• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Football (Soccer) Thread - Season 04/05

Status
Not open for further replies.

CelticFC#1

Free Scotland in 2008
Now that the majority of the European leagues are underway I thought it would be good to start up a thread in which all GAF members could talk about anything football related.

Whether it be the Premiership, Eredivisie, La Liga, Serie A, Bundesliga or the SPL this is the place that you can come to.

The Premiership kicked off yesterday and there are two games left today. Arsenal play against Everton, which is just about to kick-off and live on Sky Sports 1, and Chelsea play Man United at Stamford Bridge, again live on Sky.

Will Ferguson get revenge over Mourinho? I doubt it, Man Utd have a extremely weakened squad whereas Chelsea are mostly injury free.

Anyway, as a topic icebreaker, tell us who you support and what do you expect your team to do this season.

I support Celtic and hopefully my team will retain the SPL Championship and reach the 2nd phase of the Champions League.

Might want to put soccer in brackets to avoid confusing with our american pals :p

Well I'm a man utd fan and have been all my life so I'm hoping we can win the league. So far in the premiership any season we have not won it we have won it the following seasons. This year its going to be tough, its the start of the season and we have over half our first team out through either injury or the olympics (bleh) I'm still in shock that Ole might never play football again (he's my favourite player).

It will be between Arsenal, Man Utd and Chelsea again this year, we need to ride this injury crisis as best as possible but im pretty sure we are going to get beat today.

I expect another top 3 stop who knows in which position.

Still not qualified for europe but its almost a certainty, i expect at least quarter finals, with our whole squad fit we shud do well, having rio back will be the big pusher

Leon

MrPing1000 said:
Might want to put soccer in brackets to avoid confusing with our american pals :p

What? But it's THEM who get US confused with THEIR football threads. :p

Best thread ever. I'm *relatively* new to football, in that that's the first time I'm following every season from start to finish.

Does anyone know where I can catch la Liga? I live in Canada.

Leon said:
What? But it's THEM who get US confused with THEIR football threads. :p

Best thread ever. I'm *relatively* new to football, in that that's the first time I'm following every season from start to finish.

I know but theres more of them than us. The NFL owns the phrase "American Football", FIFA owns the word "Football"

By right thats what they shud b called but hey i can live with it

CelticFC#1

Free Scotland in 2008
You've got a brilliant player in Miller, who's starting today. He's got everything and is definitely the successor to Roy Keane's throne at Man Utd.

Losing him to Man Utd was arguably last season's lowest ebb for me.

Good luck to him though, we'll miss him. :(

Fowler

I'm a Liverpool fan. Last week I was excited and couldn't wait for the season to start. Now... eh. No hope. Partially because we'll be pretty different if our three mooted signings ever go through (Xabi Alonso, Luis Garcia and Antonio "WE SOLD MICHAEL OWEN AND ALL WE GOT WAS THIS LOUSY PLAYER" Nunez), and partially because we have no striking cover up front and no guaranteed source of goals from, er, anywhere. Pessimistic? You bet.

CelticFC#1

Free Scotland in 2008
I'm actually quite optimistic for Liverpool this season. Cisse will score a barrel load and if you sign Alonso then I wouldn't be surprised if you nicked 3rd from Man Utd, who look extremely weak due to major injuries and having a squad which has quantity but not necessarily quality to win back the Premiership.

Everton v Arsenal game has started on Sky Sports 1.

Fowler

I now know better than to underestimate Manchester United :p

And don't get me wrong, I love Baros and I hope Cisse will score, but... forgive me for being pessimistic when you throw away your best goalscorer for an untested but talented youngster who has a penchant for causing trouble. And yes, he's been the top goalscorer in France for a couple of seasons now, but the last French Golden Boot to transfer to the Premiership was... Stephane Guivarc'h. Remember him? There's also the fact that Cisse resembles a GOOD version of Emile Heskey... so you know... I really do hope he scores tons and tons of goals but there's enough in there to seriously worry me :p

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Blackburn fan here. Don't pity me! We were great once.

I suppose my hopes are a top 10 finish and a good cup run. Surely we can't have a bad a season as last year, which was just awful.

As for the title, I can't see Man Utd winning it. It's between Arsenal and Chelsea for me. I realise the team who are playing at the moment are severely weakened, but that just shows the lack of quality depth in the squad. When Van Nistelrooy, Heinze, Ferdinand and Ronaldo are back, I'm sure they'll be far stronger than what I've seen so far, but what happens when someone gets injured or suspended, as they inevitably will?

I don't think much of their signings either. Heinze is good (well, from what I hear, I've never seen him in action) as he fills that dodgy second central defender role next to Ferdinand, but I'm not so impressed by the rest. Alan Smith is a decent player, but they already have decent strikers to go along with your awesome one, why have another? His goalscoring record isn't that great (1 in 4), not Man Utd level anyway. I think they needed another great stiker to partner Van Nistelrooy. You can say they can't afford those players because Chelsea will get to them and outbid them, but they've spent £19.8m on Saha and Smith, money which could have got them a world class superstar.

It's midfield where I'm really confused by the signings though. The defence is (hopefully) sorted, but I think the next weakness is midfield, not attack. And if anything I think they've weakened it over the summer by selling Nicky Butt. That Miller lad is meant to be good, but he's so young, he's really a hope for the future. That once awesome midfield is getting pretty old now. Scholes is almost 30, Keane is 33 and is having to play in defence and Giggs is almost 31 and has lost a lot of the pace which made him so terrifying. As for the rest, Fortune has never impressed me and Djemba-Djemba and Kleberson were poor, poor buys. Ronaldo is the only one who I think is really deserving of a place amongst the United midfield.

The final point on Man Utd is that Ferguson now has two rivals who are managed by people his mind games won't work on. Wenger is way too calm for anything like that to affect him, and Mourinho seems to give as good as he gets. Ferguson played the most obvious card in the world recently when he mentioned that money alone can't win a title, to which Mourinho responded by saying that this is very true, as shown by his cheap Porto team beating Man Utd's expensive side in the Champion's League last year. Haha, ZING!

As for Chelsea and Arsenal, I think it's going to be really close. Arsenal are just an awesome, awesome team, especially as they've managed to hold onto Vieira. Their pace is unbelievable and the defence is just as strong. I expect Reyes to come on this year after a pretty good half year at Arsenal last time round. I don't think they'll go unbeaten again though.

Chelsea are so much stronger this year than last year. I mean their squad has not only world class players in the team, but world class cover in practically every position. As for their signings, if Drogba and Kezman can get a good understanding together, I can see them tearing the Premiership apart. Robben was really good at Euro 2004 (if a diving bastard), I've never seen Tiago Mendes, Carvalho was one of, if not the best centre back at the Euros, Ferreira is meant to be excellent (though so overpriced) and Cech is going to have a right battle with Cudicini for that goalkeepers jersey.

The only weakness (in terms of personnel) that I can see is the lack of a natural rightsided midfielder. I suppose Geremi can play out there, but how many chances is he gonna get in the team? Duff can play there, perhaps he'll have to with Robben's arrival, but he'll be coming inside all the time.

Chelsea's problem of course will be the time they need to gel as a team. It's even worst than last year in that regard, more new players, a lot of the old players gone, a new coach...it's going to take a bit.

I think it's a pity Man Utd and Chelsea are meeting today. Unless one team completely blows the other away, I doubt we're going to be able to draw many conclusions from it. Chelsea because they've not had time to settle as a tram, United because they have so many injuries.

Fowler

I quite like Blackburn. Good luck to you guys this year.

Chelsea's problem really is that you've implanted a new team again on top of the old one. Their strikeforce never really gelled last season and now they've replaced them with a new one -- will they ever gel? They are quality though, so they will be there or thereabouts this year.

Mama Smurf

As for Liverpool, can anyone explain to me why they're letting Diouf go to Bolton on a season long loan? It's ridiculous when they've just sold Owen. Now I don't rate Diouf that highly, but they need the cover. They've got Cisse, but lost Heskey, Owen and now Diouf.

I really hope they've got someone in mind to buy, otherwise they've just got Baros, Cisse and Pongolle for the rest of the season (or half of it anyway). Pongolle is unproven in the Premiership and Baros has never really found his feet in the league. I suppose they could play Kewell up front, but they've got to cover his position then. Let's not forget Smicer is out for 6 months too.

It would have been fine, though not perfect, if they'd got Oto'o or Morientes for Owen, but a right sided midfielder isn't the same (though something Liverpool could do with I admit).

Speaking of Owen, how many games does he expect to play? He's got Ronaldo, Raul, Morinentes and that young player (can't remember his name, had a better scoring record than Raul or something in the youth team, for all I know he's been sold since) to get by.

EDIT: Thanks, I like Liverpool too. Have done ever since we won the Premiership at Anfield and half the Liverpool fans had Blackburn scarves. Brought together by our hatred of the scum ;)

Portillo is the young guy, showed great promise but seems to have taken a few steps backwards. Don't think he'll get much of a look in this season, may even be loaned out at some stage. Raul was utterly terrible last year and needs to regain his form quickly, although I don't think Camacho is brave enough to drop him. I'd go for Ronaldo and Morientes as my first choice strikers, why on earth they seem to want rid of Morientes is beyond me. Idiots.

Just watching Arsenal at the moment, half-time and they're 2-0 up. Fabregas, the new 17 year old looks very good indeed and Reyes is on fire, I love that little guy. You can see that he genuinely loves playing football and that's very refreshing to see.

Fowler

Portillo is already gone on loan... god knows why.

And yeah, Liverpool DESPERATELY need striking cover. Maybe Diouf could fit the bill since he's got a chance for a fresh start under the new boss, but I don't know, he seemed to piss off Rafa right from the start. Everyone got a second chance except him -- go figure. Either way, I'm not TOO concerned about Diouf since he only ever played well when he was on the wing, rather than up front. We really do need another striker though... hey, Beattie's free... a chance on him perhaps?

Mama Smurf

3-0 now.

I'm not watching the match (stupid no Sky household...), but I wonder how much Arsenal will miss Bergkamp next season (assuming he goes/retires). He's such an important player for them and there aren't that many players in the world who can fill his position.

Well, that's a discussion for next year I guess.

I didn't know they loaned him out already, where's he gone?

Goal Pires, 4-1. It's going to take one hell of an effort to beat Arsenal this year.

Just saw the Utd team. Keane is in the back four with O'Shea in midefield again!??! Really weird althugh I'd imagine it's a temporary thing until Fredinand returns. Miller starts as well, really looking forward to seeing him this year. He looks to be a great talent and could potentially be the ideal replacement for Roy in the coming years, both for Ireland and Man Utd.

Fowler

I heard he's gone to Fiorentina, though some reports say Valencia... either way, Portillo's off on a season-long loan.

Mama Smurf

Chelsea's line up:

Cech, Ferreira, Gallas, Terry, Bridge, Geremi, Makelele, Lampard, Smertin, Drogba, Gudjohnsen

Cudicini's gonna be pissed. Oh, and Smertin? Really? I know Robben has a knock, but I thought Duff was ok.

Shinobi

Leon said:

Roger's Sportsnet were showing some Spanish games last season, I think on Sunday nights. I imagine they'll start doing that again after baseball's finished.

Mama Smurf said:
Ferguson played the most obvious card in the world recently when he mentioned that money alone can't win a title, to which Mourinho responded by saying that this is very true, as shown by his cheap Porto team beating Man Utd's expensive side in the Champion's League last year. Haha, ZING!

lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
I think you mentioned this one before...one of the comebacks of the year.

afc.gif

It's all about the Gunners for me. Game wasn't avaiable here, but it's good to see them getting off to a hot start (four goals, none of them by Henry...I kinda like that).

Chelsea's my pick to win the Premiership...they weren't that far off last year, and seem a lot stronger this time around. So for now I'm just hoping Arsenal can break the unbeaten record streak, and keep it going for at least a few more weeks after that. As long as they finish ahead of Man United, it'll be all good. But they'd better make some hay in the CL this year...they had a golden chance last year and let it slip through.

Fowler

Simply diabolical defending by United. Good switch play by Gudjonsen and Drogba, and a great lay-off header by Drogba, but Roy Keane just froze and let Gudjonsen escape behind him. Tim Howard needed to stand up more to the ball since Gudjonsen had it all to do, but full marks to the Icelandic international for lifting it beyond the keeper and then bravely charging goalwards despite Roy Keane's deadly flying Cantona tackle.

Mama Smurf

Whatever the play, United have just lost their first "6 pointer" of the season. They aren't gonna be happy.

Look forward to the highlights tonight, haven't had chance to assess this new Chelsea team yet.

Shinobi

Fucking Panthers...

Anyway, can't say Chelsea really impressed me...seems like they're still trying to find their feet. United did pretty well to make it a game with all of their missing players.

Fowler

United held on to the ball well and passed it around well, but they simply never threatened Chelsea. In fairness, Chelsea didn't really threaten United all that much either, but they did cause more trouble and given that United's team is effectively the same as last year's you have to expect them to be more comfortable on the ball.

United were AWFUL at the back though. Keane was playing with a midfielder's mentality and was caught out time and time again. Liam Miller slotted in rather nicely despite a couple of slips and looks a very good player. Alan Smith was pretty poor though. As a lone striker he has a responsibility to stay up front, but he kept dropping too deep and too wide -- almost as if he was playing in midfield. He also let fly with a few dangerous tackles, though that's not exactly a surprise.

CelticFC#1

Free Scotland in 2008
I would say Man Utd were the better team but both sides didn't really hit top gear. I was quite surprised with how well Man Utd played with such a poor squad and I think I've been too quick to judge them in their quest for the title.

Arsenal looked superb, some great flowing football and with Vieira and Campbell still to come back in they'll only get better.

Mama Smurf

The Chelsea - Man Utd highlights were hardly extensive, but from what I could tell, both teams will have to do better than that to compete with Arsenal. Alan Smith's heading was terrible.

How many games do Arsenal need to not lose to beat the overall unbeaten record? Not that it matters, they've got Blackburn in a couple more games, so the run will soon be over. HARHARHAR, not.

EDIT: Everton weren't as bad as I thought they'd be, in attack at least, but Arsenal's own attack must be so scary to face. A couple of problems for Arsenal defensively, but that'll be solved when Vieria is back and they can play Sol "best defender in the league" Campbell instead of Pascal "worst defender in the top half" Cygan again.

Shinobi

Two more games for Arsenal (both home against Middlesborough and Blackburn), and they break the record. Would almost be funny if Arsenal lost to Blackburn...you'd probably be over the moon, heh.

Fowler

Cygan played rather well though... and the commentators were right, if Arsenal scored the goal Everton scored we'd be going apeshit calling them the best team of all time. Really good goal.

Leon

Bump for the weekend.

Does anyone know why Sportsnet apparently does not broadcast Sunday games?

Real madrid buying 2 english players, didn't see that coming especially woodgate, good defender (scary face) but has been injured a lot in recent times, will b interesting to see how he does.

in other news Ronaldo is back from Athens after only playing 2 games :D woot! And Diego Forlan is off, good luck to u Diego u had a hard time here at United but you worked damn hard and gave it your all everytime u played, for that i salute u.

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
Hey, CelticFC#1 - I've got to say Celtic have given me some footballing joy at the start of this season ;)

I'm a Wolves fan... Need I say any more? :D

As for this season, it's all about the Championship for me :/

Maybe next year when we go back up we'll be able to afford a decent player or two - thanks :)

Oh... and watch out for that Willie McKay, he's a nasty double-dealing slug, but then he is an agent so I guess it goes with the territory, but he's a slimier slug than most. :)

CelticFC#1

Free Scotland in 2008
Hey, CelticFC#1 - I've got to say Celtic have given me some footballing joy at the start of this season

I'm a Wolves fan... Need I say any more?

Ha ha, Wolves fans really hate Camara. :D

I wouldn't be surprised if he was on the scoresheet tomorrow, we're playing the awful Inverness Caley Thistle and a rugby score will be in the pipeline.

From what I've seen of him he's been quite impressive. Very pacy and has a good eye for goal. Personally, I don't think he's worth the 1.5 million a season or the extra 5.5 million at the end of this one but hopefully Juninho will be able to play balls through for him to run on to.

Hopefully though, he'll open his account next week against the Huns. (Rangers)

We'll all sing "Ooh aah Camara, Ooh aah Camara" as we wrap up another league title. :D

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
Some Wolves fans, true enough, but not me, the whole "refuse to return to pre-season training" was, IMO, undoubtedly a Willie McKay move - he wouldn't even let the club speak to Camara to resolve things, hence my warning about his respresentation :p

I was impressed by Camara, it was just a shame that it took him nearly a whole season to adapt to British football, in the last 7 matches we saw some stunning play from him and it made it obvious we couldn't keep him after relegation. The price was shocking though, both on the loan & the purchase option. Shocking in a good way though ;), and we know you can afford it :D

Mama Smurf

Interesting weekend.

Maybe I was wrong about Alan Smith. Bit too early to tell, but if he keeps scoring, I guess it doesn't matter how poorly he plays. I hear he played pretty well yesterday, couldn't tell from the highlights, but in the games I have seen he's not been great. Like I say though, keep scoring and who cares?

Miller on the other hand I was definitely wrong about. I've been extremely impressed with him so far. Plays with his shirt out like me too, I like that.

Chelsea are really struggling at the moment. I won't judge them on it yet, but if they're still playing like that 10 games in, oh oh. I think they're missing that inventive attcking player at the moment. Lampard's a good goalscorer, but not necessarily a playmaker. They have the players in their squad though. Kezman and Duff when they're back (Duff plays 90 minutes for Ireland and doesn't make the Chelsea bench? WTF?) and Mutu if he ever regains his form. Joe Cole too I suppose, but they just don't seem to know where to play him. I can only imagine how much better they'd be if they'd managed to pick up Gerrard or even Rooney this summer.

Arsenal are the scariest team I've ever seen. We so don't have a hope against them on Wednesday (well, maybe if they get nervous and we do have an alright head to head record in recent years). They tear through teams with such easy that practically the only way to beat them is to make sure you don't give the ball away anywhere on the pitch at any point during the game. And they're still missing Campbell, Edu and Vieira.

The rest of us must hope they lose Bergkamp, Henry, Reyes, Vieira and Campbell to injury soon. Then they'll simply be good.

Kola

Just in!

Champions League Groups:

Group A
Deportivo La Coruna
Liverpool FC
AS Monaco FC
Olympiakos CFP

Group B
Real Madrid
AS Roma
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
FC Dinamo Kyiv

Group C
Bayern München
Juventus Turin
Ajax Amsterdam
Maccabi Tel-Aviv

Group D
Manchester United
Olympique Lyonnais
Sparta Praha
Fenerbahce SK

Group E
Arsenal FC
Panathinaikos FC
PSV Eindhoven
Rosenborg Trondheim

Group F
FC Barcelona
AC Milan
Celtic FC
Schachtjor Donezk

Group G
Valencia FC
Inter Mailand
RSC Anderlecht
Werder Bremen

Group H
FC Porto
Chelsea FC
Paris Saint Germain
CSKA Moskva

lol at chelsea's group. Jose Mourinho meeting his old team that he won the champions league with AND they are playing moscow, the team that Roman's company sponsors.

As for us at manyoo we got a relatively straight forward group that I expect us to win. Arsenal will walk their group. Liverpool will have a tough time. I expect chelsea to win their group to

Shinobi

Mama Smurf said:
Arsenal are the scariest team I've ever seen. We so don't have a hope against them on Wednesday (well, maybe if they get nervous and we do have an alright head to head record in recent years). They tear through teams with such easy that practically the only way to beat them is to make sure you don't give the ball away anywhere on the pitch at any point during the game. And they're still missing Campbell, Edu and Vieira.

The rest of us must hope they lose Bergkamp, Henry, Reyes, Vieira and Campbell to injury soon. Then they'll simply be good.

:lol Makes me wonder all the more why they haven't been successful in Europe...the chemistry this team displays is almost awe inspiring at times. Sure hope they can change that around this year...at least get to the CL final for Christ's sake.

Ryck

Hey guys Man U fan here !!!! Here's to hoping they get Mr Rooney (sp) although Alan is definatly holding his own so far ;)

Ryck said:
Hey guys Man U fan here !!!! Here's to hoping they get Mr Rooney (sp) although Alan is definatly holding his own so far ;)

tbh i dont want rooney. We don't need him, Ruud, Saha, Smith and ole (if he ever returns) is a pretty damn good strike force. Rooney record for everton is pretty iffy 77 games 17 goals, he's gotten more yellow cards than goals. ALthough for England he's been brilliant. I've a feeling the board didn't want to buy him now but newcastle bidding is forcing them into it. Still i think that in 8 years rooney and ronaldo both in their prime at the same club...... woah!

Ryck

MrPing1000 said:
tbh i dont want rooney. We don't need him, Ruud, Saha, Smith and ole (if he ever returns) is a pretty damn good strike force. Rooney record for everton is pretty iffy 77 games 17 goals, he's gotten more yellow cards than goals. ALthough for England he's been brilliant. I've a feeling the board didn't want to buy him now but newcastle bidding is forcing them into it. Still i think that in 8 years rooney and ronaldo both in their prime at the same club...... woah!
I felt the same way initially...wouldn't they would really have to shift things around? ( Rooney is a striker right?) Id hate to see them move either Alan or Ruud (specially Alan who's only gonna get better)

Solid

Group H
FC Porto
Chelsea FC
Paris Saint Germain
CSKA Moskva
Porto-Chelsea will be great! I reckon some high tensions between some players and managers! :D

Anyway, Chelsea takes on Southampton at Stamford Bridge tomorrow. Didier Drogba is OK to play so I hope they take their forth win. And Cech keeps that zero clean :)

drogba_palace.jpg

Ryck said:
I felt the same way initially...wouldn't they would really have to shift things around? ( Rooney is a striker right?) Id hate to see them move either Alan or Ruud (specially Alan who's only gonna get better)

don't forget saha, whose been brilliant for us everytime he's played. Theres actually some talk that fergie thinks rooney cud be the replacement for scholes in the long run. I see his thinking, scholes was originally a striker as well

Ryck

MrPing1000 said:
don't forget saha, whose been brilliant for us everytime he's played. Theres actually some talk that fergie thinks rooney cud be the replacement for scholes in the long run. I see his thinking, scholes was originally a striker as well
I was thinking the exact same thing (about Scholes)

Maverick

Rooney moving to midfield would be an interesting move. He certainly bring the tenacity if he can control his aggression a little.

I personally think he's going to sign with Newcastle. Which I just don't understand, but maybe he just plain doesn't like Manchester U. After all, he grew up a fan of a small club.

Maverick said:
Rooney moving to midfield would be an interesting move. He certainly bring the tenacity if he can control his aggression a little.

I personally think he's going to sign with Newcastle. Which I just don't understand, but maybe he just plain doesn't like Manchester U. After all, he grew up a fan of a small club.

cud be a blessing in disguise for us. We Alan Shearer refused to join us TWICE. Which resulted in us first getting Cantona then Ole :D

We really need a winger, preferably left to make Giggs work for his place which hasn't had to do since blomqvist left

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom