• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

60fps Update for PS4 Remote Play on non-Xperia Android 4.0+ devices now available

Ashler

They really need to get this running on iOS devices. Would be great to remote play off my iPad with a DS4.

They really need to get this running on iOS devices. Would be great to remote play off my iPad with a DS4.

sounds like a LOT of work for just modders to create an iOS version of a remote play system that has only been designed by Sony for the Vita and Android :p

Paz

Wonder what version of Android my Shield Portable is using and if I can set this up...

Remote play to the Shield Portable at 60fps would be amazing since it has triggers/shoulders/clickable sticks.

stryke

Care to explain this? Xda post didn't really clear it up for me and I'd really like to try this. Does it run on an unrooted nexus5?

I'm not too sure of it myself either but I think it's related to installing the app manually (as in moving around the files in the phone yourself rather than letting the app or recovery zip do it automatically).

Circinus

Most people on GAF here love exclusive games so much. (I think the obsession over exclusives / list wars could be a bit less here, but okay)

Likewise, the analogy can be made here, Remote Play is a differentiating feature for Xperia Z2/Z3 product line compared to other smartphones and tablets.

Of course from a consumer point of view it would be much more convenient if most of this stuff was cross-platform. But from a business point of view, manufacturers understandably want to differentiate their products.

I'm just saying, don't get your hopes up for Remote Play on iOS. You'll see PS Now, PS Vue on other platforms, because those are services that will generate more revenue on their own that way. But Remote Play won't. It's a differentiative feature for PS Vita and Xperia Z product line.

Mendrox

I just installed the app on my old HTC One and it works perfectly. Even way better than Vita Remote Play. I am in a local shop about 40km away from my PS4 and I am playing it from here. Does Controller Support work?

Any chance someone could post a guide as to how to get it working without rooting? No idea how to do this lol

I just downloaded the apk and installed it.

mtodavk

Not sure if it's because I rooted at some point in time, but just for shits, I downloaded the remote play app off the play store and it worked on my nexus 5 perfectly. no fiddling.

Most people on GAF here love exclusive games so much. (I think the obsession over exclusives / list wars could be a bit less here, but okay)

Likewise, the analogy can be made here, Remote Play is a differentiating feature for Xperia Z2/Z3 product line compared to other smartphones and tablets.

Of course from a consumer point of view it would be much more convenient if most of this stuff was cross-platform. But from a business point of view, manufacturers understandably want to differentiate their products.

I'm just saying, don't get your hopes up for Remote Play on iOS. You'll see PS Now, PS Vue on other platforms, because those are services that will generate more revenue on their own that way. But Remote Play won't. It's a differentiative feature for PS Vita and Xperia Z product line.
I doubt it. If Sony stops making phones they'll probably put Remote Play on everything, a la BBM. Remote Play on iOS would still sell PS4s, or at least improve the overall PS experience - and if they don't have their own phone line to worry about I don't see why they wouldn't.

I just installed the app on my old HTC One and it works perfectly. Even way better than Vita Remote Play. I am in a local shop about 40km away from my PS4 and I am playing it from here. Does Controller Support work?

I just downloaded the apk and installed it.

Not sure if it's because I rooted at some point in time, but just for shits, I downloaded the remote play app off the play store and it worked on my nexus 5 perfectly. no fiddling.

It's weird, I re-read the XDA post and though the manual method lists a bunch of files you're supposed to copy into various directories on the phone, all those steps are labelled as (Optional). So maybe it really can work with just the APK now. I'll give it a shot after work, maybe.

EDIT: also the XDA post says near the top:

The Manual Method is still available, if you wish you can just install the Stand Alone APK and it should work fine(Below).

So for everyone asking how you install this on a non-rooted phone, it's apparently as easy as

1. download ZIP, extract the APK
2. put APK on phone somehow (normal process for sideloading apps -- I'd go with the manual option first if you feel up to it, all it really needs is a file manager of your choice)
3. install APK
4. Resogun in 60fps

Circinus

I doubt it. If Sony stops making phones they'll probably put Remote Play on everything, a la BBM. Remote Play on iOS would still sell PS4s, or at least improve the overall PS experience - and if they don't have their own phone line to worry about I don't see why they wouldn't.

Probably yeah. I don't think Remote Play is such a significant factor that it would draw people towards PS4 though. It's more like a neat feature that is a nice extra for existing owners, rather than a big unique selling point that has a signficant impact on PS4 sales. It's more like a feature for a smaller, specific audience.

Luckily Sony isn't going to stop making phones though. (I say luckily, because their smartphones are of great quality and well received. Would always be a bit of a shame to have less competition and therefore less options in smartphones/tablets)

(The rumours were false. It was a comment that was misinterpreted by a news outlet)

So Remote Play is likely going to remain on Android and officially supported only on Xperia Z-series.

Snowballo

I update my question.

I changed my router a few months ago and I was not able to Remote Play anymore using my Nexus 5 (I still get the same network error while connecting to my PS4).

My last attempts were not a full success. Android's quality compared to PsVita's experience was quite poor.

How is the situation now?
Thanks.

Still waiting for this as well.

Cant we map the touchscreen controls to buttons in the meantime?

You can, and it works, but the lag is fairly bad. The difference between the old app native controls and touch emulated was pretty big. Native really made the experience like playing a portable PS4 with no perceivable lag.

I update my question.

I changed my router a few months ago and I was not able to Remote Play anymore using my Nexus 5 (I still get the same network error while connecting to my PS4).

My last attempts were not a full success. Android's quality compared to PsVita's experience was quite poor.

How is the situation now?
Thanks.

It will look bad until you adjust the settings and make it high quality and high framerate. There is a settings button in the corner before you connect. The higher resolution of Android devices compared to the PS Vita makes the incoming video stream look a little worse without bumping up the settings.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
So i could hook a dualshock 4 up to my Nexus 6 and play my PS4 games? Didn't realize I could side load this on other Android devices...

nemisis0

Anyone know how to make it full screen as I only have a small screen with the rest of the screen being the touch controllers.

Skele7on

Banned
I'm looking at getting a tablet that I can remote play on, what do you guys suggest is the absolute best at the moment?

Lnkn52

Last time I tried this it didn't work, and I couldn't connect my DS4 to my phone .. wonder if it'll all work now.

Still not supported. If you have your phone rooted, there are methods to get it working.

I'm looking at getting a tablet that I can remote play on, what do you guys suggest is the absolute best at the moment?
On post #4 of the xda page, there is a compatibility list. So you can check there first to see if the tablet is on there.

Anyone know how to make it full screen as I only have a small screen with the rest of the screen being the touch controllers.
To have it full screen, make sure you're holding your phone in a landscape orientation.

Circinus

Xperia Z2 Tablet for 10" tablet. (or wait for Xperia Z4 Tablet, but it will be expensive)

Nexus 7 (2013) if you want a smaller, 7", tablet.

You can, and it works, but the lag is fairly bad. The difference between the old app native controls and touch emulated was pretty big. Native really made the experience like playing a portable PS4 with no perceivable lag.

OK good to know. Theres someone in the XDA thread testing an APK for the shield portable so it shouldn't be too long now

Lnkn52

Is it easy to connect a Dualshock 4 to a non-Xperia phone? I have a Nexus 5, it's rooted with Cyanogenmod (Android 4.4.4).

You can try the following (from XDA):

Method 1(Sixaxis Controller App):

Steps:
Install RemotePlayPortITBV0.9.1.apk (If needed Uninstalled the Remote Play App first).
Install the Sixaxis Controller App.

Pair the controller via USB to your PC using the supplied program on Dancing Pixel Studios website. (You will enter the Mac Address found at the bottom of the app).

Start the BT server in SixAxis Controller, grant Root Permission, wait for it to find the paired DS4 controller.

Go to Preferences > Touch Emulation > Edit Touch Profiles > Double Tap for Menu > Load Profile, and Load the RemotePlaySixAxisController.map.

Done! Start Remote Play and have fun!

reKon

Banned
Based developers. When I travel I'm going to try this on another WiFi network with my tablet and see if it works. Worst case is I'll just to use my phone, which has a smaller screen.

You can try the following (from XDA):

Yeah I saw that one. Don't like the idea of paying money just to connect a controller, but I guess it's the only way for now. Bloodborne has its own Vita trigger&stick settings, so maybe I'll stay with the Vita for a while.

Lnkn52

Yeah I saw that one. Don't like the idea of paying money just to connect a controller, but I guess it's the only way for now. Bloodborne has its own Vita trigger&stick settings, so maybe I'll stay with the Vita for a while.

But if you look at it this way, originally to even remote play from your phone, you needed to buy a sony phone and or tablet (over $500) or buy a vita. I think the app to get your controller to work was only $2 when I bought it.

DSix

Banned
Can it work locally without having to go through internet?

Even in standard it's shitty and loses the connection, and I'm right next to the console :/

Xperia Z3 tablet compact is what I have and I love it. It has an 8" screen. It's light enough to use the attachment for DS4 too. I highly recommend it and u can usually find some good deals or promotions to bring down the price some.

Or wait for the 10" Z4

FrunkQ

Neo Member

I agree with you to a certain extent, but there are technical reasons too. There is a baseline hardware requirement to run it well and with every piece of software comes the support requirements. Sony are willing top put the effort into supporting this on their own hardware and so makes a great USP.

Yes, it will work just fine on a Galaxy 5, 6, etc... but how do they control the Android marketplace to only run on certain devices outside of their own store? Extra code in there to do a hardware test? A pain.

Sony will probably not block the "informal" apk as they are not "that bothered" some enthusiasts pick it up. What Sony don't want is the support headache that comes with it!

So it is one of those *few* occasions where the marketing messaging and technical side actually align :)

tahsutify

Never mind didn't read.

Holy crap at the image quality when you use it on such a small screen. IT is much better than my monitor lol.

Sh0k

Do you guys recommend tracking down a Nexus 7 (2013 edition) for this? New to the Android tablet market, all I have at my house is iPads.

DSix

Banned
I have no idea, it seems to be finding the console via the web... I suppose it would work much better if it directly connected to it.

Nevermind it's just my router being shitty. Any wifi router recommendation for this?

Steel

Banned
Wonder what version of Android my Shield Portable is using and if I can set this up...

Remote play to the Shield Portable at 60fps would be amazing since it has triggers/shoulders/clickable sticks.

My shield can run it, so yours probably can too. And it is awesome.

Top Bottom