• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega brags about major and growing mobile success, 20 new mobile games this fisc year

Aki-at

SEGA Sammy released a new report for SEGA Networks, they are making a killing in mobile.

Xr7JUIS.png

http://www.segasammy.co.jp/english/pdf/release/sgn_presentation_e_20150220.pdf

Things to note from the report;

- The group to release 20 new mobile titles the following fiscal year.
- Development of 20 broken down as, 10 SEGA Networks, 5 SEGA, 5 co-developed/published
- Revenue expected to be 31.4 billion yen, up 10.5 billion yen from last year (Actually already above last year with the first 3 quarters.)
- Ange Vierge will be joining Chain Chronicle and getting an anime produced
- Sonic Dash has recorded 98 million downloads, total Sonic series has 143.5 million downloads
- Interesting one, Ignited Artists which is "comprised of experienced PC online/home video game developers" set to release a new title next fiscal year. I wonder if that hints at a MMO rather than a mobile title?
- NOAH Pass has gone from launch in August 2013: 15 developers to 88, 20 million users to 89.1 million

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Their console successes are conspicuously absent from this bragging. I wonder why. On a totally unrelated note, why won't SEGA do an HD remake of Valkyria Chronicles 3 for PS4 and localize it?

system11

Their console successes are conspicuously absent from this bragging. I wonder why. On a totally unrelated note, why won't SEGA do an HD remake of Valkyria Chronicles 3 for PS4 and localize it?

That makes too much good sense.

This month is really rough for anyone who likes long established game companies.

Even this good news, is just desperately depressing.

bigkrev

Yup. Sega knows what they are doing, and it's clearly paying off for them

Oh god people aren't realizing Stumps sarcasam

pastrami

Also, why don't they use those mobile profits and make Shenmue 3? That's why they went into mobile right? To make money to fund their AAA games?

Nyoro SF

32 billion yen is about 260 million USD...
Someone let me know if that's big.

Not on PC? :p

Wow, Chain Chronicles is killing it. I bet that has something to do with being released in the west. Imagine how much yen a month they'd be receiving from PSO2 if it was released in the west...

None because we don't use yen

SgtCobra

Their console successes are conspicuously absent from this bragging. I wonder why. On a totally unrelated note, why won't SEGA do an HD remake of Valkyria Chronicles 3 for PS4 and localize it
You went right for the jugular right there.

It would tank
Would it? Even if they released a PC version alongside it? The PC version of the first one did pretty well so I can't imagine the 3rd installment "tanking" especially after it's released on a "franchise hungry" public.

Usobuko

Banned
Sega won't bring Yakuza over without Sony help, Sega won't localise VC3, Sega definitely won't make Shenmue 3 without any outsider backing.

And it's not as if they didn't tried. Maybe on a rare occasion some of these ventures will bring in miniscule profit. But the opportunity cost is what they could be making in the mobile scene as shown here.

Tobor

Ice cold, brotha. This has been a rough week for mobile deniers.

Oregano

Slightly related it's interested to see that it's nearly entirely the creation of new brands that have fuelled this success and not the adaptation of their existing brands.

Hey I'm not asking for a full remake of VC3, just a port to PC. Either way, good to see that SEGA's mobile division is the new bottom line. Maybe this will let off the pressure on Sonic Team such that Iizuka can maybe produce non-Sonic games made by the employees.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Slightly related it's interested to see that it's nearly entirely the creation of new brands that have fuelled this success and not the adaptation of their existing brands.

I think the only existing, non-licensed brands there are PuyoPop and Border Break.

Not surprised that Chain Chronicles is killing it for Sega.

It's a fun game and pretty addicting.

Too bad the Western version is kinda crap cause Gumi is running it.

JordanKZ

Financially? I'm happy for SEGA.

As a person who wants absolutely nothing from their mobile division, this is just depressing.

I posted in a thread about Sega doing well now and had posters try to argue.
This thread is sweet. I am glad they are doing well.
Nintendo will do well also.

Edit: Dragon Coins is really good guys, play it.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
OP title is reaching no?

We've had SEGA Networks presentations each FY since their implementation - it's a progress report to demonstrate growth potential.

On topic, I'm glad SEGA found a successful footing in the mobile market. The AAA market is viable for so few.

atomico

I'm old. To me, the real Sega died with the Dreamcast. Still, it's kinda nice to see those 4 little letters on new stuff in 2015, tho.

Haunted

I look at most of these games and despair.

I tried Chain Chronicles and it was IAP ridden garbage with lousy actual graphics and skinner box design.

Feels bad to see a company move away from the things you love.

Top Bottom