• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Favorite Pizza topping?

Favorite pizza topping?

• Total voters

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
Two of my favorite toppings are spicy pepperoni and sausage. The annoying thing about them is that they never seem to stay in place after you slide the pie onto the oven. There's always some degree of shifting. I've even tried light cheese, pepperoni/sausage, and then more cheese so the weight of the cheese anchors the topping. Works Ok, but I really like what I've been doing lately.

I've been dicing the sausage and pepperoni. Seems to stay put better.

Another favorite topping I've recently come to try is roasted cherry/grape tomatoes. I roast them under the broiler until they are nice and black. Much of the water is evaporated and concentrates the tomato flavor. The skin comes right off and it's a GREAT topping on a margherita pizza.

Which brings me to my final point of this post, the MARGHERITA pizza. When I first started making pizza, I had read that the purist will only top pizza with cheese, a little olive oil and basil.

I thought "man those purist/Italians are really stuffy about this pizza business". Now that I'm officially a pizza fanatic, I find myself eating more and more margherita pizzas. I have to say that I was caught off guard and surprise by the margherita. Everytime I make pizza I usually make a pepperoni (usually with jalapeno or mushroom or sausage), and a margherita with roasted cherry tomatoes, lots of basil and a drizzle of OO.

I find myself saving my appetite for the margherita and eating the whole pie while only eating a few slices of the others. There's something really special about fresh mozz, good tomatoes, and fragrant basil and OO.

Anyone have some favorite toppings to share or feel the same way about the margherita pie?

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
Salami for me.

Going for Ungherese, Calabrese, Hungarian Téliszálami or a nice French Saucissons is what elevates a traditional Pizza into soul food. Cut so fine that you can look through it and thrown on top in the last minute.

In general it's hard to pick only one but if i had to it would be this.

Last edited:

LordOfChaos

Cheese is a given right? If it's on the list as a choice for the one topping, it obviously has to be cheese. But if that means cheese as a solo plain pizza with no toppings, I'd take pepperoni as the next topping.

Last edited:

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
Cheese is a given right? If it's on the list as a choice for the one topping, it obviously has to be cheese. But if that means cheese as a solo plain pizza with no toppings, I'd take pepperoni as the next topping.
Certainly, but given how many sorts of cheese there are its obviously also a topping.

Saber

Gold Member
Rucola(arugula) and basil.

edit: John Marston John Marston hating my topping feels like
angry how dare you GIF

Obi Wan GIF by Star Wars

tRDdewU.jpg

Last edited:

Blade2.0

Hawaiian is my fave kind but if I'm only allowed one topping it would be anchovies by themselves. I love the little salty guys!

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
I sometimes order Domino's Extravaganzza pizza for its orgy of meat and it does the job.

It reminds me of my drunken days playin' NHL on Genesis with my buds.

Why do they have a bad rep or am I imagining it?

simpatico

There are two types of pizza in the world; pepperoni and plain. I don't understand the nature of this thread. OP are you one of those people who thinks Pop Tarts are a ravioli?

Mithos

Chickenpizza.

Tomato sauce, cheese, chicken, pineapple, banana, curry.
Tomato sauce, cheese, chicken, peanuts, banana, curry.

Different pizza places have variants of the same, but one these two is what I usually get.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Pepperoni and Italian sausage. Also like onions and sautéed mushrooms, too. I don't like raw mushrooms on pizza, though. No moisture in the mushrooms is wrong.

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
The best and ONLY ingredient is the one Americans hate most
Olives.

30SvsaA.png

Most Americans haven't even ever tried it... Just that cut up mushy shit from a jar that taste more like a mushroom. Sad!

LordOfChaos

The best and ONLY ingredient is the one Americans hate most
Olives.

30SvsaA.png

Most Americans haven't even ever tried it... Just that cut up mushy shit from a jar that taste more like a mushroom. Sad!

Huh? No way that's what Americans hate most, it's a very common pizza topping?

Pineapple is so controversial it's a meme

Cohetedor

Could never choose a single topping. My family's favorite that I made this summer was Caesar dressing, grilled chicken, bacon and mozzarella. Before I roll out the crust I sprinkle it with a hot and spicy everything bagel seasoning.

Blade2.0

I sometimes order Domino's Extravaganzza pizza for its orgy of meat and it does the job.

It reminds me of my drunken days playin' NHL on Genesis with my buds.

Why do they have a bad rep or am I imagining it?
I think Domino's used to be the worst out of the chains, but they did a lot of work in the 2010s to improve their recipes and it shows. They're also usually the cheapest ones nowadays and I think they taste the best. So what I'm saying is, they are great.

Blade2.0

MYrQZiz.jpg

I had some pretty horrible pizzas in China, but also some of the best I've ever had. One of them was this spicy crawdad pizza from pizza hut. Man, I'd love one right this second.

And the other was a chicken curry pizza that used curry sauce instead of tomato sauce. So damn good. Don't have a photo for that one though. Just have to trust me.

Last edited:

ahtlas7

Pizza can’t be reduced to a single topping but must be considered as a harmony of flavors. It’s impossible to pick a singular topping without addressing the cheese, sauce and crust. However, pineapple is a universal topping haha.

Top Bottom