• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK General Election 2017 |OT2| No Government is better than a bad Government

Status
Not open for further replies.

jelly

Am I imagining that the only reason they are going against it now is because without a Tory majority they can't totally screw us with weakened rights, regulations etc that would force better productivity? Too dystopian I think.

Meanwhile, the prime minister is set to create a new Brexit council for business leaders, according to reports.

The group will involve business groups and be co-chaired by Mr Davis and Business Secretary Greg Clark, the Sunday Times reported.

Mr Davis told the BBC he was "pretty sure", but not "certain", that he will be able to get a free trade deal with the EU.

Should we maybe have done this before Brexit.....and lol, come on Davis, the wheels are coming off already.

Also, Philip Hammond being talked up as replacing May, he seems more EU friendly at least.

War Peaceman

You're a big guy.
Am I imagining that the only reason they are going against it now is because without a Tory majority they can't totally screw us with weakened rights, regulations etc that would force better productivity? Too dystopian I think.

Philip Hammond being talked up as replacing May, he seems more EU friendly at least.

They are backtracking because they have just been humiliated in trying to secure that vision. The Tories crave power and will do anything to keep it. They cheat and break electoral law, kowtow to Murdoch and endlessly lie just to stay in. If they continued with Hard Brexit they would be destroyed. Hopefully they still will be.

Dougald

The cynic in me says they'll be going for a softer Brexit rather than the lack of deal they originally wanted because they desperately want to avoid a backlash leading to a Labour landslide in 2022.

Of course this assumes the Conservatives actually believe the government can last that long

pswii60

Surely if no free trade deal is negotiated there will be another referendum? It would be suicide for not just the Tories, but the entire country to move forward on that basis.

They are backtracking because they have just been humiliated in trying to secure that vision. The Tories crave power and will do anything to keep it. They cheat and break electoral law, kowtow to Murdoch and endlessly lie just to stay in. If they continued with Hard Brexit they would be destroyed. Hopefully they still will be.
That's what I was saying to someone yesterday. I'm still hoping that all this 'hard Brexit' and 'no deal is better than a bad deal' stuff is just bluster and lies to pander to the right wing papers and back bench nutters. Saying whatever it takes to stay in power. But when it comes down to it they'll cave somehow (also blame Labour / EU for it) to give businesses what they want - a soft brexit or none at all.

Xando

Should we maybe have done this before Brexit.....and lol, come on Davis, the wheels are coming off already.

Also, Philip Hammond being talked up as replacing May, he seems more EU friendly at least.
Lots of talk about smooth Brexit and the economic damage yet no one talks about the real bottlenecks like FoM or ECJ.

At this point I'm half expecting the two years to run out before there is a clear position

Surely if no free trade deal is negotiated there will be another referendum? It would be suicide for not just the Tories, but the entire country to move forward on that basis.

"Out is out mate"

You underestimate how relentlessly unrelenting the Brexiteer brigade is.

Jackpot

Banned
little to nothing happened? Yet. Charges to be heard in July.

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...penses-charges-from-14-police-force-inquiries

20 MPs will not face charges. Article seems to imply that was all the people possibly facing investigation. And May chipped in with:

“The CPS has decided that no charges will be brought. Candidates did nothing wrong. What we are doing now at this election is going out there with a positive message about the future of our country,”

sammex

tumblr_os4j9v61sF1t0grs4o1_1280.png

7jAxSa.gif

Could someone give me a quick update re: odds of another election this year and also what the current situation is with the conservatives potentially forming an alliance with that super-right wing party I've forgotten the name of?

Could someone give me a quick update re: odds of another election this year and also what the current situation is with the conservatives potentially forming an alliance with that super-right wing party I've forgotten the name of?

The odds seem to be about the same as the DUP / Tory agreement crashing and burning. With the polls the way they are the Conservatives aren't going to voluntarily call another election at the moment.

hohoXD123

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...penses-charges-from-14-police-force-inquiries

20 MPs will not face charges. Article seems to imply that was all the people possibly facing investigation. And May chipped in with:

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2017/jun/02/craig-mackinlay-charged-over-tory-election-expenses

3 were charged afaik including the candidate for South Thanet.

Amazing how we are still unsure what actually happened in regards to buying an election. The Tory press did well in sweeping this one under the rug.

What's with all these fucking adjectives for Brexit? 'Soft Brexit', 'Hard Brexit' 'Clean Brexit', 'Red, White & Blue Brexit' and now Smooth Brexit'? I can't keep up.

CCS

Banned
Right, now we wait to find out what the deal is.

Specifically, how big the bribe is: over/under £1 billion anyone?

CCS

Banned
Serious question: has anyone actually worked out if the Barnett formula etc. means raised spending in Northern Ireland needs to be matched elsewhere?

Theonik

Serious question: has anyone actually worked out if the Barnett formula etc. means raised spending in Northern Ireland needs to be matched elsewhere?
It likely does. But the Barnett formula isn't legally binding. Except if the Tories don't match extra funding in Scotland heads will roll thanks to their new gains there.

CCS

Banned
It likely does. But the Barnett formula isn't legally binding. Except if the Tories don't match extra funding in Scotland heads will roll thanks to their new gains there.

Cheers for the response. As you say, breaking the formula is a good way to lose all of their seats they just gained.

Mr. Sam

I know the Scots are a cantankerous bunch but I don't think England or Wales would take kindly to Ireland getting extra investment while they get sweet FA.

Mr. Sam

I've read all the Harry Potter books and I still don't know why they keep Slytherin around when it's just a house for evil racists.

Just like the Republican Party, am I right, fellas?

jufonuk

not tag worthy
well done may you shat the bed?

or this is good?

I don't know.. so we on for hard and fast brexit. a smooth brext or something else?

hohoXD123

Oh god, what have the Tories done? They've shat all over the Good Friday agreement, found a magic money tree for NI but now the rest of the UK will want some of that money tree harvest, and are now in bed with the fucking DUP and all the baggage they bring. Labour has so much new material to use come the next GE, which will come sooner rather than later.

Come on guys. Let's talk about the real issue here.

YouGov have done a Harry Potter based poll and it's clear that the public think Theresa May belongs in House Slytherin.

Hufflepuff is basically if someone isn't Gryffindor or Slytherin. Ravenclaw is an irrelevance.

Smooth Brexit? Fuck that. Give me Crunchy Brexit or Brexit with Bits any day.

I'd prefer my Brexit medium rare please.

GamingKaiju

An extra £1b for this crappy government /smh

Good bye thread. See you all in community:)

I wish to thank crab, huw, audiboxer and many others for their contributions to this thread. I feel more educated on UK politics now.

Par Score

A £1bn bung over 2 years (with a fiddled £500m bonus) after which the DUP can come back and bend the Tories over a barrel again.

Funny how the Magic Money Tree can be made to cough up when it keeps this rabble in power.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom