• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadow of the Beast (PS4) being shown at PSN press event

_Ryo_

Hmm thought this was going to be a big retail release, not a side scroller psn game.

Admittedly, I had never even heard of the old ones.

I'm in the same boat.

Not disappointed, but I expected a different kind of game after seeing the initial reveal trailer.

U.u I really don't see how anyone could think that. Small studio revive 2 decade old 2D side scroller, and expect it to be 3D?

Circinus

I expected a side-scroller, but still figured it'd somehow get a retail release as a proper reboot. This'll be sent to die on PSN.

I expected a beat 'em up / action sidescroller with some platforming bits.

And no as far as being "sent to die"; it would be the other way around.

An expensive worldwide retail distribution for a game that isn't a big-budget AAA game, a household franchise or an action-adventure game with mainstream market appeal would be a bigger financial risk than distributing it on PSN. This won't be sent to die on PSN.

Draft

I expected a side-scroller, but still figured it'd somehow get a retail release as a proper reboot. This'll be sent to die on PSN.
Opposed to flying off the shelves of Gamestop and Best Buy? All those kids clamoring for a Shadow of the Beast reboot. Their dads, wistfully remembering the Amiga, picking it up for a Christmas present. Something they can do... together.

This game was never going anywhere except PSN.

Percy

Banned
Well, looks like I'm eating my words from earlier. Honestly thought this title was going to be a long time resident of development hell.

Might get a retail release in Europe at least.

ehh

P772cdg.jpg

and

ouhIbNc.jpg

These pictures are missing a blimp flying around ..

Doesn't give me a "Shadow of the Beast" vibe, will wait for the finished product...

SotB looked a lot more colourful and crazy...

DeviantBoi

Game was announced too early. Don't remember the exact words, but basically the devs only had the concept video, and probably extremely super early stuff back when they first revealed it.

That's better than showing a video unrelated to the actual developer designs and then firing said developer.

barit

A 2.5D sidescroller was already expected if you saw the reveal trailer. Absolutely nothing hinted about a 3D third person game a la God of War. Just watch it again. You can clearly see how he kills the enemies from side to side and the camera moves not even once behind the character. People should stop with their wishful thinking and get the facts straight.

A 2.5D sidescroller was already expected if you saw the reveal trailer. Absolutely nothing hinted about a 3D third person game a la God of War. Just watch it again. You can clearly see how he kills the enemies from side to side and the camera moves not even once behind the character. People should stop with their wishful thinking and get the facts straight.

Which is only further cemented when in the PSBlog post that went up after that reveal confirmed that it was developed by Heavy Spectrum, whom, no offence, is in no way big nor experienced enough to develop a full-fledged 3D action game at the scale it needed to be.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Very combat-focused controls. Surprised there isn't even just a basic "Use" button.

These pictures are missing a blimp flying around ..

Doesn't give me a "Shadow of the Beast" vibe, will wait for the finished product...

SotB looked a lot more colourful and crazy...
Seems like they're trying to evoke the artwork on the original game covers, more than the art in the actual games. At least, for the segment of the game that they're showing...

Right, a Sony backed reboot of a cult classic title will be " sent to die " just because its only on PSN?

Just like Octodad selling hundreds of thousands of copies, or Hotline Miami 2 which is profitable or Transistor that sold 600k across PC/PS4.

May want to rethink that whole idea that just because it is digital only it will somehow not sell well.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Looks a little too cartoony.

Very combat-focused controls. Surprised there isn't even just a basic "Use" button.
I was thinking the same, but Amiga version did all those puzzles in Beast 3 just fine with a single joystick button. Those were some of the best puzzles ever put into an action game, and I hope they will have that here as well. Combat was the part of Beast game I can safely say I cared about the least.

Seems like they're trying to evoke the artwork on the original game covers, more than the art in the actual games. At least, for the segment of the game that they're showing...
Kind of not succeeding in that either. That artwork is too genious/abstract to be put in typical game graphics IMO. You'd need like 0.1% top industry talent to make that work, and I don't really think these guys are exactly that.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Amiga nostalgia hitting me hard!

Would it be possible for them to include the main original music theme? That would be sweet!
I hope they'd include all three original games, nicely emulated. It's amazing how hard is to get those things running with perfect Amiga-smoothness on emulators. I've pretty much given up on that.

Hanmik

do you guys remember the controls for Shadow of the beast on Amiga..?

Here is the control scheme for Game nr. 1..

Use the joystick to control the warrior's movements:

JUMP/UP
(USE EXIT)

MOVE LEFT MOVE RIGHT

CROUCH/DOWN

Press the fire button to PUNCH, or KICK (while jumping). If you have a
weapon in your possession, pressing fire will fire the weapon rather
than punching or kicking.

Moving the joystick up or down will normally cause the warrior to jump
or crouch. If however, you are standing on or against a ladder moving
the joystick up or down will cause the warrior to ascend or descend.

There are exits between areas. If an exit exit is facing you, simply
walk into it to use it. If an exit is to one side of you, stand next to
it, and then push the joystick up to use it.

It is also wise to watch your step. The warrior can survive short
falls, but stepping into a pit or off a high ledge will prove fatal.

Pressing P at any stage will pause the game.
Fire the joystick to restart.
Pressing the ESCAPE key will restart the game from any point.

here are the controls for game nr. 2.

CONTROLLING THE WARRIOR

You may use joystick or arrow keys to control the warrior, but we
recommend joystick.

JUMP/ASCEND
|
|
MOVE LEFT--- ---MOVE RIGHT
|
|
CROUCH/DESCEND

FIRE, SHIFT OR ENTER: Use highlighted weapon/object
Keys: F1-F4: Highlight weapon/object carried.
O: Offer highlighted object.
A: Ask nearest character about object or character.
ESCAPE: Abandon text input.
S: Display score/gold collected.
HELP: Pause (DELETE to restart).
F-10: Quit game.

and game nr. 3..

LEFT - TURN/RUN LEFT
RIGHT - TURN/RUN RIGHT
UP - JUMP
DOWN - CROUCH
FIRE - USE CURRENT OBJECT

Controls:

F1 - SCROLL THROUGH INVENTORY
F10 - QUIT
ESC - SUICIDE (LOSE A LIFE)
P - PAUSE
HELP - RESTART FROM LAST LOAD

And here are the ones for the reboot.

Iy9YK2G.jpg

AmyS

First time I saw Shadow of the Beast on Amiga was in a computer store in Chicago. Was so floored by the graphics.

The Genesis was about to launch but had not actually hit stores yet. SotB on Amiga looked like something from the arcades since I was used to seeing & playing games on Atari 7800, IBM PC AT, Master System and NES.

I realize now Amiga had been out since late '85 but #1 I was a kid, #2 there was no internet to speak of and #3 I didn't start reading video game & computer mags until '89 anyway. So I learned of Shadow of the Beast and AMIGA in the same day.

I've been looking forward to the PS4 reboot since before launch. Ever since the announcement.

Very happy to learn it's sidescrolling and not God of War.

Please be metroidvania.

For some reason I thought this was going to be a triple A big budget title, you know, since they took the time to announce it on stage at E3.

Elfstruck

Yesss, i was so pumped when they annouced it in 2013.

The original version was 2D, so why are people expecting it to be 3d this time?

Stike

Ten Pints

Let's hope a cheat code won't cost us ten pints this time around ;)

Quoting myself from the old thread about those pictures:

Looks fantastic so far!

Dissecting the screens and controls:
- "Wrath of Aarbron" tells us that the main character name and possibly his story arc is kept intact from the first game.
- The fact that L2 and R2 are not mapped to any functions reeks of Vita port or Remote Play planned compatibility.
- The controls looks a lot like God of War. I assume there is some depth to the area of gameplay - kinda like God of War, with a fixated camera (why else would you map dodge roll to the right stick?)
- The screen of Aarbrons' rage mode animation looks amazing. My inner teen screams :D
- Visual design is spot on translated from the previous games. Can't wait to see more areas.
- The first teaser trailer already had the intro music of the first game playing faintly at the beginning (you can hear the trademark flute) so we can definitely expect more throwback moments... YAY!

hawk2025

For some reason I thought this was going to be a triple A big budget title, you know, since they took the time to announce it on stage at E3.

Have you somehow not been paying attention to Sony's approach?

Plenty of downloadable games are getting the spotlight. As they should.

Krejlooc

Banned
Then again, none of the previous games had a desert level...
thats because the places in the 3 games were more like a mix of several types of levels at once. like, the stage where they are roasting the monster and you lure him into the spikes in sotb3 - it's like a combination of a desert, some savanna plains, a forest, and the ewok village all at once.

really fantastical settings.

Top Bottom