• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Football (Soccer) Thread - Season 04/05

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juno

LIAR and a FELON
I'd like to see Celtic do it. Missing Sutton won't help and if they get an away goal forget about it.

Someone was saying on Sky Sports news that it's the defence Strachan inherited just don't work all that well. They'll need to pull off something special next week (is it being shown on TV?).

I don't see Everton having much of a chance. Moyes hasn't really bought that well and I don't think his players have what it takes for Europe...

cja

Mama Smurf said:
Wait, have I confused them with another team? I think I have! Hah, who won the UEFA Cup again?
CSKA Moscow. CSKA is the prefix for the old soviet block army teams hence why a few eastern european teams have it in their name.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
I think Celtics slump was to be expected after their terrible end to last season and the circumstances of O'Neils departure, I feel sorry for Strachan because he'll never live down that defeat.

CelticFC#1

Free Scotland in 2008
Juno said:
I'd like to see Celtic do it. Missing Sutton won't help and if they get an away goal forget about it.

Someone was saying on Sky Sports news that it's the defence Strachan inherited just don't work all that well. They'll need to pull off something special next week (is it being shown on TV?).

Well I could argue that Sutton not playing on Tuesday is a blessing in disguise. Strachan has played him in the center of midfield alongside Neil Lennon, both have no pace and offer nothing in an attacking sense, to accommodate both of these players in the center, Stilian Petrov (Our best player) has to play out in the right wing, which is like Mourinho playing Lampard in the right wing so Makelele and Jarosik could play in the center. After Sutton was injured, Petrov moved into the center but he was anonymous all night, which sadly could be said a lot about Stan when we desperately need him.

The defence is awful, we lost the league last season thanks to the two idiot center backs, Bobo Balde and Stan Varga, both have footballing brains the size of peanuts, they don't cover each other, they can't communicate with the rest of the back line and Varga is also slower than a week in jail. As for the full-backs, Mo Camara is not Celtic class, was at fault for Artmedia's first goal with school boy error like defending, but then that's what you get if you expect a Bosman signing from Burnley is good enough to participate in the Champions League as your number 1 left back. Paul Telfer, another signing from a Championship side along with Adam Virgo from Brighton who is currently injured, played at right back. Normally it would be the excellent and highly under-appreciated Didier Agathe, but Telfer was caught out at the end of the match, was nowhere to be seen for their 4th and 5th goals, again a cheap over the hill (34 years old in October) option by the Celtic board and someone who should be nowhere near Celtic Park.

The full-backs can be easily blamed on Strachan, they were his signings, he played them, and he told them to attack when we're 3-0 down, away from home, in one of the most vital games of our season. Balde and Varga can also be blamed on him, Strachan knew he would be Celtic manager weeks before it was officially announced, he knew our defence was our weakest point, what has he done in the summer to balance this issue? Nothing, except from bringing in inferior players than the ones that had left. What also irritates me is that our ex-captain Jackie McNamara has left for Wolves due to Celtic not willing to pay him an extra few grand a week, he was our best player last season along with Craig Bellamy (A player Celtic never made any real move to buy, yet the fans adored him and demanded his signature) and John Hartson (Our top goalscorer for the season, a player now nigh on detested by the majority of Celtic fans due to his general "I couldn't give a shit" attitude. He played for the first half of last season brilliantly to get his new contract, once he got that signed he's not been the same player and he doesn't give a fuck. Fat lazy bastard.) Although Jackie was our club captain he wasn't dealed in during January when Celtic knew his contract was up in the Summer, Celtic thought "It's only Jackie, he's always here, he won't leave us". Guess what fuckers? He did, and it's cost you bastards at least £10 million plus the extra incentive bonuses from the likes of Nike and Carling all for the sake of an extra few thousand pounds a week. It won't bother them that much, as long as they get their cash dividends from their shares they couldn't give a toss about the side. The fat fucker Hartson was dealed in and so was Balde. And get this, Balde was given a bumper new four year deal, in that deal he is allowed to leave this summer FOR FREE if he wishes to move to another club, if he decides to stay Celtic can gain a transfer fee on his arse. The thing is, Balde has been pimping his ass to whoever he wants, claiming Bayern Munich and Schalke were interested in signing him ( :lol ), only Celtic could be so weak to agree to such a ridiculous deal, yet the most loyal member of the first team gets treated like trash.

I'm looking forward to the Nakamura press conference at 3PM today, hopefully Lawell will have something positive to say (i.e. "We still have money available to buy quality defenders") but I won't hold my breath.

Juno, do you have Sky Digital? If so, look around the mid 900 channels on Sky Digital and you'll find BBC Scotland, they're showing the match on Tuesday and you'll be able to watch it on that.

Well, we're playing Motherwell tomorrow, the scene of last season's hideous crime, and I pray to God that we stuff this mob tomorrow. God, I hate those bastards after what happened to us last season.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
Well the Community Shield (Chelsea-Arsenal) is August 7th, next Sunday, so maybe for that. Unless Italy or Spain's seasons start earlier.

As for Celtic's woes, we (Blackburn) will gladly take Hartson off your hands. I imagine he might even come too with Hughes as manager.

You're pretty much screwed in the second leg though. You need to score 5 just to take it to extra time, so obviously it's got to be all out attack. But your defence is crappy as it is, so that's just going to screw them more and if they get just a single goal, you then have to score 7.

If you do it, I'll be impressed. I reckon a 4-0 win, just not enough.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
CelticFC#1 said:
SPL season starts tomorrow, so how about tomorrow for the new thread?

Well I don't mind when, but doesn't really feel like the start of the new season to me yet. Sorry Scotland, you're not exactly on my radar.

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
UEFA Cup draw:

Southern-Mediterranean:
Inter - Crvena Zvezda
Baskimi - Petach-Tikhva
Dinamo Bucuresti - Omonia
Lokomotiv Plovdiv - OFK
Apoel - Maccabi Tel Aviv
Litex - Rijeka
Vaduz - Besiktas
Vardar - Rapid