• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK General Election 2017 |OT2| No Government is better than a bad Government

Status
Not open for further replies.

sammex

Here's the full deal

https://s3.eu-west-2.amazonaws.com/...tween+the+Conservative+Party+and+the+D....pdf

OACqAMQqSSWoaJC7ZWVNeA.png

8aTzCN9kTn2jWCpkC1QPdA.png

5PpzVzeBSJGsU7HGucKa3Q.png

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Come on guys. Let's talk about the real issue here.

YouGov have done a Harry Potter based poll and it's clear that the public think Theresa May belongs in House Slytherin.

Jeremy Corbyn is obviously Hufflepuff that I can't believe a clear majority of the British public got it wrong.

Spaghetti

Welp. How long does the thread have?

I'm tempted to make the jump to Community UK PoliGAF threads to see how this all pans out, but it just won't be the same as the two wild rides of the GE threads.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Welp. How long does the thread have?

I'm tempted to make the jump to Community UK PoliGAF threads to see how this all pans out, but it just won't be the same as the two wild rides of the GE threads.

I'd presume until the mods notice us.

In the meantime, post nudes.

Theonik

I know the Scots are a cantankerous bunch but I don't think England or Wales would take kindly to Ireland getting extra investment while they get sweet FA.
The Welsh typically get FA in the barnett formula vs the Scots. Moreover the Conservatives only have 8 seats in Wales vs 13 in Scotland. The particular topic is also a hot button issue in Scotland whereas it's not in Wales and I can't see many English Conservatives kick a fuss to avoid a new GE. Taking out the Speaker and SF Conservatives need 322 votes to pass legislation. With the DUP they get to 328 which is pretty close. But Scottish tories have them by the bollocks as it were. Welsh Tories too.

On the DUP deal: the £1bn is being dished out over the next two years. After that...?
May seems to only want to stay for 2 years, or until Brexit is done. This is also why she asked to not give another queen's speech until that's done.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
On a more serious note, this is the agreed financial programme:

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...t__financial_support_for_Northern_Ireland.pdf

* £200m per year for Northern Irish infrastructure
* £75m per year to give Northern Ireland ultra-fast broadband coverage
* The devolution of Corporation Tax Rates (this is the worst single part of this...)
* The creation of Northern Irish Enterprise Zones (read: tax havens)
* £20m a year for Northern Ireland's welfare budget
* £160m a year for Northern Ireland's NHS, with £10m specifically set to mental health

Jeremy Corbyn is obviously Hufflepuff that I can't believe a clear majority of the British public got it wrong.

We can't trust the public, we know this for a fact.

Anyway we know the logic people are using is:
Gryff: I like them
Slyth: I don't like them
Huff: They're a bit weedy
Raven: Who gives a shit

I'd presume until the mods notice us.

In the meantime, post nudes.

andrew-neil.jpg

Laura Kuenssberg ✔ @bbclaurak
DUP also get a 'coordination committee' - direct line into govt and a chance to review (or ask for more cash) in two years time
11:44 AM - 26 Jun 2017

So I guess we get a two year cycle in general on whether or not this government will last.

sammex

Is a two year cycle better or worse for Labour right now than another election in 6 months? They're riding high in the polls, but then any Brexit fallout could be pinned on the Tories.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Is a two year cycle better or worse for Labour right now than another election in 6 months? They're riding high in the polls, but then any Brexit fallout could be pinned on the Tories.

At least by my reckoning, better. I wouldn't really want Labour to inherit the shitstorm on the horizon.

And while I know no-one here much likes the windbag...

Nigel Farage ✔ @Nigel_Farage
Mrs May's mistakes just cost the taxpayer £1 Billion.
11:59 AM - 26 Jun 2017

I think it serves an important point - the £1 billion is an easy figure to cite and remember as an example of Tory hypocrisy on austerity. The fucking magic money tree is real.

Pandy

PJV3

At least by my reckoning, better. I wouldn't really want Labour to inherit the shitstorm on the horizon.

Yep, if the Tories can't win a majority now I don't see them pulling it off after more time in power and the economic problems that are coming.

If it goes badly they might be out of power for a very long time.

That could take weeks.

Oh well. We'll be back in a GE thread eventually, be it six months or two years.

Because there's no fucking way this alliance with the DUP will last. Right?

Well, this the apparent, intended breakdown of the extra £1 billion

https://mobile.twitter.com/julianoneill/status/879293049255464960/photo/1

So they've already got an idea on how much they want to spend, and where. If however this much money doesn't prove enough, or mismanagement causes the spending to be ineffectual - both plausible scenarios - then the DUP in two years, or perhaps even sooner, will push the Tories for more money, and perhaps other concessions. Are the Tories willing to give that much?

Spaghetti

Are the Tories willing to give that much?
To cling on to power for a bit longer? Probably.

Then again, by going with the DUP they've shown desperation already. If it gets worse there may be the possibility they just throw their hands up and go "FUCK IT!" and call a GE as a mercy killing for their Government.

Spuck-uk

Banned

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...t__financial_support_for_Northern_Ireland.pdf

* The devolution of Corporation Tax Rates (this is the worst single part of this...)

* £160m a year for Northern Ireland's NHS, with £10m specifically set to mental health

Ah, so NI going to go down the same route that helped crater the Republic of Irelands economy. Well done lads.

Yep, if the Tories can't win a majority now I don't see them pulling it off after more time in power and the economic problems that are coming.

If it goes badly they might be out of power for a very long time.

We can only fu...

We can only fucking hope.

Ninja'd like a boss! :) I have my fingers crossed that the Tories are out next election. My hands will be spirals by the time that comes i'm sure. And it hinges the left not fragmenting in the meantime and the youngsters turning up to vote again.

Pandy

Ah, so NI going to go down the same route that helped crater the Republic of Irelands economy. Well done lads.
It talks about devolving rates, not the taxes thenselves.

Possible NI will be able to compete with Ireland on rates, and make the UK Gov pick up the bill for any shortfall.

At least it's a snappy end to the thread. Going out with a bang rather than a whimper.

Overall this has been an entertaining election.

I sincerely wish my party had done better, but I think we will in the future - it's all about setting the party up for the next generation for us right now. Looking forward to Vince Cable finally getting to run the party, too.

The Tories have been weakened so badly that their entire controversial legislative agenda has been blocked. May is a deceased PM who could go at any point in the next two years. After that we will get our next GE - either with B-day bearing down on us or shortly after it.

Corbyn's big challenge will have to be to keep both wings of his party, and his optimistic and hopeful young supporters, energised and united for the foreseeable future. He's got a massive gift right now with such a horribly weak government.

Lego Boss

This is a 2 year bribe worth 2 year's salaries of ~15,000 Nurses or 7,000 Doctors.

Forget them.

Do they keep the Tories in power? No. So make sure to give them a pay cut to pay for the expediency of buying favour with dinosar-deniers.

Really, how is it legal that a political party can stay in government by explicitly using taxpayers money to buy influence?

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
each DUP MP is worth £150,000,000

edit: I hope from now on "DUP MP" becomes the measure of an expenditure. "That hospital costs 1.2 DUP MPs"

TheChamp

So are we stuck with the Tories now?

If only the Scottish Tories would cause uproar about this due to Scotland getting no extra funding whilst NI gets £2bn wishful thinking...

Hopefully its in the media for what it is a bung for may to cling on people need to protest this bung

Zaph

What is this fuckery? How is it not headline news?

Dougald

There's no magic money tree, unless it's to prop up a Tory government

Have they qualified where this £1bn is coming from, or is costing spending only something the left has to do?

Mr. Sam

This is still the only political event to provoke me to tears (albeit happy tears when I realised that Labour weren't going to be destroyed and all four constituencies in which I'd campaigned returned large Labour majorities). Even the Brexit vote only managed to provoke stomach-churning fear.

Goodbye, General Election 2017. Your place in history is... very uncertain.

This is political idiocy. Such a good soundbite for Labour that it almost hurts, coupled with their comments of how we can't just find money.

The Tories have surely fucked it at this point, right? Nobody is going to be happy about this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom