• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Shadow of the Beast (PS4) being shown at PSN press event

Krejlooc

Banned
Even if it was Gamescom, they made a big deal out of it.

Clearly more than just some PSN deal deserved.

it was like 10 seconds of a cutscene. they didn't make a big deal about it. nobody even knew what the game looked like. that's why this topic is of interest.

prwxv3

The tomorrow children got the same treatment and its not a AAA retail game either. Sony treats AAA games and smaller games the same when it comes to reveals.

Hexa

The tomorrow children got the same treatment and its not a AAA retail game either. Sony treats AAA games and smaller games the same when it comes to reveals.

A good game is a good game. Good game design is good game design regardless of 2D or 3D. Not saying that this'll be good necessarily, but that's a pretty good attitude to take.

Krejlooc

Banned
the idea of "tiers" of video games, like some "deserve" to be talked about intrinsically more than others, is baffling to me. Some of the best games ever never got physical, retail releases.

the idea of "tiers" of video games, like some "deserve" to be talked about intrinsically more than others, is baffling to me. Some of the best games ever never got physical, retail releases.

Some people take pride in only playing AAA titles. I don't understand it either.

GeoramA

Sony uses Gamescom to announce a lot of smaller games. Resogun, Rime, Everybody's Gone to the Rapture, Helldivers, The Tomorrow Children, Alienation, WiLD...

Also, Sony spent like 5 minutes on Entwined at E3, with trailer reveal + gameplay reveal at the same time.

On that same token, MS spent time on Ori as well.

Zambayoshi

I'm really hoping there will be a Vita version. When announced did they give any indication that it would only be on PS4?

Fasty

Man I hope this is good. I'm not disappointed that it's a sidescroller, I just hope it stands out in some way like the originals did back in the day.

Hydrargyrus

shadow_of_the_beast11.jpg

shadow_of_the_beast1.jpg

Yup, looks like a sidescroller :/

Fbh

Go to hear it's still alive.

But this thread made me check out the developer and the screenshots from the 2 other games they have made don't really inspire much confidence. I hope they surprise.

Patapwn

Do we have video yet?

I'm surprised people didn't know it was a sidescroller. The trailer they put out indicated that

sykoex

Lost all credibility.
I hope the game has some exploration elements like the original. Not asking for a full on metroidvania, but just moments where you ask yourself "hmm should i go left or right?"

Zambayoshi

That parallax scrolling and music of the original are the stand-outs for me. If these things are brought in some form to the new game then I'll be happy. Only other recent game that comes to mind with parallax scrolling is Valiant Hearts. Any other good examples?

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
Hmm truthfully had forgotten about this, but now it looks "different"? from what had expected it would be?

will be looking forward to new information as it comes out seeing as the project is still alive.

CamHostage

Looks fine, though I'm hoping it gets a lot trippier. It's very sharp now, but I'm not seeing a lot of style yet in the tiny bit we're seeing aside from the curving rock formations. Give me a floating eyeball and I'll be all oriented.

Not sure what's going on with posters who are shocked/horrified that it's not a AAA effort. Sony gave this Gamescom time because it's a legacy name and one that still has a little cache in Europe (and also it's a developer that Sony wants to forge a future with, for great or just notable things,) but even at the time the talk was that it probably was a PSN game. If it was meant to be bigger, they would have given it a bigger showcase to promote itself. It's not being sent to die, no more than the latest Housemarque or XDEV project is ignorable, which they are not. This just isn't AAA, but as long as it's good, bully for the gamer.

Quasar

Well I'd disagree. Just because its not getting a disc release doesn't mean its less interesting/cool.

Certainly given the history of the game and Psygnosis and the PAL side of the gaming universe I can see why it got the press it did at Gamescom.

Verger

Banned
It got a "big deal" because it was an IP that came back from the grave from over 20 years ago. But it was clear that aside from that, they weren't trying to "hype" it with anything else.

I'm also surprised that people thought this wasn't going to be a 2D side-scroller. It was all but guaranteed.

Hoping it will turn out decent. The images look good to start, but a bit too brown for me. The original was more green. Hope the whole game isn't all brown.

That parallax scrolling and music of the original are the stand-outs for me. If these things are brought in some form to the new game then I'll be happy. Only other recent game that comes to mind with parallax scrolling is Valiant Hearts. Any other good examples?

OlliOlli 2? I'm not sure because even though I play the game I'm concentrating too much to notice!

hesido

How many levels of parallax scrolling does this version have?

Parallax scrolling (at 50fps) was indeed the signature visual feature of the original game. The design and art direction, along with the music made this game stand out from the rest.

I hope the reboot is not always brown tho!

Zambayoshi

Parallax scrolling (at 50fps) was indeed the signature visual feature of the original game. The design and art direction, along with the music made this game stand out from the rest.

I hope the reboot is not always brown tho!

Those synthesised pan pipes were what did it for me - made it sound really otherworldly or haunted. Didn't quite gel with some of the art design (that blimp?) but I think that part of its charm was being a trippy, surreal experience.

Gimme some of dat parallax scrolling.

Not pictured, a red flying circle thing that comes out of nowhere and is impossible to avoid.

It is like they made this amazing scrolling world and then at the last minute had to add random things in to make it a game. A screen full of eyeballs that phase in and out? Sure why not!

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Just to understand why sotb on Amiga was so amazing for its time try to look at(and listen to) this comparison with the eyes of people of that time(it's always the same level part in every version)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C3b4h-MUjGo
PS:
the game was not just a "go to right", it was a simplified metroidvania with complex levels, objects to get to unlock new sections and so on.

shadow_of_the_beast11.jpg

shadow_of_the_beast1.jpg

Yup, looks like a sidescroller :/
And that's a good thing ;)
Honestly it would have had no sense making a god of war clone and calling it sotb.

Screens don't look too sotb-like to me, especially the big amount of blood, but the environment looks "metal" so it seems to be faithful to the sotb spirit.

Gimme some of dat parallax scrolling.

SotB.gif
gimme that music too!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjWf6d8t_Vg

Not pictured, a red flying circle thing that comes out of nowhere and is impossible to avoid.

It is like they made this amazing scrolling world and then at the last minute had to add random things in to make it a game. A screen full of eyeballs that phase in and out? Sure why not!
Giant flying disappearing eyeballs, giant rock hands from the terrain and so on, those are what made sotb great, it was almost like a crazy oneiric experience.

Stike

It's interesting how the games changed from 1 to 3.

The first one was a pretty simple hack and slay game with a few "find the key" puzzles.

The second had outright text adventure capabilities (talk to characters by typing words on the keyboard!?! Omg!) and more elaborate puzzles.

The third takes the cake of great puzzling, but much less adventure influences.

I liked 2 the best, but all have their merits...

SpokkX

Really want to see a gameplay clip of this

Loved the music, graphics and atmosphere in the original games

Just hope they updated the gameplay since it was never the series strong suite :)

Top Bottom