• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sea of Thieves now available for pre-order on PlayStation 5

ManaByte

Gold Member

Sea of Thieves is now available for pre-order on PS5!

There are three editions:

Standard edition for $39.99
Deluxe edition for $49.99
Premium edition for $59.99
Pre-Order gets you:
• Ruby Viper Weapon Set
• Scarlet Storm Parakeet
• Parakeet Kraken Outfit
• Parakeet Sea Dog Outfit

Deluxe has:
• Closed Beta access ahead of launch

Premium has:
• Season 12 Plunder Pass ($10 separately)
• 5 Days Early Access

Honestly I'd go for the Premium.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

I was thinking what the fuck is the point in the deluxe version over the standard, but it includes cash, guns and the soundtrack amongst other things.

SJRB

Gold Member
Pay 10 bucks more to get literally nothing other than to beta test a game?

jerry-lawler-wwf.gif

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Does this have couch co op I can do with my son?

I only ever played the game solo on PC gamepass.

Mr Moose

jerry-lawler-wwf.gif
Deluxe
Pre-order the Sea of Thieves: Deluxe Edition to receive this exclusive content:
• Ruby Viper Weapon Set
• Scarlet Storm Parakeet
• Parakeet Kraken Outfit
Dive into Sea of Thieves with this special edition, which includes a revised copy of the game with all permanent content added since launch, plus a wide-ranging assortment of extra cosmetics and currency.

In addition to a wealth of bonus content – Ocean Crawler Cutlass, Pistol, Shovel, Hat, Jacket, Dress, Trousers, Hook and 10,000 gold – this edition of the game comes with a further Deluxe Bundle containing the Collector's Thunderous Fury Figurehead, Collector's Thunderous Fury Sails and Shrouded Ghost Hunter Blunderbuss.

Additional digital bonuses* include access to the Sea of Thieves Original Soundtrack – 2024 Edition, the Sea of Thieves: Athena's Fortune audiobook and The Rough Guide to Sea of Thieves eBook.

A Sea of Thieves website login is required to access the digital bonuses - visit www.seaofthieves.com/bonuses online and follow the instructions.
Premium
Pre-order the Sea of Thieves: Premium Edition to receive this exclusive content:
• Ruby Viper Weapon Set
• Scarlet Storm Parakeet
• Parakeet Kraken Outfit
• Season 12 Plunder Pass
• 5-Day Early Access ahead of launch
Dive into Sea of Thieves with this special edition, which includes a copy of the game with all permanent content added since launch, plus a wide-ranging assortment of extra cosmetics and currency.

In addition to a wealth of bonus content from the Deluxe Edition – Ocean Crawler Cutlass, Pistol, Shovel, Hat, Jacket, Dress, Trousers, Hook, 10,000 gold, Shrouded Ghost Hunter Blunderbuss, Collector's Thunderous Fury Figurehead and Sails – this edition of the game comes with a further Premium Bundle containing the Collector’s Dark Warsmith Figurehead and Sails, the Dark Warsmith Hull, Flag, Wheel, Capstan, Cannons and Cannon Flare, as well as the Dark Warsmith Costume and the menacing Diabolical Dog pet.

Additional digital bonuses* include access to the Sea of Thieves Original Soundtrack – 2024 Edition, the Sea of Thieves: Athena's Fortune audiobook and The Rough Guide to Sea of Thieves eBook.

* A Sea of Thieves website login is required to access the digital bonuses - visit www.seaofthieves.com/bonuses online and follow the instructions.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Deluxe

Premium

I take it back. It's a lot more that you get.

Premium Bundle containing the Collector’s Dark Warsmith Figurehead and Sails, the Dark Warsmith Hull, Flag, Wheel, Capstan, Cannons and Cannon Flare, as well as the Dark Warsmith Costume and the menacing Diabolical Dog pet.

Collector's Dark Warsmith ship set by itself is $40. ($25 for the basic ship set + $15 for the collectors figure head and sails).

Dark Warsmith costume is $10.

Dog is $5.

That's $55.

Then the Collector's Thunderous Fury figure head and sales are $15 total.

The Ocean Crawler stuff you can get in-game for gold so not assigning a price to those.

So you're looking at $70 in shop cosmetics + $10 for the plunder pass.

So the Premium Edition gets you $80 of bonus stuff for $20 more.

If you're buying Sea of Thieves you are a fucking idiot for not getting the $60 version.

Last edited:

Tsaki

It has been done to plenty of games last year with extremely minimal push back, so I expect paying extra to have the launch of a game not be delayed for you being the standard in the future (and present I guess). Hogwarts Legacy, Mortal Kombat, Starfield (even GP Ultimate subscribers didn't have the game Day 1) all had that. Sony should get on this bandwagon as well since it seems the consumers at large don't care and it's pure profit in the end.

FoqaNMy.jpg

TVexperto

i have gamepass ultimate, how do i access it? also i bought it on xbox separetly, microsoft promised me i can play it on all plattforms because its cross buy! LIARS

Havoc2049

As someone who has been waiting for FFVII Intergrade to drop below 20USD on Steam, this is too expensive for a late port. As someone who doesn't have a PS5, it would be interesting to see the performance of these late MS ports. I do not expect much uptake until the sales hit.
The game has been continuously updated, with some massive updates like the Forsaken Shores, Tall Tales, Pirates of the Caribbean and Secret of Monkey Island, each one about the size of a single AAA game. Tons of bang for your buck in SoT with hundreds of hours of content.

Last edited:

Mossybrew

So is there open PvP? I'm just thinking about crossplay on release, will these pirates who have been playing for years be able to stomp newb swabbies?

If you're buying Sea of Thieves you are a fucking idiot for not getting the $60 version.
I don't understand this mindset. Is the game worth playing or not? You can play the game for $40. Why would anyone commit to $20 of cosmetics upfront? Are you suggesting that it is inevitable that every player will eventually want to buy $70 of cosmetics? Players who do not acquire $70 of cosmetics are idiots? I'd even interpret your statement to be that anyone not willing to acquire $70 in cosmetics shouldn't even bother with the game. Is this an actual game or a fashion show?

It has been done to plenty of games last year with extremely minimal push back, so I expect paying extra to have the launch of a game not be delayed for you being the standard in the future (and present I guess). Hogwarts Legacy, Mortal Kombat, Starfield (even GP Ultimate subscribers didn't have the game Day 1) all had that. Sony should get on this bandwagon as well since it seems the consumers at large don't care and it's pure profit in the end.
I agree. This is ridiculous. Imagine paying full price for a game, and being told that you have to wait five days to play it. Absolutely no legitimate reason for the wait. Simply due to not paying a bribe. It's embarrassing that it has come to this. I guess they know their market. They already have people willing to pay extra for skins and to beta test. Why not go full predator and penalize people who just want to play the actual game.

Mortisfacio

So is there open PvP? I'm just thinking about crossplay on release, will these pirates who have been playing for years be able to stomp newb swabbies?

It's honestly not that bad for new players. My co-workers just started playing a few months back and we've had a blast. Experience/skill is the main difficulty separation, but once you get the hang of things it's pretty fun. Really nice to have someone in your crew who knows what they're doing to help teach the newbs.

No thank you. I tried it on Game Pass, but if you don't have a friend who's a hardcore gamer to play with you from the start, you don't stand a chance. Griefers are setting in wait everywhere and will sink your ship every time they can. You won't even be able to get started, and will have to constantly repair your ship instead of making progress in the game.

If you do have some core friends from the start, it'll be a good time.

Kerotan

Alan Wake €60 (I bought the ultimate edition for 60 on sale also)

Helldivers 2 €40/60 for standard premium

Sea of thieves €40/60

Skull and bones €80/100

Alan was a hit, Helldivers a smash hit. Skull and boner crashed and I think SOT will succeed.

There's a trend here. Unless your game is truly AAA don't charge €80. I feel Skull could have succeeded if sold for €50.

Spyxos

Gold Member
Have fun, it is now a so much better game, than it was at release. I can only recommend it.

Last edited:

Three

jerry-lawler-wwf.gif
Do people still think this kind of early access is beta testing with just 5 days to fix issues before release or have people realised yet that they're just withholding the game for the rest unless they pony up (no pun intended)?

This game's initial release is from 2018, 6 years ago. you'd think they could wait just 5 more days for the actual release and have ironed out most issues by now, 5 days isn't going to make much of a difference.

Aenima

I might buy it during a future promo for around 20€. As a solo player not sure if im gonna enjoy it, but would be worth it just for sailing around as the water look gorgeous in this game.

Last edited:

Havoc2049

Right now there are open servers for both PC and Xbox players and Xbox only servers using a controller. I play on both, but usually play on Xbox only servers, as sometimes you will run into Aimbot hackers on PC in the open servers. It will be interesting to see if they have a console only servers, now that PS5 is in the mix.

There are closed servers called Safer Seas, that Rare added about six months ago for new players. I've never used them, as they are level capped, and the XP and gold earned is reduced in Safer Seas. Part of the fun is the randomness of running into different players and ending either in an alliance or a fight.

Last edited:

Mossybrew

There are closed servers called Safer Seas, that Rare added about six months ago for new players. I've never used them, as they are level capped, and the XP and gold earned is reduced in Safer Seas. Part of the fun is the randomness of running into different players and ending either in and alliance or a fight.
Hmm ok. Sounds like a good place to at least learn the basics before jumping into regular play.

Top Bottom