• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aussie Wii Pre-Orders: Free game

polg

p06070617385ey.jpg

worst picture ever...

It is from TRU which also is mentioning a launch in november...

Trurl

Banned
The Black Brad Pitt said:
I bet its just a bundle and not a pack in.
Bundles aren't free. It seems strange for a store to just give a game away, maybe it's a crappy used NES game. :/

No.1

I wonder if it's just through TRU that you get a free game or if all Wii's wiill have this offer.

It's a great idea. The console is apparently a reasonably price and having a free game is always a good deal. I might encourage me to get Wii Sports.

The Wii NEEDS to come with something that teaches the masses how to play with a Wiimote. Its going to be like the first wave of PSP's that had Spiderman on UMD. Something that acts as an incentive and shows off neat-o keen features of Wii.

Its gotta be a pack-in, nothing else makes as much sense.

Polari

We'd better get Wii this year in New Zealand too, otherwise I'm going to be pretty sour. That or just import from Australia.

SumGamer

Polari said:
We'd better get Wii this year in New Zealand too, otherwise I'm going to be pretty sour. That or just import from Australia.
Just import it. From my experience, anything that use electricity don't buy it from NZ retail. BTW, no TradeMe during the first month. I predict someone stupid enough to pay over 2 grands for it. Someone did pay 5 grands for 360 during the first week though.

Could Australia maybe get a system launch before america??? Maybe the Lite was the first sign of this.
Won't help if the system launches here and we only get the games 6 months later.

Please have no region locking... please.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
poppin fresh said:
Could Australia maybe get a system launch before america??? Maybe the Lite was the first sign of this.
Won't help if the system launches here and we only get the games 6 months later.

Please have no region locking... please.

I really hope its not region locked, hopefully then NAL will do more direct importing like they did with Mario Kart DS, I got my copy before the USA (broken street date) here so hopefully they do it with games as well. The PAL/NTSC is really a non-concern now, if you TV does'nt have NTSC it probably cant play Wii fullstop.

Ill be waiting for a AU release of the Wii, even if I have to wait :(

Striek

Considering games will be 1/3-1/2 the price of the console, I can't see it not being a pack-in. Although X360 has 2 free games with it at several places now IIRC.

polg

VOOK said:
I really hope its not region locked, hopefully then NAL will do more direct importing like they did with Mario Kart DS, I got my copy before the USA (broken street date) here so hopefully they do it with games as well. The PAL/NTSC is really a non-concern now, if you TV does'nt have NTSC it probably cant play Wii fullstop.

Ill be waiting for a AU release of the Wii, even if I have to wait :(

I wish I could agree with you. I don't expect Wii to be region free...

hirokazu

not taking the preorder bait just yet... i'm gonna wait till more solid details come out about the system.

i'll only get the Australian/PAL version this time if its not region locked, and they don't decide to screw us over by killing progressive scan in the games again.

oh and the price has to be reasonable compared to overseas prices. damn them overcharging us PAL gamers to no end. :(

otherwise, import time.

medrew

Polari said:

Or just import from the US and buy a AC adaptor (and later games).
I've given up on the prices we get charged here. And the waiting, it seems we have to wait until the European releases get localised before PAL games come out in the rest of the world. :'(
I love the DS for not having to deal with different standards.

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
See Nintendo Australia could play this one of two ways.

1. If its Region locked, Do the same crap as the Cube and Kill it, no progressive, 6 month delays on games for no reason etc.

or

2. If No Lock, Use US stuff, keep progressive, get stuff in quick and not lose out to people who would import.

See back in day there was'nt this thing called the "Internet" and "importing" was for rich people. Now that any monkey with a computer can do it Nintendo Australia have to pick up there game or they aint going to sell squat, everyone will import the US one and then import US games for the rest of the Wii's lifespan.

Nip it in the bud nintendo.

Interesting indeed.

On a completely different note (sort of), I spoke with a Nintendo rep. and she said that retailers in the U.S. would begin getting demo units of the Wii in early September.

Monk

Banned
VOOK said:
See Nintendo Australia could play this one of two ways.

1. If its Region locked, Do the same crap as the Cube and Kill it, no progressive, 6 month delays on games for no reason etc.

or

2. If No Lock, Use US stuff, keep progressive, get stuff in quick and not lose out to people who would import.

See back in day there was'nt this thing called the "Internet" and "importing" was for rich people. Now that any monkey with a computer can do it Nintendo Australia have to pick up there game or they aint going to sell squat, everyone will import the US one and then import US games for the rest of the Wii's lifespan.

Nip it in the bud nintendo.

You forgot to mention price of nintendo gaming. Importing is the way to go if Nintendo tries to rip us off again.

Rotanibor

I think its just going to be a Virtual Console game. Although yeah if its an actual game, I see it being Wii Sports over anything.

Polari

medrew said:
Or just import from the US and buy a AC adaptor (and later games).
I've given up on the prices we get charged here. And the waiting, it seems we have to wait until the European releases get localised before PAL games come out in the rest of the world. :'(
I love the DS for not having to deal with different standards.

I would do that but I've got three or four friends who are planning on buying one too, and it would be nice to be able to borrow each others' games. Hopefully Nintendo will do the right thing though and make it region free.

mj1108

If Nintendo is smart, they'll pack in Wii Sports with the unit. It would be the PERFECT game to show off the Wiimote.

Rlan

Toys 'R Us are usually the best place for gaming pre-orders in Australia anyhow. Most of their [non-compusary] pre-order bundles generally chuck in games people want, and are pretty cheap.

NotWii

Banned
hirokazu said:
not taking the preorder bait just yet... i'm gonna wait till more solid details come out about the system.

i'll only get the Australian/PAL version this time if its not region locked, and they don't decide to screw us over by killing progressive scan in the games again.

oh and the price has to be reasonable compared to overseas prices. damn them overcharging us PAL gamers to no end. :(

otherwise, import time.
QFT

Screenboy

I expect the PAL release of Wii will be next year, I think Nintendo will let me, the rest of Europe & Australia down as they did with the Gamecube by delaying it. (Gamecube having a 'thanksgiving' release in US and a May launch the year after in UK)

imek

There is a similar deal for the PS3, where you put $50 down now and get a free game for launch.

(The image link is down, so I don't know what the term and conditions are on the Wii)

pilonv1

imek said:
There is a similar deal for the PS3, where you put $50 down now and get a free game for launch.

Yep, I checked it out tonight. Pre order either system ($50 deposit) and you get a free game of your choosing at launch (titles TBC).

Zaptruder

Banned
pilonv1 said:
Yep, I checked it out tonight. Pre order either system ($50 deposit) and you get a free game of your choosing at launch (titles TBC).

what? Where is this happening? Who's offering this deal? AAHHHH

Kafel

Banned
Screenboy said:
I expect the PAL release of Wii will be next year, I think Nintendo will let me, the rest of Europe & Australia down as they did with the Gamecube by delaying it. (Gamecube having a 'thanksgiving' release in US and a May launch the year after in UK)

No way.

Sponge Bob Wii from THQ is planned for October in Germany.

Keep the good vibes.

mutsu

It's not the same photo, but here's one that I took this morning:

picture00194jz.jpg

picture00185wc.jpg

EDIT: Beaten... but anyway it's not the same photo, and it's clearer ;)

Top Bottom