• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PAX Prime 2015 Attendees Thread

Yeah I would like to know this also.

Grand Hyatt is right next door, essentially a part of the con itself. Solid, but bit pricy, though.
I stayed at the Hotel Max last year - $207 a night for a room that can comfortably fit 2, and uncomfortably fit 3-4. Four blocks away, and great atmosphere. Returning this year.
There's also apparently a hostel nearby for $32 a night, if you're playing it cheap.

krae_man

Orbitz is broken right now, it will only look at flight/ hotel packages with shitty airports and 2 connections. I don't have free reign of all flights.

riotous

Banned
Worst case scenario, there are plenty of scalpers on the street in Seattle. Just make sure you get any potential badges checked out with Enforcers to make sure they're legit before buying passes on the street.

Does this even matter? The entries are "guarded" by people who are just barely glancing at everyone's passes.

(not that it isn't a bad idea to make sure they are legit, but seems far fetched you'd actually not get to go because of it)

Patryn

Does this even matter? The entries are "guarded" by people who are just barely glancing at everyone's passes.

(not that it isn't a bad idea to make sure they are legit, but seems far fetched you'd actually not get to go because of it)

They have actually kicked people out because they don't have legit passes, yes.

A couple years ago the Fire Marshal almost shut them down due to fake passes, which led to way too many people being in the building and violating the fire code.

riotous

Banned
They have actually kicked people out because they don't have legit passes, yes.

A couple years ago the Fire Marshal almost shut them down due to fake passes, which led to way too many people being in the building and violating the fire code.

Interesting; I guess there could be some bad fakes out there. There is that shiny do-dad on them usually that I bet is hard to replicate.

They've gotten better about badge checks. Last year they had blacklights that you had to pass through, which would reveal a concealed design on the pass. No secret design = fake pass.

I'm sure you could beat the system, but it's not fun.

Reddit's /r/paxpassexchange community is pretty solid for selling & trading badges. Last year I got a few at face value there, not long before the con itself.

I don't know how they can fix demand even if too much of it is from scalpers. Most suggestions I read come across as selfish ideas rather than a solution that gives a fair shot to anyone.

Limit Tix to 3 PP, not sure how they fix it, but that's ridiculous. The Javitz Center has the car show every yr with no issue with way more attendees. Something needs to be done though.

riotous

Banned
They've gotten better about badge checks. Last year they had blacklights that you had to pass through, which would reveal a concealed design on the pass. No secret design = fake pass.

Ah I remember the big black lights now.

Would be kind of fun to try.. with a legit pass in your pocket to reveal that you are just messing around lol.

(bad idea)

riotous

Banned
Got a couple generous offers for face-value or near face-value tickets from GAFers last year; so those without tickets.. you might still have a chance.

Firestorm

GAF helps GAF. I was able to sell and buy from GAFfers at face value every year.

I was able to book Springhill Suites using the PAX booking site after waiting in the 1000 person queue... Next I just gotta get tickets.

Yeah, I am in the looking for passes boat as well for everything but Monday (flying home early because I have to be back by Tuesday morning). Kind of bummed, too, but those who are going: have fun! It's a blast. :)

thuway

I just need a spare Saturday ticket for a family member. If we can all do something on Saturday it would be a blast to meet up with everyone on that day. The best part of Pax is the GAF meetup.

krae_man

Okay got more then enough PMs. Showclix was broken early and only allowed 2 sets instead of 4 in error and Official_pax tweeted email us and we will fix.

Hopefully that means they will confirm order times and have inventory to give.

Hopefully I will have two more sets to offer.

*fingers crossed*

thuway

Okay got more then enough PMs. Showclix was broken early and only allowed 2 sets instead of 4 in error and Official_pax tweeted email us and we will fix.

*fingers crossed*

+1 for this guy. ^^^

Macca

*fingers crossed*
Gotta appreciate people like this!

Nyoro SF

*fingers crossed*

Thanks a lot man :)

Now.... does anyone need a Monday badge? I'll sell my extra one at cost. I know it's not very likely that someone only needs Monday, but I figure I might as well try. PM if interested.

Looking for 2 (possibly 3) badges for Friday and Saturday. Name your price!

Also, If anyone could direct me to where I could possibly buy badges from people that are "reselling" them, I would be most appreciative!

Edit: Are badges bound to the names of those who originally bought/registered them?

TheGrue

Got my tickets for Fri-Sun. This will make the 9th year in a row I'm going. Unfortunately, my friend that I always meet in Seattle to hang out with decided not to go this year. The good news, though, is it becomes a trip for just my son and I.

dLMN8R

Guys, look outside of downtown for hotels. Seriously. There are so many options that are directly along bus routes that will take you straight into downtown with no transfers.

Moofers

I got somebody looking for 1 pass for each of the four days if anyone is looking to offload extras. Pm me and I'll give you his email. Thanks in advance!

thuway

Guys, look outside of downtown for hotels. Seriously. There are so many options that are directly along bus routes that will take you straight into downtown with no transfers.

I reccomend people look into the other cities in King County. Lynnwood, Renton, Auburn, Kent - the bus ride is a little long, but you'll save yourself a huge fee of stay.

dLMN8R

If the buses stop, you can always just get a taxi or carpool.

Or Uber/Lyft, which are all over Seattle.

But most of the busses run late.

Just use Google / Bing / whatever maps to look for routes between potential hotels and the convention center.

krae_man

Proximity to the convention centre is definitely valuable when you want to drop off swag/purchases at your hotel. No fun dragging everything along with you all day because you don't want to lose an hour or two of show floor time making a round trip.

Definitely truth to that, but for those of you that are discouraged by price, definitely check out some of the surrounding neighborhoods like Queen Anne, Fremont, or Ballard. Literally takes no longer than 15 minutes by bus and no transfers at all. Super easy. It's how a lot of us commute to work everyday.

Curler

Unconfirmed Member
Hmmm anyone happen to have 2 extra Sunday or 2 Mondays? Hopefully Sunday if anything as priority, because I'm not expecting Sat.

EDIT: Got some.

sikkinixx

I almost threw my phone when I saw "1h ago: PAX TICKETS ON SALE!". I've had that fucking thing glued to my side for two months waiting and I miss them because I'm working.

Hopefully some kind soul here will sell me a pass when it's happening like the last few years. Can't break the streak.

Got my tix for Saturday. I went 2 days the first year, and it was a bit too much. 1 day seems to be enough for me. Enough time to cruise around the main floor, stand in line for 2 or 3 of the big games I want to see, get some street passes, watch the insane cosplayers, etc. Oh, and attend the Giant Bomb live panel in the evening. Makes for a pretty fun day, and a dandy yearly tradition!

finalflame

Any GAFfers wanna sell me Saturday and/or Sunday badges at a reasonable markup over face value? I snagged a Friday but wasn't quick enough to get a 3 or 4 day pass :/

Allforce

I went in 2013 for my first PAX and after dealing with the stress of waiting for the ticket drop to happen and actually score, only to arrive on Day 1 and see about 50 scalpers out front with passes available for every day I told myself I'd never deal with their insane method of ticketing again. If losing out on today's sale has you miffed, just book a flight and hotel anyways and just GO. You WILL get in and get to experience PAX Prime, and it's worth the trip.

I also never stay at the "reserved" hotels. 240 a night is ridiculous when you can usually book at a lot of nice nearby places if you're willing to walk about 15-20 minutes. Even further away is easier than ever with how cheap and fast Uber is nowadays. We stayed in Belltown (sp?) last time and it was awesome. Tons of bars and restaurants, and half the price of staying in one of the giant hotels reserved for PAX.

finalflame

I went in 2013 for my first PAX and after dealing with the stress of waiting for the ticket drop to happen and actually score, only to arrive on Day 1 and see about 50 scalpers out front with passes available for every day I told myself I'd never deal with their insane method of ticketing again. If losing out on today's sale has you miffed, just book a flight and hotel anyways and just GO. You WILL get in and get to experience PAX Prime, and it's worth the trip.

I also never stay at the "reserved" hotels. 240 a night is ridiculous when you can usually book at a lot of nice nearby places if you're willing to walk about 15-20 minutes. Even further away is easier than ever with how cheap and fast Uber is nowadays. We stayed in Belltown (sp?) last time and it was awesome. Tons of bars and restaurants, and half the price of staying in one of the giant hotels reserved for PAX.

Good points, but I would expect Uber to be on 2x+ surge pricing for the duration of PAX.

element

I reccomend people look into the other cities in King County. Lynnwood, Renton, Auburn, Kent - the bus ride is a little long, but you'll save yourself a huge fee of stay.
Kent, Auburn, and Lynnwood are pretty damn far away. I live in downtown and that would be lame making that commute in each day. Also between the car rental/transportation, parking and just time staying in those cities wouldn't save you that much money.

Bellevue and Eastgate (part of Bellevue) are super easy to get to the Convention Center. Also don't forget AirBnB, just a quick look there are tons of apts in downtown, Capital Hill and South Lake Union.

I also never stay at the "reserved" hotels. $240 a night is ridiculous when you can usually book at a lot of nice nearby places if you're willing to walk about 15-20 minutes.
$240 isn't bad for some of the hotels that they had at that price. Olive 8 is great for that price and W Hotel at $200 a night isn't bad. It isn't like you are going to find some amazing hotel for $100. Even a 20 min walk which would place you around Seattle Center if north or Stadiums if south, there just aren't lot of options. Unless you want to say on hotels on 99 around Fremont or around Seatac.

dLMN8R

Just do a search on Expedia and look for hotels right along Highway 99. For example:

I found two hotels that have available rooms during PAX for around $100/night.

For example, "Extended Stay America Seattle - Northgate". Even that hotel is just a 35-40 minute straight shot on a single bus (including walking time) to get to the convention center.

element

How late do the buses run though?
Buses run all night. Though after midnight most drop to coming around once an hour. Don't forget that M-F have different schedules than Sat and especially Sun.

Just do a search on Expedia and look for hotels right along Highway 99. For example:

I found two hotels that have available rooms during PAX for around $100/night.

For example, "Extended Stay America Seattle - Northgate". Even that hotel is just a 35-40 minute straight shot on a single bus (including walking time) to get to the convention center.
I wouldn't recommend any hotels on Highway 99. Some shady stuff happens on 99.

stublag

Neo Member
I wouldn't recommend any hotels on Highway 99. Some shady stuff happens on 99.

I live right off 99 and can attest to the generally shitty nature of the hotels on 99. That said, there are some newer ones (Staybridge Suites) that just opened up. Looks like it's just as expensive as some closer hotels though.

Top Bottom