• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's a good mindless game to play?

I'm catching up on a bunch of podcasts and E-Books (because I'm lazy) and I enjoy playing games that don't take too much thought to play while doing so. I don't much care for stories at the moment and I'd rather play through a game without much of a story since I don't want to fade between seeing how the plot progresses (even if I can't hear what they're saying) and what I'm listening to. I also want a game that doesn't require hearing what's going on since I literally will not be listening to what's going on in the game at all. I'd play Bloodborne but listening to the subtle things is essential to surviving. So, shooters, stealth games, whatever, what do you guys recommend? I'm open for anything so long as it doesn't require too much thought.

Also, I currently only have a PS4 and a very incapable laptop, but recommendations for games from other systems is also appreciated since I do plan on buying more systems later on.

If you guys want some recommendations from myself, I recommend any multiplayer shooter you enjoy and don't mind sucking at in your half-distracted state and Diablo II/III. I do not recommend multiplayer games that truly require hearing your enemies' footsteps, gunshots, etc. to survive, like TLOU's multiplayer. There's plenty more but those are the only ones I can think of at 3 in the morning, so I might update the OP with more if I do think of them.

openrob

Currently playing through Bayonetta 1 (and then 2!) for the first time. I think that this type of game may fit the description.

Also, any platformer. I think the type of video game you are looking for was more common back in the day, so look at any retro game (or retro inspired games! Al la Shovel knight)

Into

Diablo is perfect, as are most MMOs

Also racing games, especially endurance races. I listened to a whole audiobook while doing Gran Turismo endurance race

Sports games also, the sound just becomes annoying and i mute all of them.

I love games like that, they are so relaxing

Hypron

Killing Floor 1/2 on normal/easy. You really don't have to think much, just mow down hordes of monsters with glorious guns.

When listening to podcasts I prefer puzzle games and turn-based RPGs e.g. first-person dungeon crawlers. I can't think of any suitable game for the PS4, but even an old laptop should be able to run many of the classics you can pick up from GOG.com.

I know it is mentioned in the OP, but it is easily the best podcast game,,,

h0Dv8Fdl.jpg

red731

I'm catching up on a bunch of podcasts and E-Books

Oh boy. You go and buy Euro Truck Simulator 2 right now.

Compare specs of your laptop to min reqs and see if that's your alley.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Minesweeper.

I mean technically there is a proper way to work out the solution but most people just go 'click click click oh I lost click click click oh I lost click click click oh I lost' over and over.

SPCTRE

Also, I currently only have a PS4 and a very incapable laptop, but recommendations for games from other systems is also appreciated since I do plan on buying more systems later on.
I don't know where you stand on driving games, but a game like THE CREW or Forza Horizon 2 might be nice as a backdrop for listening to podcasts or audio books.

Percy

Banned
Destiny? Diablo 3? Zombie Army Trilogy?

Possibly even Warframe could do it if you don't feel like spending any money.

GTAV, Just Cause 2, Far Cry 3, Crackdown -- fun open worlds where you can just mess about and wreck shit. I'd say GTAV is the best out of these because of the sheer variety of activities, but JC2 is a lot of fun too.

Kuksune

Skate 1-3. When you learn how to do cool moves you can just relax in the cities and suddenly 4 hours has passed.

I do the exact same thing. I think most single player games are pretty mindless though as long as it doesn't require reading. Lately I've been playing Risk of Rain. Some other good titles include Sonic Generations, Pixel Junk Eden, Dark Siders, NiGHTS into Dreams, The Saints Row games, racing games are good for that too.

red720

I'm catching up on a bunch of podcasts and E-Books *snip*

I started to listen to ebooks when I had knee surgery and had to ride a stationary bike, I ended up really enjoying it. I really reccomend doing excersise when listening to audio books. I would get engrossed in the story and not even notice I was running, some times I would finish my run but not want to stop listening so I would run further - it's really like you are getting excersise for free!

I highly reccomend going for a run or even a long walk, over playing video games while listening to audio books. Free excersise is great.

Lol. Almost everyone's saying Diablo III, that was my go to for a while but I got kind of bored of it. I think I might give it another go since it's been a few months. I might start using the Witch Doctor as my new main since the Demon Hunter got pretty boring. Paragon levels apply to all characters, right?

Currently playing through Bayonetta 1 (and then 2!) for the first time. I think that this type of game may fit the description.

Also, any platformer. I think the type of video game you are looking for was more common back in the day, so look at any retro game (or retro inspired games! Al la Shovel knight)

Oh man, I was seriously thinking about Shovel Knight earlier today. I put it in my cart and was debating on whether I should get it now or when it's safer to do so (next week, after my paycheck). I settled on getting it next week but it's staying in my cart.

Diablo is perfect, as are most MMOs

Also racing games, especially endurance races. I listened to a whole audiobook while doing Gran Turismo endurance race

Sports games also, the sound just becomes annoying and i mute all of them.

I love games like that, they are so relaxing

Been playing Driveclub's time trial circuit races. Infinite laps and pure bliss in my BMW M4, though I do have to take a break from it. I don't know why, but I can't stick with one game for too long anymore, especially if I'm not even really paying attention to it. Probably ADHD, but I'd rather not self-diagnose. Most definitely ADHD.

I'm terrible at sports games but I do want to give NBA 2K15 (or just wait for 2K16) and MLB The Show a try.

Oh boy. You go and buy Euro Truck Simulator 2 right now.

Compare specs of your laptop to min reqs and see if that's your alley.

Lol. I might as well become a real truck driver since that's exactly what my uncle does, but I will think about it since there's something strangely appealing about it.

I started to listen to ebooks when I had knee surgery and had to ride a stationary bike, I ended up really enjoying it. I really reccomend doing excersise when listening to audio books. I would get engrossed in the story and not even notice I was running, some times I would finish my run but not want to stop listening so I would run further - it's really like you are getting excersise for free!

I highly reccomend going for a run or even a long walk, over playing video games while listening to audio books. Free excersise is great.

I really want to but I'm big on having good audio quality. It's not really practical to run around with headphones on, but I guess I can make do with the stock earbuds that came with my phone. I mean, it's not just wasting time since I actually will be working out so I'd be killing two birds with one stone.

red720

I really want to but I'm big on having good audio quality. It's not really practical to run around with headphones on, but I guess I can make do with the stock earbuds that came with my phone. I mean, it's not just wasting time since I actually will be working out so I'd be killing two birds with one stone.

I used earbuds, I'm kind of irresponsible like that. I didn't mention cycling as you'd have to be stupid
like me
to ride a bike while listening to audiobooks on earbuds...

Komo

Banned
Racing games that often have long-ish (Gran Turismo in particular) races are a perfect match for podcasts, imo

I don't know where you stand on driving games, but a game like THE CREW or Forza Horizon 2 might be nice as a backdrop for listening to podcasts or audio books.

Forza Horizon 2 is definitely on my list. I don't think I'll get The Crew since the mechanics don't seem to really do it for me.

But you mentioning Forza Horizon 2 just makes me think about the MCC and it makes me sort of depressed. I've been hearing that though matchmaking has gotten better, the player base is really small. Halo 2 MP would've been amazing while listening to podcasts/E-Books, plus I won't hear XBL kids yelling at me. Will probably play Halo 5 a great deal, though.

Red Hood

Banned
CQC maps in Battlefield 3. It's what I usually do when it's a very boring afternoon....

Speaking of which, this afternoon feels very boring, I'll play a little CQC.

Top Bottom