• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Football (Soccer) Thread - Season 04/05

Status
Not open for further replies.

CelticFC#1

Free Scotland in 2008
Maverick said:
What do you guys think of the Crouch to Liverpool move? This isn't getting much attention. Is Baros going to stay?

I'm quite surprised with it all really. He had a good season last year, but he isn’t worth £7 million or is he Liverpool class in my opinion. Benitez is probably going to use him as an alternative to their regular style of play, if you play a long ball up to him he's a 99.9% cert to win it in the air due to his height.

Baros will go by the looks of things. He wasn't selected for Liverpool's squad last night against TNS, thus not making him cup-tied for European competition, which could detract possible suitors who want him in their side for their Champions League/Uefa Cup campaigns.

Solid

Maverick said:
What do you guys think of the Crouch to Liverpool move? This isn't getting much attention. Is Baros going to stay?
all i know is that he's the most funny looking footballer i've ever seen :D

crouch1.jpg

crouch2.jpg

:lol

Shinobi

Hooker said:
New FIFA Rankings :) We have a chance for the number 2 spot now :)

http://www.fifa.com/en/mens/statistics/index/0,2548,108551,00.html?articleid=108551

Code:
1 	Brazil 		846
2 	Argentina 	787
3 	Netherlands 	781
4 	Czech Republic 	778
5 	Mexico       	768
6 	USA 	      	765
7 	France 		749
8 	England 	744
8 	Spain 		744
10 	Portugal 	739
11 	Germany 	723
12 	Turkey 		716
13 	Japan 		715
14 	Italy 		713
15 	Iran 		711	
15 	Ireland  	711
17 	Sweden 		710
18 	Uruguay 	703
19 	Denmark 	698
19 	Greece 		698

:lol USA ahead of England is laugh out loud funny...

BatiGOOOOOOL said:

:lol :lol :lol

scorcho

testicles on a cold fall morning
Guileless said:
Did anybody watch the Real Madrid-LA Galaxy game on FSC this week? They've been replaying it a good bit. Real won 2-0, but LA didn't look totally lost even without Landon Donovan.

Also Gold Cup action still going on but only people with some obscure Spanish language network can watch the US games.
Real dominated the game, and it was obvious that they were playing in a plodding pace. those instances where Real wanted to actually push the ball up with even a quarter sense of urgency they did so at will. on top of that, Zidane already looked in mid-season form.

scorcho

Hooker said:
New FIFA Rankings :) We have a chance for the number 2 spot now :)

http://www.fifa.com/en/mens/statistics/index/0,2548,108551,00.html?articleid=108551

Code:
1 	Brazil 		846
2 	Argentina 	787
3 	Netherlands 	781
4 	Czech Republic 	778
5 	Mexico       	768
6 	USA 	      	765
7 	France 		749
8 	England 	744
8 	Spain 		744
10 	Portugal 	739
11 	Germany 	723
12 	Turkey 		716
13 	Japan 		715
14 	Italy 		713
15 	Iran 		711	
15 	Ireland  	711
17 	Sweden 		710
18 	Uruguay 	703
19 	Denmark 	698
19 	Greece 		698
okay, i know that the US haven't lost yet in the CONCACAF Gold Cup, but 6th place? the team doesn't look terribly cohesive as a unit and have constantly been bailed out by the play of Beasely and Donovan. this is absurd.

fifa rankings don't mean shit u can get to number 1 if u just keep beating shit teams. USA are high because of those crappy tournaments and they have a relatively soft route to the world cup.

Although they do rather well in the world cup usually anyhoo

scorcho

MrPing1000 said:
fifa rankings don't mean shit u can get to number 1 if u just keep beating shit teams. USA are high because of those crappy tournaments and they have a relatively soft route to the world cup.

Although they do rather well in the world cup usually anyhoo
true, but at least within the Top 11 the US ranking looks way off. it's also interesting to see how little respect Greece still gets for their defense-first mindset.

Shinobi

Bit of an update on the Baptista front...

Sevilla accept Arsenal offer for Baptista tribalfootball.com - July 23, 2005

Sevilla have accepted Arsenal's £15 million offer for striker Julio Baptista.

But now they must convince the Brazilian international to move to Highbury and abandon his plans to obtain a Spanish passport.

Sevilla finally decided to cash in on their prize asset after Arsenal vice-chairman David Dein flew to Spain this week and raised Arsenal's offer to £15 million.

That matches the fee they will receive from Juventus for skipper Patrick Vieira.

Baptista, 23, earns £5,000 a week at Sevilla while Arsenal would pay him 10 times that.

Sevilla are eager to sell Baptista now as he will be eligible to leave for just £800,000 next season if he does not sign a new contract.

The Spaniards have already signed another Brazilian to take his place and Baptista said: "We now have four foreign players and only three places for them.

"Who knows what will happen but I think the matter will soon be resolved to the satisfaction of everyone."

Sevilla's Baptista in no rush to join Arsenal tribalfootball.com - July 23, 2005

Sevilla striker Julio Baptista has indicated any potential move to Arsenal won't be rushed.

"At the moment, there is nothing new regarding Arsenal," assured the Brazilian. "There are several interested clubs but the last word is mine.

"The decision I and my agents make is all that counts. We will analyze what is better for me, but on Sunday I will go away to China with the squad."

It'd be a pretty big psychological blow to Arsenal if Baptista rejects them, so hopefully he'll decide to wear the red...er, I mean the burgandy and white.

BTW, when the hell is Arsenal gonna sign a keeper? Not that I mind Lehman (he was terrific two seasons ago, and played very well down the stretch last season), but it'd be nice to get a bit of insurance.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
I agree the US is overrated in the FIFA rankings. But it is not easy for the US to qualify for the World Cup out of CONCACAF. Reasons:

--only 3 places and Mexico is a mortal lock every year
--no home field advantage unless the game is in Salt Lake or Columbus and very hostile crowds on the road
--not to sound paranoid, but there is demonstrable referee hostility to the US
--it took a miracle 2nd half goal to qualify in 2002 where we went to the quarters and were cheated out of the semis

The Gold Cup performances haven't been great by any stretch, but our 2 best strikers are not playing and our captain Reyna is not either. Also Bruce is doing a lot of experimentation. Honestly this tournament is worthless beyond getting experience for Germany.

DCharlie

Banned
this is comedy gold....

10 minutes to go

Real Madrid ............. 0
Tokyo Verdy............. 3

Real are getting shat on - and yes, they have a full squad out.

Shinobi

DCharlie said:
this is comedy gold....

10 minutes to go

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
DCharlie said:
this is comedy gold....

10 minutes to go

To be fair they are probably distracted by the thousands of teenage girls screeming "BECKHAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" and passing out.

DCharlie

Banned
it's finished - 3-0 to Verdy who are basically about on a par with Coventry City (on a bad day)

well done to Beckham and co who showed that while they can pass pretty well, they have as much fight and spirit as a stranded jelly fish.

Beckam and Zidane seemed to be arguing almost constanly - not sure what that was about, but hey... the 3rd goal is an improbable angle low height header that , if scored by a Real player, would have people saying WTF?!?!

Fair play to Verdy, they took it too em and they f*cked them over.

CelticFC#1

Free Scotland in 2008
BBC Sport
Official Celtic Site

Celtic confirm Nakamura signing

Nakamura was impressive in the recent Confederations Cup
Celtic have confirmed the signing of Japanese midfielder Shunsuke Nakamura, subject to the player passing a medical and securing a work permit.
Celtic will pay in the region of £2m for the 27-year-old, who is expected to arrive in Glasgow later this week and joins on a three-year deal.

Nakamura said: "Celtic are obviously an enormous club with an extremely passionate support.

"This was one of the reasons I signed and I can't wait to get started."

He added that he was confident of a successful season in Glasgow "both in the league and in Europe".

Manager Gordon Strachan described his latest signing as a "special talent".

"Once he's out on the pitch I'm sure our fans will realise very quickly why we were so keen to secure his signature," he added.

Nakamura is a player Gordon Strachan was especially keen for us to secure given his superb pedigree in the game

Celtic chief executive Peter Lawwell

"He's a player who can bring an extra dimension to any team, and having done our homework on him and asked many people about his background and temperament, we are delighted the deal has been done.

"I've no doubt it's going to prove a great bit of business for Celtic, and I'm looking forward to him pulling on the hoops and showing our fans why we have worked so hard to bring him here."

Celtic chief executive Peter Lawwell concluded negotiations with Nakamura's representatives and thanked the board for providing the funds to add to the squad.

He added: "The opportunities he will bring in terms of commercial spin-offs, especially in Japan and the Far East, are of great interest.

"One of the most complicated aspects of the negotiations was the player's image rights, which Celtic have secured.

"This could lead to an increase in merchandising sales in the Far East, as well as a significant boost for our other services and products."

A statement on Reggina's website thanked Nakamura for "his human quality and for his great professional approach in the past three years".

"We would also like to thank the Japanese media, the Japanese Football Association and fans who have followed him and our team with great passion," it added.

Celtic defender Adam Virgo says there is a sense of anticipation around the club regarding Nakamura's arrival.

"There is definitely a buzz about the place with this new signing," said Virgo.

"It will be a great signing for the club and give us great competition for places.

"He is a high-profile player, a Japanese international and has played in Serie A so he'll bring top quality to the team.

"The gaffer has been looking to sign him for some time so everybody here is looking forward to his arrival."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This calls for a SEXY PARTY!!

stewiedance0iq.gif

Also, Nakamura Video :)

DCharlie

Banned
holy shit, Raul was in the gym in Ebisu this morning.
I almost threw my panties at him.

Sounds like they are stopping in the Westin over the road from where i work (free use of the gym if you are stopping at the Westin).

CVXFreak is stopping there this week as well! (i don't think i'll throw my pants at him though)

That Real result... :lol :lol :lol

I read earlier that Verde conceeded something like 26 goals in their last 6 matches as well!

On an unrelated note, when can we get this stickied again? Season is starting in just a fortnight in the UK at least, and news is starting to ramp up.

Hooker

I'd say Solid gets that honor ;)

Code:
Solid 		304	
Hooker 		189	
brooklyngooner 	173	
Mama Smurf 	138	
ourumov 	107	
MrPing1000 	90

speedpop

Has problems recognising girls
CelticFC#1 said:
Celtic confirm Nakamura signing
Awesome. I am in the opinion that Nakamura is the next big thing from Japan, and he's going to create more waves than Nakata or Ono could ever do in the midfield. Definitely being in a British side will help bolster the physical power he needs.

Mama Smurf

My penis is still intact.
DCharlie said:
holy shit, Raul was in the gym in Ebisu this morning.
I almost threw my panties at him.

Sounds like they are stopping in the Westin over the road from where i work (free use of the gym if you are stopping at the Westin).

CVXFreak is stopping there this week as well! (i don't think i'll throw my pants at him though)

Oh yeah, well BOLTON WANDERERS used to come to my gym all the time!

Yeah okay, it's not that impressive, though it is true. I dunno how often they were there, or even why they were there as you'd think they'd have facilities of their own, but I saw various players a few times over about a month. Maybe their gym was getting redone or something.

The only really impressive player was Djorkaeff, whom I had the pleasure of watching on a running machine right in front of me for half an hour. It doesn't get much better than Djorkaeff ass 4 feet from your face for half an hour, I'll tell you that.

Anyone else think the tranfer market has been pretty boring so far? Still, should heat up soon, it is open until the end of August.

Arsenal definitely need players. Sure, they brough in Hleb. But they've lost Vieira and Edu! I'm having a hard time believing that's actually it, but as far as I can remmeber, that's all that's happened. I know they're after Baptista and that's great (though I'm beginning to think it's a lost cause), but for FUCK'S SAKE Wenger, buy a fucking keeper! Then another striker if Baptista doesn't work out, then some central defensive cover.

Chelsea have done...not that well. Sure, they got Wright-Phillips and Del Horno and they're both GREAT (well I hear Del Horno is, don't know), but apart from that they've only brough in youth. Not that Chelsea need that many players, but everyone knows Chelsea were after 3 fantastic players for left back (done), attack, and CENTRAL midfield, which W-P most assuredly is not. So Crespo came back from loan and he's a good player, plus they still have Drogba and Gudjohnsen and Carlton Cole (plus most of their goals will come from midfield anyway), but I still don't think they have that world class striker. They need an Henry, a Shevchenko, an Eto'o, a Van Nistelrooy (ignoring last season), an Adriano. To give Chelsea their due, they have tried. No one wants to sell the best strikers in the world though, not teams who don't need the money, so I think Chelsea are just going to have to look at those players who are a step behind the very best to bolster their options. Owen is by far the most obvious target. As for midfield, obviously they were dying for Gerrard and looked like they'd get him (speaking of Gerrard, it's sad to see him still playing for Liverpool for me. He's just so clearly above the rest of the team, no matter that the rest are pretty damn good themselves. Ah well). Essien could still happen and I don't know much about him but he seems to be highly rated, but money seems to be getting in the way. If that falls through...I dunno. They already have plenty of good midfielders, it's that absolute quality that's missing and not many available players have it. What're they gonna do, pry Kaka or Ronaldhino away? They might try!

Man Utd are probably quite happy with their squad. I don't think they need to strengthen their attack, it's better than Chelsea's if they can stay fit, they've hopefully solved their goalkeeping problems (if only in the short term) with Van der Sar, and their defence was damn strong once Rio was back last year (they need to sort out that contract quick, they can't afford to lose him). Their midfield still looks good for the coming season, especially now they've strengthed it with Park (can't recall him personally, but I remember being INCREDIBLY impressed with the entire Korean team at the last World Cup and I know he was part of the PSV team that did so well last year in the Champions League), though it's definitely aging and, if not this break, they need to sort it soon enough. Keane, Giggs, Scholes...they won't last forever. They could do with a right winger IMO (so when Giggs or Ronaldo need a rest or are injured/suspended they don't have to put Rooney on the wing), but I don't know who. Maybe it won't matter with Solskjaer coming back, he's done well there before. United's main problem though isn't a matter of cover or general strength...it's that in key positions, Chelsea are just that bit stronger. Like I say, I give United the edge up front, but everywhere else...Lampard's better than Scholes, Makelele's better than Keane, Robben's better than Giggs, W-P is better than Ronaldo (maybe equal), Ferreira's better than Neville, Cech's better than Van der Sar, Ferdinand may be equal to Terry, but Carvalho AND Gallas are better than any of United's second centre backs. I haven't seen Del Horno yet, but he's likely around Heinze's level.

Liverpool have done alright. If they can hang onto Baros then I think they've got a good little attack going in Baros, Crouch, Morientes and Cisse. If they lose him it's still ok, but not ideal. They have a good midfield but...they did last year! I'd still play Riise, Gerrard, Alonso (maybe Hamman if defending is needed more) and Garcia across the midfield, but they had those players last season and were sometimes overrun. Their defence is pretty good, though I'm glad they're going after another central defender, though maybe they need a higher quality left back (though Traore did alright). Not sure about their buys though. Crouch is great, really gives them another options. They might have overpaid, but that's all. Everyone else just seems to be cover though. It's good that they're getting a big squad, they potentially have a looooooong season ahead of them, but apart from Crouch and Reina, I'm not sure they're buying players who will actually break into the first team. Zenden is fine, but he's not exactly blowing me away (good cover on the left side between him and Riise though, might as well just sell fucking Kewell), I've only seen Sissoko in one game but no way will he displace Xavi Alonso or Gerrard, and I can't even remember who else they've got. I don't see how they could hope to challenge for higher than fourth place, which is sad for the champions of Europe. What they really need is a better team spirit, especially away from home and against lower teams.

Blackburn (my team) have done ok so far. Once Hughes came in last season and brought in Mokoena and Nelsen for fuck all (both international captains btw, so leaders too), we were SO much stronger defensively, one of the strongest in the league. Couldn't score to save our lives though. So bringing in Bellamy and Kuqi (some Ipswich striker) to have along with Dickov and Gallagher actually gives us an attack! :eek: We're pretty much set in most places, but I think we could do with cover at right back and a new right winger as Thompson has turned shite. Wouldn't mind another striker, but yeah right.

The rest are only vaguely interesting. Poor Everton are a Champions League team, have money to spend, but no one wants to go to them. I think Souness has lost it over at Newcastle. He's brought in Emre and Parker, which is fine, they're great players, but they were alright in central midfield as is! Faye, Jenas, Dyer, Butt...I know they didn't all fire last season, but did they need to bring in two? Especially when they sold Bowyer and Robert and lost Solano a while ago? They need wingers! And a striker, though that's in motion it seems. Defenders would be nice! Man City may have lost W-P, but I don't think it'll turn out as bad as their fans think. They'll have Musampa and Trevor Sinclair on the wings, which is decent service, and bringing in Andy Cole and Vassell (fucking great deal on Vassell, so he had a bad season? £2.5m is a steal) should give them some firepower along with Fowler. Middlesbrough are so middling, no matter what they try. Steve McClaren has no control. They have Hasselbaink, Viduka, Nemeth, Job and now they've bough Yakubu and want Lovenkrands. Stop buying strikers!

I can't be bothered doing any others right now.

Mama Smurf

Liverpool seem to be doing alright in their 2nd qualifying round, 3-1 up away from home at the moment.

Speaking of, it's kind of strange to see such confidence (generally) that it's just an inconvenient formality that Liverpool will qualify, only annoying as it will give them a long season and ruin their friendlies line up. As I understand it though, Liverpool won't be seeded for the third round, or be kept away from English sides. The third round which will include (unless I'm mistaken) Villarreal, Real Betis, Inter Milan, Udinese, Man Utd, Everton, Werder Bremen, Monaco, Sporting Lisbon, Celtic (if they get through), Rangers, Panathinaikos, Ajax and others.

So as you can see, it's far from certain.

Just some random thoughts, inspired by Mama Smurf:

Arsenal: I know he did have the best season last year, but I still think that losing Vieira is a massive blow. As awesome as Fabregasc has been at times, it is too much to ask of him at his age to play that well all the time. No Edu as backup for Gilberto et al either.

I'd love to see them snag Baptista (surprised that Chelsea haven't tried for him given their paucity of success in signing a striker). 2nd place is a lock to my mind, crash and burn in Europe as ever.

Man United: The team is still struggling with the transition from the golden era team to a new one which can truly challenge. Lots of youngsters, and old hands, but too little experience and a few miles too many on the clock respectively in many cases. They really need Van Nistlerooy to recapture his form of two seasons ago, and for Rooney to get on the scoresheet more often.

I reckon Rossi might break into the team this year. Park also looks like a good buy. Hopefully VdS doesn't collect his OAP bus pass too soon.

Man City: Losing SWP is a blow, but they fairly fleeced Chelsea, and so have alleviated their financial woes somewhat. Cole & Vassell could prove to be a classy combo if Pearse can keep them both motivated. Hope Willo Flood and Stephen Ireland make the breakthrough this season.

Chelsea: Just like last year, their wings mean that when they get up to full tilt they will be great entertainment. With a bit of luck Crespo will improve on the form he showed in his brief appearances in his debut season (per minute played he actual had some great stats). Sooner Drogba is shipped out the better. £24m has rarely been so mis-spent.

Mourihno to provide endless amusement again, the man does not know when to keep quiet!

Blackburn: Haven't been the same since Duff and Dunn (speaking of whom, wtf happened?) were in their pomp. With a bit of luck Bellamy will notch up double-figures reasonable quickly (better, as he's my support striker in FF).

Sunderland: G'wan McCarthy. Getting SU promoted is a nice big Fuck You to all those who leapt on his throat over here after the whole Saipan incident. If Keane played for anyone other than Bandwagon Utd there wouldn't have been half as much agro, but that's neither here nor there. Keen to see Steven Elliot get some games and sparkle.

Spurs: On paper, they look mint. As ever though, they will do everything in their power to screw it up, and finish just outside of Europe. Great collection of strikers, some fine defenders, and a decent midfield in Mido, Reid and Routledge (I reckon he'll impress). Stephen Kelly is one youngster to watch (defender) along with Marney

Everton: Man, I feel so sorry for them. They finally have some cash to splash, and they can't convince anyone to join them. They're in the CL ffs, they should have people interested in joining on a season loan if nothing else for the experience. The Sissoko episode, and the rejection of an extended contract by Cahill typify their miserable off-season.

West Ham: Interested to see how Ferdinand gets on.

Liverpool: If you sign a beanpole like Crouch, you do NOT sell on Baros. The guy thrives on knock downs from lanky yokes like Koller in the national setup (goal every 2 games IIRC). Cisse is looking sharp in pre-season, and keeping Gerrard was the best signing they could make. Reina will hopefully be an improvement on Dudek, who seems intent on capturing Barthez' "Mr. Dependable" award.

Third place to be fought between them and United, but neither to be too close to Arsenal or Chelsea.

EDIT: Totally forgot about them...

Newcastle: Absolutely fucked seven ways from Sunday. Letting 6+ players go and signing nearly none in reply? Trying to sign Anelka? As if the spirit up North wasn't bad enough to begin with. Souness to be gone by Christmas, and the appointment of an interim manager till the Geordies' Messiah :rolleyes can be installed in charge.

Mama Smurf

You really see United some distance behind Arsenal and Chelsea? I see it as a much closer thing, Man Utd and Arsenal fighting it out for second place again and, while it's too early to tell as they haven't even signed everyone, I'm tipping United to take third.

Last season was a strange one. Arsenal had a fantastic start, a horrible middle, a pretty great end. United were the very opposite, which I attributed to Ferdinand's absence at the time for the bad start, but that doesn't explain their bad finish.

So on that basis, they'd be pretty much equal. However, while Man Utd have strengthened their squad, Arsenal have weakened it. Not that I've seen Hleb play, but he'd have to be some player to make up for the loss of Vieira and Edu. I don't know if I'll be saying that come the end of August, but it's not a good start. Also, that FA Cup final...I know Henry and Campbell didn't play at all and Ljungberg only came on as a sub, but still, that was WAY too dominant in United's favour. You shouldn't be able to do that at that level just at the loss of 3 players, no matter which 3 players they are.

Then again, there's this Glazer takeover thing, who knows how that'll affect things, and it's Arsenal's last season at Highbury, so everytime they pull on that maroon shirt they should play with that little bit more pride...could be enough.

It'll be close, but I'll still tip Man Utd (for second, Chelsea for the title).

Hooker

Well then MrPing1000; if that's the case I should get the honor :D

Spurs signed Davids btw, making their midfield that much more balanced

having only rooney and smith fit (smith not always there either) for most of the season really hurt us. If we hadn't of bought Rooney we'd have been in serious shit, still 48 or whatever goals we scored was terrible, we have managed over double that before. I hope Ruud gets it back he was great again clyde and peterborough but has been a bit wasteful in asia.

Still not sure about Park he does get stuck in thats always nice to see, he loves coming inside though and I fear thats one of the major reasons we had trouble scoring at times last season. Our best crossers of the ball are gary nevill and Solskjaer, Ronaldo has improved massively but damn that boy likes to shoot and 9 times outta 10 fucks it up. Giggs was never a great crosser of the ball and he often drifts as well.

If Solskjaer gets fit this season it will be like getting a new player, he can cross as well as Beckham and scores more.

Mama Smurf

Oh my :lol Celtic lost 5-0 to Artmedia Bratislava in their first leg of the second qualifying round. Strachan's first game too.

Now I don't have anything against Celtic, and I certainly don't have anything against Strachan, but I do find absolutely humiliating defeats hilarious, for any teams except England and Blackburn.

One half of Glasgow is very happy tonight, that's for sure.

CelticFC#1

Free Scotland in 2008
Mama Smurf said:
Oh my Celtic lost 5-0 to Artmedia Bratislava in their first leg of the second qualifying round. Strachan's first game too.

Now I don't have anything against Celtic, and I certainly don't have anything against Strachan, but I do find absolutely humiliating defeats hilarious, for any teams except England and Blackburn.

One half of Glasgow is very happy tonight, that's for sure.

I'm so fucking pissed. Worst Celtic performance ever.

Sack The Board
Sack Strachan And His Backroom Team
Sack 50% of the Playing Squad.

Revolution is required.

Haha, one in the eye for all the bigotted fuckers here in the Emerald Isle.

Newcastle lost 2-1 to Deportivo. Unfortunately that means they've snagged an away goal, but with any luck thy'll muck up the home leg, and Souness will be one step closer to joining the dole queue.

Mama Smurf

Oops, I did get it wrong. It's not Liverpool who are unseeded in the next round of qualifying, it's Everton.

Of course, that still means Liverpool could get Everton, but it counts out a huge chunk of the other teams.

ElyrionX

The way Chelsea is spending is just insane. Shaun Wright Phillips and Essien. And soon Shevchenko? That's just crazy. Chelsea will become unstoppable if they can get Shevchenko.....

I've been a Man U fan for 12 years running and this season is looking bleak indeed. How good is Park anyway? I've never seen him play before.

Our midfield is looking so bad. Scholes, Giggs and Keane are all going to retire at about the same time and the moment that occurs, we're so screwed. And if we were to lose Rio (ungrateful bastard), it's all over.

Hopefully, the rumours flying around about Ballack heading for United is true. And hopefully, Owen doesn't really come over. God, I hate Owen.

Mama Smurf

Why there are so many rumours surrounding Owen going to United is beyond me. I think he's a good player, if not to the degree some do, but of all the teams in the Premiership, United are the last that need him.

I don't think Chelsea will get Shevchenko. I'd like them to, I'd love to see him week in week out in the Premiership, but I'm not convinced he wants to come or that Milan would sell him or even that Chelsea are trying.

If they are though...if I was Milan, I'd be tempted. £60m is a hell of a lot of money, more than enough to buy two other world class strikers to take his place. And they would still have Gilardino, Vieri and Inzaghi up front, before they even bought anyone else. I know the last two are in their early 30s now, but surely they'd be good enough to support Gilardino as the main striker? Vieri scored 12 goals in Seria A last year, which I think would be pretty great alongside Giladrino's 24.

£60m is just so much, it's hard to turn down. Think what you could do with it. Even if you buy two £20m forwards, you'd still have £20m left to use elsewhere. Or how about one £25m forward, one younger promising £10m forward, a £15m midfielder and a £10m defender? Just so many options.

Still don't see it, but if Chelsea are actually putting in a bid of that much and Shevchenko didn't show signs of turning it down point blank...I might let him go.

Hooker

Sheva is worth more than £60m. Remember, he isn't just a couple of goals each year. He's a part of Milan, the heart almost (Maldini is the only one ahead of him)

Besides, what do you think the supporters will do once they find out their star striker has been sold...

Mama Smurf

Bitch and moan about it but still be there first day of the season?

No player is worth more than £60m. I don't care who they are, or which club they play for. The only reason such ridiculous numbers are thrown around is because it's Chelsea. Just like with Essien, before the Chelsea days Lyon would never have dared demand 30 whatever million for him as they'd know no club in the world would be willing to pay it for him, but as it's Chelsea they feel confident to push things as high as they can.

I can understand the being the heart of the club thing. In my view though, unless you actually have what basically amounts to unlimited funds like Chelsea, every player has his price. Shevchenko wasn't the heart of the club 7 years ago and he won't be in 10 years time, whether they sell him or not. New players will take that place, it's inevitable, but this way you get £60 million out of it.

I think Milan are in a nice position though. They can't really lose. They either keep a great striker and get a few more years top class football out of him (and probably a few further more years after that of good football), or they get £60m to strengthen an already fantastically strong squad. I'd certainly prefer to be a Milan fan than a Chelsea one when it comes to this issue.

EDIT: Oh yeah, I just looked up the fair play table for the Premisership last year, don't ask why. And ermm....oopsy. I'd like to apologise on behalf of Blackburn to all the other teams for being 13 POINTS adrift at the bottom of a table where the largest other gap is 5 points max.

Shinobi

Mama Smurf said:
Why there are so many rumours surrounding Owen going to United is beyond me. I think he's a good player, if not to the degree some do, but of all the teams in the Premiership, United are the last that need him.

Considering their putrid offensive output last season, I can certainly see why the Owen/United link is being made. The strikers they do have are talented enough though. I think if Van Nistoleroy (sp) gets it going again, it makes it easier for everyone else. The drought he had last year really seemed to have a huge affect on the entire team. So here's hoping he goes through a similiar spell. :lol

Baptista did the expected and rejected the Arsenal offer. Seems a lot of the players have taken the Viera sell off pretty hard as well. Which I find odd considering this guy threatened to fly outta Highbury every year this century.

Mama Smurf

Well Rooney missed the first month and a half with injury, Saha was injured most of last season and only started 11 games (and not in a row, he got injured 3 times), Alan Smith was injured for a little bit (I'd love to tell you how long, but the best I can find is Ferguson saying Smith will return to training on whenever) but still scored 10 goals in 27 starts, Van Nistelrooy missed a few months himself yet ended with 16 goals in 25 starts (not that far off Henry's goals/game ratio), and Solskjaer didn't play a single game due to his injury.

While I don't have the stats for overall, United finished the Premiership in 2004 with 64 goals, and in 2005 it was 58. A drop, yes, but not exactly huge. Quite a bit behind Chelsea and waaaay off Arsenal, but given the crap they went through with injuries, I wouldn't be too concerned.

Now if they stay relatively injury free this season and are still behind, then I'd worry.

Oh yeah, and a lot of Chelsea and Arsenal's goals come from the wings. Man Utd's wingers (Giggs, Ronaldo and Rooney [because I'm generous]) scored on average 1 goal every 4.71 starts, Arsenal's wingers (Pires, Ljungberg, Reyes) 1 goal every 2.58 starts and Chelsea's wingers (Duff, Robben, Cole) 1 goal every 3.39 starts. That's where I'd sort out their goalscoring before their strikers.

Hooker

UEFA Champions League draw:

Left are the placed teams -- Some nice matchups in here
Code:
FBK Kaunas / Liverpool			Slavia Praag 	
Manchester United 			Real Betis Sevilla 
Internazionale 				FC Basel 
Panatinaikos 				Wisla Krakow 
Artmedia Petrzalka / Celtic 		Udinese 
Villarreal				Partizan / Sheriff Tiraspol 
Sporting Lissabon  			Shakhtar Donetsk
AS Monaco 				Malmö FF / Maccabi Haifa 
Ajax 					Everton
Club Brugge 				Shelbourne / Steaua Boekarest
Anderlecht / Neftchi Baku 		Dinamo Tbilisi /Brøndby IF
Glasgow Rangers 			F91 Dudelange / Rapid Wien
Dinamo Kiev / FC Thun 			SK Tirana / CSKA Sofia
Werder Bremen 				Debreceni VSC / Hajduk Split
Rabotnicki Skopje / Lokomotiv Moskou 	Anorthosis Famagusta  / Trabzonspor
Rosenborg BK 				Vålerengen IF / FC Haka

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
So long everton...shame, i was looking forward to seeing Duncan Ferguson bullying continental defences.

Hooker

Yeah, Everton got a pretty tough draw. although Ajax hasn't been the same for quite some time now.

The form of the day will make out who progresses to the group stages. (Although Ajax at full strenght should always be able to beat Everton)

Mama Smurf

Ermm...that's not the draw. That's just the seeds seperated from the non-seeds.

Here's the draw:

Basle 1893 v Werder Bremen

CELTIC or Artmedia Bratislava v Partizan Belgrade or FC Sheriff

Shakhtar Donetsk v Inter Milan

Shelbourne or Steaua Bucharest v Rosenborg

MANCHESTER UNITED v Debrecen or Hajduk Split

Malmo or Maccabi Haifa v Dynamo Kiev or FC Thun

EVERTON v Villarreal

LIVERPOOL or Kaunas v CSKA Sofia or Dinamo Tirana

Sporting Lisbon v Udinese

Valerenga or FC Haka v Clube Brugge

Rapid Vienna or F91 Dudelange v Rabotnicki or Lokomotiv Moscow

Anderlecht or Neftchi v Slavia Prague

Trabzonspor or Anorthosis v RANGERS

Brondby or Dynamo Tbilisi v Ajax

Real Betis v Monaco

Wisla Krakow v Panathinaikos

Mama Smurf

Most of the bigger teams will be happy. Frankly I think Everton will be less happy with Villerael than they would have been with Ajax, it's a tough one for them. Doubt Villarael are thrilled about getting Everton either though.

Man Utd should be fine, but Liverpool would no doubt prefer to avoid CSKA, given that they're the UEFA Cup champions. Oh yeah, that means they're playing 3 teams now if they both go through, what with the Super Cup.

Wait, have I confused them with another team? I think I have! Hah, who won the UEFA Cup again?

Oops beaten to it. Everton still got a very tough draw, especially if Villarreal play anything like they did last year. To be honest I don't see them getting through, going to be a bit of a Newcastle I'm afraid. In fairness though, I'd rather see Villarreal in the CL than Everton, they played some great stuff last year.

Solid

chelsea beat milan a couple days ago, 1-0 :D

i also hope villarreal goes through. everton is not a team i want to see play, while i'd really like to see sorin, forlan, riquelme and figueroa play against teams like juve, chelsea, milan or whatever :)

Mama Smurf

Solid said:
chelsea beat milan a couple days ago, 1-0 :D

To be fair to Milan there was no Shevchenko or Kaka, but it was still a pretty strong side. As I understand it they're not as far into their preperation for the new seaosn as Chelsea, though to not get a shot on target is surprising.

i also hope villarreal goes through. everton is not a team i want to see play

Hey that's a good point, I hadn't thought of that. Normally I'll support any English team in Europe, but I really don't want to have to watch Everton games on TV when I could be seeing one of the others.

Hooker

Villareal is not that strong, AZ gave them the smack-down in the UEFA Cup last year. I still rather see them play instead of Everton though

CelticFC#1

Free Scotland in 2008
Partizan Belgrade, interesting.

We will win 6-0 on Tuesday. It’ll be 60,000 fans roaring the team on from the start, thirsting for blood, booing the oppositions every touch, singing for 90+ minutes and creating the most intimidating atmosphere that Bratislava has ever played in. We will do it. Best European Comeback Ever. Liverpool v Milan? Pfft.

And if we don't*... We'll be telling the board to sack themselves after 90 minutes.
:lol

* - WE WILL!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom