• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Jigglypuff Amiibo - Target Exclusive in US

sonto340

I haven't understood the big deal with the retailer exclusive Amiibos people keep making.
Just... Go to the store it's exclusive to and get it?

I haven't understood the big deal with the retailer exclusive Amiibos people keep making.

What if there's four exclusives at four stores that all release the same day and sell out in 5 minutes?

Walmart started doing the "Only 2 per customer" limit when Gold Mario got announced. Hopefully other stores start doing so as well.

D

Diggeh

Unconfirmed Member

75yMjlz.gif

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Walmart started doing the "Only 2 per customer" limit when Gold Mario got announced. Hopefully other stores start doing so as well.

Many Targets did something similar with Rosalina, probably after they got a heads up from actual Amiibo fans. I know I was one who asked about limits.

Maengun1

Exclusives suck.

That said, Target did okay by me with Rosalina, so...meh? I heard the pre-orders were awful, but they at least announced a release date and stuck to it, and I showed up that morning and got my Rosalina with no hassle whatsoever.

Thoraxes

There's about a 2-minute window on the day it comes out to find it in a store. If you weren't one of the lucky 6 people that got there early and ran to the back, that's it. The game ends.

Hatchtag

Banned

This was actually that easy with Rosaluma. But I doubt there's gonna be a foot of snow blocking everyone else in on May 29th.

Velcro Fly

i'll be sure to take the day off work (or in Rosalina's case drive in a blizzard) to line up hours before the store opens to get one

or else they will never get more and never make more and i'll have to pay $40+ for one

Amir0x

Banned
They making Amiibo fans go on a hunt at this point.

"Time to go on the Amiibo super store circuit! Target, Wal-Mart, K-Mart, Best Buy, Gamestop. Each a unique Amiibo, all shall be mine!"

Parham

Banned

Some retailers do a better job of handling exclusive Amiibos than others. If I understand right, Target completely dropped the ball last time around with Rosalina.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Another exclusive....

I'm feeling better and better about my decision to abstain from Amiibos every day.

The emotional hysteria and monetary costs involved make this seem like gaming's version of Scientology.

Amir0x

Banned
"At this point"?

Huntin' season's been since day one!

Only Shulk was huntin' out of the first batch, no? I mean they have rare Amiibos that they don't make as many of, but you can still find them in any store that sells Amiibo's as long as they didn't sell out.

All I need is Ness. Only Amiibo I ever wanted for day one. So I guess it's not a big deal. Although now that Lucas is in Smash Bros. again, Lucas Amiibo incoming? *crosses finger*

cagelessrat said:

lol

If the announce a date and time where you can preoder I wouldnt have an issue but seeing as target last time opened up preorderes at stupid early hours in the am without a warning it was a good way to fuck people over. especially since they didnt havve a preorder limit and people were buying up their entire stock for themselves. I don't mind the ness exclusive because Gamestop is actually giving us a time to preorder online and in store. However rosalina and meta knight was basically limited to either getting lucky and getting a preorder or camping in line for 6+ hours in some places for a limited chance to get one.

Only Shulk was huntin' out of the first batch, no? I mean they have rare Amiibos that they don't make as many of, but you can still find them in any store that sells Amiibo's as long as they didn't sell out.

All I need is Ness. Only Amiibo I ever wanted for day one. So I guess it's not a big deal. Although now that Lucas is in Smash Bros. again, Lucas Amiibo incoming? *crosses finger*

Meta Knight and Lucario were pretty tough to come by and were retailer-exclusive.

Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, Captain Falcon, Marth, Little Mac, and Pit have all been pretty much sold out since they launched.

And yeah, it was announced in the ND that a Lucas Amiibo is coming later on (and Mewtwo as well).

KissVibes

Banned
There's an issue with the Target exclusives in that employees working in electronics know about the value of these fucking things, and like to sell them to themselves early using the no barcode function in the register. So, you're kinda fucked in a lot of cases. A co-worker did that for Rosalina and Little Mac, so they're stuck in the store system (mostly because management won't listen to me about the headache it causes), and we get at least three dozen calls daily about both. I had someone call me from the other side of the United States for them. Fuck, a few weeks ago I had one dude try to fistfight me after he spent 15 minutes accusing me of hiding them for myself, then complaining to that days manager about me and my evil ways.

At least the Nintendo vendor (who keeps a photo of himself and Reggie in his wallet) was kind enough to tell us that (allegedly) Nintendo is going to do a "Best of" run of all the rare ones in June. I don't care about ambiibo's nor do I own a Wii U or 3DS, so I don't keep up on these things. Hopefully he wasn't bullshitting.

Crayolan

lol

(eventual) Lucas Amiibo was confirmed in the direct.

Parham

Banned
Why do people give a shit about Amiibos again? I still don't get it at all.

I'm legitimately curious.

I'd imagine that for a lot of people this is their first and maybe only chance at getting figures of characters that don't traditionally get their own lines. Speaking for myself, if it weren't for Amiibos, I wouldn't have had the opportunity to get a Sheik figure. The "toys to life" aspect of it is almost secondary. I don't think I've actually used it in Smash Brothers or Hyrule Warriors since the day I bought it.

This insanity is never going to end, is it...

I actually think it's going to get a lot better once the Smash Bros. line is over with. I think the Super Mario and Splatoon series are a good indication of how Amiibo will be handled going forward - a small selection of characters per line that shouldn't be TOO hard to collect.

bakedpony

Amiibos really are huge in the US to make deals like these huh? Here in the Philippines, they aren't flying off the shelves.

Amir0x

Banned
Meta Knight and Lucario were pretty tough to come by and were retailer-exclusive.

Villager, Wii Fit Trainer, Captain Falcon, Marth, Little Mac, and Pit have all been pretty much sold out since they launched.

And yeah, it was announced in the ND that a Lucas Amiibo is coming later on (and Mewtwo as well).

I know others have been retailer exclusive since launch, I was just talking about the first batch. Meta Knight and Lucario weren't part of the first batch launched.

Mario, Peach, Yoshi, Donkey Kong, Link, Pikachu, Samus, Wii Fit Trainer (Female), Villager, Fox, Kirby and Marth.

So yeah, none of these were retailer exclusive in the first wave actually. Only Wii Fit Trainer and Villager were rare.

I don't mind rare, I do mind retailer exclusive. That's the strategy I think they should go back to if possible for those who like Amiibos. For me it's not a big deal since the only hunt I ever need to go on is for any Mother-related Amiibos.

Crayolan said:
(eventual) Lucas Amiibo was confirmed in the direct.

so I guess there are now TWO Amiibos I have to get in my life *sigh*

Thank fuck both of them weren't TRU.

Had good experience with Rosalina so atleast I only can get one of them without paying scalper prices...barring a bad experience at Target. Maybe I can be lucky and score other amiibo at Target aswell. So my plan shall be: Splatoon 3 Pack, Lucina, Robin, Jigglypuff on one day unless I get lucky at amazon during its two minute preorder window. The stress is real.

I know others have been retailer exclusive since launch, I was just talking about the first batch. Meta Knight and Lucario weren't part of the first batch launched.

Mario, Peach, Yoshi, Donkey Kong, Link, Pikachu, Samus, Wii Fit Trainer (Female), Villager, Fox, Kirby and Marth.

So yeah, none of these were retailer exclusive in the first wave actually. Only Wii Fit Trainer and Villager were rare.

I don't mind rare, I do mind retailer exclusive. That's the strategy I think they should go back to if possible for those who like Amiibos. For me it's not a big deal since the only hunt I ever need to go on is for any Mother-related Amiibos.

so I guess there are now TWO Amiibos I have to get in my life *sigh*

Were you? I was responding to this:

Only Shulk was huntin' out of the first batch, no?

Shulk released earlier this year, long after the first wave...which is why I brought up a number of rare characters throughout the Smash Bros. line that have been released so far.

I hope the Rosalina experience encourage them to not fuck it up this time.

Since then most stores have started implementing a limit so hopefully Target does too. However Rosalina online didn't have a limit which really screwed a lot of people because scalpers bought up a lot of stock to resell.

Top Bottom