• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAX Prime 2015 Attendees Thread

krae_man

SNjmPmJ.png

What is it?

PAX Prime is a 4 day geek culture convention with video games as the focal point. There's an expo hall where you can demo some games before they come out, panels you can check out, a tabletop area, console freeplay, tournaments, concerts etc

When is It?

Sept 2-5, 2016

Where is it?

Washington State Convention Center, Seattle Washington

Expo Hall hours?

Show Floor is 10am-6pm each day. Other parts like the console freeplay, tabletop area etc are 10am-12am Fri-Sun and 10am-7pm Monday.

How much are tickets?

Tickets were $45/day but are now sold out. If you want tickets now you'll need to buy through a third party. There are often people selling tickets outside the convention center and PAX has a badge verification check you can use to verify a badges authenticity before purchasing. Do not buy from a third party outside the convention center unless the seller is willing to go with you to verify the badge.

fDj3KB9.jpg

The nearest airport is Seattle-Tacoma. The airport code is SEA.

Once you arrive at the airport, you can take the Light Rail link to downtown Seattle for only $3. Here are the last few light rail stops(note Convention center is on the corner of 7th and Pike):
YeV0F1v.jpg

You can walk to your hotel from there pretty easily if you picked one near the convention center.

The Light Rail now also continues on to Capital Hill and Washington University so you have more options to mass transit places.

lrKBg6R.jpg

The best place to book a hotel is through the official hotel list which you can access here:

https://compass.onpeak.com/e/43PPX16/0

Most stuff is already booked up but you might get lucky with a last minute cancellation. Otherwise you can check out what is available through others sites.

OmiEK9Y.jpg

Floor plans!

W8kBgs2.jpg

Panel list(subject to change) is available now via the Guidebook app. Just search PAX Prime 2015 on Google Play or iTunes or view the mobile app online here. Schedule is posted here on the PAX West website as well..

Main Theatre: Benaroya Hall
Chipmunk theatre: Convention Center, Level 6
Chicken Theatre: Convention Center, Level 6
Hydra Theatre: Grand Hyatt, Level 1
Hippogriff Theatre: Grand Hyatt, Level 1
Sasquatch Theatre: Sheraton, Level 2
Sphinx Theatre: Sheraton, Level 3
Wyvern Theatre: Westin, Level 4

The Westin is a bit of a walk from the Convention Center so give yourself some extra time if you plan on attending a panel in the Westin. It's on the corner of 5th, Stewart, and Westlake(yep three corners).

Q) I'm not at PAX, any way I can experience it at home?
A) Yes PAX streams some panels. Last year they streamed the Main and Hedgehog theatres on the following channels:

www.twitch.tv/pax will be streaming the main theatre(I think)

www.twitch.tv/pax2 will be streaming the hydra theatre

www.twitch.tv/pax3 will be streaming the wyvern theatre

823FxYK.jpg

1) No more Queue hall. Instead there will be two places where you can enter the convention now. The first is the main entrance on the corner on 7th and Pike, and the other is the Annex.

Secret Entrance to Expo Hall?

2) Console freeplay and tourny are on the first two floors of the anex.

3) PAX Arena has moved to the convention center.

3) Swag Bags are in the Sheraton Level 2

4) Classic Arcade is in the Hyatt Level 1.

5) VR Freeplay in the Westin on Level 4 all day long. No idea how long the lines will be or how massive the pinkeye plague will be. Bring your own babywipes and sanitizer to bathe in before and after I guess.

ojZoIAZ.jpg

-Check out the exhibit hall and play some unreleased games
-Go to some panels. There is a wide variety so there is bound to be some you are interested in
-Console Free play. Borrow a game and play it on a number of retro consoles in the free play room. All free
-Table Top: Take part in some table top games in the tabletop area
-Retro Arcade. Play some cool old arcade and pinball games
-Tournaments. Throughout PAX there will be tournaments for various games. Games and times are in the schedule

HrfaFJ8.jpg

Gameworks
Gameworks is a Barcade with tons of arcade machines. and it's pretty much right across the street from the convention center

Seattle Space Needle
The Space Needle isn't too far away from the convention center.

Top Pot Donuts
Delicious, delicious donuts

Seattle Monorail
yajcwXM.jpg

:lol

unA9Hsj.jpg

Date and Time to be determined shortly.

tmFKv2E.jpg

A complete list of PAX parties can be found here:

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/206295/pax-west-party-line-2016

nWDvQ9N.jpg

-Snacks and Water. You're going to be waiting in line a lot to get into your favorite panels and to try the lateset games. It always helps to have snacks and beverages so you don't have to decide between waiting in line for food or going to another panel/playing another game.

Hand Sanitizer There will be plenty available for you to use around the convention center but it's always best to have your own in case it's just out of reach.

-Handheld game systems. Bring your 3DS. PAX is a street pass goldmine. Collect those puzzle pieces, grow those plants, kill those ghosts etc

-Something to sit on. The floor can be hard on the old backside. Bring a cushon with you, or for elite level line waiting, bring a slacker stool.

-A easy to carry bag. You're going to need it for all the above, plus the swag you'll get. Don't go overboard though as you will have to carry everything with you all day. You're not backpacking across Europe. Some people bring poster tubes to keep posters they acquire in good condition.

-Your cellphone battery will not last. Conventions are murder on your battery. I strongly recommend investing in a external battery pack of some kind.

-How long should you wait in line for a panel? Most stuff you're fine if you're there 30 minutes early. Some stuff like the Keynote and the PAX Rumble panel always book up fast. Other times popular panels end up in smaller theatres and book up insanely fast too. If you absolutely positively must see a panel and are willing to wait whatever it takes, look at the schedule and see what time the panel before it starts. The second that panel begins is the earliest you can line up(typically 90 minutes early)

-Get your sleep. you probably don't need the full 8 hours, but you don't want to be getting back to your hotel room at 4am and then waking up at 7 so you can be near the front of the line for when the convention center opens at 10am the next day.

-You might not be able to see/do everything. Pick your priorities and wait it out.

-Go to the GAF meetup/other meetups. My favorite part of conventions is meeting people I've been chatting online with for years. If you take the chance and do it, It'll become yours too. Doesn't have to be GAF. Are you part of a subreddit that is having a meetup at the convention? a Playstaiton Fansite etc? Consider attending them.

-Have Fun

Mazre

Was in queue immediately and still had to get single days, though did manage a pair of Fri through Sunday.

Was not expecting it today. Luckily my friend texted me and I'm at home. now i have to figure out why my twitter notification didn't go off. :/

Wish you folk luck. I'll be trying to go back to PAX East next year after taking 2 years off and I'm not looking forward to trying for tickets.

Psykoboy2

If someone gets an extra set of 4 days, I'd like to offer to buy them off you.

Nevermind. I didn't think I had the funds to buy them right now, but...turns out I did. Just got my tickets!

Just started work when I read the message and scrambled out to a good signal on my phone.
Waiting and registration was not much of a problem and I got Saturday, Sunday, and Monday passes.

*whew* Now I can rest easy.

(I didn't get the Friday pass because I don't know what my work is like in August. Once I do, I may buy a Friday pass from someone who can't go)

Too bad there's no 4-day anymore.

krae_man

On peak crashed on me upon checkout for my hotel. No biggie on that. Hotels are not as important as badges. Lots of time as people cancel rooms. Especially when you only need one bed.

Genji

Got my sets, although it only let me buy 3 of each even though it said 4 was the max. Kept giving me an error until I changed the #.

Patryn

that isn't working for whatever reason though, you can only get 8 tickets max for some odd reason

Odd.

I only ordered 8 tickets (2 full sets), but it definitely showed 4 in each of the day dropdowns for me.

Can you sell tickets to anyone if I can't go?

Tickets are not personally bound, no. The only exception is picking them up at Will Call, where you will need to show ID to get them. But once you possess them, there's nothing tying them to you.

that isn't working for whatever reason though, you can only get 8 tickets max for some odd reason

Yeah, on my phone it only allowed me to do 4; luckily I had my computer's browser up to. So I managed to grab 4-Fri and 4-Sat in 2 different transactions.

Emailed them to double check (so I don't get booted.)

We'll see what happens.

Odd.
Tickets are not personally bound, no. The only exception is picking them up at Will Call, where you will need to show ID to get them. But once you possess them, there's nothing tying them to you.

So If I can't go to PAX there is no way to return or sell them?

Thanks

Have fun and good luck everyone! Did my first two PAX's the last two years. Loved it, but a bit burnt out, so I'll be sitting this year out.

Patryn

I feel like demand is lower this year.

The change/possible glitch? that is limiting people to only 2 full sets is also likely helping slow down the sell-out rate.

So If I can't go to PAX there is no way to return or sell them?

Thanks

Sorry if I was unclear. Will Call is only one option for picking your tickets up, and only available for international orders. Otherwise, they mail you your tickets. At that point you can sell them if you so wish.

UberTag

On peak crashed on me upon checkout for my hotel. No biggie on that. Hotels are not as important as badges. Lots of time as people cancel rooms. Especially when you only need one bed.
Oooh... I've never found myself in a PAX queue mere minutes after it opened before.
I wonder how much airfare is from K-W to Seattle.
Hmmm... looks like a smidge over $700. That's not all that terrible, really.
$550 out of Pearson. $400 out of Buffalo-Niagara. Very reasonable.

krae_man

Odd.

I only ordered 8 tickets (2 full sets), but it definitely showed 4 in each of the day dropdowns for me.

That's what happen to me. Could add 4, was told I had too many. Had to only add 2 of each.

Oh well. Sucks for gaffers as I always sell my extras at cost.

Virdix

I was in the FUCKING SHOWER checked twitter cause ENB Favorited one of my tweets and got in the queue just check out holy shit.

Ran to my computer dripping wet to tell my friends via facebook, got 4 Saturday passes.

bounchfx

whew, thank you for this thread. saw it as soon as I woke up and dashed to the computer. Got myself some tickets!

Patryn

What the hell. They said LATER IN MAY so I let my guard down. Nice work PAX lol

I'm in queue, here's hoping!

While technically correct (it is later in May than when they sent that message), I agree it's deceptive. Later in May sounds like the back half of the month to me.

Keby

I'm so happy the abolished 4 day passes and just made more one day passes available. It's been 30 minutes and most days are still available.

Cat Party

Realized while in the queue that it's not labor day weekend this year, so I can't even go. Was able to get tickets for a friend though, so that's cool.

Top Bottom