• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What's a good mindless game to play?

rogue legacy - you can overthink it or just dive in mindlessly and it's fun either way.

Already played it, on NG+++ but starting a new legacy might be fun.

Luftrausers. Best time killer in years.

Woah, didn't even think of that. Don't think it's available on the PS4, though. Had it on Vita/PS3, but my parents use my PS3 and I sold my Vita. :(

But man, do I want to play Luftrausers now.

Drac84

Destiny. Also any of the gather quests in Ubisoft games. Driveclub or any other racer too.

Grinding in RPGs is always mindless. I watched the behavioural evolution Stanford lecture series while levelling in Xenoblade, and the soundtrack to Dragon Age Inquisition for me was an audio book reading of a Confederacy of Dunces.

X-arlo

Neo Member
Jeez the way people describe Diablo 3 in this thread... Is it really that bad?

edit: I mean I appreciate some praise it for its "mindless" quality (as in the OP), but nonetheless ...

What the hell is a podcast and why do people listen to them?
Is it just people talking?

podcast aka " sports radio "

" mindless " to me is more geared toward the game that really requires little skill to enjoy and there really is no penalty for losing. So basically any competitive shooter. Mindlessly run out into the field of battle, press a button when pointed at the enemy, throw some grenades, hope you get a kill, die, rinse and repeat

I don't really play them so much anymore, but the lego games used to be really good to just turn on and smash stuff while you listen to a podcast. Although the modern ones have talking now so I imagine that that might get in the way a bit.

KHlover

Banned
BeatHazard is great. Twin Stick shooter where you load your own music into the game and the special effects are based on your music. Very cool game which you can always fire for a few minutes just to enjoy the music and blow some stuff up.

Quoting myself from another thread here.

eFKac

Wanted to say Warhammer 40k Space Marine (god tier game) but if you only have a PS4 then I'll have to say Diablo 3, Ochecabara Z2 (however you spell that crazy name) or any Musou game.

Edit. How the hell did I forget Hotline Miami games?
They are perfect, you get into this Zen state of mind and go on and on, there might be a little bit of frustration sometimes but it's just so good.

Psoelberg

I only got a ps4 at the moment. My own "mindless games list":

Minecraft
Rogue Legacy
Driveclub
Diablo 3

Sometimes GTAV, but then I mostly just get in a car and drive around, enjoying the view.

What the hell is a podcast and why do people listen to them?
Is it just people talking?

I mostly listens to them because there are a lot of good debates, interesting stories (like Serial), and it is a good, somewhat passiv and easy way to learn new things and being updated on news.

KKRT00

Jeez the way people describe Diablo 3 in this thread... Is it really that bad?

edit: I mean I appreciate some praise it for its "mindless" quality (as in the OP), but nonetheless ...

Yep, pretty much You dont have control over engagements, so You need to build character over sustaining damage.
Progression is as linear as You can make it in ARPG, so there is not much decision making either.
End game pretty much focus on using skills and items that deals AOE damage to almost whole screen, so targeting is not an issue either for the most part.

I generally use Gran Turismo (6 at this point) or Diablo III (yes I know its in the OP) or Minecraft on Peaceful difficulty or even GTA5 and just drive around doing anything but Story Missions.

Shew

Neo Member
I usually just boot up a sonic game or animal crossing when i want something mindless

Grinding pokemon/breeding gets the job done too

I've been playing Torchlight 2 recently, and it's been a pretty good fit with podcasts. You can basically play it on autopilot and none of the dialogue is all there interesting or important. You can zone out and play something while listening to your own stories.

My personal favourite game to do this to though is still Minecraft. There's almost something zen about it.

Anteater

beat'em'up like yakuza, especially with all the story cutscenes it's basically like playing a japanese tv drama, there's the simple beat'em'up aspect, the "random battles" and dozen of funny sidequests.

CHC

WoW: questing / leveling.

GTA V: driving around doing whatever, bicycling, scuba diving, etc.

Need for Speed (any of them but I like Hot Pursuit 2010): Solo time trials drifting around beaitiful roads.

Zareka

Call of Duty and The Sims are my go to mindless games. I can tune out for hours with some music on and just play.

MMO healing when you're overgeared amounts to watching bars go up and down and spamming /dance, so that too.

Rail Shooters like REZ HD and Child of Eden

Space Marine 40K
Streets of Rage 2
Call of Juarez: Gunslinger's main campaign & score attack
Geometry Wars

barit

Already said it in another thread. Fat Princess: Piece of cake for Vita

Game is an amazing time killer. Only letdown it is F2P with ugly IAP and limits. But if you pay 15$ you can get rid of that stamina limit and have fun for hours. Everyone should try it

Top Bottom