• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Destiny (Twitch streamer) discusses how money is made through Twitch streaming

Elfstruck

This is just crazy, I'm studying my butt off but I'm not sure I can make that much money. The guy Bjers something from TSM makes like $13000 a month from streaming.

Dude, check my other posts. With my student loans it's been tough where I live. I'm in a Chicago suburb where there are guys driving cars that cost $100K. Some parts of the country, money doesn't go very far.
Yea but if that streamer lived in low cost of living state he'd easily "beat" that 24 he old hire

border

The bolded is absurd. No skills?

1. Running his own website
2. Running social media sites
3. Running a youtube channel
4. Comfortable talking with sponsors
5. Knowledge and experience dealing with streaming hardware & software
6. Proof of years long work dedicated to making a living for himself
7. Ability to talk in front of a camera comfortably
8. Experience dealing with a fan base

These are all skills that could net you a job outside of streaming himself, and doing this all on your own shows an ability to be self motivated. Seriously how in the world can you even begin to say this guy or people like him would walk away from these things with nothing. As if they are 30+ year old HS grads with nothing to there name.

Even ignoring the fact that many of these skills are applicable outside the gaming industry, there will probably be all kinds of streaming-related jobs opening up at game developers, game publishers, and games media websites. Anyone who is really working at building a brand and a quality product could probably walk away and find a decent job with a private company of some sort. I'm sure there are people just have just lucked into their position without a lot of effort, but somebody like Destiny is definitely building a valuable resume.

Thoraxes

Dude, check my other posts. With my student loans it's been tough where I live. I'm in a Chicago suburb where there are guys driving cars that cost $100K. Some parts of the country, money doesn't go very far.

You must be on the north side burbs, heh.

That's the point. If it really requires that much work and the chances of having a long term career are that low then it's time to abandon ship and get on with your life. Playing video games for a life long career is not a smart idea.

Yes, I know you will mention some guy on twitch or some guy who just won some big competive game thing, but those are the far and few between.

I really worry about the guy who is early in his life and has a choice of having a career or doing twitch for a living and then 5-10 years pass and they have zero skills to show for it. Even the big youtube stars probably don't earn enough to substain a life if they don't save smart now.

Gaming is a hobby not a career.

Yikes.

With that attitude, I'm surprised your not taking away their ability to stream either.

How many times does a Twitch streamer or popular YouTube personality have to prove that being in the higher end of the formula is very financially stable, especially since with that kind of job, you can do it anywhere with low COL.

Also, there is a lot to be said about running your own business, which a lot of these people are doing as self-employed. They contract artists and other content creators to share the wealth and consolidate channels often to share viewership. They also often manage their own website and database solutions.

Even for the oldest LPers, just doing the YouTube/Twitch thing as a side income/second income stream is an option.

Frankly, a lot of channels do the review/preview thing much better than IGN could ever do.

Hell, If guys like DSP can make a job and gain viewership out of being a complete knob over video games...

diffusionx

Gold Member
Working 60 hours a week for $70,000 does not seem like a good deal to me. Especially since as a self-employed person they have to pay both sides of some taxes, get health insurance, etc. But, you know, there is something to be said for taking a haircut because you are doing something you enjoy. I don't really cry for musicians or artists or what have you who make a pittance. There is a value to do something you really enjoy and want to do.

I would have to make concessions to get by on $70k. $100k isn't the "you are wealthy" number it used to be in the 90s.

A single person making $100,000 is in the top 5% of Americans. It's wealthy. Yes, maybe you're living in a high cost area, but that's what a salary higher than 95% of Americans gets you.

johntown

Banned
Lirik has 10k subscribers. If that subscriber payout is the same for him as it is this guy, then he makes 20k/month on subscribers alone.

Wow! Why do so many people watch him? I watched his stream briefly for Killing Floor 2 and it didn't seem like anything special or particularly interesting to me.

Deku Tree

Fantastic income for playing Videogames 60 hours a week... I wonder if you still have "fun" playing the game every day though?

Froli

Man, Lirik got more than 10k subscribers with 25-30k average viewers. The highest among twitch streamers, with chat talk donations for minimum of 3 dollars (around 15-20 per hour) he plays around 8-10 hours, selling T shirts, got a Youtube channel.

Best of all, he plays the games he wants and doesn't need face cam.
He wins lol

JambiBum

Holy shit, 10k?!

He just reached 10k subscribers a couple of weeks ago. He averages around 20k viewers a day easily. The best part about Lirik is that he's still pretty much an old fashioned streamer where his channel is still about the games and viewers and not really about him. He doesn't have a face cam, doesn't stop what he's doing to go crazy over donations or subscribers, and he doesn't have obnoxious notifications. When he gets a new sub he'll say thanks but that's it. He'll read donation messages if they aren't dumb but most of the messages he gets are either helpful hints for whatever game he is playing or people just saying that they love his stream.

A single person making $100,000 is in the top 5% of Americans. It's wealthy. Yes, maybe you're living in a high cost area, but that's what a salary higher than 95% of Americans gets you.

Whut?

Care to post a source or citation for that number?

That back of the envelope math.

It's not that much that it is an interesting way of living for me. I prefer my job, where I have my garantuee to work there for a lot of years in the future, getting my money for 35h per week and enjoy videogames in the evening without the pressure of need to entertain some viewers and becoming a public person.

diffusionx

Gold Member
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...ousehold_Income_in_the_United_States_2012.png

it's more like top 25% make 100k+, if i'm reading that correctly.

You are, but that is household income. In other words, two people in a household make over $100k. I was talking about personal income.

The median household income in the USA is something like $50k. I'm not sure people, especially college educated and relatively affluent people, understand how little money most Americans make.

You are, but that is household income. In other words, two people in a household make over $100k. I was talking about personal income.

The median household income in the USA is something like $50k. I'm not sure people, especially college educated and relatively affluent people, understand how little money most Americans make.

This is the truth. I think sometimes people live in a little bubble.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_income_in_the_United_States#Income_distribution

Look at the last row. $100,000 or more puts you above 93.39% of Americans.

Personal income equals household income now?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Household_income_in_the_United_States

U.S. real (inflation adjusted) median household income was $51,939 in 2013 versus $51,759 in 2012, essentially unchanged. However, it has trended down since 2007, falling 8% from the pre-recession peak of $56,436. It remains below the 1999 record of $56,895. Household income is affected by a variety of factors, such as population aging and household composition

Per month
1k ad revenue
5k subscriber revenue
1.5-6k donations

It aint chump change for playing videogames.

It ain't "chump change" for anything. I don't think anyone in my peer group of educated (BA or better) and gainfully-employed 30-somethings makes that kind of money, and this is a job that not only can be performed from home, but also involves you doing something that (in most cases) you'd be doing anyway.

Mendrox

Holy shit, 10k?!

Yeah. People bitch about streamers, but these people earn more money than 3-4 of us combined monthly. It's a combination of kids that pay them and the momentary change in the entertainment business. People that never learned these things can easily entertain people on the internet. It's easy as setting up OBS, creating a twitch account and to start streaming. Of course... there are many other things in the background that have to be handled by the big streamers, but you get the gist.

It's the reason why I am streaming too, although I have a normal job. I build up a community, but I am also pushing other sites (I also got a very big hookah review site on youtube: ShishaForU 12.000 subs etc.) so that I can profit from this gold mine right now.

People that just hate give us more money so I don't mind all the hate against entertainer.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Lirik has 10k subscribers. If that subscriber payout is the same for him as it is this guy, then he makes 20k/month on subscribers alone.

Isn't he at or near the absolute top in popularity for solo streamers? Making around $500,000 a year is certainly very good, but not exactly amazing for someone near the absolute top, with a very good chance that popularity and salary won't last forever.

Still trying to get my head around the fact that people watch people playing games yet alone the money they make :S

Good luck to them I suppose.

It's a business model that eventually won't be able to sustain itself. Good for them to strike while the iron is hot, but if I were a "top streamer" I'd be banking the cash while I could and learning some real job skills on the side. I've seen more than my fair share of really big streamers who made bank have their channel crash in popularity when the next big thing comes along.

entremet

Yeah that's shit money. Be lucky to clear $70k

For playing video games from the comfort of your home, tho?

No commutes. No buying business attire. Not relying on the health of a company or economy as much as a regular worker?

And he learning tons of transferable skills, much more than a normal employee in a cube farm.

Selling and marketing alone are high in demand skills.

Also he seems to love what he's doing. Not many people can say that.

Godan

Yeah. People bitch about streamers, but these people earn more money than 3-4 of us combined monthly. It's a combination of kids that pay them and the momentary change in the entertainment business. People that never learned these things can easily entertain people on the internet. It's easy as setting up OBS, creating a twitch account and to start streaming. Of course... there are many other things in the background that have to be handled by the big streamers, but you get the gist.

It's the reason why I am streaming too, although I have a normal job. I build up a community, but I am also pushing other sites (I also got a very big hookah review site on youtube: ShishaForU 12.000 subs etc.) so that I can profit from this gold mine right now.

People that just hate give us more money so I don't mind all the hate against entertainer.

If you don't mind me asking has any of it paid off yet? Like have you started to make anything from it yet?

People who think a single person making $70k a year is barely getting by either have expensive tastes or live in high cost of living areas because a person making $70k a year is going to live pretty well in most places in the US. Hell a massive percent of Americans WISH they made $70k a year not to mention its $70k a year doing something they enjoy at that!

People who think a single person making $70k a year is barely getting by either have expensive tastes or live in high cost of living areas because a person making $70k a year is going to live pretty well in most places in the US.

There are a lot of things to take into account - taxes, health insurance, etc. I doubt the 70k goes straight into their pocket.

No commutes. No buying business attire. Not relying on the health of a company or economy as much as a regular worker?

And he learning tons of transferable skills, much more than a normal employee in a cube farm.

I'd get sick of playing the same regurgitated games like DOTA or LoL or Destiny, but I'd love to be able to stream RPGs, MLB matches, and CoD and get paid doing it.

There are a lot of things to take into account - taxes, health insurance, etc. I doubt the 70k goes straight into their pocket.
And? Even after that they are still making more money than the average american who has those very same things to pay which includes other self-employed.

Van Owen

Banned
I sort of wonder how big the middle class of Twitch streamers is. Like, how many people are making $60-80k with donations and everything vs those that make half a million or very little at all.

Hope a lot of these people are saving since most of their income comes from tips which can always change with the wind. Going to be interesting to see where Twitch is 5-10 yrs. I could see it going away or getting bigger.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
People who think a single person making $70k a year is barely getting by either have expensive tastes or live in high cost of living areas because a person making $70k a year is going to live pretty well in most places in the US. Hell a massive percent of Americans WISH they made $70k a year not to mention its $70k a year doing something they enjoy at that!

It's all relative to your expectations and plans. My area is not a high cost of living area and $70k would be rough.

Sure I could survive on that much, but it hasn't been my goal to do so since I started my career.

The origins my statements revolve around stating that it is definitely not a good career salary if you were self employed (tax implications are much higher and there are no health/retirement benefits). This compounds when you consider how much time is needed to get this going and maintain it.

Sure it's great if you are single, young, and putting yourself through university, but once you have a few degrees and a couple professional certifications there are better options to transition into your mid-endgame career.

Relying on that income as a sole career plan would be foolish and most of the top streamers know this. They have alternate plans and many of them are using this early windfall to build a foundation which will allow them to be more stable.

I sort of wonder how big the middle class of Twitch streamers is. Like, how many people are making $60-80k with donations and everything vs those that make half a million or very little at all.

Hope a lot of these people are saving since most of their income comes from tips which can always change with the wind. Going to be interesting to see where Twitch is 5-10 yrs. I could see it going away or getting bigger.

I know quite a few people who are trying really hard to break into becoming successful streamers and for the past year have only really been wasting their time.

Exile20

Really? It is far easier to plateau streaming then a regular job, even at McD.

You skills improve in the game that is all. What other skills do you learn year to year?

LevelNth

Banned
...but once you have a few degrees and a couple professional certifications there are better options to transition into your mid-endgame career.
VJsw1MaU_400x400.jpeg

Top Bottom