• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How to Eat Healthy Meals at Restaurants

Status
Not open for further replies.

entremet

Some good tips here:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...=upshot&smid=tw-upshotnyt&_r=1&abt=0002&abg=0

Most meals at American restaurants aren’t healthy. They’re packed with processed food and enough calories to cover two or three sensible meals.

Yet it’s entirely possible to eat both healthy and tasty restaurant meals. And because eating out is one of life’s great pleasures, we’ve put together this guide to smart restaurant eating. It ranges from undeniably healthy meals — with a rich variety of foods, heavy on fruits and vegetables, light on sugar — to fast-food meals that are at least better than the alternatives if you find yourself eating at McDonald's.

Every lunch or dinner here stays under 750 calories — about one-third the number many adults should eat in a day — and many meals are well under; the breakfasts are under 500 calories. We’ll start with some good news: The restaurant scene has never been better.

23healthy-slide-XKBC-jumbo-v3.jpg

23healthy-slide-6ZMD-jumbo-v3.jpg

23healthy-slide-R0FI-jumbo-v2.jpg

Honestly, from looking at some of these pics, I would be starving after eating much of this stuff lol.

Just goes to show how calorie dense fast food is.

Some good tips overall, though.

Chains covered:
Sweetgreen--never heard of this
Pret a Manger--I like this chain , but it's pretty pricey
Olive Garden--Olive Garden? *Tweaks monocle*
Panda Express--I only see this malls, which I don't frequent much
Capital Grille-never heard of this
Starbucks--go here for plain iced coffee only
Umami Burger-heard of this. Have to go. Love Burgers
Denny's--heard of this, of course. Not never been here.
Dunkin Donuts--More of a Starbucks guy.
Lyfe Kitchen--never been here.
Maoz--mediocre and overpriced. I miss the original falafel guys.
Chipotle--my go to fast food joint. so flexible--low carb, low calorie, vegetarian, etc.
Green's Restaurant--never been here.
Ruth's Chris Steak House--never been here
Cheesecake Factory--never been here
And they also have the classics-Wendy's, McDonalds, and Burger King.

Deft Beck

A lot of restaurants have 'healthy' menus nowadays, but the majority of the menus can be unhealthy, yes.

I am guilty of indulging myself when eating out, but I am trying to scale my appetite back a bit.

Watevaman

I go out rarely enough that I'm going to eat whatever looks best. If you're concerned about what you're eating, make it yourself.

I always wondered how Starbucks has so much goodwill with its customers. Most of their flavored drinks have ridiculous amounts of sugar... I'm talking like so sweet that it's disgusting. They put something like FOUR pumps of syrup in their iced coffee.

Chris R

McDonald's new grilled chicken salads are not bad really. If I don't bring lunch to work I don't feel terrible eating it.

I go out rarely enough that I'm going to eat whatever looks best. If you're concerned about what you're eating, make it yourself.

Basically this. I only go to a restaurant a few times a year, so I eat whatever I want and ignore my diet. I can just skip a couple meals without issue to even it out.

Faddy

Banned
I thought this was going to be about real restaurants, not shitty chains.

Pro Tip: The reason restaurant food tastes so good is that they don't skimp on the salt.

entremet

I always wondered how Starbucks has so much goodwill with its customers. Most of their flavored drinks have ridiculous amounts of sugar... I'm talking like so sweet that it's disgusting. They put something like FOUR pumps of syrup in their iced coffee.

Just ask for no sweetener. Sweetened ice coffee is gross.

Pro Tip: The reason restaurant food tastes so good is that they don't skimp on the salt.

Also butter or fats in general.

I worked at a French restaurant. The ylove their butter. The baste most entrees in butter melted with herbs and garlic. It's glorious.

None of that stuff is healthy, only lower in calories. Lower calories doesn't mean healthier.

I would agree, but NYTimes, like most mainstream news outlet is still on the calorie focus of healthy eating.

The chains are just example. The article has principles that you can follow at real restaurants.

Honestly, though, if you're going to a 4 start, while tablecloth fancy pants restaurant, just give up at that point. It's an event. It's not like you're eating there every day. Forget about dieting and enjoy the chef's work.

Just make going to shit restaurants like these a rarity and eat smaller portions/turn it into two meals by boxing it.

You're never going to make these places "healthy," but you can restrict your exposure to them, not to mention your caloric intake.

D

Deleted member 12837

Unconfirmed Member
None of that stuff is healthy, only lower in calories. Lower calories doesn't mean healthier.

Just make going to shit restaurants like these a rarity and eat smaller portions/turn it into two meals by boxing it.

You're never going to make these places "healthy," but you can restrict your exposure to them, not to mention your caloric intake.

Plenty of those places are quite healthy, they just offer the consumer the option to make their meals very unhealthy (and diners often do).

CoryCubed

You also have to break habits and stop assuming it won't be filling enough. I can fill up on a McDonalds chicken salad (not saying it's healthy) as easily as a 20PC nugget meal. I used to think at Taco Bell I had to get the big box or make it a full combo, but I found the simple Fritos Burrito and a small drink can do the job.

if ur eating at restaurants enough to warrant this this, ur doing it wrong. if you eat out once a week, at any restaurant, fast food or otherwise, you should be able to eat whatever you want (within reason)

way more

Don't go to shitty restaurants. Good restaurants make sure to serve only healthy food, amazing how americans don't know this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom