• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TheGamepost: Destiny 2 The Final Shape Pre-Orders Appear to be Less Than a Quarter of Lightfall’s Total Figures

Draugoth

Gold Member
analysis-d2-tfs-pre-orders-tgp-thmbnl-2-860x484.jpg

The Game Post analysis shows Destiny 2 The Final Shape has the lowest number of pre-orders when compared to the pre-orders for the last three expansions.

To put this into perspective, Destiny 2’s previous expansion, Lightfall, released in February 2023, has around 2.249 million estimated lifetime pre-orders, The Witch Queen, released in 2022, has 2.244 million lifetime pre-orders, and Beyond Light, released in 2020, has 3.189 million lifetime pre-orders.

Here are the estimated pre-order numbers for all four expansions based on our analysis:

• Beyond Light: 3,189,075
  • The Witch Queen: 2,244,640
  • Lightfall: 2,249,679
  • The Final Shape: 407,601
Destiny 2 The Final Shape Pre-order analysis graph the witch queen beyond light lightfall

Image: The Game Post
Surprisingly, the numbers for all four emblems are still rising to this day. It highlights that the data derived from pre-order emblems does not precisely mirror the actual pre-order numbers, but there exists a solid correlation between the two.

Our analysis also shows that The Final Shape expansion managed to secure rough

Varteras

Gold Member
Bungie's board of directors are about to be given their walking papers.

I don't play the game much, but a friend of mine played it frequently. Right up until shortly after Witch Queen came out. He can't stand it anymore. Said he's tired of all the stupid decisions. The grind. The lacking story.

He hoped the game would evolve in a good way over time. But he feels like every time there's new content, it just keeps feeling like a step back.

He has zero faith in The Final Shape to be anything other than a total letdown. It's the only Destiny expansion he probably won't pre-order.

Last edited:
Destiny 2 is a nightmare and Bungie killed their own golden goose with greed and live service stupidity. The game is unplayable unless you want a second job. No thanks.

Pity. The shooting's awesome.
Yeah, the FOMO in Destiny was what made me finally dropped the game. Played hell of it 2016 - 2020, even in the vanilla destiny 2. But once you took a break from it, the cost of coming back is just way too high. I tried several times, all failed.

Varteras

Gold Member
I tried multiple times to get back into the game starting from the beginning and I had Zero idea what to next so things and bitterly no guidance.
I quickly got worried I was missing things in their order or storyline and just quit.

For a game that is supposed to have this epic space opera storyline, they fucked up royally when they removed entire expansion plots, including the initial storyline, and made a fair bit of it play out over seasonal patches. Which got their story moments removed to make way for new seasons.

Unless you have played every season for years, the story feels like it has a bunch of gaping holes. Now you log in and you're just thrown into an activity grind that feels overwhelming. At least that was all my experience when I tried to jump back in last year.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
Fuck that game still no reply from them on my ban. I hope sony sells them to embracer

Last edited:

Pop

I'm not a Destiny player but still plenty of time for pre orders to pick up, 3 months out. So not a totally fair comparison

However, what Bungie has done to Destiny or the lack thereof warrants this problem. Game has been going down hill for a long time

splattered

Bungie's board of directors are about to be given their walking papers.

I don't play the game much, but a friend of mine played it frequently. Right up until shortly after Witch Queen came out. He can't stand it anymore. Said he's tired of all the stupid decisions. The grind. The lacking story.

He hoped the game would evolve in a good way over time. But he feels like every time there's new content, it just keeps feeling like a step back.

He has zero faith in The Final Shape to be anything other than a total letdown. It's the only Destiny expansion he probably won't pre-order.

Same... I've preordered/bought everything since destiny 1 came out but I finally lost interest unfortunately. My son too. He will prob either play through it and then never again or watch story beats on YouTube. I'll find out what happens in the game from him, I'm just not interested anymore.

Last edited:

NickFire

I remember loving the game. Then friends dropped off and playing solo got old fast. Tried coming back couple times but no one followed and I fizzled out quickly. Franchise always felt like they were happy being B+ / A- to me. So close but too lazy to cross over cause making enough money to be happy with results and not advance the game enough to keep everyone I played with interested.

And didn’t we need to use forums or app to find groups for end game stuff if not enough friends? Yeah, that got old as hell in age of matchmaking.

Last edited:
What would people even be pre-ordering? The last expansion held the promise of grappling hooks and a massive neon city to explore. Likely somewhat false promises that could never live up to the expectations they created for people, but expectations none the less. What are people anticipating about the final expansion, aside from hoping they won't screw up the ending as badly as everything recent leading up to it?

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
That's crazy and F-ed! Up!
I'd keep trying to get it resolved.
What platform were you on?
Everything but ban was from when my steam account was hacked after Xfinity data breach.

was Going to quit anyways, took me weeks to even notice I was banned. Asshole deleted all my good gear to so pointless to go back anyways now.

Bungie turned our to be the most evil of all devs as far as I'm concerned, with all the fomo, lies, and BY FAR worst of all the vaulting (aka taking away hundreds of dollars of content)...

Pretty fucked up that even though I paid for d2 base game + 2 smaller size expansions (all with their own campaigns) and one huge expansion that was excellent (Forspoken), they're all just gone forever. That includes many strikes and even some raids.

Tallied up its $150 worth of stuff I believe. What a bunch of BS that is. All this was done to pave the way for seasonal, grind and new PAID expansions ..

No consideration for game preservation or their fans time and money. Every new piece of content has had less content for higher prices and throughout all this premium content they were running a live service making money through lootboxes, skins, and season passes. Games that follow a free to play model yet are charging full price shouldn't be a thing to begin with!

Never seen any company treat their customers this badly. Even EA doesn't "vault" $150 worth of content in any of their games.

I went from loving Bungie to having total contempt.

The article is stupid and has stupid methodology.

It'll sell fine, supposedly 'end of the saga', and lots of us living that sunk cost fallacy life with this game. And it can't be as bad as Lightfall.

Aces High

I tried multiple times to get back into the game starting from the beginning and I had Zero idea what to next so things and bitterly no guidance.
I quickly got worried I was missing things in their order or storyline and just quit.
That's exactly my experience with the game.

The core gameplay of Destiny 2 is amazing and the combat systems are GOAT tier.

But everything else is just horrible.

During my time with Destiny 2, I never had the slightest idea what I'm doing or what the game is about. I didn't know where to go or what content belongs to what expansion. I'm not even sure if I played the expansion I bought.

Shubh_C63

The article is stupid and has stupid methodology.

It'll sell fine, supposedly 'end of the saga', and lots of us living that sunk cost fallacy life with this game. And it can't be as bad as Lightfall.
Yeah all things considered TFS will sell well but not as much as Witch Queen or Lightfall.

And it's really not possible for it to be worse than Lightfall. What a disaster. Haven't touched the game this entire season, didn't even logged in once.

Bridges

Several times I have considered getting into Destiny, but I absolutely despise the idea of not being able to go through all the content that's come out so far. If I got into Destiny, I'd want to start at the beginning and work my way to current, like I do for any other game. People who love Destiny don't even have nice things to say about the currently available content so why would I jump in now?

Probably for the best, really. But I wonder how many people are like me and would've given it a shot if they could actually access anything?

When I've asked people the best way to get into Destiny they say "There isn't one. it's too late for newcomers". If true that's a pretty bad way to expand your business.

Dthomp

Preorders are such a dumb metric for a game like this. There is literally ZERO reason to preorder this til days before when you can possibly preload the content. For the record, I don't think it's going to sell very well, LF was terrible and the season model they have made the norm is beyond horrible. My hope is it does just bad enough to allow Sony to step in and clear the entire top of Bungie and put people with some brains in charge along with the Get the fuck working on Destiny 3 yesterday.

Lightfall was the deathsong of Destiny.

You dont need insider information to judge the state of Destiny, because it can be judged by its community of players, and when legitimate veteran players are just not interested in bungies bullshit anymore you know you've fucked it up.

You can post up on how much fun you're having and all manner of contrarian opinion, shit I still play it and have since the beginning, you can easily find my postings in the original GAF Destiny 1 alpha threads & giving away Beta codes, it really doesnt matter new or old, it doesn't change that this series is one foot in the grave.

The Final Shape might be amazing, I hope it is but many will use it as a hop off point due to a fatigue developing over the years in the player base toward the game & Bungie itself.

Seeing the story to the end out of obligation to having started it rather than enjoyment is a shitty feeling to have.

End of the day Destiny will be a series remembered for small moments of greatness, marked by great periods of mediocrity.

Bkdk

its shaping up to be the finals for bungie, end of an era. Would be such an interesting year where Japan game industry is on fire releasing above average games one after the other, while big western names like rocksteady, bungie and BioWare all crash and burn with their super disappointing releases within a year. The drama for this year would be remembered for many gaming generations.

Well deserved.

I was an avid D2 player until the shitshow that was LightFall. That was the straw that broke the camel's back for me. Utter abortion of an expansion and the difficulty hike ruined the game, turning what was already a grindy-as-all-hell game into a Korean-MMO-level-WTFBBQ-grindfest.

Fuck Bungie and fuck the writers of LightFall that probably spent so many hours in company-sponsored knitting classes, they forgot to explain the entire Mcguffin that was the entire focal premise of the story of the LF expansion.

Utter fucking horseshit.

Ozzie666

The game is a decade old, what do people expect, honestly? How much GAAS money has this game made since it's release?

DeaDPo0L84

Just like the actor who voices Nimbus, Lightfall didn't have an identity and was a convoluted mess that did nothing but harm to the overall Destiny universe.

Last edited:
Top Bottom