• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What the hell are they eating in Good, Bad, and the Ugly?

Status
Not open for further replies.

temp

posting on contract only
What is this?! I've been wondering about it for years and I feel like eating whatever it is every time I watch this movie.

cleef17hr.gif

cleef20we.gif

cleef2jv.gif

Someone tell me what the hell they're eating.

Ichirou

Banned
temp said:
What is this?! I've been wondering about it for years and I feel like eating whatever it is every time I watch this movie.

Someone tell me what the hell they're eating.

Looks like soup made with beans.

temp

posting on contract only
I didn't even know beans could be that big. They always looked like peppers or something to me.

mattx5

That's seriously one of my favorite scenes.

I love scenes in movies with people eating, especially if they're done with taste.

It's hard to explain, maybe I'm nuts.

Ichirou

Banned
temp said:
I didn't even know beans could be that big. They always looked like peppers or something to me.

Well, the beans people eat in the US aren't really that big...the beans in Spain (where this was filmed) grow much bigger.

Willco

Hollywood Square
Ichirou_Oogami said:
Well, the beans people eat in the US aren't really that big...the beans in Spain (where this was filmed) grow much bigger.

Damn, you're like the Encyclopedia Brown of film. Tuco did it in the kitchen with the ice pick! Take that, Blondie!

temp

posting on contract only
Ichirou_Oogami said:
Beans? Damn it, that's disappointing. I wish you hadn't responded at all.

Willco

Hollywood Square
Squash?

I take it back. Ichirou_Oogami has failed us. If he was a detective, he would've arrested the wrong man and the killer would still be on the loose, free to murder and pillage. Thanks a lot, Ichirou_Oogami!

temp

posting on contract only
Outlaw said:
Yes I am sure. My mom makes it all the time with pork meat. It's awesome :)
Haha, awesome. I didn't figure anyone would actually know what that was; thanks.

Beans? Haha, what a moron.

Ichirou

Banned
temp said:
Beans? Haha, what a moron.

I said it looks like beans, and it still does to me. My family's from Spain, I've eaten it before. :p

Unfortunately, the only people who would know for sure, Sergio Leone and Lee Van Cleef, are both dead. As such, this will forever remain one of the great mysteries of cinema.

Outlaw said:
Yes I am sure. My mom makes it all the time with pork meat. It's awesome :)

Where are you from? This makes no sense in the context of the film's production. Squash is not native to Spain, where this was filmed.

Willco said:
I take it back. Ichirou_Oogami has failed us. If he was a detective, he would've arrested the wrong man and the killer would still be on the loose, free to murder and pillage. Thanks a lot, Ichirou_Oogami!

Oh, ye of little faith. Do not doubt my bean identification skillz.

Outlaw said:
Its squash or how we say it in spanish, Calabaza.

And btw, calabaza means 'pumpkin.' I actually consulted a couple of dictionaries and I guess it can mean both, but the popular usage, at least in Spain, is 'pumpkin.'

mattx5 said:
That's seriously one of my favorite scenes.

I love scenes in movies with people eating, especially if they're done with taste.

It's hard to explain, maybe I'm nuts.
I DO THAT TOO!!! Same for books. I used to reread books all the time for the food parts. The scene where they're eating that imaginary feast in Hook was my all time favorite. :D

Ichirou

Banned
CrystalGemini said:
I DO THAT TOO!!! Same for books. I used to reread books all the time for the food parts. The scene where they're eating that imaginary feast in Hook was my all time favorite. :D

That's a shit movie, though, whereas TGTBATU is one of the greatest films of all time. :(

temp

posting on contract only
Verboten said:
What about the scene right after that when Angel Eyes kills the son? What a bastard.
More importantly, what are they eating when Angel Eyes beats the crap out of Tuco?

Ichirou

Banned
Verboten said:
I haven't seen it in a minute. Is that before that fat guy beats blondie to a pulp? Or am I thinking fistful?

heh, is that really them? Sounds like it.

No, it's a parody of Paint Your Wagon/spaghetti westerns.

I haven't seen Paint Your Wagon in years, but I recall liking it quite a bit at the time. Lee Marvin is always pretty awesome, and to this day I get a smile on my face when I remember Clint doing musical numbers.

I think we've discovered a connection in Leone's films, food precedes some sort of violence/tragedy. Remember the picnic in Once Upon a Time in the West?
once_west3.jpg

Crikey, could that guy make a kickace western or what?

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
No way that's squash. Totally beans.

spanish_beans.jpg

Just can't figure out what is giving it the yellow/green ish tint.

aoi tsuki

sefskillz said:
No way that's squash. Totally beans.

spanish_beans.jpg

Just can't figure out what is giving it the yellow/green ish tint.
Tumeric would give garbanzo beans that exact color. That was my first guess when i saw it.

Ichirou

Banned
HyperZone<3 said:
I think we've discovered a connection in Leone's films, food precedes some sort of violence/tragedy. Remember the picnic in Once Upon a Time in the West?

Instances of food or drink preceding violence in Leone...there's actually enough material in those instances for a professional film article. :lol

Ichirou

Banned
Outlaw said:
yes calabaza means pumpkin but in spanish, squash is a pumpkin.

Squash =/= pumpkin, no matter where you're from.

Where ARE you from, anyway? I'm genuinely curious. I'm guessing Puerto Rico or someplace in the Caribbean?

Ichirou

Banned
Squash isn't native to Europe...that's why I'm saying that it's most likely not squash in that soup in the first place.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
What about green beans?

judiasverdes.jpg

Ichirou_Oogami said:
Squash isn't native to Europe...that's why I'm saying that it's most likely not squash in that soup in the first place.
Dude, green squash is as Spanish as it gets. Don't tell me you've never eat this fried/grilled/in omelette

Talas

For some reason I always thought it was a weird kind of pozole made without chili.

The corn seeds are big enough.
pozolequarter0nu.jpg

Ichirou

Banned
Funky Papa said:
Dude, green squash is as Spanish as it gets. Don't tell me you've never eat this fried/grilled/in omelette

I'd never heard zucchini referred to as green squash before...still, what Lee Van Cleef is eating in that picture looks nothing like zucchini, and I've never heard of a zucchini SOUP before. I have eaten it fried, it's quite tasty.

Shinobi

Solo said:
They're eating BestDamnedMovieEverMade Pie, duh. With a side of LeoneIsGod.

:lol You forgot "Washed it all down with a tall glass of MorriconeOwnsYourMother".

Those images remind me of Van Cleef's other eating scene from A Few Dollars More...

Wild, The Hunchback: Well well, if it isn't the smoker. Well... Remember me, amigo?
Col. Douglas Mortimer: M-Mm.
Wild, The Hunchback: 'Course you do. El Paso.
Col. Douglas Mortimer: It's a small world.
Wild, The Hunchback: Yes, and very, very bad. Now come on, you light another match.
Col. Douglas Mortimer: I generally smoke just after I eat. Why don't you come back in about ten minutes?
Wild, The Hunchback: Ten minutes you'll be smoking in hell. *Get up!*

The best trilogy ever made...perfection basically sums them up.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
playing semantics with the spanish language (especially concerning food) is pretty silly.

Solo

Shinobi said:
:lol You forgot "Washed it all down with a tall glass of MorriconeOwnsYourMother".

How could I forget that?! Its only my favorite Morricone score ever too. I hang my head in shame :(

The best trilogy ever made...perfection basically sums them up.

True that. The fact that people claim Star Wars, Indy, LOTR, etc. as the greatest trilogy, while completely ignoring this one makes me hate the world.

fmcato

I can think of a handful of meals served in Almería (where the movie was filmed) that could be the ones on that image. There are many meals made by boiling water with beans, flour balls, peppers, potatos and many more things. The one there could be gurullos (beans + flour balls mostly), but it's hard to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom