feeling Brexit is going to cost a fortune all while our ecomony takes a hit. I think we need to plant more money trees. Honestly, I think we will all be dead or back in the EU and the money spent on the EU will still pale in comparison to what we had to do going it alone.

jelly

The cladding itself is only part of the problem. Lack of sprinklers and internal fire prevention stuff was also a big factor in Grenfell. If you have a decent sprinkler system in place and working the cladding doesn't matter because the fire will be contained in its starting location.

Not saying we should leave it up, only it's not as simple as 'cladding = run for your life'.

True, cladding is taking too much focus away from the complete shit show in other areas.

Beefy

Hardly any towers have sprinklers or working fire alarms, that needs to be sorted as well. But when you add flammable cladding the risk goes up big time. But the a sprinkler system isn't guaranteed to stop a fire, specially as a lot of it has been deemed level 3 in risk.

This 1.5Bn DUP deal could have put 170,000 students through uni at the old cost of £3k per year.

Or paid for 50,000 more NHS nurses.

Or funded 84,000 social care apprenticeships

Or installed 7,500 sprinkler systems in tower blocks the size of Grenfel tower.

Or paid for free school breakfast lunch and dinner for EVERY poor kid, and more.

Or built 8,000 more homes.

Or we could just give it to the Tories to pay for votes in parliament..........tax payers essentially billed 1.5Bn so that Theresa May can keep her job...

What the actual fuck.

Xando

Osborne having the time of his life

DDP9SghWAAEKqGN.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom